rickdavisakaspike
sinus007
NYCelt
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Ainge Says Be Ready For Anything Empty Ainge Says Be Ready For Anything

Post by bobheckler Wed May 21, 2014 7:48 pm

http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/nba/story/_/id/10965501/danny-ainge-says-boston-celtics-ready-anything

Ainge says be ready for anything
But what does that mean for Celtics' future? Here are six scenarios to consider
Updated: May 21, 2014, 6:35 PM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

In the immediate aftermath of the 2014 NBA draft lottery, Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge was asked about his team's strategy moving forward.

Ainge noted there was "a possibility of moving up. Moving down is also a possibility. And moving out, or using all those picks are all options. We'll explore all those things."

Potential Celtics Draft Targets
http://espn.go.com/boston/photos/gallery/_/id/10956347/image/1/pf-aaron-gordon-arizona-2014-nba-draft-possible-celtics

Now that we know Celtics will pick 6th and 17th, let's meet some draft prospects that might be available at those spots. 10 Possible Celtics Photo Gallery

Well, that clarifies that. It'd be like asking someone what they want to do for dinner and being told, "We could go out. Or we could stay in. Delivery is an option. Maybe we'll wait and have a big breakfast? We'll explore all those things."
During Ainge's 12-minute chat with reporters, he was probed for hints about how the team would proceed after landing the No. 6 pick in June's draft, but offered no tells. Boston also owns the No. 17 pick as part of last summer's swap with Brooklyn, giving it an additional asset to utilize entering Year 2 of a process aimed at restoring the Celtics to contender status.

"I think [the next month leading up to the draft] is exciting," Ainge said. "It is fun. This is an exciting time of the year, an exciting time for our franchise. We can do anything from taking the two draft picks and continuing to add to our young talent, or we could make some bigger deals that speed up our process -- and everywhere in between. I think that everything is possible, and it's going to be a really interesting next month."

So what options does Boston have? Let's run down the potential scenarios:

Scenario 1: Keep the picks, continue the rebuild

While the future of Rajon Rondo in green is slightly hazy given that he'll be an unrestricted free agent next summer, the Celtics believe they have a quality young core, headlined in part by recent top picks Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk. If the team brings back restricted free agent Avery Bradley and continues The Jeff Green Project, the Celtics have a solid five-man nucleus with an average age under 25. By hanging onto its picks this season, Boston could further infuse the roster with young talent.

The downside? Young players typically take time to develop and it's hard to imagine the Celtics making too much of a leap forward without a "fireworks" move to add established talent.

Scenario 2: Trade for someone you Love

If you clicked on this article, hit Control-F and searched "Kevin Love," you've landed in the right spot! Given the scuttlebutt about Love's future in Minnesota, he's the target du jour, and with good reason. Teams are understandably salivating at the opportunity to add a legitimate young superstar. The Celtics, particularly with their collection of draft picks (nine first-rounders over the next five years), have the available assets to thrust themselves into the bidding for any available star.

The downside? Love (or a player of his caliber) won't come cheap. It's likely to cost the team multiple first-round picks and young talent just to get Love in green, then you gotta pay him max money moving forward. Speaking in generalities, Ainge told Boston sports radio station 98.5 The Sports Hub on Wednesday that he'd consider taking on a star player in the final year of his deal without an assurance he'd return, but there's always a risk involved there (hey, Dwight Howard!). On the other hand, adding someone the caliber of Love makes a team an immediate contender again, especially in the East. The Celtics must consider the balance of winning now and being a contender for the long haul.

Scenario 3: Trade up in the draft

Whether by combining this year's picks or working with future selections, the Celtics have the means to do what the pingpong balls did not and elevate the Green a bit. Ainge and his staff were in Los Angeles this week for a glimpse of some of the top available talent in the draft. Why bother scouting the top names at No. 6? The Celtics must determine if there are players worthy of moving up to snare. Last season, Boston jumped up three spots to snag Olynyk at No. 13. Might the team employ a similar strategy if Joel Embiid stays on the board after a couple of picks? Is Dante Exum a potential backcourt fixture of the future if they could get into the top 4?

The downside? The draft is often a crapshoot, and sacrificing quantity in search of quality is a tough balance, particularly given the rising price of picks (especially the ones at the top of the draft).

Scenario 4: Trade down in the draft

If this draft is as loaded as everyone but Ainge will admit, then there seems to be value outside the top spots. Players that will be picked outside the top 3 this year would seemingly have been candidates to be top-3 selections in weaker drafts (hello, 2013 draft!). So if the price is too steep to move up this year, maybe Boston tries to cash in at No. 6, moving back a bit and getting comparable value while adding to its pick surplus in the process. Maybe all that overseas scouting of someone like Dario Saric entices Boston to shuffle down a few spots and snag him there, while allowing a team behind them to sacrifice some of its own future for a shot at the likes of Aaron Gordon or Marcus Smart.

The downside? No team wants to look back and see it traded down when star talent was still available. The success rate of picks seems higher at the loftier spots in the draft.

Scenario 5: Trade out

Let's face it, there doesn't seem to be any good reason this would happen. Unless a team was willing to mortgage its future (hey, Nets!) in a deal that Boston couldn't pass up, then the Celtics would have little desire to remain in rebuilding mode any longer than they have to.

Scenario 6: You really want fireworks?

Here's a sobering thought for those Celtics fans that love the Love speculation: We might eventually be inundated with similar stories about Rondo. Boston's All-Star point guard has expressed a desire to test unrestricted free agency after the 2014-15 season and, while it's highly unlikely that the Celtics would watch Rondo leave town without compensation, that is a possibility if he gets to the open market. So the Celtics have to give just a little extra consideration to any trade offers that float across Ainge's desk this offseason. All indications are that Boston sees Rondo as a cornerstone and is willing to pay him the fortunes that are in his future, but that could seemingly change for the right offer. Just be careful when you wish for fireworks, because this rebuilding project could always be leveled again before the real construction begins.

Gazing into the crystal ball

So what's the best scenario? Forgive us for hedging, but it depends on what's available. Ainge and his staff have relentlessly scouted this year's draft class and undoubtedly have a strong grasp on what can be had with their picks. Over the next month, Boston's front office must gauge what other teams are willing to offer and what the Celtics' assets can bring back in return.

Ainge laughed off the idea of clutching any lucky charms on lottery night, noting that there was really no way to change what was about to happen. You get the feeling that a team like Boston understood that the No. 6 pick was the most likely landing spot and, wouldn't you know it, that's where they ended up.

Ainge said the team would have multiple plans of attack following the lottery. Boston's front office will gauge the effectiveness of those plans now that the order is set, but we'll probably have to wait until June 26 to get a clue about which scenario they've chosen.

It might simply come down to patience. If the Celtics can add talent now, even at the cost of some of those future draft picks, it will be tough to pass up with a chance to climb back into contender status in a weakened Eastern Conference. But the draft allows you to add talent at reasonable prices without having to sacrifice assets (some of which could be repurposed to hunt for established talent, though maybe not quite on the superstar level).

Ainge could have saved himself some time on Tuesday night when asked about future options by taking a page out of Kevin Garnett's playbook and simply screaming, "Anything is possible!"

bob
MY NOTE:  No ground-breaking revelations here.  Danny either drafts at 6, trades up, trades down, trades out.  Duh.  He's called Trader Danny, not Alchemist Danny.  He can't conjure up draft picks or turn a 6 into a 1.  I'm thinking the trade down for Saric might be enticing to him, especially if it nets him another lower first round pick that lets him pick a Porzingis, Nurkic or Stauskas too.  Trading all the way out though?  That would surprise me, if anything Danny does could truly surprise me.  On the other hand, if he picks up another first rounder from somebody, let's say next year's, that might be the clincher in a Kevin Love trade.  Give up Aaron Gordon or Smart or Vonleh for Saric and Love (yes, I know there'd have to be more than that to land Love, but that stuff is already earmarked as gone.  I'm talking about adding a piece to get Love that we don't have already, and that won't require us to dip further into our assets, and the cost of that piece would be the difference between Gordon/Smart and trading down for Saric and a future first)?  I'd do that.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Ainge Says Be Ready For Anything Empty Re: Ainge Says Be Ready For Anything

Post by NYCelt Wed May 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Call it a gut feeling; I think "anything" is going to equal keeping and making the 6th and 17th picks.

It's a deep draft and we're going to be rebuilding for a few years, so we've got the time to let players develop to their potential.

There also aren't any realistic looking trade scenarios out there, at least not known or being discussed yet.  Lots of wish lists, but no sign we've got much to deal that others want; not yet.

I think it makes sense we use the picks and continue on the path that we knew would take time.  I've thought from the start that this might be a Chicago Bulls type rebuild, I think it's looking like a strong possibility now as well.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu May 22, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi,
I think there're only 2 scenarios. Both generated by the fact that Rondo is on his last year and expressed interest exploring FA market.
1. DA swings Love trade or, gets Asik or a like and a solid position to get a star from the next year's class. Thus convincing RR to stay and have a shot at contending in a year or two.
2. DA trades RR for a good player(s) and picks. Thus extending the road to the top by 2-4 years.

Obviously, there're some variations in both cases. But whatever it is we'll find out within the next 3 months.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 22, 2014 12:35 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by rickdavisakaspike Thu May 22, 2014 3:15 pm

This morning, outside my doorstep, three little birds gave me this message: "Don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing's gonna be all right."

My personal preferences are Vonleh at #6 and Shabazz at #17. Vonleh is small for a center, but so were Cowens and Russell, and, Shabazz only knows how to win championships.

rickdavisakaspike

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu May 22, 2014 3:35 pm

rickdavisakaspike wrote:This morning, outside my doorstep, three little birds gave me this message: "Don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing's gonna be all right."

My personal preferences are Vonleh at #6 and Shabazz at #17.  Vonleh is small for a center, but so were Cowens and Russell, and, Shabazz only knows how to win championships.

Spike,

Excellent advice.  One of my favorite songs too.  It has gotten me through a lot.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu May 22, 2014 6:18 pm

My priorities (for what it's worth):

1. Danny should do what he has to in order to acquire Asik (which would be preferable to laying out cap dollars for Gortat):
Perhaps trade Sully and Bass plus a future first round pick or two

2. Then he should go after Love:

Perhaps trade Green, Olynyk, Anthony and this year's #6 and a future pick if necessary

3. Draft a swing man (SF, SG) with #17

Nucleus for the present:

Asik, Love, Rondo, Wallace, (re-sign Humph (for a reduced amount), Bayless, (re-sign) Bradley, swing man draft pick, free agent wing, Pressey

Fringe players: Faverani, Johnson, Babb, Anthony

He'll have speed, toughness, rebounding, defense, and (if he picks the right #17 and free agent) a shooting nucleus. He'd have star power and aspiring energy guys. This would be a team that could solidify a systemic direction for the future and be an exciting team to watch in the present. Over time, upgrade the wing positions if necessary (easier than upgrading the big man and point positions).

I understand it's a lot to offer. But I believe that value for value is the only way to get where you want to go in a hurry. And I don't believe any of us is really equipped to determine what really represents value to a general manager.

Sam

Sam

Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 22, 2014 9:38 pm

rickdavisakaspike wrote:This morning, outside my doorstep, three little birds gave me this message: "Don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing's gonna be all right."

My personal preferences are Vonleh at #6 and Shabazz at #17.  Vonleh is small for a center, but so were Cowens and Russell, and, Shabazz only knows how to win championships.

Love Marley; always have some on the MP3…

Re: Vonleh and Napier; I wouldn't argue with landing those two.

Vonleh's wingspan is reported to be 7'3", and if you saw some Indiana games he knows how to use it; he can board.

If we go that route, and look for a point guard second, there should still be a few good ones available.  Among Napier, Payton and Anderson, at least one should still be there at 17.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu May 22, 2014 10:05 pm

NYCelt,

Suppose Napier, Payton and Anderson were all available at #17. Which would you like to see the Celtics take, and why?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 22, 2014 10:47 pm

sam wrote:NYCelt,

Suppose Napier, Payton and Anderson were all available at #17.  Which would you like to see the Celtics take, and why?

Sam

Sam,

Ah; my chance to play GM!

Tough call between Payton and Napier.  

Anderson is intriguing due to his height, but doesn't seem very quick to me.  Not the best handle I've ever seen for a PG, so I make him first man out.

Napier is the most mature, in a sense, as a senior.  Lightning fast and can pass it.  Appears to be a standout kind of kid when interviewed.  I'd be delighted with him on the roster, because like the other two, I think he's got enough talent to start somewhere.  He would make a great backup and give us unquestioned depth at PG.  He is a little on the small side, however, at 6'1" and we already have a small point guard.  His defense is OK.

Payton would be my pick in a tight three-way race.  A little bigger at 6'3", and with decent experience as a Junior.  His strength is on the defensive end and he's very quick.  He can pass it and can grab some rebounds too (a la Rondo), and I'm fairly sure he has the highest scoring average of the three.  I think having a quick, defensive minded PG, who can set his teammates up with some sharp passing, might be just what's needed behind Rondo. You might call him Rondo-like with those skills.  In the event Rondo were to let his contract expire and walk, Payton looks like a fine candidate to replace him.

Thanks for the opportunity to play GM!  I'll now return to my regular job.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu May 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Thanks, NYCelt. For that analysis, you get a raise. And my vote for Payton among the three. I love defense.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri May 23, 2014 7:34 am

sam wrote:My priorities (for what it's worth):

1. Danny should do what he has to in order to acquire Asik (which would be preferable to laying out cap dollars for Gortat):
Perhaps trade Sully and Bass plus a future first round pick or two

2. Then he should go after Love:

Perhaps trade Green, Olynyk, Anthony and this year's #6 and a future pick if necessary

3. Draft a swing man (SF, SG) with #17

Nucleus for the present:

Asik, Love, Rondo, Wallace, (re-sign Humph (for a reduced amount), Bayless, (re-sign) Bradley, swing man draft pick, free agent wing, Pressey

Fringe players: Faverani, Johnson, Babb, Anthony

He'll have speed, toughness, rebounding, defense, and (if he picks the right #17 and free agent) a shooting nucleus.  He'd have star power and aspiring energy guys.  This would be a team that could solidify a systemic direction for the future and be an exciting team to watch in the present.  Over time, upgrade the wing positions if necessary (easier than upgrading the big man and point positions).

I understand it's a lot to offer.  But I believe that value for value is the only way to get where you want to go in a hurry.  And I don't believe any of us is really equipped to determine what really represents value to a general manager.

Sam

Sam

we seem to be on the same page here after all.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri May 23, 2014 8:50 am

kdp,

Except that you're not dumb enough to sign your name twice. LOL.

If you're talking about getting both Asik and Love, I'd like nothing better. To have those two up front with Rondo running the offense would be a major step toward a nucleus of the future as far as I'm concerned. It would leave the team a little thin at the wing positions; but I believe those positions are easiest to fill with quality—especially with the draft picks the Celtics would still have (including #17 in the upcoming draft). My main concern in all these hypotheses being tossed around is that I sometimes think there's a tendency to understate what it will take for the Celtics to acquire certain assets. On the other hand, I'm not afraid to recommend what most people would consider overpaying (if you have the assets to do so) in order to acquire a major building block.

When Danny talks about fireworks and being ready for anything, I don't believe he's just talking about stockpiling talent. I think he's talking about getting talent that can be a major part of the foundation of the future. This season could be when they take a giant step forward in that respect. The following season(s) would involve refining, coalescing, and forming an identity of the future.

SOUNDS good (at least to me); but I've found that a lot of things (in fact, probably most things) that sound good don't turn out quite the way I'd hoped. But, what the heck. This is amateur general manager time, right?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri May 23, 2014 10:26 am

sam wrote:Thanks, NYCelt.  For that analysis, you get a raise.  And my vote for Payton among the three.  I love defense.

Sam

Great, thanks for the raise!

I'll adjust my next quarterly tax estimate…

...OK, there, all done.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Ainge Says Be Ready For Anything Empty My first post, but a C's fan since 66.

Post by Celticspride Fri May 23, 2014 9:58 pm

I like a lot of players we have now, but did not get attached to any of them this past season. Are all the current Celtic players all tradable for the right deal? Yes. Some will harder than others for sure due to contracts. There is a lot of options to work with and DA may or may not. Question is rebuild young or go for quality vets now and trade assets now. This summer may be a summer of rejoice or watch the team rebuild for another year.
Celticspride
Celticspride

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri May 23, 2014 10:18 pm

Celticspride,

I see you have re-joined us.

Welcome back and stop by often!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat May 24, 2014 2:58 am

Celticsprice,

Welcome to our forum. You pose a lot of relevant questions, and the answers to them rest within Danny's head. You can already read a lot of conjecture in the posts that have been made here since the order of draft selection was revealed. And stay tuned for more of the same as the summer rumor mill heats up, the Orlando Summer League (with a Celtics entry) occurs, and Danny hopefully starts weaving his magic.

Enjoy our message board.

Best regards,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue May 27, 2014 7:59 pm

I hope the Celtics Draft Vonleh.

He measured 7' 4" (wingspan) at the recent combine. I think he will develop into a solid players, strong rebounder, shot blocker and can step outside and knock down shots.

with the 17th pick I would take the best available PG, SG or SF.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down