Go down

#44 For Zeller Empty #44 For Zeller

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:44 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4714255/no-44-for-zeller

No. 44 for Zeller
August, 6, 2014
AUG 6 11:11 PM ET
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

Recently acquired center Tyler Zeller visited Boston last week and a recent update to the Celtics' online roster suggests he elected to wear No. 44 next season.

#44 For Zeller AJsZVnH
Basketball Reference
A glance at the history of No. 44 in Boston via Basketball Reference.

Zeller wore No. 40 in Cleveland, and that's the same digit his brothers, Luke and Cody, have worn at the NBA level. Zeller appears to be returning to his more familiar collegiate number (his uncle, Al Eberhard, also wore No. 44 during four NBA seasons with Detroit).

Jersey No. 44 was last worn by Chris Wilcox, but it has some lofty history in the likes of fan favorite Brian Scalabrine and president of basketball operations Danny Ainge.

The Celtics' official website posted a phone interview with Zeller on Wednesday in which he joked that the trade, which delivered him from Cleveland just a few days before his offseason nuptials, was "definitely a good wedding present."

Zeller talked about bringing some much-needed size to Boston's roster while saying he hopes to bulk up a bit in hopes of being able to bang at the center position, yet still maintaing an ability to run the floor.

The 24-year-old big man also raved about coach Brad Stevens, who is quite familiar with the Zeller family after recruiting Tyler's brothers during his time at Butler University. Said Tyler Zeller: "What he did at Butler -- and just how much I've heard from him and my brother and how great of a guy he is -- I really look forward to playing for him. I know that he's going to be a great coach for me."

bob
MY NOTE: Nice to see he's bulking up. How he applies that bulk, though, is the part I'll be watching.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

#44 For Zeller Empty Re: #44 For Zeller

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:59 pm

I am very anxious to see the progress of Kelly O. I truly feel this kid is going to be a keeper. He is smart, plays hard, and toward the end of last season was playing with confidence. He has a good shot, and is not afraid to take it to the basket, even at his size. Sully is another player who should show more improvement this year. 

To have a young guy, willing to do what he has to do to improve, it is refreshing. I have no illusions here, but here is hoping that we are all pleasantly surprised. 

I am waiting for the day when DA retires, that Wyc puts that number up in the rafters. He has more than paid his dues here in Boston. Red would be proud.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:52 pm

#44 has been worn by three Celtics who were among the smartest basketball players ever to don a uniform: Westphal, Aings and Scal.  I hope that legacy is passed on the Zeller.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down