Mahcus Smaht Might Start First Pre-Season Game

4 posters

Go down

Mahcus Smaht Might Start First Pre-Season Game Empty Mahcus Smaht Might Start First Pre-Season Game

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:45 pm

Marcus Smart may start first preseason game for Boston Celtics
By Jeff Clark  @celticsblog on Oct 5 2014, 1:43p 4

Mahcus Smaht Might Start First Pre-Season Game 20140929_mje_sv3_439.jpg.0_standard_709.0
David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports
The rookie takes center stage.

It sounds like Marcus Smart has impressed the coaching staff enough to be the day one starter.  He just has to be healthy enough to take advantage.

Marcus Smart could start preseason opener if healthy: A list of Boston Celtics injury updates | masslive.com

The Boston Celtics rookie will miss Sunday’s practice with a strained groin, but could still start Monday night against Philadelphia at the TD Garden. Head coach Brad Stevens called Smart "between questionable and probable, however you want to say it." "I’ll either start Marcus, if he’s available, or I’ll start Evan there," Stevens said. "And Phil (Pressey) will be the backup."

I think you've got your depth chart (for now) right there.  While Rondo is out, Smart is the starter, with Evan Turner backing him up and Phil Pressey getting time as well.

bob
MY NOTE:  Certainly too early to etch this in stone, but Stevens has been very open about how he's looking for 8-10 players as the "core" and those players will be getting most of the reps in pre-season.  If Pressey is 3rd behind Turner and/or a less-than-100% Smart then that should suggest something.  What it might suggest, though, is that Stevens would like to find out early if Turner and Smart can even handle point.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Mahcus Smaht Might Start First Pre-Season Game Empty Re: Mahcus Smaht Might Start First Pre-Season Game

Post by Outside Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:58 pm

bobheckler wrote:What it might suggest, though, is that Stevens would like to find out early if Turner and Smart can even handle point.
Bingo.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Mahcus Smaht Might Start First Pre-Season Game Empty Re: Mahcus Smaht Might Start First Pre-Season Game

Post by Sam Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:23 pm

I don't believe they'll start Smart because he has impressed them so much, at least based on what I've read so far. The fact is that they pretty much know what they have in Pressey (although his shooting might surprise them somewhat), and they need to find out—sooner rather than later—what they have in Smart and Turner at the "1" position.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:56 pm

Would I be wrong for saying as of right now, I'm more partial to Pressey playing the point behind Rondo?

Smart needs to be evaluated, but it will take him some time to adjust to the NBA flow. Early on in the season, it'll be interesting to see how often he's thrown out there.

I understand Turner's play style, and while it presents some interesting advantages in terms of versatility, it also is a troublesome prospect that he doesn't play well without the ball. As much grief as there has been about Rondo handling the ball for too long, I'd rather it be him than Turner.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:55 am

I'm in complete agreement, KJ. Right now, giving a rookie repetitions should rank second to getting the entire team off to a good start with team balance and the pace Brad wants. There will be time to ease Smart into the rotation; but it would be best for him if the team is operating with a reasonable degree of efficiency by then to give him the best possible setting in which to acclimate to the pro game.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down