To Protest US Sanctions, Prokhorov Wants To Move Team Control Of Nets To Russia

+3
RosalieTCeltics
Sloopjohnb
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

To Protest US Sanctions, Prokhorov Wants To Move Team Control Of Nets To Russia Empty To Protest US Sanctions, Prokhorov Wants To Move Team Control Of Nets To Russia

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:27 pm

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/brooklyn-nets-owner-wants-move-team-control-russia-protest-u-s-sanctions/

To protest U.S. sanctions, Brooklyn Nets owner wants to move team control to Russia

BY JAYWON CHOE  March 25, 2014 at 2:25 PM EDT

To Protest US Sanctions, Prokhorov Wants To Move Team Control Of Nets To Russia 6566557009_d78f232ab5_b
Russian billionaire and owner of the Brooklyn Nets, Mikhail Prokhorov, on Dec. 24, 2011. Photo by Sergey Rodovnichenko/ Flickr

Russian billionaire and owner of the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets, Mikhail Prokhorov, said he plans to relocate the company that owns the basketball team to Russia, as a way to push back against sanctions being placed on his country.

In Moscow Monday, Prokhorov said he is heeding the call of Russian President Vladimir Putin to repatriate businesses and assets to Russia, as a way to protect them against international sanctions.

In recent weeks, the U.S. and its western allies have imposed strict travel bans and frozen the assets of several Russian businessmen with close ties to Putin, in response to the annexation of Crimea.

While Prokhorov is not one of those yet hit by sanctions, he still pledged to do what he could to support Putin. Speaking to reporters before he received a medal for service from Putin, Prokhorov said, “This [move] does not violate any NBA rules, and I will bring it [under Russian jurisdiction] in accordance with Russian law.”

Though correct, there are still several of steps that first need to be taken before such a transfer could actually take place. According to NBA rules, any ownership change must be approved by the league and by at least 23 of the 30 team owners.

For perspective on how long a process this can be, it took eight months for the league to approve the initial sale of the Nets to Prokhorov in 2010.

Moreover, a spokesman for the NBA said it has yet to receive any formal request from Prokhorov about changing the team’s ownership structure.

“The Nets are owned by Mikhail Prokhorov through a U.S.-based company,” a statement read. “We have received no official application nor is there a process underway through our office to transfer the ownership of the Nets to another company.”

bob
MY NOTE:  Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas.  Push, pushback, now there needs to be another push.  Nets fans should boycott the Nets.  Yeah, I know, "fat chance" but at some point shouldn't we put loyalty to country over loyalty to our individual self-centered pleasures?  Ah, who am I kidding?  We've become an entire country of ME-ballers.  Sorry, I forgot to take my 'happy pills that make me fart steamed vanilla soymilk' today...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

To Protest US Sanctions, Prokhorov Wants To Move Team Control Of Nets To Russia Empty Re: To Protest US Sanctions, Prokhorov Wants To Move Team Control Of Nets To Russia

Post by Sloopjohnb Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:39 pm

Anything that increases the chances that the Nets will be a franchise in chaos I'd be down with.

How many Nets first rounders do the Celtics have?

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

To Protest US Sanctions, Prokhorov Wants To Move Team Control Of Nets To Russia Empty Re: To Protest US Sanctions, Prokhorov Wants To Move Team Control Of Nets To Russia

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:51 pm

Sloopjohnb wrote:Anything that increases the chances that the Nets will be a franchise in chaos I'd be down with.

How many Nets first rounders do the Celtics have?

sloop,

Two more, 2016 and 2018.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:22 pm

It was just a matter of time where this guy and his allegiance came forward. Go ahead, move the team (in name only). How many players will go with you????????

This guy is another Sterling, should never have been approved as a buyer of a franchise. Money is the root of all evil. That is why he owns a team.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:04 pm

What an idiot...

I have no idea how else to describe this.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:36 pm

To give him the benefit of the doubt, he may need to say something like this in order to prove his loyalty to Putin and protect his business interests in Russia. It wouldn't surprise me if he's under pressure in Russia to say something like this. It makes absolutely no sense to actually do it, and from everything I've read, Prokhorov is a smart guy, and I doubt he has any intention of following through.

If he actually believes it and intends to do it, well, then I'm with KJ.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:17 pm

Just an interesting thought.. bob asks whether we should put.loyalty to country above selfish pleasures...

Then Rosalie says it was just a matter of time before his.allegiance.came forward.

What outside said may be true... mebbe the guy is doing what he must to save his fortunes in Rusia...

Or mebbe he is just showing loyalty to his country..

Which is worse, to pUT selfishness above national loyalty or to be loyal to one's country even when ones country is completely in the wrong?

I'm so glad I don't worry about such things.. there's too little time as it is for basketball.. drinking and all the other important things in life..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:33 pm

Touché' my friend, maybe you are right there!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:06 pm

I dunno...

I just saw two interesting perspectives sorta colliding.. I'm prolly gonna wonder about it all this weekend...
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:17 pm

Tough luck, suckah!  If you're prattling a party line, that's your problem.  Somehow I feel sorrier from people in the Crimea than I feel for you.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down