Guess who is coming back to Boston?

+3
bobheckler
beat
RosalieTCeltics
7 posters

Go down

Guess who is coming back to Boston? Empty Guess who is coming back to Boston?

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:22 pm

http://www.csnne.com/mobile/boston-celtics/exclusive-brian-scalabrine-coming-home
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Guess who is coming back to Boston? Empty Re: Guess who is coming back to Boston?

Post by beat Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:36 pm

Gather Tommy is taking aback seat or will he be done?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Guess who is coming back to Boston? Empty Re: Guess who is coming back to Boston?

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:45 pm

Not much has been said, I guess Wojo said something today about Scal coming back to Boston, Tommy is 80 years old, so he has got to be getting to the point where he wants to sit back, paint and watch the team. He does not travel with them any more, Hopefully Cowens will stay involved with the team in some way, he was enjoyable to listen to when he was on. 

It was hard listening to PJ Carlisemo at times, but he is such a smart guy. I read where he wanted to get back into coaching, I do not know if anyone hired him. 

Watching the Celtics last year was a little boring at times, they kept switching on and off with different people, I do wonder if Herren will be involved with the team also.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:55 pm

The Return of the White Mamba!

Here's an excerpt:

But this is not about the roster or the organization. Thinking twice about it, it really is about the organization. Does it get any better than the Celtics? I feel my calling here goes above basketball - get it...calling... double meaning?They call that a pun. I have a responsibility to lead, in more ways than one, and I take that very seriously. I want kids in Boston, like the hundreds of elementary school kids who have red hair and no chance of making the NBA, to realize that there's no better place to grow up. Maybe some of them will come home after college and work at a bank or even better run a private equity fund. I have no idea what exactly they do besides just print money. My kids better get into private equity, even amongst the myriad of financial constraints that the government has put on us since we hung that 17th banner in 2008. That would make me smile. Our community, which has struggled. Well, not really. Winning eight championships since 2000 isn't much of a struggle, and I guess the Sox won last year. I should have known that ... where was I? Oh yeah, I want to bring another championship back to Boston. Really, I just want to ride in another championship parade and smoke an overpriced Cuban cigar as a tribute to Red after we hang banner number 18.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:28 pm

Guess who is coming back to Boston? BuN2mLaCUAAuvpd

I hope there's room for Chris Herren. I thought his commentary was excellent.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:48 pm

He said,

I looked at other teams, but I wasn’t going to leave Oakland for anywhere except Boston…or maybe Chicago…or maybe Brooklyn…or possibly Los Angeles to go back with Doc. The more time passed, the more it felt right. This is what makes me happy.

Sounds like:

Coaching at the D-league sucks.  No doubt about it.  I ain't going back there.

As more time passed, Chicago didn't call, neither did Brooklyn, or LA, or anyone else for that matter.  I guess I'll take Boston's offer and go back to being a broadcaster.

I wanna be a coach!!

Oh wait, try not to sound sad about this.

gyso

PS: Welcome back Scal, you never should have left.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:51 pm

Ever since Scal joined the Celtics, he has been special.  Not in a traditional way but in a way many just cannot understand.  He never dominated much of anything as a player, except when subbing for KG during one memorable stint.  And yet he excelled in all the supportive elements of the game—the picks, the hedgine, the floor spacing, the tight defense and anticipatory switches, the ball movement, and the grit.  The things the casual fan wouldn't have a prayer of appreciating.

And because of that, he was always underappreciated.  Even those who would yell for his presence in a game were really mocking him.  He was sort of the Connor Henry of his time—the modern day version of a gladiator being fed to the lions for the pleasure of spectators who battled their insecurities by playing the vicarious game of thumbs up or thumbs down.

And now it appears he is returning to the same arena where he was cheered and vilified in the same breath—just one rung on the ladder above Gino, the dancing monkey.  But this time, he seems to have the ring of authority in his utterances.  He's been through it all and he's far more sure of himself and his direction in life.

And what it all boils down to, when all is said and done, is that Brian Scalabrine knows only one way to play basketball and live live—to do his level best.  And odds are that he'll apply that credo to broadcasting, which will continue to enrich our lives as Tommy has done for so long.

A very special welcome back, Scal.  All the best in your future endeavors.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:56 am

Hi,
IMHO, Scal's going to be a very good color man. He showed glimpses of that the first time around. I hope he'll continue Tommy's tradition of not only looking at a game through green colored glasses but explaining what's going on and educating audience.
Good for him to take his talents to Boston Gahden  king 

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:15 am

Scal's essay was really a wonderful Jonathan Swift-esque satire of Lebron's SI article.

One unmentioned aspect of his game which I hope Brad gets these young Celtics to emulate was how quickly he inbounded the ball after a made basket, preventing the other team from getting set in its defense and facilitating our own fast break. Smart player. Smart man.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:34 pm

Good point, W.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down