beat
kdp59
bobheckler
12 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Kevin Love Visits Boston - Page 3 Empty Re: Kevin Love Visits Boston

Post by Sam Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Kevin Love is turning out the be the best possible ingredient of the off-season for a message board. Providing fodder for endless conjecture. Stimulating a load of entertainment and laughter. A catalyst for dreams. Motivating some forays into the realm of the absurd. We need about four Kevin Loves per off-season: one each in June, July, August and September.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:00 pm

sam wrote:A slightly different perspective from Chad Finn of the Boston Globe:

Sam

Five Thoughts on Kevin Love, Boston Tourist and Potential Future Celtics Cornerstone

Chad Finn
   @GlobeChadFinn
   Boston.com Staff
   June 3, 2014 1:33 PM
   About the Author

Chad Finn is the sports media columnist for the Globe and writes the irreverent Touching All the Bases blog for Boston.com. A frequent panelist on Globe 10.0 and the Red Sox Podcast, he previously worked at the Concord Monitor in New Hampshire.

1. I suppose if we see him doing the Ferris Bueller swing-battah thing at a Cubs game next weekend, we'll know for sure that Kevin Love is officially on an NBA "House Hunters" national tour.

But until that happens, or until he shows up in Oakland to watch the outstanding A's in their backed-up septic tank of a ballpark, I'm convinced his weekend in New England wasn't a casual visit to figure if he might like to play here.

No, I'm convinced that Love, a basketball aficionado and lifelong Larry Joe Bird admirer, was pretty sure this was where he wanted to be long before knocking back his first Sam Adams at the Greatest Bar. This was just the trip for first-person, good-time confirmation of what he already knew.

Given that it happened to occur on the nicest day of the year, with the Fenway experience as good as it gets on that particular day, I imagine Love's presumably positive perception of the city was only enhanced, presuming the apparent 33,000 people who took pictures with him treated him kindly.

2. Facetiousness and some element of wishful thinking aside, here's what I honestly think is happening with Love: He and his agent determined that Boston -- with the assets to give up, a pass-first point guard in Rajon Rondo, a bright young coach, smart management, clear-headed ownership, and unmatched history -- was the place for him to be.

Once that was decided, it became time to activate the savvy business aspect of the plan. So now they're in the process of putting the squeeze on the Timberwolves to get him here, with the threat -- implied or bluntly delivered -- that he'll walk away next summer if they don't trade him to the destination of his choice.

If I'm a Timberwolves fan -- I'm presuming that isn't an oxymoron -- I'm enraged that Love is sampling other destinations with a year left on his deal. But Flip Saunders can't afford to take an emotional approach. He needs to do what is best for the T-Wolves' future. I still think Golden State might offer the most enticing package of players.

But if Love says Boston is where he wants to be and he's not staying beyond a year elsewhere, there is something of an onus on Saunders to make it happen.

3. Spent some time poking through the Globe archives trying to find a "we expect him to be here next season" quote from Kevin McHale regarding Kevin Garnett in summer 2007 to match Saunders's similar recent sentiments about Love.

Had no luck, but I did stumble upon some amusing skepticism from various respected sources about the possibility of trading for Garnett seven years ago.

Had to chuckle at this quote from Bob Cousy, who told Dan Shaughnessy on draft night '07 that he was underwhelmed with the trade of No. 5 overall pick Jeff Green (yes, him) to Seattle for Ray Allen.

"I didn't want them to make any trades," mused the first great Celtic. "I don't have that kind of confidence in aging free agents, especially guys like Garnett or Allen who haven't won anything. Arnold [Red Auerbach to you] did that effectively when he brought in players like Willie Naulls, Carl Braun, Dave Bing, and Pete Maravich. They'd come here and play 12 minutes a game and grab a ring. But you've got to get lucky to have a Garnett come in and break his tail at 31 or 32 years old. I would rather have seen them continue with the youth movement and take the kid from China."

The kid from China was Yi Jianlian, who averaged 7.9 points per game (better than I expected to find, actually) in five NBA seasons. Others lamented that day as prospects the Celtics let get away: Joakim Noah (OK, he has the second-most Win Shares in that draft to Kevin Durant), Corey Brewer, Brandan Wright, Green, and Boston College flameout Sean Williams.

4. I believe Paul Pierce will retire as a member of the Celtics, and not on one of those faux-sentimental one-day contracts that equate to the gold watch nowadays.

He'll play for them again, and given that Love's agent is also his agent, it would not surprise me at all if he's your moderate-salaried sixth man who adds a welcome back-to-the-future element to next season's revamped roster.

Love, Rondo, Pierce, a few useful holdovers, a promising draft pick or two (I'm almost more curious about what Ainge does at No. 17 than No. 6), and some savvy Eddie House/James Posey-style bolstering of the bench by Danny Ainge? Sign me up.

5. It's a riot how Love's visit to Boston included an audience with Gronk. I mean, of course it did. He's become one of Boston's greatest ambassadors and tourist attractions, our goofy human Faneuil Hall or something.

Hey, and if we're being really creative with how Love might be utilized here, I can think of worse options than lining him up as the second tight end opposite Gronk. At the least, we know he has better hands than Jermichael Finley.

Hey Chad!  I got yah Kevin McHale quote right heah.

“You always say, ‘We’ll see what happens,’ but every year it’s the same thing. Some guy in a blog writes something and then everybody runs with it. You guys are in the reaction business, to people who are just making things up, and it’s just unbelievable.” — Kevin McHale, former Wolves boss, on June 20, 2007, swatting down Kevin Garnett trade talk.  On July 31 of that year, 5 weeks later, Garnett was traded to the Celtics.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:20 pm

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2014/06/03/chris-mannix-on-mfb-kevin-love-knew-exactly-what-he-was-doing-when-he-went-to-boston/#more-61026

CHRIS MANNIX ON MFB: ‘KEVIN [LOVE] KNEW EXACTLY WHAT HE WAS DOING WHEN HE WENT TO BOSTON’
06.03.14 at 12:58 pm ET
By Nick Canelas

Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix joined Middays with MFB on Tuesday to discuss the Celtics and Kevin Love. To hear the interview, go to the MFB audio on demand page.

Love’s name has sparked trade rumors since the power forward made it clear that he does not plan to re-sign with Minnesota after next season. The Celtics are one of those teams that appear to be interested, which is why Mannix said it’s no coincidence he was spotted in Boston this past weekend.

“I think it’€™s worth getting excited about,” Mannix said. “I think that Kevin knew exactly what he was doing when he went to Boston. I grew up there, I love the town, but nobody vacations in Boston this time of year. The guy just finished a long season, why wouldn’t he go home to Washington state or go back to Southern California to take a break? I think there was a reason for that trip.

“Look, he’€™s made it clear through his representatives to Minnesota that he has no intentions of re-signing there after next season. They’€™re going to opt out of the contract and they’€™re going to look elsewhere for better opportunities. … I don’€™t think it happens before the draft, but sometime this offseason I wouldn’t be surprised if Kevin Love is moved.”

Mannix said he doesn’t expect Love to be dealt before the draft due to “salary cap ramifications.” But, he said Love’s trip to Boston was meant to “put a little more pressure on Minnesota to make a move.”

“I think there’€™s a subliminal message there. He’€™s putting it right in Flip Saunders‘€™ face,” Mannix said. “Look, Flip reacted to it somewhat negatively. … I don’€™t think they were entirely pleased with Kevin’€™s trip to Boston, the fanfare that it received. I guess if he wanted to he kind of could’ve flown under the radar, but he was at moments pause taking pictures with people, showing up at Red Sox games, taking a picture with Rajon Rondo, bumping into Rajon Rondo in the stadium. What are the odds that was a coincidence?”

Boston may just be the first stop on this tour, too. Mannix said other teams that are legitimate contenders for Love include the Warriors and the Lakers. But he also said there are less-discussed teams that he expects to show interest as well.

“The other part of it you have to be wary about is there are other teams, like Sacramento, that will take on Kevin Love without any kind of guarantee that Love will re-sign there in the long term,” he said. “And if you’€™re a team like Sacramento, who also has a top-10 pick, a boatload of good young talent, you could make an appeal for Sacramento as well.

“I don’€™t think is a small number of teams that could take on Kevin Love. I think there are eight or nine teams that could be realistic options if Minnesota trades him.”

The asking price for Love certainly would be high, but Mannix said he doesn’t think the Celtics should settle for giving up a handful of their draft picks to acquire him.

“It depends on the number of picks that are sent Minnesota’€™s way,” he said. “Now, if it’€™s a package that’€™s centered around the sixth pick, maybe Jared Sullinger and maybe one future pick and a fill of salaries to make the deal work, I’€™m OK with that. Kevin is 25 years old, and although he hasn’t proven himself to be a franchise player yet — he hasn’t taken his team to the playoffs — he arguably still is the best power forward in all of basketball.

“Unlike with Kevin Garnett, your window with him is more than four or five years. Your window with him might be 10 years. So it’€™s worth giving up a little bit more for Kevin Love because of the length of time you have him as your franchise centerpiece.

“Minnesota, I don’€™t expect them to make a move quickly at all. I think they’€™re going to take the temperature of maybe every team in the league to try to see what they can get for Kevin and how much they can extract from a team.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:16 pm

Pretty good logic and similar to my own expressed feelings that his trip to Boston was anything but random.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:38 pm

No one vacations in Boston in early June? Why not?

I actually happen to think Boston's rather nice in the summer.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:27 pm

From the human rotisseries on the Boston Esplanade to the 67,000 people who visited today's 32nd Scoopathon at Boston City Hall Plaza to the legions of tourists overflowing Fenway Park to the hordes of tourists patronizing the businesses at Quincy Market, the Duck Tours, Boston's plethora of hotels, Boston is alive and well and sagging under the weight of all the tourism. Kevin Mannix apparently doesn't know his butt from his elbow when it comes to Boston.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:01 am

Hi,
Here is an interesting piece by Jackie Mac. Nothing earth shattering but worth the time, IMO.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:10 pm

Outside wrote:
Sam wrote:1. It does seem curious that he'd up and visit Boston at this point in time.  Why Boston?  Why not visit his girlfriend for a nice little side trip—or maybe a nice big trip?  He had to know that a weekend visit to Boston "to see what kind of city it is" would fuel trade speculation.
Fueling speculation was precisely the objective. He wants out, and he wants to prod Minny management into trading him prior to the season. Boston is a better choice than LA or the Bay Area because he spends time in California in the offseason already and a "visit" there wouldn't generate the immediate splash that the trip to Boston did.

Plus, the Lakers and Golden State are in the same conference as the Timberwolves, and consorting with an out-of-conference city like Boston is far more innocuous than shacking up with the Lakers or Warriors for the weekend. He wants to do what he can to force a trade, but he doesn't need to portray himself as a total jerk in the process.

Interesting and intelligent take on this topic.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:00 pm

Minnesota would be foolish to allow him to stay in the west.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:03 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/06/kevin_love_makes_media_rounds.html

Kevin Love's representatives make interesting request: No questions about Boston Celtics

Interestingly, when Love's representatives set up a phone interview with The Big Lead, they included only one rule: no questions about the Boston Celtics. The website was allowed to ask about any other team; one question referenced the Cleveland Cavaliers' reported pursuit. (He replied, in part, "I don’t think the Cleveland [trade rumors] are outlandish at all. They have a great young foundation.) But for whatever reason, Love's agents ruled Celtics talk off limits. The 25-year-old very publicly visited Boston two weekends ago in what has been called a message.

Also interesting: Love described what it's like to hear rumors every time he steps into another basketball city without mentioning the media frenzy he created by spending a few days in Boston. Nobody got crazier to spot Love in town than Celtics fans did, but he noted two other cities instead.

"In a lot of ways it’s laughable, but in other ways I guess it’s humbling for a number of reasons. I can’t go anywhere without someone saying I’m going to their team," he told The Big Lead. "A Brewers game? I’m going to the Milwaukee Bucks. If I spend time in South Beach, it’s the Miami Heat. It’s funny how the world works. I respect what people put out there, but a lot of it is not true and laughable. At the same time, it’s fun and nice to be wanted."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:13 pm

Seems to me Kevin is justifiably sick of all the attention his Boston visit spawned.  However, unless he figured that tall guys don't stand out in a crowd, he has only himself to blame.

The thing is that it has to be increasingly difficult to explain away such an unlikely visit as that one.  And he's sick of doing so.  Hence the ban on such questions.

I don't believe the imposed cone of silence has anything to do with whether or not he might possibly become a Celtic.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:41 pm

I'm quite sure Kevin Love knew what the consequences would be for visiting Boston. He just doesn't want to talk about it.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Now Minny thinks the Celts will be making the best offer for Kevin Love:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2014/06/report_timberwolves_believe_celtics_have_put_together_best_t.html

With the NBA Draft just nine days away, the trade market for the Minnesota Timberwolves’ Kevin Love is starting to heat up again. According to a new report from ESPN’s Chad Ford, the Wolves may be coming to the realization that the best trade offer for Love may come from the Celtics.

But I continue to get strong signals that the Celtics are trying hard to use pick No. 6 and 17 along with future No. 1s and young players such as Jared Sullinger or Kelly Olynyk to persuade the Minnesota Timberwolves to trade them Kevin Love. One source close to the Wolves said that while Flip Saunders does not want to trade Love, he realizes the team likely will lose him this summer and the package the Celtics are offering is probably the best he's going to get. Given the strength of the draft, picks 6, 13 and 17 could land them three young starters to help them rebuild their roster quickly.

Analysis: Ford’s report is a welcome sign for Celtics fans that have heard conflicting reports in recent weeks that Boston’s trade package might be enough to land Love.

The more you look at the potential list of suitors for Love though, the more sense it makes that the Celtics will be able to make a top bid if they choose. The Rockets reportedly know they are outgunned in any trade offer for Love already.

Teams like the Bulls, Suns, and Warriors can offer young talent such as Jimmy Butler or Harrison Barnes for Love, but lack a high lottery pick Boston can provide in a deal. Additionally, the value of players like Barnes or Butler is limited since they only have a year or two remaining on their current rookie-scale contracts. After that, both players will be due for serious raises in free agency, limiting their value to a rebuilding Minnesota team.

A Celtics package of this year’s first round picks (6+17), Olynyk (under contract for three more years) and Sullinger (under contract for two more years) would provide the Wolves with young cost-controlled talent they would crave for the remainder of the decade. Boston also has the ability to sweeten any offer with additional future first round picks or ample salary cap relief via non-guaranteed contracts (Keith Bogans, Chris Johnson, Phil Pressey, Chris Babb) on their roster.

Signed first round picks are under a team's control via rookie-scale contracts for four full seasons, making them particularly appealing to rebuilding franchises. The Celtics have nine first rounds picks over the next five seasons that they can use in any deal.

There’s still plenty of time for other teams to jump into the fold for Love with more competitive offers, but with their bevy of assets you can bet Boston's front office will remain in top contention for Love's services until the Wolves pull the trigger on a deal.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:18 pm

Just tacking this to a previous article involving Kevin Love.  I have no idea who this guy is or what his credibility may be.  But, I'm just the messenger.

Sam

NBA News 2014:Chicago Bulls To Trade Joakim Noah, Taj Gibson for Shot at Kevin Love, Carmelo Anthony
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 18, 2014 1:33 PM EST
The Chicago Bulls are ready to make an aggressive move this offseason, and it starts by making everybody available on the trading block, all except All-Star point guard Derrick Rose, according to the Chicago Sun Times.

Kevin Love Visits Boston - Page 3 445199-nba-playoffs-chicago-bulls-at-washington-wizards
View Full Image
Reuters
NBA: Playoffs-Chicago Bulls at Washington Wizards

Kevin Love Visits Boston - Page 3 1402692800

After a string of postseason frustrations, the Bulls are apparently eager to remake their roster by adding an All-Star in the fold. Minnesota Timberwolves power forward Kevin Love is no doubt on top of GM Gar Forman's wislist, but the name of New York Knicks Carmelo Anthony is also ringing loudly on the free-agency chatter as well.
Of course, the Bulls top-brass understands that they need to sacrifice some of their assets for them to pull off a gargantuan of a deal. In a very shocking move, they are making any player except Rose available for trade negotiations - including reigning Defensive Player of the Year and All-NBA first team member Joakim Noah.

Via Chicago Times.
"According to several NBA sources Sunday, the Bulls have been actively looking to improve the starting lineup at almost any cost, with Derrick Rose the only untouchable player - and not by choice."
"They are looking to exhaust as many assets as it will take,'' one source said of general manager Gar Forman and head of basketball operations John Paxson....
"Carmelo Anthony is still Plan A as the Bulls and the rest of the NBA await to see if the Knicks forward will opt out of his contract. But the Bulls are more active in their pursuit of Kevin Love than initially rumored. Also, don't rule out LeBron James coming into play again if the four-time MVP opts out of his deal."
Noah has been lobbying the Bulls front office to get Anthony this summer, but not to the extent of trading frontcourt buddy Taj Gibson. However, after the Bulls lost to the Washington Wizards in the first round, Noah's stance on keeping Gibson might have loosened as the Bulls look to another star to play alongside him and Rose.
Then again, Noah is not safe to trade possibilities. The Bulls tried to sell him last offseason for Love or Portland Trail Blazers power forward LaMarcus Aldridge and it might happen again in the next several weeks heading into the free-agency period.
Other trade assets the Bulls could use is defensive stud Jimmy Butler, Mike Dunleavy, Kirk Hinrick, Gibson and perhaps the rights to European sensation Nikola Mirotic.
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:53 pm

6/18/14

Baxter Holmes @BaxterHolmes about 4 hours ago
After talking to league sources, my new top-three potential destinations for Kevin Love: 1. GSW. 2. Chicago. 3. Denver.

Reply Retweet Favorite

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:00 pm

Signing Rose to that contract really backfired didn't it?

Can't see Melo going there. He wants to win now, not join a team with it's star player a question mark..

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:03 am

Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
Follow
Sources: in addition to Wilson Chandler and Kenneth Faried, Denver offering Minnesota a player they would acquire (Arron Afflalo) for Love.
7:49 PM - 18 Jun 2014

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:04 am

Kevin Love Visits Boston - Page 3 BqdtGIvCQAAv9WM

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:03 pm

but as you've said before Bob, the salarys don't work. Unless we re-sign Bradley for somewhere around $8M/year. (and thats WITH both draft picks, Sully and KellyO all being included in the deal, which is simply too much to me).

why would Minny want Bradley for $8M?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:58 pm

It's being reported that Klay Thompson has been added to the Kevin Love trade rumors. This would be a good trade for both teams. It seems as if Minnesota wants to really unload Kevin Martin and his remaining 3 years at $21.25m.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11108483/golden-state-warriors-add-klay-thompson-possible-kevin-love-trade

Warriors add Thompson to Love talks

Updated: June 19, 2014, 3:44 PM ET

By  Marc Stein | ESPN.com

The Golden State Warriors have greatly increased their chances of acquiring All-Star forward Kevin Love by making sharpshooting swingman Klay Thompson available to the Minnesota Timberwolves in trade talks, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com that Golden State, after initially resisting Minnesota's desire to land Thompson in a Love deal, has relented and is now willing to package Steph Curry's trusted backcourt mate along with David Lee and first-round pick in a trade for Love that could materialize quickly with the 2014 NBA draft looming Thursday.

Kevin Love, who averaged 26.1 points and 12.5 rebounds last season, has made it known that he will not re-sign with the Timberwolves after next season.

Thompson's father Mychal, himself a former No. 1 overall pick in the NBA draft and now a radio analyst on Los Angeles Lakers broadcasts, said Thursday on ESPN LA 710 AM that the Warriors and Wolves are discussing a deal in which Golden State would also receive Kevin Martin from Minnesota in addition to Love.

The teams are still in the process of exchanging various trade proposals that would put other players into the deal, sources said. ESPN's Chris Broussard reports that one scenario being discussed is the Wolves acquiring Thompson and Lee for Love, Martin, J.J. Barea and Minnesota's 13th pick.

It remains to be seen whether the Chicago Bulls will continue to chase Love as hard as Golden State has -- which would likely cost them the prized likes of Jimmy Butler and Taj Gibson -- or focus their efforts on trying to sign or trade for Carmelo Anthony, who has until Monday to decide whether to opt in or out of the final season on his current New York Knicks contract valued at $23.3 million.

As ESPN.com reported last month, Golden State and Chicago are two destinations at the top of Love's list in potential trades, which is an avenue Minnesota has been forced to explore after Love's representatives made it clear to Wolves management that Love would exercise his right to become a free agent in July 2015 and refuse any attempts by the Wolves to re-sign him.

The Boston Celtics, Phoenix Suns and Denver Nuggets are also among the teams making a determined trade push to acquire Love, sources said, but Golden State's ability to furnish Minnesota with multiple quality players that are ready to produce right away is believed to hold great appeal to Timberwolves president of basketball Flip Saunders, who earlier this month added coaching duties to his plate.

The most attractive element of the offers from Boston and Phoenix, sources say, is the prospect of acquiring multiple first-round picks in next week's draft. The Nuggets can offer the likes of forwards Kenneth Faried and Wilson Chandler along with the No. 11 pick next wek, but Golden State is uniquely position to send a former All-Star forward to Minnesota in Lee as well as one of the game's most feared perimeter marskmen in Thompson./p

The Wolves are resigned to dealing Love between now and next February's trade deadline, but many rival executives believe that the Wolves are grudgingly now prepared to move Kevin Garnett's successor as face of the franchise sooner rather than later to try to get as much for Love as they possibly can.

Information from ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard was used in this report.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:31 pm

As a Warriors fan, I am torn about this one. I really like Thompson, both individually and as a complement to Curry, but they're not going to get Love without giving up a lot, and on balance, I think the deal as described here would help the Warriors. We'll see if it happens, but it's hard to imagine that Minnesota could come up with a better deal unless they covet draft picks over players.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:38 pm

Outside,

In your opinion, what's more valuable to the Warriors as constructed, having Thompson or Love?

KJ

k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:42 pm

KJ,

The question is Love/Martin for Lee/Thompson.

I like Lee, but Love is a definite upgrade. Take what Lee does well -- score and rebound -- and Love does them better. The advantage Lee has is that you can use him to defend centers on occasion and he's a better post scorer. Love's 26 points and 12.5 rebounds beats Lee's 18 points and 9.5 rebounds.

Kevin Martin is something of a one-trick pony who has reached his ceiling. He has shown he can score consistently. He has a low release that reminds me of high school players that means he needs to be more open to get the shot off than someone with a higher release. He's not very effective defensively. He's had durability issues. During his limited playoff opportunities, he hasn't excelled but been more "meh."

There is a lot to like about Thompson. He's growing in confidence and ability as a scorer, and he can do more than just shoot from the outside. He has excellent size, and he has improved a lot as a defender. He's still young and subject to frustration sometimes, but he has the potential to be an all-star and is giving every indication that he can reach that level. He has benefited greatly by playing second fiddle to Curry, and I'm not sure how he would do as the featured scorer, but that isn't something he had to worry about on the Warriors.

Then there's how the trade would work in aggregate. It would make the Warriors even more potent offensively from the perimeter, but they might suffer a bit with post scoring, which is Lee's bread and butter. They wouldn't be as good defensively, though if Bogut can stay healthy and Festus Ezeli can return healthy, they have the defense at center that can make them much more effective. They'd miss the versatility of Thompson, but the productivity of both Love and Curry? That could just be "wow." It tips the scales for me in favor of doing the deal.

One additional concern I have is how getting Love would impact Draymond Green's minutes. He needs minutes. He's earned minutes. But while you could play him with Lee because of Lee's size and ability to play center, it would be very tough to play Green with Love.

I'd really hate losing Thompson, and I'm concerned about the situation with Green, but I'm in favor of doing the deal. Love's productivity is an exceedingly rare commodity.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:18 pm

Latest Rumor-Du-Jour, 6/21/14:

Lakers trying to get Klay Thompson from GSW for their #7 pick and GSW uses that pick as part of the package for Kevin Love.

Why can't Danny make the same offer?  We don't get Love, but it's not looking good now anyway, and we end up with Klay Thompson who is a fantastic talent and an abolute dead-eye shooter from anywhere.  A 6'7" SG.

But I'm not sure how this helps GSW or clarifies things for Minny?  If Flip Saunders is choosing GSW over Boston because they can offer better players, then how can a #7 pick be better than Klay Thompson?  And if Minny is liking the idea of a high draft pick, then isn't #6 better than #7?  Is Flip really so enamored with David Lee and Harrison Barnes that he'd rather have them than Kelly Olynyk plus whomever else Danny adds to the mix to make the numbers work?  I was pretty underwhelmed by Barnes last year, I don't know what Outside thinks, and Sully's current state of development is comparable to David Lee's and Lee is already finished growing as a player.

I'm thinking this is a bunch of noise being generated by the media and fostered by Flip who believes that chaos is his friend, but you never know.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:15 pm

bobheckler wrote:I'm thinking this is a bunch of noise being generated by the media and fostered by Flip who believes that chaos is his friend, but you never know.
I'm inclined to believe this scenario. Tim Kawakami of the Bay Area News Group interviewed Warriors GM Bob Myers, and this observation from Kawakami caught my eye (my bold for emphasis):

Not much to conclude from these 20 minutes other than what we already knew: The Warriors are having lots of discussions, they have players other teams want, but the Warriors absolutely want to avoid bidding against themselves in a hot trade market.

http://www.mercurynews.com/tim-kawakami/ci_26004262/kawakami-watch-warriors-bob-myers-dodge-weave-around

The Warriors are not desperate to do this deal, and there are worse things they could do than stand pat.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next