The "A" in Stephen A. Smith

4 posters

Go down

The "A" in Stephen A. Smith Empty The "A" in Stephen A. Smith

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:52 pm

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/03/celtics_notebook_jared_sullinger_schools_doubters

The "A" in Stephen A. Smith 032514sullinger1

WALTHAM — Jared Sullinger knows what it’s like when fortunes rise and fall during the NCAA tournament.

The second-year Celtics forward went 5-for-19 from the floor on the way to 13 points in his last college game, an Ohio State loss to Kansas in the 2012 Final Four.

“In the back of my phone,” Sullinger said yesterday, referencing a bit of motivation he’s retained, “Chad Ford was on (ESPN’s) ‘First Take’ and Stephen A. Smith said, ‘I don’t know if he’s a first-rounder yet. I might not even draft him.’ It kind of reminds myself why I’m out here, what I need to do. It kind of puts fuel to the fire, so I remember two years ago when everybody said I couldn’t play in the NBA. I was too small. I wouldn’t be able to score. All that stuff. I look at those guys and I kind of laugh, but I’ve still got to prove people wrong.”

Sullinger ended up being selected 21st overall by the C’s and has done quite well in the league, especially as he works his way into a better groove after back surgery shortened his rookie season. He’s averaging 12.8 points and 8.2 rebounds in 65 games this season — and he still has room for improvement.

“We started talking about that a while ago,” coach Brad Stevens said of the offseason blueprint for Sullinger. “He’s got a game plan of what he wants to do from a strength, conditioning and playing standpoint, and we’re all on board with that. We’ve already discussed that in pretty good detail with him. I think it’s most about conditioning. It’s mostly about being able to play longer stretches as effectively as possible.

“But for a young guy in his second year, he’s had a lot of great moments. The focus will be on enhancing the number of times he can have those moments.”

Taking a long view

Stevens and the Celtics have been watching things not only from a game-to-game basis but from a development viewpoint.

“I think that we’ve continued to have pretty good spirit amongst us, which is good, and we’ve seen some increase in production from certain guys,” Stevens said. “You know, I think we probably get too caught up in talking about young guys, because we’ve got a lot of guys that aren’t old that are also on contract and will hopefully be a part of us as we move toward the future, as well. The most tangible way for everybody to evaluate is by their statistics in the game, but we get to see them every day, and we get to see their work in the weight room and see the work on the court, the practice habits, their shooting before, their shooting after.

“You know, all of those things that add up. And I think it goes back to, when you’re on the floor, how efficient are you? I think that’s something we all need to get better with. There’s no question about it; we’re not a very efficient team, especially on the offensive end of the floor. So hopefully, piece by piece, we can get better at that and continue grow in that — each and every one of us — not only the guys that are most likely going to be back.”

bob
MY NOTE:  It certainly doesn't stand for "Astute".

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The "A" in Stephen A. Smith Empty Re: The "A" in Stephen A. Smith

Post by k_j_88 Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:47 pm

Steven A. Smith...

What can I say about him? I don't agree with everything he says, and definitely not about Sullinger. Every once in a while, he'll say something that makes sense, but most of it is hot air.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:51 pm

I know a lot of people can't stand Dickie V......... but I'd take a bakers dozen of Dickie V's than even 1 of SAS, and twice that on Sundays. ESPN dumped his sorry butt once, but like that Poltergeist, "He's Baaack"

I just have to turn the channel when he's on screen. Or at leas mute the darn thing.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:06 pm

beat wrote:I know a lot of people can't stand Dickie V......... but I'd take a bakers dozen of Dickie V's than even 1 of SAS, and twice that on Sundays. ESPN dumped his sorry butt once, but like that Poltergeist, "He's Baaack"

I just have to turn the channel when he's on screen. Or at leas mute the darn thing.

beat

ESPN, by and large, is filled with moronic talking heads that lack any semblance of common sense.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:10 pm

k_j_88 wrote:
beat wrote:I know a lot of people can't stand Dickie V......... but I'd take a bakers dozen of Dickie V's than even 1 of SAS, and twice that on Sundays. ESPN dumped his sorry butt once, but like that Poltergeist, "He's Baaack"

beat

ESPN, by and large, is filled with moronic talking heads that lack any semblance of common sense.

KJ

I think most are fine..... only a couple I can't stand. And SAS is perhaps #1 on the podium.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:13 pm

beat wrote:
I think most are fine..... only a couple I can't stand. And SAS is perhaps #1 on the podium.

beat

Okay, I'll backtrack a bit. I like Chris Berman, Stuart Scott, and Sage Steele. But that's it.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:24 pm

I love Dickie V.  Thanks to him Auerbach fleeced McHale and Parish and we had a contender for a decade.  Thank you Dickie.

Hard to believe the guy was once a head coach in the NBA.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down