Sam
KyleCleric
kdp59
k_j_88
bobheckler
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Adrian W:  Love May Be Available Now and Boston is One of The Teams Lining Up Empty Adrian W: Love May Be Available Now and Boston is One of The Teams Lining Up

Post by bobheckler Sun May 18, 2014 11:48 am

Sources: Sam Mitchell emerges as Minnesota candidate with Kevin Love's future undecided
Adrian Wojnarowski By Adrian Wojnarowski
7 hours ago
Yahoo Sports

As the Minnesota Timberwolves consider the future of All-Star forward Kevin Love, Sam Mitchell has emerged as a serious candidate for the franchise's head coaching job, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Mitchell left a good impression with Wolves president Flip Saunders in a recent meeting and has moved himself into consideration for the job, league sources said.

Beyond the coaching search, the Wolves are under pressure to start considering trade scenarios for Love, who's anxious to exercise his Early Termination Option (ETO) in the summer of 2015 and leave as a free agent, league sources said.

"For the first time, [Saunders] sounds like looking at deals for [Love] is an option," one rival executive told Yahoo Sports.

The Boston Celtics, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers and Phoenix Suns are among many teams determined to make hard runs at trades for Love, league sources said. Boston and Los Angeles plan to make high-lottery picks in the 2014 NBA Draft available in offers for Love, sources said.

No team is likely to trade for Love without an assurance that he'll commit to a five-year, $100 million maximum contract extension. Despite a belief that Love prefers Los Angeles or New York as a potential destination, he's open to deals in other markets where he can be part of an immediate contender, sources said.

Nevertheless, Saunders has made finding a coach to help convince Love to reconsider free agency as a top priority, but the bigger issue for the All-Star forward comes with a roster that hasn't been talented enough to make the Western Conference playoffs.

Minnesota probed several top college coaches, including Florida's Billy Donovan, Michigan State's Tom Izzo and Iowa State's Fred Hoiberg, sources said, but those coaches weren't inclined to seriously consider the Wolves job. The broad belief that the Wolves will have to trade Love has made coaches leery of the franchise's future.

Mitchell has a strong history with Saunders and Minnesota, where he had two stops as a player -- 1989-1992 and 1995-2002. Mitchell played for Saunders in his second stint.

As the Toronto Raptors coach for parts of five seasons, Mitchell reached the playoffs twice and won the NBA coach of the year award in 2007. After his firing into Toronto in 2010, he spent a season with the Nets as an assistant coach. He's been a television analyst and radio host since leaving the Nets in 2011.

bob
MY NOTE:  Normally I wouldn't have given this a second thought, just another writer trying to fill column inches and make a buck or two, but it is written by Adrian Woj and he is very good.  Very good.  He is right a heckuva lot more times than he's wrong and that make this a rumor worth considering as actually percolating (as opposed to those completely BS Rondo rumors).

Of the teams mentioned, Boston has the best shot, if Danny really, really wants Love.  Aside from this draft pick (and if we don't get a top 3, and if Exum is tepid about Boston, then who would we want?  The BPA makes for a good trade chip but it doesn't help us directly if it doesn't fit a need) Danny can offer combinations of Sully, Kelly and/or Green (or a Joel Anthony throw-in.  According to the NBA Trade Machine, Sully + Green + Anthony for Kevin Love works).  There's also the $10.3M trade exception that could be used to sweeten the deal.  He can also offer picks from future years (God knows we've got enough to spare and then some).  Lastly, Boston has the advantage of being in the other conference, so Love can't come back to haunt them 6x a year plus the playoffs.

The Lakers have this year's pick to offer and that's about it.  They don't have a first round pick next year and the rest of their roster is old or middle-of-the-road.  GSW can offer Klay Thompson (but I doubt it), Harrison Barnes and David Lee but their pick this year is weak.
 Phoenix can offer Plumlee, Len, one of the Morris brothers, Frye and next year Lakers' pick (top 5 protected).

Love makes $14.7M this year and $15.7M next year.  No team will trade for him unless he agrees to sign a 5-year contract when it is time.  After the Howard debacle not even Dimbo in LA will make that mistake again.  If he does Jeannie will personally load the gun with hollowpoints.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Adrian W:  Love May Be Available Now and Boston is One of The Teams Lining Up Empty Re: Adrian W: Love May Be Available Now and Boston is One of The Teams Lining Up

Post by k_j_88 Sun May 18, 2014 12:13 pm

I don't personally think Kevin Love is worth the assets it would take to sign him.

He scores and rebounds well, which is always a plus. Overall, he's a pretty good PF, but not a great defender. And that fact alone makes me hesitant about such a move.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Adrian W:  Love May Be Available Now and Boston is One of The Teams Lining Up Empty Re: Adrian W: Love May Be Available Now and Boston is One of The Teams Lining Up

Post by kdp59 Sun May 18, 2014 12:36 pm

yep.....Sully, Green and this years lotto pick along with a future first round pick should be the best offer that Minny will get.

like you said, after the ping pong ball show , we might hear more about a love trade here. if we are at 4-8 Ainge should be working it hard.

PS: if it works out, keep that $10M trade exception for Sanders at Mil.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Sun May 18, 2014 12:38 pm

With Love, you're getting one of the top players in the NBA. The best scoring big and probably the NBAs best rebounder. He's probably fine with his individual D but he's not a difference maker, like KG was, in terms of creating team D. So if we did add him to go with Rondo and presumably a re-signed Avery Bradley, we'd still have holes at the small forward and center positions. I would hope that a trade for Love would be part of several moves. Would it be possible to trade for Love while keeping a top 3 pick (Jabari Parker) and trading for Asik or Gortat as well as filling backup roles?

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun May 18, 2014 12:40 pm

I prefer the idea of getting a center instead. The Celtics are well stocked at the 4 spot.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Sun May 18, 2014 12:56 pm

k_j_88 wrote:I prefer the idea of getting a center instead. The Celtics are well stocked at the 4 spot.

KJ

Me, too. Though plenty of risks in the options out there.

Draft:
Joel Embiid
Noah Vonleh

NBA:
Omer Asik
Marcin Gortat
Larry Sanders

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun May 18, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm a bit torn on this.

I've said that Love is one of only two players I'd trade Sully for (LaMarcus Aldridge being the other), so I can't just rule this out.

There is no other team sport that I can think of where one player can have as big an impact on team performance and W-L as basketball.  That's because there's only 5 players on the floor/team at any one time and starters play 65-70% of the total minutes.  That's why an upgrade at any starting position is significant.  Is Love an upgrade over Sully?  I've heard people say that Sully could become "Kevin Love-lite".  Well, becoming Kevin Love-lite is not as good as actually being Kevin Love.  Remember that old car commercial, "it's just as good as a BMW"?  Well, "just as good as a BMW" isn't the same as actually being a BMW.

On the other hand, if we sign Love to a max deal, then how can we do the rest?  We can't pick up Sanders' $11M (why would Milwaukee give up a center for a one-year $10.3M salary break unless they're convinced his injury is career-threatening/ending and they're willing to take nothing except salary dump to get rid of him?) on top of that.  And then what's left to entice Morey of Houston to part with Asik?  How do we afford Sanders (or Asik or Gortat; all of which will be making about the same $.  Remember, Asik will be in his last year next year, which means that Rondo's, Love's and Asik's contracts will all start in 2015-2016.  Only Gortat's would start 2015 and Sanders is ongoing) AND sign Love to a max contract AND sign Rondo to a hefty contract next year AND resign Bradley?

I love Sully and I wouldn't be happy about losing him, but I wasn't happy about losing Big Al either.  Bottom line though is that you almost always have to give value to gain value and you're not going to get a player that's considered one of the top 3 players at his position for nothing.  And having Rondo and Love would give us 2 All-Stars. It's a lot easier, I would think, to get a 3rd All-Star when you already have 2.

This will become a lot more clear on Tuesday, a lot more clear.  If we drop to 8th and the Lakers get lucky and get up to 3rd then who knows what Flip Saunders will be thinking?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun May 18, 2014 1:10 pm

Apparently, Love has told the Wolves that, if they don't trade him, he'll definitely leave in free agency after the coming season. So there's now plenty of motivation for Minny to be looking to move him.

Despite the esteem in which we hold Sully, Bass, Kelly and Humph, Love is pretty much the gold standard at PF. I'm not thrilled with his defense; but, with a good team defensive system and playing next to an intimidator, I think his defensive contributions would be quite adequate.

A side benefit to getting him (although it's not the prime reason to consider trading for him) would be to keep him from going to the Lakers, who (along with the Knicks) appear to be his top choices.

My major concern involves what it would take to get him. An intimidator in the middle (I refuse to use the RP term because it's too limited) has to be the main priority in this off-season. I wouldn't want to see them invest so much in Love (sounds like a lonely hearts club) that they wouldn't have enough trade chips to get the intimidator.

That's where timing could be important. I'd like to see them sew up the intimidator first and then see if they have enough chips to get Love. Not the other way around.

With a true intimidator, Love and Rondo, they'd have a nucleus around which to build for the future. The center and point guard positions are inarguably the two most important, and Love could represent the star I keep hearing they need. I've always felt that good wing players are easiest to get.

Danny promised fireworks. A deal for Love would definitely qualify as long as is doesn't backfire by decimating their trade chips and blow up the progression toward the future.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Sun May 18, 2014 1:21 pm

It kind of bothers me that Love would be insisting that he's leaving. While his people say it's because of the lack of winning in Minnesota, his people also are saying he'd like to go to the Knicks or Lakers. The TWolves are in much better shape in terms of the talent around him than what either of those teams couldn't offer him after they had traded assets for him. Seems like the information provided by his people indicate a desire of Kevin Love to chase a big market.

Asik similarly bothers me by his insistence that he'll only play if he's the starting center.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun May 18, 2014 1:26 pm

well Bob,

we'd still have Bass,Kelly, Bogans non-guaranteed deal, future draft picks as well as that trade exception to bring in a center in trade.

I said Sanders , only thinking what IF Milwaukee decide to draft Embiid?

then they would want to move Sanders and his new $11M per deal.

getting the cap space alone might not be enough, but maybe the Clippers first rounder next season along with it could work.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun May 18, 2014 1:30 pm

Kyle,

Actually, in my opinion, that attitude by Asik just underscores his self-assurance that he's a legitimate force at center and is looking forward to being able to back it up. I like that kind of motivational mind-set, although, in general, I dislike players trying to manipulate the system.

I did have the same thought about Love and his desire for a major market. I don't really know anything about Love the person. Is that desire consistent with his personality?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun May 18, 2014 1:34 pm

kdp59 wrote:well Bob,

we'd still have Bass,Kelly, Bogans non-guaranteed deal, future draft picks as well as that trade exception to bring in a center in trade.

I said Sanders , only thinking what IF Milwaukee decide to draft Embiid?

then they would want to move Sanders and his new $11M per deal.

getting the cap space alone might not be enough, but maybe the Clippers first rounder next season along with it could work.

kdp,

I don't see anybody wanting 34 year old Keith Bogans unless it was a contract that could be terminated immediately. I don't think Bass and a pick will cut it.

If Embiid is drafted by Milwaukee then they might try to move Sanders but given Embiid's back issues they might not want to pull the trigger until after they've seen him play a few NBA games against monsters like Pekovic and Howard.

We'll see, we'll see. If we get lucky and get a top 3 a lot of options, including just drafting a possible future HOFer and keeping him, will become available. Only 2 more days.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun May 18, 2014 1:40 pm

remember Bob Bogan's deal is non guaranteed, so it does give teams the cap space.

If he is traded or not...he will be released before the next NBA season starts.

it's a trade chip, like the Trade exception Ainge has to use.

it may or may not come into play in any deals, but it does have some value (even is Bogans has none as an NBA player now).
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Sun May 18, 2014 1:54 pm

sam wrote:Kyle,

Actually, in my opinion, that attitude by Asik just underscores his self-assurance that he's a legitimate force at center and is looking forward to being able to back it up.  I like that kind of motivational mind-set, although, in general, I dislike players trying to manipulate the system.

I did have the same thought about Love and his desire for a major market.  I don't really know anything about Love the person.  Is that desire consistent with his personality?

Sam

Hi Sam,

I don't really know Love's personality or, as well, the writers of the article that framed Love's desire to leave Minnesota. This very well could be some media manipulation.

As for Asik, the position you play shouldn't matter to the player. He had the opportunity to start next to a player considered the best starting center of the past 10 years. He could have learned from him and grown his skill set. Instead, he was insecure about the competition, gave away a perfectly good starting spot, and created controversy on his team. There's a proud tradition in the NBA of starting two centers or being a sixth man. Asik didn't recognize that. It wasn't self-assurance but the lack of understanding his place in the NBA and ignorance of basketball.

Kyle

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun May 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Kyle,

Sorry, but I see it differently.

1. Asik can see what others have reported; namely, that he's better at center than at PF—especially on defense. Why shouldn't it matter what position he plays? Bob Cousy could an absolute terror in the pivot, but shouldn't he have been just a bit peeved if Red had made him play center?

2. I''m not sure about the "proud tradition" of two centers; and, if I'm not sure about it, I can't blame someone a third my age for not "recognizing" it.

In terms of a "proud tradition," I believe there's a vastly more prolific "proud tradition" for people in the United States to be rewarded for doing a good job. Asik did a very good job at center and was "rewarded" by being displaced. When Howard was out this season, Asik once again did a very good job and once again was then asked to return to a position he knew wasn't his best. To his credit, reports are that he performed pretty well at PF during the playoffs. But I find it difficult to criticize him for being frustrated at the yoyo existence he's had with Houston. He may very well have been one causal factor in that existence (I don't really know any details), but I believe he's also been a victim. That can get to any human being, especially one who might be fortunate to have a remaining occupational "shelf life" of fewer than 10 years.

Sam

I have to stick with my believe that it's a matter of self-assurance or, if one wants to put it in financial terms, the fact that he can probably earn more money as a center than a power forward.

I don't know what "insecure about the competition" means.

Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sun May 18, 2014 2:50 pm

Regarding Asik, I don't see anything wrong with him being confident in his abilities as a starting center and that being a starting center will be the best thing for him and for the team that has him. In his only season as a starter, he averaged 10.1 points and 11.7 rebounds and was considered very good defensively. He was third in the league in rebounds per game, led the league in total rebounds, and was 11th in field goal percentage. Is he the best center in the league? No. But anyone who has proven they can play like that is justified in believing they deserve to be a starting center, especially considering how few good ones there are.

Marcin Gortat was in a similar situation, playing behind Howard in Orlando. He was a restricted free agent in 2009 and signed an offer sheet from Dallas for five years and $34 million, figuring that Orlando wouldn't match that to keep him as a backup center, but Orlando did. Gortat was crushed, seeing his chance to be a starting center evaporate and being locked in to a backup role in Orlando for the foreseeable future. Orlando eventually traded Gortat to Phoenix, and ever since then, he's been a very good starting center.

I didn't think less of Gortat because of his desire to be a starting center then, and I don't think less of Asik now for wanting the same thing. Both are justified in believing they can be very good starters in this league.

Last edited by Outside on Sun May 18, 2014 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun May 18, 2014 3:09 pm

How many holes in the roster will open if Kevin Love is obtained via trade? That's quite important to consider.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sun May 18, 2014 3:13 pm

What I've heard about Kevin Love is that he's a good teammate and a hard worker. He's had 16 games of 20 points and 20 rebounds; only Dwight Howard has more (29). Since 1985-86 (the earliest searchable date for basketball-reference.com), Love is the only player to have a 30-30 game. He averaged 26.1 points and 12.5 rebounds this season; that's a lot of production.

Whether his defensive deficiencies mean that he isn't worth max money, I don't know, but Boston will need stars in order to return to being a contender, and they shouldn't dismiss an opportunity to get one.

As for the reference to the Knicks, the only reason I can see Love wanting to go there would be Phil Jackson. However, I can see Love's agent or the Timberwolves wanting to mention the Knicks in order to get a bidding war going. If Love made it plain that the Lakers were his desired destination, then the Lakers have the upper hand in negotiations, the urgency on the Lakers' part to do the deal is less, and the deal could drag on into the season and up to the trading deadline. However, if the Lakers believe that another powerhouse franchise is in the mix, they might be more motivated to do a deal in the offseason, which benefits Love. I see the Warriors as being a better destination for Love than the Knicks, but maybe that's me having my Warriors glasses on. But I'm inclined to see Love's agent or the Timberwolves as motivated to give the appearance of a bidding war, whether there is one or not.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun May 18, 2014 6:35 pm

The following perspectives from Hoops Hype. (I tried to cut and paste verbatim, but it wouldn't let me do it.)

• Love's agent (last name Schwartz) is also Paul Pierce's agent, who is enamored of the Celtics because of their willingness to trade Paul to a big market team.

• Houston may also go after Love. Although they don't have the first-rounder this year (which appears to be) one of Minny's requirements, they have immediate help to offer Minny, including Asik and Parsons. Love also has a deep regard for McHale, who made the trade to take him to Minny and was also his coach.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun May 18, 2014 6:38 pm

Apparently, if the Celtics go after Love, they will be counting on convincing him that he can become the next big star for the Celtics franchise, with all the adulation that entails.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 19, 2014 10:38 am

Latest Update on this story, from Adrian Woj, in which he specifically talks about the Celtics' chances:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/celtics-loom-as-intriguing-destination-for-kevin-love-211238504.html

Celtics loom as intriguing destination for Kevin Love
Adrian Wojnarowski By Adrian Wojnarowski
17 hours ago
Yahoo Sports
NBA.com
2014 All-Star Top 10: Kevin Love

The Boston Celtics have emerged as an increasingly intriguing destination for Minnesota Timberwolves All-Star forward Kevin Love, and the Celtics' draft position coming out of Tuesday night's lottery could be telltale in determining the feasibility of a trade, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

If the lottery percentages hold to form, Boston would draft in the No. 5 slot, which could hold appeal to Minnesota in this talent-rich draft. If Boston moves up and cracks one of the top three spots, general manager Danny Ainge would have a more difficult decision to make on using the pick in a deal for Love.

Love's representatives with Excel Sports are pushing Timberwolves president Flip Saunders to find a trade acceptable to them before the beginning of summer free agency in July – preferably by the June 26 NBA draft, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Love plans to opt out of his contract in the summer of 2015 and leave Minnesota as a free agent, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Love, 25, wants a chance to play for an immediate contender, but has an open mind about multiple destinations in the league, sources said. In six NBA seasons, Love has yet to reach the playoffs in Minnesota.
The Houston Rockets also plan to make a run at a trade for Love, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Officials believe Love's close relationship and respect for coach Kevin McHale could give the Rockets an edge. Golden State, Phoenix, the Los Angeles Lakers and Chicago are among those also planning to pursue Love deals with an eye on signing him to a long-term extension.

Love has no veto power over a trade, but it is unlikely any team will unload significant assets for him without an assurance he'll re-sign a max contract.

Houston doesn't have the draft picks to offer Minnesota, but does have appealing young players in Chandler Parsons and Omer Asik to include in packages. McHale acquired Love for the T'wolves with a draft-night trade and coached him. Beyond McHale, Houston could offer Love an immediate chance to be part of a contender.

Still, Boston is the sleeper gathering momentum in a process that is still beginning to unfold. The three top prospects in the draft – Kansas' Joel Embiid and Andrew Wiggins and Duke's Jabari Parker – could become franchise cornerstone players in the NBA. Nevertheless, Boston has multiple picks to offer in the next several years as part of a total package for Love, as well as the salary-cap space to perhaps take back an unwanted contract from Minnesota.

Love's agent Jeff Schwartz and Ainge have a strong relationship and a good working history. Ainge helped another Schwartz client, Paul Pierce, get to a preferred trade destination in Brooklyn a year ago. The Celtics believe they can sell Love on becoming the next big Celtics star, and all the adulation that comes with that for a franchise that has won 17 NBA championships.

Love averaged 26.1 points and 12.5 rebounds for Minnesota this season.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon May 19, 2014 10:43 am

Hi,
If Danny's able to get Love I'd consider it the first stepping stone for the Celtics to ascend to the Contender level.
Thankfully, DA has enough chips to get him. As for his weakness on defense, (a) he may grow to a decent level in the right system and, (b) his offensive and rebounding production will partially compensate for that weakness.
Another positive that might come out of this (if DA gets Love) is RR'll be more inclined to stay in Green.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon May 19, 2014 10:51 am

Although I would prefer that Danny sew up a good center first, if he were to get Love sooner rather than later, the prospect of joining Love and Rondo could be appealing to any center who wants to ensure that he'll be playing in the "5" spot—just in case there are any of those out there.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 19, 2014 11:05 am

Tuesday, tomorrow, is looming as an even bigger day for Celtics fans than we thought.  If we get a Top 3 pick, they are being considered "franchise players".  If we draft fifth or lower, then Danny will be more inclined to trade the pick plus whatever it takes for Love.

I agree with Sam, I'd rather have Danny secure a center first since that is the biggest single glaring weakness of ours, but as we saw with the Ray Allen draft day trade in 2008, having two all-stars can shake loose a third.  When we got Ray, I was ecstatic.  I watched him play in Seattle for years and was not concerned about his bone spurs, but I didn't think Pierce and Allen would be enough to win #17.  I knew we needed another BIG, key piece.  That piece came because of the Allen trade, KG had already turned down a trade to Boston when it was just Pierce.  

Nothing begets more success than success itself.  Gather the BIG pieces, Danny, the ones that snap people's heads up, and then worry about which ones you're still missing.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon May 19, 2014 12:46 pm

Bob,

In another post, I happened to use the term "dependable defensive deterrent" to describe what I believe an intimidator should be. Now I'm thinking I'd like to see Mr. Right annointed "Da Deterrent" when he arrives. The only problem is that I'm afraid some people might start calling him "Da Detergent."

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next