Jay Larranaga Odds On Favorite to Replace Ron Adams As Top Assistant

Go down

Jay Larranaga Odds On Favorite to Replace Ron Adams As Top Assistant Empty Jay Larranaga Odds On Favorite to Replace Ron Adams As Top Assistant

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:14 pm

The Boston Celtics are leaning toward promoting Jay Larranaga to replace Ron Adams as the team's top assistant coach, according to the Boston Herald's Mark Murphy. Adams accepted an offer to join Steve Kerr's Golden State Warriors staff over the weekend.

Larranaga has spent two years on the Celtics bench after two as head coach of the D-League's Erie Bayhawks.

Assuming the Celtics want to add another assistant, they could theoretically complete Brad Stevens' staff without making a hire from the outside. Darren Erman, recently brought back to Boston as director of NBA scouting, holds prior assistant coaching experience with the Warriors and would bring a wealth of basketball knowledge to the sidelines.

bob
MY NOTE:  I'm ok with Larranaga's promotion, but I would prefer someone other than Erman for the last slot.  We need a big man coach and we need a shooting coach, maybe NOT in that order.  Unless Erman can fill either of those roles well, then I say 'pass'.  Clifford Ray's available, btw, as is Cowens.  As far as shooting coaches go, I think Mark Price is available.  He worked with Rondo one off-season and we saw some improvement.  Rick Barry is 70, probably not looking for a full-time job, but he could hold a few clinics.  Good luck trying to get Rondo or anybody else to shoot free throws underhand though.  Not macho enough for them.  He averaged 89.3% from the line, career.  89.3%, Rondo, 89.3%.  Think your ego could handle that?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down