Summer Quandaries: Phil Pressey Near Ideal Third String PG

2 posters

Go down

Summer Quandaries:  Phil Pressey Near Ideal Third String PG  Empty Summer Quandaries: Phil Pressey Near Ideal Third String PG

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:15 am

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2014/09/sq14-39-phil-pressey-near-ideal-third.html

Summer Quandaries:  Phil Pressey Near Ideal Third String PG  YinYangBasketballgreenSQ

After the starters (Rondo, Bradley, Green--assuming that you do agree on those three), the rank order and suitability of the second and third teamer’s seem much less clear.  The exception is Phil Pressey.  His is, I think, an ideal third string point guard.

Marcus Smart, if he earns it, will be the backup for Rondo.  Even so, if he stumbles, or just needs some in-game instruction, enter Pressey who has already shown the smarts, ball-handling, and passing to run an offense.  True, his outside shot has been suspect, but then so has Smart’s, and Rondo’s for that matter.  He won’t get any taller but he will get better about judging whether he will be able to fire that pass between the dot and the “i” it is dotting.  Phil’s year of experience makes him a tried and true, if somewhat limited, reserve quarterback that Stevens will be able to play with few qualms.  If indeed (despite my hopes otherwise) Rondo is moved and no point guard is returned, then Pressey will be an able backup to Smart (who would, I assume, have shown he is ready to OJT the starting position).

The fact that Pressey is an adequate sub who won’t make waves provides almost the perfect environment for Smart to get his feet wet.  Phil is one role player for whom the coach need not worry about histrionics, or pouting over his place in the pecking order, or over playing time.  He’ll be ready when called upon, something that I suspect will be true for his entire career.  You want your number two man to be an up-and-comer who will push the starter for playing time, if not for his starting position.  Behind these it makes good sense to have a career role player who is solid, energetic, and enthusiastic, even if with limited upside.

Pressey is an above average ball handler and passer.  He is an adequate defender (if not posted up).  He is a below average shooter and does not have the length or strength to finish well at the rim, at least not in traffic.  His height will always be a limiting factor but his other skills ensure that his fill-in play will seldom hurt the team.  Of course, he may improve his 3-point shot and fool us all.

Only 25 more days until training camp.

bob
MY NOTE:  3rd string?  I think Phil could be better than that.  With all due respect to Marcus Smart, he hasn't laced up an NBA sneaker yet, much less notch a double-digit assist game like Pressey has.  Phil has his limitations, but being an effective floor general doesn't seem to be one of them.  In fact, I could see Smart chasing Phil for minutes at PG if the offense bogs down in half court sets a lot.  Phil will rocket up and down the court like he has a jet engine strapped to his back.  And as far as getting posted up goes, I kept wondering last year why Phil wasn't getting posted up more often.  Regardless, after a year of a converted SG, Crawford, starting at PG and rookie Phil Pressey working his way into the rotation, we are now pretty set at PG with Rondo back, Phil with a full year of experience under his belt and a high-quality rookie in Smart.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Summer Quandaries:  Phil Pressey Near Ideal Third String PG  Empty Re: Summer Quandaries: Phil Pressey Near Ideal Third String PG

Post by Sam Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Just in the last day or two, I posted that I enjoyed Phil's passing game more than Rondo's. Not because it's more precise or even more effective but because Phil can deliver accurate and timely passes on the run while Rondo doesn't seem predisposed to doing that except in certain fast break circumstances. I therefore wonder which of the two would fare better in a true motion offense, and I'll leave it to others to make predictions. Of course, I'm talking only about passing and not strategizing, shooting, defense, or other duties of a floor general.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down