Post-Kardashian, Kris Humphries Has Settled In With Celtics

3 posters

Go down

Post-Kardashian, Kris Humphries Has Settled In With Celtics Empty Post-Kardashian, Kris Humphries Has Settled In With Celtics

Post by bobheckler Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:44 pm

Post-Kardashian, Kris Humphries has settled in with Celtics

Post-Kardashian, Kris Humphries Has Settled In With Celtics 123113celticsms13
Photo by: Matt Stone
HUMPHRIES: Former Net likes what he sees in Celtics despite this year’s struggles.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014
By:  Mark Murphy

The trip was exhausting and, for Kris Humphries, depressing.

Mikhail Prokhorov bought the New Jersey Nets, and as a kickoff to the 2010 exhibition season, the oligarch owner flew his new team to Moscow for practice. Games in Beijing and Shanghai followed.

And Humphries was buried. The Nets had traded for Troy Murphy, drafted Derrick Favors, and even added the antiquarian Joe Smith. That left Humphries as the fourth power forward.

“I got traded from Dallas to the Nets when they were having that really bad year (2008-09). They had three wins when I got there, and it was all about, ‘We’re not going to set this record (for losses),’ ” the Celtics forward said. “We were dysfunctional in every way from personalities to on the court, every which way. I got through that year, played consistent minutes, and the next year Avery Johnson comes in. He’s a new coach, brings in players he wanted. I picked up my player option and I was just there on the outskirts.

“I just kept working. I didn’t even play much in the preseason. That was one of the toughest times in my life right there. I was four deep, not playing. So I kept working.”

It all changed in a video session following an early-season game against Miami. Humphries blocked a reverse dunk attempt by Dwyane Wade, and then sprinted down the other end to finish the play with a layup.

Johnson kept replaying the sequence.

“Guys on this team want minutes? This is what they have to do,” he said, using a guy who wasn’t getting minutes as the example.

Humphries felt a smile growing inside.

“I was like, ‘Man, does this mean I might be getting some minutes here soon?’ ” he said.

Favors, still attempting to reach his potential in Utah, ultimately came off the bench behind Humphries. Murphy was traded to Golden State the following February. Smith, tied with three other players for the most stops (15) in NBA history, was traded to his last team, the Lakers, that December.

Humphries’ career progression never varies. He starts at a low ebb, like the 12.4 minutes he averaged over 13 games last November under Brad Stevens. Then he climbs. By December he had averaged 20.5 minutes in 10 games, and 24.9 minutes in 16 games in January.

While a sore right meniscus has limited his time this month — Humphries will undergo an MRI today because of recurring knee soreness — nothing is going to change his approach now.

Unreal reality

In May 2011, shortly after Humphries began his engagement to Kim Kardashian and entered the maddening realm of TMZ and reality television, he was congratulated by a New York Post reporter.

Humphries’ first reaction was an attempt to keep his professional life separate when he said, “The only ring I care about is a championship ring.”

His 72-day marriage to the reality star, which ended in October 2011 with an annulment and an international media firestorm, still triggers the occasional tremor. He’s still courted by the occasional “Mr. Kardashian” heckle while at the free throw line in an enemy arena.

But Boston has been Humphries’ escape hatch — a refreshing break from that bizarre chapter in his past. Humphries, though, insists the eruptions in his private life never affected his responsibilities as a basketball player.

“Not on the court. For me, and a lot of people are similar, basketball is a release. The place where life is in its purest form is on the basketball court. It’s all about doing something you’ve done forever, and not thinking about anything else.

“The thing with all of that stuff, though, is that I performed through all of that and played great through all of that,” he added. “Brooklyn was up and down, but that was more team stuff, and Avery (Johnson) getting fired, and injuries. Being here has been great. I’ve worked a lot on my game.

“Because Boston is such a sports town, that’s what everyone loves and focuses on. Being here was great. More quiet, not as much going on,” he said. “Though Boston has a lot, it’s not New York City. New York is different. The media is a whole different beast in New York. But everything is a great experience. We did make the playoffs and win seven games (last season). People say we should have won more.”

Despite the circus in New York, Humphries put up the most consistent numbers of his career, averaging a double-double in each of the 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons. Given minutes this season, he’s found similar consistency.

Humphries has said he would like to return — a surprise, considering he will be courted by playoff teams when his contract expires on June 30. Agent Arn Tellum has held preliminary talks with Celtics president Danny Ainge, understanding that the team can’t predict its direction right now.

But Humphries senses the Celtics aren’t far from a return to relevance.

“Look at the direction we’re heading in,” he said. “Obviously this year there was disappointment. But Brad’s a winner, Ainge has proven to be a winner on multiple levels. The organization and fans are great. The chance to be part of a playoff team here will be great. I think it’s possible. Ultimately it comes down to what the players do, but it’s one of those things where you get comfortable somewhere, and hopefully you can be there for a while and have success.”

Patience pays off

Humphries has been congratulated by Stevens and Ainge for his patience, which is one aspect of professionalism.

Not every Net included in last summer’s trade for Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett was so amenable. Keith Bogans, signed to a $5 million deal to make the trade numbers work and give the Celtics flexibility, was asked to go home when his discontent over playing time became apparent.

“I don’t really want to comment on his situation or what unfolded,” Humphries said. “But speaking in generalities it’s a difficult situation for players to be in. I don’t know what unfolded with Keith, but he was always encouraging to MarShon (Brooks) and I. It’s no secret that he ended up here by his contract to make the deal go through. It’s the business side.”

Patience can be part of the business side, too.

“NBA is a great thing,” Humphries said. “Just to compete here as long as possible is the idea. If you’re going to be a problem for your team and be a bad teammate, you’ll end up out of the league and overseas. Or you can be ready for your opportunity and control what you can control.

“A lot of the guys in my draft class who weren’t consistent rotation players, and some who were, aren’t in the league anymore. It’s interesting to go back and look at your draft class and see how they’re doing. For me, it’s been hard work and having great people on staff.”

Humphries believes he has that combination now.

bob
MY NOTE: I was taught, when I was growing up, that when you make a mistake you "man up", accept responsibility and do what you can to fix the problem. Well, I was all wrong about Kris Humphries at the start of the season. I let myself get hung up on his contract and on all the peripheral crap like his on-court issues with Rondo. I'd be ecstatic if he re-signs with us for a fair price and assuming there's no issue with his knee. I don't know how Danny can work all the numbers, but I'm hoping he's back.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post-Kardashian, Kris Humphries Has Settled In With Celtics Empty Re: Post-Kardashian, Kris Humphries Has Settled In With Celtics

Post by Sam Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:16 pm

He wins my MCP Award.  Most Consistent Player.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post-Kardashian, Kris Humphries Has Settled In With Celtics Empty Re: Post-Kardashian, Kris Humphries Has Settled In With Celtics

Post by k_j_88 Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:50 pm

I was never the biggest fan of him before. But he's made a huge impression on me since joining the team.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down