Wyc Grousbeck After Smart Pick: "Trade Season is Not Over Yet"

+2
Sam
6 posters

Go down

Wyc Grousbeck After Smart Pick: "Trade Season is Not Over Yet" Empty Wyc Grousbeck After Smart Pick: "Trade Season is Not Over Yet"

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:30 pm

BOSTON.COM
Brian Robb

Boston.com Correspondent

BOSTON --- Boston Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck held court with the media after the Celtics selected Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart with the no. 6 pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.

There was plenty of speculation prior to the draft that the Celtics would try to move the lottery pick as part of a bigger trade package, but Grousbeck said a major deal was not in the cards for the time being.

“We wanted to stay at six or move up,” Grousbeck said. “We wanted to make trades in recent days, we have been on the phone quite a bit with other teams about other ideas. Nothing ever seemed close to fruition no matter how hard we tried.”

Despite the lack of a major move by the team Thursday night, Grousbeck indicated that it was not a sign the Celtics would be slowing down in their attempts to significantly improve the roster this summer.

“I remember trading for Kevin Garnett in 2007,” Grousbeck said. “I got a phone call about that from Minnesota on July 30th or 31st so trade season is not over yet.”

Grousbeck continued: “I always said fireworks was a possibility [this offseason]. It takes two [teams] to tango around here. There just hasn’t been too much [trade] movement tonight. Typically on draft night, we make at least two or three trades. That’s how we roll. It’s had great effect for us. We like to be aggressive about rebuilding this team and we like to try to become contenders again as quickly as possible. We will keep working the phones, but it takes two partners to make a trade.”

Back to top Go down

Wyc Grousbeck After Smart Pick: "Trade Season is Not Over Yet" Empty Re: Wyc Grousbeck After Smart Pick: "Trade Season is Not Over Yet"

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Sounds like Wyc is trying to sell tickets.

Back to top Go down

Wyc Grousbeck After Smart Pick: "Trade Season is Not Over Yet" Empty Re: Wyc Grousbeck After Smart Pick: "Trade Season is Not Over Yet"

Post by Sam Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:23 am

Something had better sell tickets.  I don't believe the draft results will have more than a ripple of impact.  I believe Danny will balance the roster before the end of the summer with reinforcements at center and small forward in particular.  The question I have is how solid those reinforcements will be and whether they'll be the kinds of veterans who can exert some leadership.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:37 am

I agree with both of you. There is something sad about Wyc's boosterism, which I interpret as "stay tuned, this program is going to improve after the commercial." Certainly not aimed at the diehard fan, it rings hollow and disingenuous (which is not how I view Wyc). Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:50 am

Hey Hawk, I looked up "Hawks Nest Beach" and found a reference to Old Lyme, CT.  Do you live in that area?  Not nosy, just curious.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:00 pm

Well, this IS a business after all...

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:39 pm

I don't see anything wrong with Wyc's statement. It shows the type of attitude they need to have to improve.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:14 pm

Sam, I've been lucky enough to vacation periodically at HNB since the late 50s, when my parents took us there and I've been taking my own kids there for several years now. The beach sits on the eastern edge of Long Island Sound within sight of Long and Block islands. I understand you live on the Cape, and I know that sandy crescent pretty well too, as my father ran a motel in South Yarmouth for years before retiring to Florida. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:22 pm

It wasn't by any chance the Red Jacket was it?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Outside wrote:I don't see anything wrong with Wyc's statement. It shows the type of attitude they need to have to improve.

I agree..
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:02 am

Flip may be playing hardball now, but the ice is melting under his feet the longer he waits. If he is unable to get a deal done by October 1, he will get a fraction of what he has been offered now come trading deadline.

Despite what people are saying, the Celtics offer was a good one and I think Danny can cobble together a good package for Flip to Flip Love.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:49 am

Sam, Cap'n Gladcliff when he had it; the Parco Motel before that, and condos now. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down