Source: Celtics interested in No. 1 pick

+2
Sam
6 posters

Go down

Source: Celtics interested in No. 1 pick Empty Source: Celtics interested in No. 1 pick

Post by 112288 Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:28 pm

CSNE

A. SHERROD BLAKLEY

BOSTON — The Boston Celtics continue to look at all options leading up to the NBA draft which includes landing the No. 1 overall pick.

A league source has told CSNNE.com that the Celtics have engaged the Cleveland Cavaliers about acquiring the No. 1 overall pick in Thursday's NBA draft.

While no deal is imminent, Boston's pursuit of the top overall pick speaks to their desire to indeed create "fireworks" in a draft that took a step back in terms of luster at the top following the navicular bone fracture to Joel Embiid's right foot.

If the Celtics were able to secure the top overall pick, they are expected to choose between Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker, arguably the top two players in this draft although multiple sources indicate Boston would lean more towards Wiggins than Parker.

Cleveland has been listening to offers for the No. 1 overall pick for weeks, but most anticipated the Cavaliers keeping it until the news broke of Embiid's foot injury which will keep him sidelined for at least four months.

The Cavaliers have not come out publicly to say that they will not draft Embiid, but all indications are that Cleveland will in fact take a pass on the 7-foot big man.

Boston, currently the holder of the No. 6 and No. 17 picks, is interested in Embiid and would consider moving up to acquire him if they were to see his most recent medical reports and the Celtics' doctors believe that, based on that additional information, he's worth the risk.

But if the Celtics were to acquire the draft's top pick, it's unlikely they would use it to select Embiid who prior to the injury was seen by most as the most likely first player chosen.

Back to top Go down

Source: Celtics interested in No. 1 pick Empty Re: Source: Celtics interested in No. 1 pick

Post by Sam Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:43 pm

Okay, 112288, you're on the spot.  The selection clock is winding down, and you have to pick either Parker or Wiggins or lose both of them.  Who's your guy and why?

I like Wiggins' defensive potential better, but I like Parker's heft at the SF spot.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Source: Celtics interested in No. 1 pick Empty Re: Source: Celtics interested in No. 1 pick

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:59 pm

A. Sherrod does it again.

He tells us Boston is interested in the top pick and then says "while no deal is imminent."

Well, sure, everyone is interested in the top pick.  But do we have what Cleveland would want?  Give us some indication of that before causing me to nearly wet myself.

I don't think there's any way it's ever going to happen, but I'd give them anything and everything they want not named Rondo, throw in Danny's car and the Patriots picks for the next decade too, and then draft Parker.  Parker and Rondo on the floor together?   Maybe get some Depends just in case...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:33 am

NYCelt,

I'm afraid A. Sherrod is pretty much of a gas bag.  Mr. Trite!

While ever-so-briefly on the subject, so your pick between Parker and Wiggins would be Parker.  What's your take on his defensive potential?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:42 am

I saw a report somewhere that quoted a "league source" saying Danny has contacted all 5 teams ahead of him to see about moving up.  So Blakely may not be wrong so much as incomplete.  Danny is looking at 1-5, not just 1.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:15 am

Sam,

OK I take Wiggins but not why most people believe.  Parker I understand has a foot problem and that scares me. Wiggins by default because I understand from the NBA channel last night, Wiggins was shut down by a good defensive  player in a playoff game last year and did not do very well overall in other games. I guess drafting him also fills the small forward position that we lost when trading Pierce.

I like Randle and I like Vonleh as well.  I do see us trading Sully if we get an athletic power forward in the draft that shows ability early in the season.  Sully is tough and has shown he can be a good NBA player with soft hands, but he is slow and plays below the rim and the NBA is moving to more to athleticism and athletic players.

Besides, Sully contract is low and would be very attractive to a team rebuilding and could be one of the players needed to get Love or another star player in a trade.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:50 am

I'd long envisioned Jabari as a Celtic but gave up on that dream when we wound up with the #6 pick. Who knows? Maybe Danny would work some magic.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:18 am

The Celtics pick will tell the tale with Rondo.  If the Celtics select Smart that tells me the Love deal is dead and could not be made and Danny will begin to shop Rondo perhaps as the draft is going on.  If we select a power forward, it may also signal that Sully could be moved later on in another trade, perhaps for a center.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:22 am

And, all the while, Danny will probably be singing the "best Available Player Anthem," which I believe is a crock most of the time.

Thanks for your responses 112288.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:42 pm

sam wrote:NYCelt,

I'm afraid A. Sherrod is pretty much of a gas bag.  Mr. Trite!

While ever-so-briefly on the subject, so your pick between Parker and Wiggins would be Parker.  What's your take on his defensive potential?

Sam

Sam,

I think Parker will be a very good-to-outstanding all-around defender in the NBA.  One of the faults I see in the reporting by so many draftniks is that they magnify what are sometimes one-time events.  I've seen a few draft wizards express concern about Parker's defense out on the perimeter.  That I can tell, this appears to stem from one game where he did get beat out there and a total team bomb by Duke in the tourney.  Every game I watched, including the game vs. UNC in person, he was more often the very definition of shutdown.

I also have read opinions that he could play power forward in the NBA, but I think he's the ultimate small forward.  I think the misconception comes from the fact that he literally had no position for Duke.  Coach K promised he never would have a defined position and stuck to it.  Parker handled everything from the opening tip to locking down the opposition's point or hot hand.

This is the guy you build your team around.  For familiar comparisons sake, I think this is a small-forward that will be superior to Paul Pierce at both ends of the court.  Sadly, this is also a player we have no chance at.

If not for Parker, his teammate, Duke's Rodney Hood, would be the big demand player along with Wiggins at SF.  I would go as far as to give some consideration to taking Hood at 6 if Smart is gone, and using Green in a package with other players and picks to go looking for that center you mentioned might be sort of nice to have. Rondo and Hood in green might grow to be all-NBA, Rondo and Parker...(insert resigned to the inevitable impossibility type sigh)...all-world.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:50 pm

NYCelt,

I'd like to see Parker's girth and height pitted against Lebron and Carmelo.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:55 pm

sam wrote:NYCelt,

I'd like to see Parker's girth and height pitted against Lebron and Carmelo.

Sam

That would be something to see.

Given recent events, I wonder just a bit if that might end up being against LeBron and Carmelo playing as teammates.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:40 pm

Could Parker defend both of them simultaneously?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:51 pm

The only negative that I have heard about Parker is that he will have a hard time guarding SF's out on the perimeter. Supposedly, he is more of a PF on defense and a SF on offense.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down