Boston Celtics Roster, Rumors, and Trade Updates: Cant the Celtics Succeed After Missing Out on Kevin Love?

3 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics Roster, Rumors, and Trade Updates: Cant the Celtics Succeed After Missing Out on Kevin Love? Empty Boston Celtics Roster, Rumors, and Trade Updates: Cant the Celtics Succeed After Missing Out on Kevin Love?

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:54 am

http://www.latinopost.com/articles/7476/20140809/boston-celtics-roster-rumors-and-trade-updates-how-do-the-boston-celtics-succeed-having-missed-out-on-kevin-love.htm

Boston Celtics Roster, Rumors, and Trade Updates: Cant the Celtics Succeed After Missing Out on Kevin Love?
Jose Serrano | staff@latinopost.comAug 09, 2014 09:47 PM EDT      

General Manager Danny Ainge's relatively quiet off season is marred by the move he didn't make.
The Boston Celtics are rebuilding; a phase esteemed franchises are slow to admit. Their biggest off season pickup was Evan Turner, the former Pacer who notoriously got in a fistfight with teammate Lance Stephenson before a first-round playoff series last spring. Indiana refused to extend an $8.7 million qualifying offer and the Celtics inexplicably pounced.

As dim as hopes were, Celtics fans prayed Kevin Love would be their savior. Last May, Love toured the city, met locals, and took in a Red Sox game. Never mind that he went straight to Cleveland right after, Love was Boston's chance at relativity.

Instead, the Timberwolves and Cavaliers agreed to a trade placing the All-Star forward alongside LeBron James and Kyrie Erving. Meanwhile, Boston is over the roster limit and can't seem to find any legitimate buyers. Even dangling Rajon Rondo in front of Minnesota wasn't enough to pull Love in.

Speculation surrounding a Rondo trade started well before Boston's abysmal season. Among the rumored proposals were one that would send Rondo to Sacramento in exchange for younger, cost effective players. They've even tried trading Brandon Bass and his expiring contract to no avail.

Paul George's season-ending injury makes Indiana a viable candidate for Rondo, as do the Houston Rockets who missed out on free agent targets Carmelo Anthony and Chris Bosh.

Ainge says he isn't actively shopping Rondo but Boston's salary cap situations says otherwise, marginally noted in a sign-and-trade deal that sent Kris Humphries to Washington for a conditional second-round pick and a $4.3 million trade exception.

Signing free agent guard Avery Bradley to a four-year, $32 million deal was their "big splash" this off season. First-round draft picks Marcus Smart and James Young are a year or two from becoming starters with Smart in a great position to learn from Rondo.

Jared Sullinger expects are more prevalent role going into 2014-15. He averaged 13.3 points, 8.1 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 74 games. Sullinger improved his all-around game by expanding beyond the arc to the tune of 26.9 percent from three-point land. He's not going to be Boston's go-to shooter, but has a lot of upside.

It's been a long time since Bradley's been healthy for a full season. If he can play beyond 60 games, Bradley can give the Celtics' solid defense on the perimeter. His three-point shooting has bounced around from 40.7 in 2011 to 31.7 in 2012 to 39.5 last year. Only time will tell if he can post similar number this time around.

The Celtics finished with a 25-57 record, their worst mark in seven years. Their glimmer of success isn't in reaching the playoffs this season, it's in using the $33 million coming off their books next summer wisely.

bob
MY NOTE:  I had never heard of the Latino Post before, so I thought I'd post a column from them.  Much of this is a recap of events we all know and statements of the obvious, although the idea of trading Paul George (pre-injury) for Rondo (the Pacers need a point guard) was a novel one.  Didn't hear or think of that one.  With Marcus Smart that trades makes more sense than it would have 3 months ago. Welcome to the Doldrums.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics Roster, Rumors, and Trade Updates: Cant the Celtics Succeed After Missing Out on Kevin Love? Empty Re: Boston Celtics Roster, Rumors, and Trade Updates: Cant the Celtics Succeed After Missing Out on Kevin Love?

Post by worcester Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:23 pm

Jose Serrano, as a former ESL teacher, I must point out a few things to you.

1. You must have meant to say that the Celtics acquiring Kevin Love would have made the team relevant, not relative.

2. The Celts did not inexplicably pounce on Evan Turner. The reasons why Danny acquired him have been well explained. Read this website more often for insight.

3. Since Isaac Asimov and Gene Roddenberry died, the world is sorely in need of science fiction writers. This might be a good niche for you since you've proven to be quite adept at writing sports fiction. I especially liked the fantasies about the Celts trading Rondo to Minny for Love and to Indy for Paul George. How creative of you!

4. Sully improved his overall game by going 26.9% from beyond the arc?
Again, this affirms my hopes for you as a science fiction writer.

5. Only time will tell if Avery can post similar numbers this time around.

worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics Roster, Rumors, and Trade Updates: Cant the Celtics Succeed After Missing Out on Kevin Love? Empty Re: Boston Celtics Roster, Rumors, and Trade Updates: Cant the Celtics Succeed After Missing Out on Kevin Love?

Post by Sam Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:50 pm

Worcester,

I was going to trash this guy, but I didn't for two reasons:

1. It's boring enough to have to read the same old "woe is us" stuff without having to summon the energy to respond with cannonades.

2. You did a more than ample job.

Thanks,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:38 pm

It was my pleasure to do so.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down