kdp59
bobheckler
12 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Kevin Love Visits Boston - Page 2 Empty Re: Kevin Love Visits Boston

Post by sinus007 Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:37 pm

beat wrote:Rondo and K Love at Fenway

Did not throw out the first pitch but when they showed him on the big screen place went NUTS

Kevin Love Visits Boston - Page 2 Rondo10

Guess the Red Sox are tampering not the C's

beat

I'm pretty sure that this trip was Minny's sanctioned. They want a good return for their star player.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Flip Saunders is saying that Love will be in Minny next year ESPN Bostom.com
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:50 pm

Rosalie,

What else could Flip say? I just hope Kevin samples the North End cannolis. He'd instantly become hooked on Boston and would probably pay the Celtics to allow him to be on their team.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:55 pm

Ummmm...wow.

So, Love visited Boston.

Pardon me for this one but, so what's the big deal?

Great town to visit in the warm weather.  Lots to see and do.  One of the greatest, most historic cities in our nation.  Great people.

However...Dude is under contract.  I love Boston, the city and the basketball team, but we C's fans need a sedative.

This has hit the plain silly level.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:11 pm

What else you expect from these reporters. These are the same people who had Rondo traded for 2 years!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:03 am

Rosalie,

I suppose you're right about that one!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:10 am

David Ortiz        ✔ @davidortiz
Follow
Yo @kevinlove if you need advice on moving from Minnesota to Boston just let me know #CityOfChamps
4:08 PM - 1 Jun 2014

Baxter Holmes ✔ @BaxterHolmes
Follow
Also heard that Rob Gronkowski & Kevin Love briefly chatted during a rooftop shindig at a hotel near the Boston Common today.
6:16 PM - 1 Jun 2014

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:24 am

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/06/01/kevin-love-enjoys-quite-weekend-boston/1mEG5awQsl1I8GRtqVwU7K/story.html

Kevin Love enjoys quite a weekend in Boston

By Baxter Holmes  | GLOBE STAFF   JUNE 02, 2014
ARTICLE
COMMENTS ( 3 )
SUBSCRIBE

Kevin Love Visits Boston - Page 2 Davis_soxrays3_spts

Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Love (front row, far right) took in Sunday’s Red Sox game from the EMC Club at Fenway Park. Seated immediately to Love’s right is his agent, Jeff Schwartz, who also represents former Celtics star Paul Pierce.

JIM DAVIS/GLOBE STAFF

At around 9 p.m. on Friday, Bill Fairweather received a surprising phone call from one of his employees at The Greatest Bar, of which he is co-owner.

A few minutes later, Fairweather raced from his home on the North Shore to the establishment located across the street from TD Garden, home of the Celtics.

Apparently, Kevin Love had just walked in, unannounced.

The Minnesota Timberwolves All-Star forward had arrived in Boston for the weekend to check out the city, a sightseeing visit that sent Celtics fans into a frenzy about the possibility that Love will join the team — perhaps this summer.

The 25-year-old is expected to opt out of the final year of his deal with the Timberwolves, making him an unrestricted free agent next summer.

The Timberwolves risk losing Love without compensation if they don’t move him this offseason, or before the February trade deadline.

In what has become known as the “Summer of Love,” many teams are focused on acquiring Love through a trade – and league sources say that includes the Celtics, who can offer an array of assets, namely draft picks. They have as many as 17 picks over the next five years, including 10 in the first round.

So when Fairweather walked up to the second floor mezzanine level of his bar, he spotted Love eating dinner with a longtime friend and his trainer.

“Is the deal done?” Fairweather asked, hoping for good news.

Love laughed and shook his head. “No,” he said.

But over the next few hours, the two talked plenty about Boston and the Celtics.

“It went great,” Fairweather told the Globe on Sunday. “The kid is a real gentleman. I think he has a real appreciation with the Celtics’ history and tradition.”

Love, who averaged 26.1 points and 12.5 rebounds per game last season, learned Celtics history at an early age, as one of his favorite tapes growing up was a VHS copy of “Winning Basketball” with Larry Bird and Red Auerbach.

And of his youth, Love once told Sports Illustrated in an interview, “My dad likes to say when other kids were watching Big Bird, I was watching Larry Bird, and he was totally right.”

Fairweather, a former ESPN producer and radio co-host, found Love to be so interested in Celtics history that he gave him a 90-minute DVD that details the team’s illustrious past, a gift Fairweather said Love very much appreciated.

Love showed such reverence for Bird, Fairweather said, that at one point Love pointed out how he believes that Bird’s No. 33 ought to be retired by every team in the NBA. Love also said he planned on talking to fellow UCLA alumnus Bill Walton about what it was like playing for the Celtics.

Fairweather said he told Love that he could be the Celtics’ Tom Brady, a reference to the Patriots’ star quarterback.

“You could be a rock star here,” Fairweather said he told him.

But Fairweather said that if Love made one point clear throughout their lengthy conversation, it was this: “I just want to win,” said Love, a three-time All-Star who has yet to make the playoffs in six years with the Timberwolves.

Love also complimented Celtics All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo. “He just said he’s a really, really good player,” Fairweather said.

Rondo and Love met up Sunday at Fenway Park, where the two watched the Sox win their seventh straight game, beating Tampa Bay, 4-0.

Love sat in the EMC Club and Rondo in the Green Monster seats, but the two eventually crossed paths and chatted. A photo captured the moment and blazed across social media.

Kevin Love Visits Boston - Page 2 BpEgS1MIMAA34eD

Big Dub @BigDub74
Follow
Need to see these guys together @kevinlove @RajonRondo #collectingdimes #breakingbackboards
1:10 PM - 1 Jun 2014

At the game, Love sat next to his agent, Jeff Schwartz, who also represents former Celtics star Paul Pierce.

Later Sunday, Sox slugger David Ortiz tweeted at Love: “Yo @kevinlove, if you need advice on moving from Minnesota to Boston just let me know #CityOfChamps”

Ortiz would know what it’s like to make such a transition, as he spent six seasons with the Minnesota Twins before signing as a free agent with the Red Sox in 2003.

However, Timberwolves president of basketball operations Flip Saunders said the team very much plans to keep Love in Minneapolis.

“The last I knew Kevin was under contract with us, and I expect him to be playing for us next year,” Saunders told reporters in Minneapolis on Sunday. “I don’t really dictate where guys go on vacation or what they do. They can go wherever they want to go.”

With regard to the teams that are interested in Love, Saunders said, “I know there’s a feeding frenzy out there from a lot of teams. Unfortunately, they have no say. I plan on Kevin being here.”

Saunders also said Celtics fans should calm down.

“They’re the same fans who thought they had Tim Duncan,” he joked, a reference to the 1997 NBA Draft lottery, where the Celtics were surprisingly leapfrogged by San Antonio, which landed the top pick and Duncan.

“They still think they got Tim Duncan in the draft. I’m not really sure, but the last I looked he was playing for San Antonio, Old Man Riverwalk.”

Either way, Sunday capped quite a weekend in Boston for Love.

During his trip, he stayed at a luxury hotel on Boylston Street, dined at an upscale restaurant in the Seaport District, grabbed lunch on the patio at a sports bar outside of Fenway Park, and attended a rooftop party at a hotel near Boston Common late Sunday.

Along the way, Love came across several Celtics fans, many of whom snagged photos that were quickly posted online.

Love also met with several prominent Boston sports stars, including members of the Patriots.

To Fairweather, Love’s visit seemed a bit surreal, as it was just a week and a half ago, on the night of the NBA Draft lottery, that local comedian Dave Russo held a promotional event at The Greatest Bar that was dedicated to Love.

It was called a “Love-In,” Fairweather said, and the idea was that Russo would stay in the bar until the Celtics made a deal to land Love. (Obviously, the Celtics didn’t make such a trade, but Russo stayed at the bar for the better part of two days, Fairweather said.)

Now, here was Love, sitting in the same bar, not long after.

“I couldn’t believe it,” Fairweather said.

In the area where the two talked, the walls surrounding them were decorated with banners from championships won by local teams. But there was one bare spot.

And before Love left that night, Fairweather pointed to that spot and told Love that they would fill it with a championship banner that the Celtics won with him.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:13 pm

Anyone who expects a Boston sports fan to "calm down" has terminal rectosis. Saunders is probably habituated to fans who clap politely and semi-whisper "Yay" when something good happens and who try to croak out a "De-fense" sound when the Cluelesstron cues them.

Boston fans root like crazy during the season, build up another head of steam when the hot stove is fired up, and dream like crazy during the summer. Call it a birthright. It's not so noisy at the Garden now as when the spectators consisted primarily of cigar-smoking guys with stentorian voices and amazing endurance during ovations. But definitely carrying on the tradition nonetheless.

I can't think of one single attraction an out-of-towner could attend that would be a better immersion in the Boston sports culture than a Red Sox game. Simply listening to, and participating in, "Sweet Caroline" during the 8th inning is simply so good, so good, so good. Having become a huge Red Sox fan before I was ever a Celtics fan, I've had the opportunity to visit a lot of ballparks around the country. Wrigley Field is a particular treat. But nothing—absolutely nothing—can top an afternoon in the sun at Fenway Park! Nothing!!!! (Bald guys, buy caps.)

My best friend, Dick Flavin, whom I've quoted before, is the daytime and weekend public address announcer for the Red Sox, who have also dubbed him the "Poet Laureate" of the team. Over the past 40 years, he has mingled with an astonishing number of baseball (and basketball) greats through his gigs as a toastmaster at banquets, etc. He’s writing a book containing the scores of verses he’s written about the Red Sox, Fenway Park, and baseball in general, interspersed with a lot of commentary. And his introduction does what I think is a nice job of summarizing the Fenway Park experience.

Sam

INTRODUCTION

I am a member in good standing of The Lucky Sperm Club, and glad of it, too. My father left me a bountiful inheritance. He loved the Boston Red Sox and he passed it on to me. As one imagines Queen Elizabeth II might have said to King George VI, “Thanks, Dad.”

My love affair with baseball and with the Red Sox in particular has been going on unabated since the day in 1945 when my father took my brother and me to Fenway Park for the first time. We filed from a busy city sidewalk into what looked and felt like a dungeon. Dark and foreboding, it wasn’t at all what I expected. I had anticipated a somewhat fancy version of the ball field in our neighborhood where the bigger kids played. I clung nervously to Daddy’s hand as we followed the shuffling crowd up a ramp.

And there it was.

It was like the scene in “The Wizard of Oz” when the film switches from black and white to technicolor. To the eyes of an eight year old it seemed like a miracle. The grass seemed greener and even the sky seemed bluer than I could have ever imagined. This, I was convinced, was a magical place. All these years later, having walked up that ramp and ones just like it literally thousand of times, I am still convinced.

I have no memory of how the game turned out that day or even who the opposing team was. But I was hooked.
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:11 pm

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Very funny my friend!! We can always count on you to inject some humor when things get a little carried away!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:18 am

From today's Boston Globe:

WALTHAM — On a day usually reserved for NBA hopefuls, as the Celtics held their first official draft workouts, Rajon Rondo blended into the landscape, watching the guard-heavy sessions following his customary day of working out his surgically repaired right knee.

And after being a part of Kevin Love’s rather public visit to Boston, Rondo addressed the possibility of playing with the three-time All-Star as well as his own cloudy future in Boston.

Rondo watched guards such as Chaz Williams from UMass, Russ Smith from Louisville, and Tim Frazier of Penn State work out before deciding to address the media for the first time in six weeks. And, of course, one of the first questions was about his interaction with Love during the Red Sox’ win over the Rays Sunday at Fenway Park.

“I talked to Kevin for about 39 seconds,” Rondo said. “It was all over the web? Well, we do work together. We played against each other. We compete, so when I saw Kevin, I spoke, wished him good luck on his time here in Boston.

“He spent a couple of days here in Boston and I told him I spent a couple of months here in Boston.”

Love is entering the final year of his contract in Minnesota and there has been speculation that the power forward will play elsewhere next season. Boston could be at the top of his priority list, but Rondo said the two did not discuss the possibility of playing together.

“I didn’t pitch anything,” Rondo said. “I just told him to enjoy his time here. When I was at the game, some people came up to me and told me Kevin was sitting in some really nice seats. I didn’t know I would see him. I saw him as I was exiting the game.”

The addition of a player such as Love would enhance the Celtics’ chances of competing and perhaps of keeping Rondo in Boston for the long term. Rondo’s contract, like Love’s, expires following the 2014-15 season.

“I believe in [team president] Danny [Ainge], it’s his job [to improve the team] and he’s working on it now,” Rondo said. “I don’t need to say how good [Love] is. The world sees it every night or they see his stats every night.

“We have to find a way to beat the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs the way both teams are continuing to dominate the last couple of seasons.

“The two or three years we were good, they geared up to beat the Boston Celtics, just like the year before we got up to beat the Detroit Pistons. So it’s a matter of trying to get the right team together to beat the Heat and the Spurs, because they’re the teams to beat.”

How much would Love help in that effort? “I think we’d be a lot better if we had a guy like Kevin,” Rondo said. “He’s a shooting [power forward]. He’s going to help us out on the glass, obviously.

“But this is all speculation. Nothing’s happened. We talk about Kevin all day or we could insert Carmelo [Anthony’s] name but nothing’s happened. We’ve got a couple of days left before the [June 26] draft, things may shake up before that time.”

Rondo made it apparent that the Celtics’ 25-57 season was difficult and he wants the organization to take a major step forward.

“Well, at the end of the day, I want to win, I want to win now,” Rondo said. “And I’m sure Danny will have the guys in here to compete for a title. I don’t just want to make the playoffs and get to the first and second rounds. And I feel when I make the playoffs, I expect to win every time.”

Once again, Rondo said he would like to finish his career in Boston. He also said he will spend a majority of the summer in Boston for the first time.

“I don’t like change, really,” he said. “I’m pretty comfortable. I have a beautiful home here. I love it. I have great neighbors.

“I don’t want to leave, but it’s part of the process that I’ll talk about once the season is over. As of now, I’m a Celtic.”

Sam's ramblings:

If this weekend visit by Kevin Love accomplished anything, it was to provide us with a virtual glossary of media speak.  When all is said and done, I'm left with three thoughts:

1. It does seem curious that he'd up and visit Boston at this point in time.  Why Boston?  Why not visit his girlfriend for a nice little side trip—or maybe a nice big trip?  He had to know that a weekend visit to Boston "to see what kind of city it is" would fuel trade speculation.
why boston

2. He seems to have interfaced with Boston fans, media, and even Rondo (though briefly) with grace and humor.  That's nice to see.

3. It will be interesting to see whether he decides to pop into other NBA cities—especially those in the east that he gets to visit only twice a year.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:00 am

One day in Paris was enough for me to be hooked. Ditto one day on Crete and one day in San Francisco... Toronto took two days (in the summer).
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:12 am

worcester wrote:One day in Paris was enough for me to be hooked. Ditto one day on Crete and one day in San Francisco... Toronto took two days (in the summer).

worcester,

It must have been the diversions in Crete that did it.

I agree about Paris and SF (that's why I live out here). Toronto? Didn't feel it. Montreal? Me and my buds used to drive up from SUNY Albany after dinner and party the night away in Old Montreal. Drive south over the border as the sun was coming up, be home in time for breakfast (unless we were delayed because Customs put our car up on a rack, which happened once or twice).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:25 am

Montreal was awesome at first sight, although it's easy to go blind there. On one street - St. Catherine's - I visited 20 bars my first night there.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:27 am

Worcester,

I'm on board with Paris, San Fran and Crete...but also with Nassau and New York City.

Bob,

For a couple of years, we lived in Burlington, VT. We were less than two hours from Montreal, and we visited every month or two. Spent New Year's Eve on Crescent Street—a blast and a half! Listened to jazz at Biddles. Occasionally followed the kilted piper around Olgilvie's Department Store at noon. Watched the annual multi-country fireworks competition from a boat in the the middle of the St. Lawrence River. Learned to segway.

Great memories! Which, I've finally discovered, are what it's ultimately all about.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:31 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Flip Saunders is saying that Love will be in Minny next year ESPN Bostom.com

This is a local, Minny paper:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/261607241.html

Rand: Management can't always give honest answers
Updated: June 3, 2014 - 5:58 AM

You are forgiven if you want to believe Timberwolves President of Basketball Operations Flip Saunders when he says he expects Kevin Love to play for Minnesota next season. Love is easily the franchise’s second-best player ever, and he’s the main reason the team made a modest jump to 40 victories last season.

But you are also forgiven if you don’t believe Saunders. Because you are not a fool. And you have a long memory. This is what personnel bosses do — they deny, deny, deny until the day that they make a deal. This is not your imagination. This has happened over and over again.

When Saunders said Sunday, “Last I knew Kevin was under contract to us, and I expect him to be playing for us next year,” it sounded so much like other things you have already heard. And we have proof:

• “We have no intent of trading Percy Harvin. Percy Harvin is under contract and we expect him, just like all of our players under contract, to be here. He is a very good football player.” — Vikings GM Rick Spielman on Feb. 15, 2013. In many cases, this was very similar to Love’s situation — a player with a special talent and an injury history who apparently no longer wanted to be in Minnesota. Four weeks later, on March 11, Harvin was traded to Seattle.

• “You always say, ‘We’ll see what happens,’ but every year it’s the same thing. Some guy in a blog writes something and then everybody runs with it. You guys are in the reaction business, to people who are just making things up, and it’s just unbelievable.” — Kevin McHale, former Wolves boss, on June 20, 2007, swatting down Kevin Garnett trade talk. Yep, it was all in our imaginations, Kevin. There was no truth to the rumors. Except that on July 31 of that year, Garnett was traded to the Celtics.

• From the Feb. 7, 2005, Star Tribune: VP of football operations Rob Brzezinski said there have been no [trade] discussions, either with Red McCombs or other NFL teams.

“I don’t know why this thing keeps being brought up,” Brzezinski said. “It hasn’t even been discussed at all.” He was talking about a Randy Moss trade. And he was probably lying because two weeks later, Moss was traded to Oakland.

Why do they sell a different version of the story? To cover their bases and also to create trade leverage. It’s happened before, and it will happen again. In a couple of years, when another Minnesota star is tired of it here, we’ll have another denial and probably another trade. If Love is dealt, remember Saunders’ words.

Michael Rand
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:04 pm

Last week I spent two days in Toronto at the invitation of a patient and his wife, who was receiving the Order of Ontario Award for donating - with her husband - $326 million to various charities in Canada. One of their gifts was the China wing of the Royal Ontario Museum, the largest collection of Chinese art outside of China. That made the trip for me.
His younger brother owns the Toronto Raptors. It was interesting to me how two men from the same family chose to spend their money in such different ways.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:13 pm

worcester wrote:Last week I spent two days in Toronto at the invitation of a patient and his wife, who was receiving the Order of Ontario Award for donating - with her husband - $326 million to various charities in Canada. One of their gifts was the China wing of the Royal Ontario Museum, the largest collection of Chinese art outside of China. That made the trip for me.
His younger brother owns the Toronto Raptors. It was interesting to me how two men from the same family chose to spend their money in such different ways.

worcester,

Wow, you travel in exalted circles.

If I had a choice between donating 1/3 of a billion dollars to charity or using that to buy the Boston Celtics (Wyc etal bought the Celtics for $360M in 2002), which would I do?

I'd buy the Celtics and then run charities through them, that's what. They are not mutually exclusive.

Jiminy! What's the last name of your patient? Bronfman? Damn! That's a lot of money to give away and still not have to worry about putting potatoes on the plate.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:33 pm

One can usually detect when a team official is covering his butt with generalities or slanted language. Somehow, they can't quite bring themselves to lie. So they equivocate by using qualifying terms. In this case, the word "expect" was the tipoff for me. I can just hear Saunders saying, "Well, we really did expect Kevin to be with us next season, but the offer of Chris Babb and a second round draft pick in 2017 was just too good to resist."

Media types are even more notorious (and skilled) at shading their verbiage. How many times have you seen something like, "Kobe would not deny a suggestion that he plans to purchase Colorado and burn it?"

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Sam wrote:1. It does seem curious that he'd up and visit Boston at this point in time. Why Boston? Why not visit his girlfriend for a nice little side trip—or maybe a nice big trip? He had to know that a weekend visit to Boston "to see what kind of city it is" would fuel trade speculation.
Fueling speculation was precisely the objective. He wants out, and he wants to prod Minny management into trading him prior to the season. Boston is a better choice than LA or the Bay Area because he spends time in California in the offseason already and a "visit" there wouldn't generate the immediate splash that the trip to Boston did.

Plus, the Lakers and Golden State are in the same conference as the Timberwolves, and consorting with an out-of-conference city like Boston is far more innocuous than shacking up with the Lakers or Warriors for the weekend. He wants to do what he can to force a trade, but he doesn't need to portray himself as a total jerk in the process.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:07 pm

http://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport/basketball/59460-holding-court-celtics-pacers-opposite-directions

Excerpts from the above article, which covers other non-Celtic (and therefore, by definition, meaningless, things.  LOL):

Unless Love does the same thing with prospective suitors that include Cleveland, Phoenix and Golden State, his sighting in Boston and seeming good time while posing with local residents, the New England Patriots, a Harvard alumnus and anybody who’d want his picture taken with him could mean something more than a simple visit. In fact, fellow Celtic-phile and hoops buff Anton Ibe shared information coming from a guy who told of a similar development in 2007 (when the Celtics pried another star forward, Kevin Garnett, out of Minnesota). The inside source reportedly said, “Hearing from 3/3 sources Kevin Love is here for basketball reasons. In the past 14 days the Boston Celtics are now emerging as the No. 1 candidate for landing Kevin Love. Love and his agents are actively involved in trade talks, which prompted this trip after determining that Boston was the No. 1 option as of these past 14 days.”

Timberwolves president of basketball operations Flip Saunders was quick to dismiss reports indicating Love was bound for Boston, saying, “The last I knew Kevin was under contract with us, and I expect him to be playing for us next year. I don’t really dictate where guys go on vacation or what they do. They can go wherever they want to go.”

It should be noted, however, that Saunders has to talk that way to avoid giving away whatever is going on behind closed doors, if indeed there are any, or lose any kind of leverage in whatever potential negotiations may take place, if none have yet to this point. The fact remains that Love’s representatives are believed to have told the T’Wolves that the 6-10, 243-pound forward, who averaged 26.1 points, 12.5 rebounds and 4.4 assists this past season, intends to opt out of his contract when it expires in 2015. The T’Wolves thus have to work out a trade for Love or risk getting nothing in the event he walks.

But why Boston, not Los Angeles where the Lakers would jump at the opportunity to acquire a native son (Love was born in Santa Monica, California and went to UCLA)? Or perhaps Golden State where Love would also feel at home or perhaps Phoenix, which is nearer the West Coast?

Well, for one, Love has said that he wants to play for an organization in a big market that is steeped in winning. While that won’t necessarily disqualify the Lakers, that would certainly offer a window of opportunity for the Celts. Former Providence coach Tim Welsh of CSN has said that Love would come to Boston if a trade can be worked out between the Wolves and the Celtics. A source close to Love told Welsh that the three-time All-star “wants to play for an organization that’s going to be a winning organization; not necessarily I have to go to a championship team now, but a team that’s going to be built to move in that direction. Maybe it’ll take a couple years. That’s OK. But he needs a change from Minnesota.”

For another, Love and former Boston captain Paul Pierce have the same agent, Jeff Schwartz, and Schwartz has had a good history with Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge, who worked out a trade last year to a team, Brooklyn, where Pierce would be happy because of its contending status. One should not also forget that Saunders himself was an adviser to the Celtics two years ago and traveled with the team throughout their playoff run that ended in a Game 7 loss in the East finals in Miami. As such, he and Ainge have that invaluable link necessary to discuss more intimately stuff like trades.

Third, the Celtics have a big cache of assets, including as many as 10 first-round picks over the next five years, as well as young players that Minnesota can use in its own rebuilding, and which other teams, like the Lakers, are not in the position to provide.

“I’ve got confidence that with all these picks and these young guys and our willingness to spend money that we can get there,” Grousbeck said last March as he looked at what his team intends to do this offseason. “We’re a patient group. We will take a multiyear plan if that’s what it takes. But I think this June there could be some fireworks. I think this June we’ve got so many pieces to this puzzle that we might be able to shake loose a real piece or two for this team going forward. So, I’m hoping it’s sooner rather than later.”

Love’s sighting in Boston over the weekend has undoubtedly spawned a lot of intrigue among hoops denizens. One source, for example, has said that the Boston deal is “pretty much done,” and that the Celtics really intend to pair off Love and Celtics captain Rajon Rondo with New York’s Carmelo Anthony, an impending free agent himself, to form a lethal triumvirate that would rival the Heat’s own Big Three.

The source, an insider at RealGM.com, said, “The Love deal is pretty much done. I think the fact that Kevin Love is so out and about in Boston is something that Danny wants out there so he can show someone like Melo that he means business. The Melo thing is the one that is on the hush. Melo is the primary target. They need a scorer from the wing position. Cs need to get Love first in order to work one (with) Melo. That’s why Kevin Love is in town, he knows he is headed to Boston. Love is a done deal, the focus now is Melo. He was the primary target. Love opting in on his final year allows the Cs to sign Melo to a long-term deal first. Then work on a team-friendly deal with Rondo and then take care of Kevin. Also, could Tyson Chandler be dealt to Boston?”

The same source revealed that the Boston trip is, in fact, something that was planned with Rondo. “Hearing Rondo and Love talked 11 days ago regarding this trip, on the phone, and that Rondo and him have maintained regular correspondence for the past 27 days,” the source said.

bob
MY NOTE:  Ok, so we don't know who this anonymous insider source at RealGM is.  Inside to whom, RealGM or T-Wolves or Kevin Love?  So let's take this with the same grain of salt we take anonymous sources in the newspaper about non-Celtic issues, but does this SOUND like something Danny would do?  Absolutely.  It still doesn't address the Asik/Gortat issue, but a Rondo/Love/Melo team would be interesting.  Highly-powered offensively, highly questionable defensively.  And it would absolutely draw other free agents for fillers.  I'm not sure you can pick up a quality center as a "free agent filler", so that issue still needs to be addressed.  

If all this blah blah happens (MASSIVE IFs) then this would be the fastest rebuild in NBA history, but it's not something I'd be putting my money on as happening. WAY too much speculation. And how would they afford Love, Melo, Rondo and the $11M or so for a quality center?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:41 pm

I found this being quoted by a poster on Celticblog.com as coming from Adrian Woj, but have not been able to trace it back to Woj independently:

Fox Sports TV last night from the show:

"Through my sources, I reported recently that Minnesota All-Star Kevin Love had a significant interest in the Boston Celtics when he becomes a free agent next summer. That's the reason he spent this weekend with his agent and personal trainer in the city getting a great sense of the sporting landscape."

"Love continues to maintain to Minnesota management that he wants a trade before next season or he's going to opt out and the organization will get nothing for him".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:55 pm

I'd have to see Melo in a very different view, especially on defense, for me to want him as a Celtic. But players have changed their stripes before upon joining the Celtics, so who knows what the possibilities could be? But why is it that such a huge proportion of rumors about the Celtics continue to ignore the nole in the middle?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:37 pm

A slightly different perspective from Chad Finn of the Boston Globe:

Sam

Five Thoughts on Kevin Love, Boston Tourist and Potential Future Celtics Cornerstone

Chad Finn
@GlobeChadFinn
Boston.com Staff
June 3, 2014 1:33 PM
About the Author

Chad Finn is the sports media columnist for the Globe and writes the irreverent Touching All the Bases blog for Boston.com. A frequent panelist on Globe 10.0 and the Red Sox Podcast, he previously worked at the Concord Monitor in New Hampshire.

1. I suppose if we see him doing the Ferris Bueller swing-battah thing at a Cubs game next weekend, we'll know for sure that Kevin Love is officially on an NBA "House Hunters" national tour.

But until that happens, or until he shows up in Oakland to watch the outstanding A's in their backed-up septic tank of a ballpark, I'm convinced his weekend in New England wasn't a casual visit to figure if he might like to play here.

No, I'm convinced that Love, a basketball aficionado and lifelong Larry Joe Bird admirer, was pretty sure this was where he wanted to be long before knocking back his first Sam Adams at the Greatest Bar. This was just the trip for first-person, good-time confirmation of what he already knew.

Given that it happened to occur on the nicest day of the year, with the Fenway experience as good as it gets on that particular day, I imagine Love's presumably positive perception of the city was only enhanced, presuming the apparent 33,000 people who took pictures with him treated him kindly.

2. Facetiousness and some element of wishful thinking aside, here's what I honestly think is happening with Love: He and his agent determined that Boston -- with the assets to give up, a pass-first point guard in Rajon Rondo, a bright young coach, smart management, clear-headed ownership, and unmatched history -- was the place for him to be.

Once that was decided, it became time to activate the savvy business aspect of the plan. So now they're in the process of putting the squeeze on the Timberwolves to get him here, with the threat -- implied or bluntly delivered -- that he'll walk away next summer if they don't trade him to the destination of his choice.

If I'm a Timberwolves fan -- I'm presuming that isn't an oxymoron -- I'm enraged that Love is sampling other destinations with a year left on his deal. But Flip Saunders can't afford to take an emotional approach. He needs to do what is best for the T-Wolves' future. I still think Golden State might offer the most enticing package of players.

But if Love says Boston is where he wants to be and he's not staying beyond a year elsewhere, there is something of an onus on Saunders to make it happen.

3. Spent some time poking through the Globe archives trying to find a "we expect him to be here next season" quote from Kevin McHale regarding Kevin Garnett in summer 2007 to match Saunders's similar recent sentiments about Love.

Had no luck, but I did stumble upon some amusing skepticism from various respected sources about the possibility of trading for Garnett seven years ago.

Had to chuckle at this quote from Bob Cousy, who told Dan Shaughnessy on draft night '07 that he was underwhelmed with the trade of No. 5 overall pick Jeff Green (yes, him) to Seattle for Ray Allen.

"I didn't want them to make any trades," mused the first great Celtic. "I don't have that kind of confidence in aging free agents, especially guys like Garnett or Allen who haven't won anything. Arnold [Red Auerbach to you] did that effectively when he brought in players like Willie Naulls, Carl Braun, Dave Bing, and Pete Maravich. They'd come here and play 12 minutes a game and grab a ring. But you've got to get lucky to have a Garnett come in and break his tail at 31 or 32 years old. I would rather have seen them continue with the youth movement and take the kid from China."

The kid from China was Yi Jianlian, who averaged 7.9 points per game (better than I expected to find, actually) in five NBA seasons. Others lamented that day as prospects the Celtics let get away: Joakim Noah (OK, he has the second-most Win Shares in that draft to Kevin Durant), Corey Brewer, Brandan Wright, Green, and Boston College flameout Sean Williams.

4. I believe Paul Pierce will retire as a member of the Celtics, and not on one of those faux-sentimental one-day contracts that equate to the gold watch nowadays.

He'll play for them again, and given that Love's agent is also his agent, it would not surprise me at all if he's your moderate-salaried sixth man who adds a welcome back-to-the-future element to next season's revamped roster.

Love, Rondo, Pierce, a few useful holdovers, a promising draft pick or two (I'm almost more curious about what Ainge does at No. 17 than No. 6), and some savvy Eddie House/James Posey-style bolstering of the bench by Danny Ainge? Sign me up.

5. It's a riot how Love's visit to Boston included an audience with Gronk. I mean, of course it did. He's become one of Boston's greatest ambassadors and tourist attractions, our goofy human Faneuil Hall or something.

Hey, and if we're being really creative with how Love might be utilized here, I can think of worse options than lining him up as the second tight end opposite Gronk. At the least, we know he has better hands than Jermichael Finley.
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next