Hibbert Benched In 2nd Half Of Loss For Watching Cartoons

+2
beat
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Hibbert Benched In 2nd Half Of Loss For Watching Cartoons Empty Hibbert Benched In 2nd Half Of Loss For Watching Cartoons

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:58 am

Report: Roy Hibbert Benched In 2nd Half Of Loss for Watching Cartoons
Posted on Apr 7 2014 - 1:23am by Gary Derrick Altenor

Hibbert Benched In 2nd Half Of Loss For Watching Cartoons Screen-Shot-2014-04-07-at-12.42.54-AM-300x231
Roy Hibbert benched for watching ‘King of the Hill’ cartoons

The Indiana Pacers’ Roy Hibbert was benched by head coach Frank Vogel for coming out of the locker room late after halftime. Hibbert’s reason for his tardiness; he was too focused watching cartoon “King Of The Hill.”

Pacers analyst Candace Buckner of IndyStarSports reports via Twitter:

Hibbert was watching “King of the Hill” promo while teammates focused in. Very, very poor body language from one of the “leaders” of this tm

— Candace Buckner (@CandaceDBuckner) April 6, 2014

Hibbert Benched In 2nd Half Of Loss For Watching Cartoons Original-300x225
King of the Hill cartoon photo credit: Fox.com
King of the Hill cartoon
photo credit: Fox.com

Jeff Teague led the way for the Atlanta Hawks, scoring 25 points major points in their 107-88 win over the Pacers. Pero Antic contributed a career-high 18 points and six rebounds.

The Pacers established a franchise record for their low-scoring first half with 23 points. All-Star center Hibbert scored 0 points (0-of-5 from the field) while grabbing 0 rebounds and 0 block shots in nine minutes of action.

Great win for the Hawks, who now move into the 8th seed in the East Conference standings. Not so great for the continued nightmare stretch for the Indiana Pacers.

bob
MY NOTE:  If this is true, then this might be one of the most amazing stories I've heard in a very, very long time.  Not just that he is so completely disconnected from team play and his job, but that it is coming just one week after being quoted by David Aldridge on 3/1 as saying this "“Some selfish dudes in here,” Roy Hibbert muttered Friday night, after getting eight shots in the Pacers’ loss to the Wizards. “Some selfish dudes. I’m tired of talking about it. We’ve been talking about it for a month.”

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, apparently it runs through Indiana too.  We've all been hurting through this Celtic season and we've all had bitches about one thing or another (e.g. Jeff Green's inconsistencies, Kelly's lack of athleticism, Vitor's "wave" pics) but one thing we can say is that, other than the occasional night off, this Celtic team scraps.  Stevens has his rookie moments coaching but he has everybody playing hard, even with the likelihood of positive reinforcement from winning so low, he has them scrapping for everything. Not even the much-disdained Keith Bogans pulled something like this.  In fact, just the opposite, he was upset because he didn't play.  This really does blow my mind a bit.  The Pacers are expected to be in the EC Finals this year (although those predictions might be getting revised even as we speak) and a starter pulls this s--t with only a handful of games left before the playoffs?

The NBA, where some amazingly stupid s--t happens.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Hibbert Benched In 2nd Half Of Loss For Watching Cartoons Empty Re: Hibbert Benched In 2nd Half Of Loss For Watching Cartoons

Post by beat Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:16 pm

Bob

In his small defense............The episode where he's trying to teach Bobby to catch a baseball, then the one with Bobby being caught learning to dance by using the family dog, and the one where they loose there seats to new people in church, then there is the one about.............oh I'm suppose to be working.

It is a funny show though.

beat

At least it wasn't reruns of Gilligan's Island
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Hibbert Benched In 2nd Half Of Loss For Watching Cartoons Empty Re: Hibbert Benched In 2nd Half Of Loss For Watching Cartoons

Post by Sloopjohnb Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:34 pm

It's amazing how quickly Indiana has gone from contender to shaky at best, ready to fall apart at worse.

To quote David St Hubbins of Spinal Tap, "There's such a thin line between brilliance and stupidity."

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:01 pm

Sloop

Given where I work and what I see.......... that line is pretty wide.

When I was coaching 7th grade baseball ( they could not find anyone else) I really did not want to coach the team Marcus played on at that level... anyway there were NO CUTS and all kids had to play. Some kids had never even played Little league, it was a difficult task to say the least with 22 kids on the team. One game I was talking to them on the bench and I noticed a kid with earbuds in both ears while a I was going over signs..... he did not play that game and the parents were somewhat upset. After the game they came up to me, I told them talk to your son first ask him why and if you still have a problem then talk to me. Never heard from them.

Just hard to imagine how someone being paid as much as he, who the off/on switch can be in the off position at halftime of a game that means a lot.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:37 pm

Whatever is wrong with the Pacers, it goes beyond Hibbert watching cartoons at halftime in a game where the team scored 23 points in the first half and fell behind by 30 points to the Hawks to say nothing about their performance since the All-star break.

Did swapping Danny Granger destroy team chemistry?  Is it the curse of Andrew Bynum?

The team has not had any injuries and the player moves have been tweaks.  Yet the Pacers are nothing like they were just a little more than a month ago.

Is the team that collectively fragile?

As the Village People tell us, "No man does it all by himself."

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:45 pm

Hibbert needs to act as a leader. This team is in disarray, and it can be overcome, as soon as this team gets back to the basics. Remember what got you to the point and replicate it. They have the talent to.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:56 pm

The more I thought about this report, the less I believed it. I looked for an April 1 date for the story, but it was April 6. So I looked into it further.

From what I can tell, Gary Altenor, the person who wrote this post (I won't call it an article), got some key facts wrong.

Here's Altenor's post:

http://basketballbicker.com/roy-hibbert-benched-2nd-half-loss-watching-cartoons/#

The key supporting piece of information in the article is a tweet from Candace Buckner of IndyStarSports:

Hibbert was watching "King of the Hill" promo while teammates focused in. Very, very poor body language from one of the "leaders" of this tm

However, look at this article by that very same Candace Buckner:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2014/04/06/pacers-embarrassed-home-lose-atlanta/7398239/

In her article, Buckner puts the chronology this way:

1. Hibbert was missing in action in the first half. He played nine minutes, missed all five of his shots, had no rebounds, no blocks, no steals, no nothing except one turnover.

2. Hibbert wasn't the only one who didn't show up in the first half. At halftime, the Pacers trailed the Hawks (the Hawks!) 55-23, setting a record for fewest points in the first half in franchise history.

3. At halftime, Frank Vogel apparently told Hibbert he was done for the night. One of the factors was that Atlanta's big men, Pero Antic and Paul Millsap, were shooting from the perimeter and were a bad matchup for Hibbert.

4. Hibbert was late coming out of the locker room at halftime and didn't join the bench until a minute and half into the third quarter.

5. During a timeout in the third quarter, Hibbert was standing on the outside of the huddle. A King of the Hill clip with Pacers George Hill and Solomon Hill was playing on the scoreboard, and Hibbert looked up to watch the clip rather than pay attention to what was going on during the huddle.

So, from what I can tell, the Pacers were epically awful, Hibbert was awful, Hibbert was late coming out at halftime, and Hibbert spent part of a timeout watching a King of the Hill clip on the scoreboard. There is plenty to criticize at the moment regarding the Pacers, and blame can be fairly sent Hibbert's way, but this "report" of Hibbert being benched after being late coming out of the locker room because he was watching cartoons appears to be false.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:22 am

Outside wrote:The more I thought about this report, the less I believed it. I looked for an April 1 date for the story, but it was April 6. So I looked into it further.

From what I can tell, Gary Altenor, the person who wrote this post (I won't call it an article), got some key facts wrong.

Here's Altenor's post:

http://basketballbicker.com/roy-hibbert-benched-2nd-half-loss-watching-cartoons/#

The key supporting piece of information in the article is a tweet from Candace Buckner of IndyStarSports:

Hibbert was watching "King of the Hill" promo while teammates focused in. Very, very poor body language from one of the "leaders" of this tm

However, look at this article by that very same Candace Buckner:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2014/04/06/pacers-embarrassed-home-lose-atlanta/7398239/

In her article, Buckner puts the chronology this way:

1. Hibbert was missing in action in the first half. He played nine minutes, missed all five of his shots, had no rebounds, no blocks, no steals, no nothing except one turnover.

2. Hibbert wasn't the only one who didn't show up in the first half. At halftime, the Pacers trailed the Hawks (the Hawks!) 55-23, setting a record for fewest points in the first half in franchise history.

3. At halftime, Frank Vogel apparently told Hibbert he was done for the night. One of the factors was that Atlanta's big men, Pero Antic and Paul Millsap, were shooting from the perimeter and were a bad matchup for Hibbert.

4. Hibbert was late coming out of the locker room at halftime and didn't join the bench until a minute and half into the third quarter.

5. During a timeout in the third quarter, Hibbert was standing on the outside of the huddle. A King of the Hill clip with Pacers George Hill and Solomon Hill was playing on the scoreboard, and Hibbert looked up to watch the clip rather than pay attention to what was going on during the huddle.

So, from what I can tell, the Pacers were epically awful, Hibbert was awful, Hibbert was late coming out at halftime, and Hibbert spent part of a timeout watching a King of the Hill clip on the scoreboard. There is plenty to criticize at the moment regarding the Pacers, and blame can be fairly sent Hibbert's way, but this "report" of Hibbert being benched after being late coming out of the locker room because he was watching cartoons appears to be false.

^ Great fact finding!!  

Unfortunately, Gary Altenor's incorrect version is the one that will stick in the memories of most people.  Oftentimes when the truth comes out, the masses have moved off to next sensational story and only remember how the old story hit the news stand; big and bold and up front.  Retractions, if printed at all, end up on the sixth page and never have the lasting power of sensationalism.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down