The NBA's Newest Delusional Billionaire

4 posters

Go down

The NBA's Newest Delusional Billionaire Empty The NBA's Newest Delusional Billionaire

Post by bobheckler Mon May 26, 2014 2:07 pm

He's not the Human Eye Sore (or, at least, he hasn't revealed himself in full Sterling-like glory yet) but this guy's ego sounds somewhat out of touch with reality.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140526/memphis-grizzlies-dave-joerger-robert-pera/

Here's the story:  Robert Pera is a self-made Silicon Valley billionaire.  He is 34-years old.  He is also the majority owner of the Memphis Grizzlies.  He fancies himself a pretty good baller and, based upon the video provided, he seems too have a decent shot and footwork.  He is, allegedly, 6'3".  Ok, so what, right?  So he can shoot a bit, he's in good shape.  What's up with this is that he challenged Tony Allen (yes, that Tony Allen) to a one-on-one game.  Seriously.  Not joking around, not "let's play to 21 after practice", not "horse" type of game but a real game where he invited in media to watch and told the PR department to produce a press release promoting it.  Tony, reportedly, lost interest as game time approached (probably something about whipping the boss's ass made him reconsider).  As a result of that, Pera blamed his head coach, Dave Joerger (who just interviewed for the open Minny job) and all but fired him.  I guess Joerger's staying in Memphis because of the money, but Pera sounds like he's a little bit full of himself.

And it gets better.

Not content with challenging one of the top defenders in the league, he now wants an owners vs owners game.  And who does he want?

Robert J Pera        ✔ @RobertPera
Follow
What's with all the 1:1 with @mcuban talk?  I'm in, but I would make quick work of him...
8:27 PM - 14 Oct 2013

Robert J Pera        ✔ @RobertPera
Follow
If we are talking an owner game, get me MJ!  I'll up the charity contribution to $1mm
8:27 PM - 14 Oct 2013

The article by Chris Mannix (link provided at top of the page) lists more crazy ideas by this guy (including suggesting that Mike Miller become a player coach and Joerger just call in plays with a headset, like an NFL assistant coach up in the box).  Apparently, nobody told him that player-coaches aren't allowed anymore.

Hey, as long as he doesn't say the kind of ridiculously over-the-top stuff that Sterling said I don't care, he provides additional color beyond even Mark Cuban.  It will be interesting to keep track of this guy.  

I wonder if Dim Buss would be interested in taking him on?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The NBA's Newest Delusional Billionaire Empty Re: The NBA's Newest Delusional Billionaire

Post by Outside Mon May 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Pera seems to be a clueless, self-absorbed owner. I may be viewing him particularly harshly because this is Memorial Day, a day to consider the service and sacrifice given by others, a thought that would seem foreign to Pera.

Mark Cuban has been the one owner to attempt to speak thoughtfully in response to the whole Sterling situation, and while his "black kid in a hoodie" analogy was clumsy and got most of the attention, I give Cuban credit for attempting to discuss the issues. On the issue of being reluctant to remove a franchise from an owner, even Sterling, Cuban was right to raise the question, and I think he had owners like Pera in mind when he asked where they draw the line in taking a franchise away based on personal behavior.

Cuban has grown into his role as owner. The most generous thought I have for Pera on this Memorial Day is that he may someday grow personally and professionally, too.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

The NBA's Newest Delusional Billionaire Empty Re: The NBA's Newest Delusional Billionaire

Post by Sam Mon May 26, 2014 8:29 pm

This is the second allusion to player coaches that I've seen in two days, although I believe both of them were light-hearted remarks. I had thought there could be no such thing as a player coach in today's NBA, so I looked it up. Sure enough, Rule 3 says player coaches should receive no special treatment. From that, and being too lazy to look further into the matter, I infer that player coaches are allowed.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon May 26, 2014 8:36 pm

If you own the team, maybe you can get some high priced opponents for a little run.  More money, bigger toy.  If I was Wyc, the first thing I would do is line up a game against Rondo.  Who cares if you don't score a point?  It would be a hoot to play against one of the best around. You might just want to cap it at 10 points so you don't drop from a cardiac on the spot.

I also like Cuban, and think he hit the ball out of the park in that recent interview.  The hoodie analogy may have been clumsy due to some recent history, but it was spot on.  There is nothing wrong with following ones instincts and a little self-preservation.  I promise you, if I see various types that have a reputation for problems, I get myself and my family across the street too.  Cuban addressed what I think is a now overly hysterical reaction to the Sterling issue with the plain truth.  To bad his bid for the Cubs got derailed, baseball could use him. The Cubbies sure could.

Back to Pera; at 34 I had just started my own business.  Although it has gone very well, I'm not playing 1:1 against Tony Allen any time soon.  If he's got the scratch to get up an owners game, which would no doubt be funny, just so he can play MJ, let him.  If he's going to make a $1mm charitable donation to do it, let him schedule a series!

Guys like Pera and Cuban might add a little life to the NBA before it gets too stuffy and loses market share. They are more apt to make a little noise and attract the younger viewers a professional sports league needs to thrive.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 30, 2014 12:21 pm

We have a new entrant...

Allow me to introduce Steve Ballmer, the soon-to-be new owner of the Los Angeles Clippers.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri May 30, 2014 1:42 pm

The Howard Dean of tech executives?
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Outside wrote:The Howard Dean of tech executives?

and sports franchises.

bbb

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down