Celtics Benefit From Turner Multi-Tasking

+2
Sam
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Celtics Benefit From Turner Multi-Tasking Empty Celtics Benefit From Turner Multi-Tasking

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:27 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2014/10/celtics_benefit_by_evan_turner_multi_tasking

Celtics benefit by Evan Turner multi-tasking

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 PrintEmailComments
By:  Mark Murphy

He was the No. 2 pick in the 2010 NBA draft, and at his best Evan Turner has made that distinction sparkle.

More often, though, Turner’s draft status has been used against him. He never settled into a comfortable role in Philadelphia. And when the Sixers traded him to Indiana last spring, Turner got lost in the NBA’s most public soap opera.

He returned to the floor with the Celtics in last night’s 98-78 exhibition win over his former Philadelphia team, and Turner didn’t have time for the old stigma.

“Right now, I just want to earn my minutes, baby,” he said. “Other than that, it’s a lot of stuff I keep to myself and maybe I’ll write it in an autobiography.”

Well, not really. That so-called “stuff” has a lot to do with not finding his way to this point in the greatest basketball league on earth. The Sixers, mired in a rebuild that’s even further down the standings than the Celtics, weren’t a good fit. Neither was Indiana.

Turner, who led the Celtics with an impressive showing of 15 points, 10 rebounds and six assists last night, is hoping for a clearer plan under coach Brad Stevens. A very early sample tells him that he’s in the right place.

“To a certain extent for sure, because when I played my first few years in Philadelphia we had unique players like Jrue Holiday and Andre Iguodala,” said Turner. “There wasn’t much room for us all to do the same thing. Obviously there’s a big plan here, and in the end it’s going to pay off pretty well. I just think this is making the most out of my talents. Sometimes I’ve tried to go as an off-the-ball player, but I don’t think anyone is a genius if they put me in a corner and try to make me a catch-and-shoot 3-point shooter. Here they just play into each player’s strength and that’s about it.”

Turner’s strength doesn’t involve one position, though he is playing his heaviest dose of point guard since his senior year at Ohio State.

Last night, he replaced the ailing Jeff Green (calf) in the starting lineup at small forward, but with the exception of rookie Marcus Smart, spent the most time of any Celtic at point guard.

Versatility will earn Turner a lot of minutes this season. Though Stevens plans to use Turner in as many places as the coaching staffs in Philadelphia and Indiana, the swingman senses a more structured approach as a Celtic.

“Coach has helped me preparing,” said Turner. “Sometimes in the past, it’s been more, hey, go play the one randomly. You have to have a rhythm for it. As the days have come I’ve slowed down. I had a great practice (Sunday), and it felt pretty easy.”

Turner also didn’t play well during the intra-squad scrimmage last Friday in front of season ticket holders. He immediately parked in front of a video screen the next morning.

“He watches more film than any player I know,” said Stevens.

Turner nodded.

“My high-school coach really prepared me and in college we did the exact same thing,” said Turner. “Other point guards watch tons of film, and Peyton Manning and people like that watch tons of film. I just want to be as prepared as possible.

“Rondo has helped me a lot with my pace and stuff, and he’s told me what he’s seen. They’ve told me to slow down and let the game come to me, and just hit singles. Coach told me just to hit singles and your talent is going to take over.”

If Stevens is correct, that blossoming will take place as a point guard to small forward.

“That’s who he is, and that’s who he’s got to be,” said Stevens. “He’s been pretty good in practice. He was not as good in the scrimmage the other night and I think he was pretty hard on himself. But yesterday was his best practice, and he followed it up with a very good game tonight.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Benefit From Turner Multi-Tasking Empty Re: Celtics Benefit From Turner Multi-Tasking

Post by Sam Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:37 pm

I believe there's no good reason why Turner cannot equal or even exceed what he did last night on a regular basis. He apparently needs a certain mind set to give maximum effort, and there's every possibility that Brad knows the key to that mind set.

There's one thing in particular I like about his type of player. No matter whether his outside shot is sizzling or taking a night off, he can always slash his way to making significant contributions. Over time, defenders will try all sorts of adjustment to stymie him. Whether Evan and Brad, between them, can concoct potent counter measures will be interesting to watch. Perhaps last night was an aberration, but I doubt it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Celtics Benefit From Turner Multi-Tasking Empty Re: Celtics Benefit From Turner Multi-Tasking

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:35 pm

I agree Sam, I think Turner has more skills as a swingman than Jeff Green, he is a more complete swingman. He can obviously play the point and 2 better than Jeff, as has been noted by many Jeff is not a good ball handler. His passing stats show hes never been good at initiating the offense, Turner because he has better handle and passing skills can play the SF better, as the great SF/swingmen Lebron, Pierce in his heyday, T-Mac, Durant, Melo, Kobe, and all have some level of initiating the offense for themselves and others....Green has never shown this type of all around game.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:38 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:I agree Sam, I think Turner has more skills as a swingman than Jeff Green, he is a more complete swingman. He can obviously play the point and 2 better than Jeff, as has been noted by many Jeff is not a good ball handler. His passing stats show hes never been good at initiating the offense, Turner because he has better handle and passing skills can play the SF better, as the great SF/swingmen Lebron, Pierce in his heyday, T-Mac, Durant, Melo, Kobe,  and all have some level of initiating the offense for themselves and others....Green has never shown this type of all around game.

cow,

On the other hand, there is no evidence Evan Turner is willing to do anything without the ball.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:49 pm

Cow,

Jeff and Evan have two different styles. Evan needs the ball in his hands, whereas Jeff can play off the ball. The Celtics need players in both of these categories.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:57 pm

Another piece on Turner, figured it could fit here.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/turners-lesson-learned-singles-over-home-runs

Turner's Lesson Learned: Singles Over Home Runs

Posted: Oct 07, 2014

By Marc D'Amico | @Marc_DAmico
Celtics.com
October 7, 2014

BOSTON – Evan Turner has learned one great lesson since joining the Boston Celtics: do not worry about slugging percentages.

The fifth-year swingman looked poised and comfortable Monday night while leading his new team, the C’s, to a 98-78 win over his old team, the Sixers. Turner says a conversation with Brad Stevens led to his cool, calm and collected demeanor in the preseason opener.

“We spoke a couple of days ago and coach was like, ‘Just hit singles and your talent’s going to take over. Just take it one step at a time and [don’t do anything] too complicated. Eventually your talent is going to take over,’” Turner recalled. “And that’s what I did.”

Talk about a successful plan of attack.

Turner was the basketball version of a dynamic leadoff hitter Monday night. He slapped singles to all fields, stole bases to set up his teammates, and crossed home plate to put his team in position to win. He was fantastic.

No one on Boston’s roster scored more points than Turner’s 15. No one in the game dished out more assists than his six. Only one player, Jared Sullinger, grabbed more rebounds than Turner’s 10.

He was a multifaceted threat, one that Stevens wants to see on a regular basis.

“That’s who he is,” Stevens said, answering a question pertaining to Turner’s versatility. “And that’s who he’s got to be.”

According to the coach and Turner himself, the former No. 2 overall pick returned to his roots on Sunday. Less than two days removed from a poor performance in an intrasquad scrimmage, Turner showed up to the practice facility and looked like a different player.

“I thought yesterday was his best practice,” Stevens commented.

Turner seconded that statement and explained what had changed for him over the course of those 48 hours.

“I think I just started finding a little rhythm,” he said. “I think (Rajon) Rondo helped me a lot with my patience of it and kind of told me what he was seeing … I think finally I just started slowing down and letting the game come to me.”

The game of singles, of course.

Turner changed the game with his decision making and ability to set the offense into motion. He found holes in the defense, so to speak, to a tune that surprised some of his teammates.

“He has a really, really good handle and he’s really good in ball screens and he’s a really good passer,” said Kelly Olynyk, who started at center alongside Turner. “I think I kind of underestimated his ball handling and his passing ability.”

Those abilities will no longer go underestimated in Boston. Turner’s signing will be a home run for Boston if he continues to hit singles the way he did Monday night.

----

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:47 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:I agree Sam, I think Turner has more skills as a swingman than Jeff Green, he is a more complete swingman. He can obviously play the point and 2 better than Jeff, as has been noted by many Jeff is not a good ball handler. His passing stats show hes never been good at initiating the offense, Turner because he has better handle and passing skills can play the SF better, as the great SF/swingmen Lebron, Pierce in his heyday, T-Mac, Durant, Melo, Kobe,  and all have some level of initiating the offense for themselves and others....Green has never shown this type of all around game.

cow,

On the other hand, there is no evidence Evan Turner is willing to do anything without the ball.

bob

haven't seen enough of him or his game to know what he can and can't do, from what I remember when they played us in playoffs a few years ago, he's pretty versatile, has surprising athleticism, as I saw a big dunk on Lebron once....he's still young, his defense could improve, he wasn't used properly in Indy, he looked like a very promising wing early for Sixers. Alot of last season, the more minutes Jeff Green got, the worse he played, I could see Turner getting more minutes if he continues progressing his game and Jeff doesn't play effectively for stretches as he has shown in the past.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:48 pm

I suggested during the acquisition that Turner could replace Green.  But as KJ pointed out they are different types of small forwards.  Jeff can stretch the defense and is best playing off the ball.  Turner has handle can get to the rim and has a nice in between game.  

It will be interesting to see how Green responds now that the Celtics have a player that is more similar to Paul Pierce minus the 3 point shot.

Turner could start but there are guys in front of him.  His skills may better lend themselves to being the 6th man.  He used to kill us when  ever we played the sixers.  I think he will be one of our closers.

Until Rondo comes back he will probably play some 1, 2 and 3.  Very versatile.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:02 pm

I know its one game, but Turner vastly exceeded my expectations last night. You all think Evan's ability to serviceably handle the point will influence Danny's thinking on Rondo, i.e. Evan can take some of the pressure off Marcus while he develops??? Personally, I hope not, as I still feel Rondo could be a special player.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:36 pm

It seems to me that all interested parties (including Danny, Brad and Evan) realize the "1" gig is pretty much a stopgap thing until Rondo returns. When that happens, Rondo automatically becomes the best floor general they have—by a considerable margin. Making some good passes is nice, but running a team night after night is another matter. I doubt Danny would be sanguine about trading Rondo just because he felt Turner was ready to ascend to full-time floor general.

When Rondo returns, I could see Turner filling the Havlicekian role, but at three positions, rather than "owning" one position. (Note that I did not compare the two, which would be lunacy.)

As for Green and Turner, they are two very different types of players, just as Thornton and Turner are. I could see either duo in productive inside-outside roles, and I bet Jeff would flourish in that situation by not having so much pressure on him that he tends to force low-percentage shots or create his own shots—not his game.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:37 pm

Cow, looks like you made it past the log on cops. Congratulations.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:46 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:I know its one game, but Turner vastly exceeded my expectations last night. You all think Evan's ability to serviceably handle the point will influence Danny's thinking on Rondo, i.e. Evan can take some of the pressure off Marcus while he develops??? Personally, I hope not, as I still feel Rondo could be a special player.

shamrock,

Turner is a ball handler, but I'd hestitate before calling him a point guard or even a point forward.

In my mind, here's the pivot point:

We've all seen Rondo walk the ball up, right?  Well, that effectively turns him into a half court guard, not full court.  If Evan Turner's outside shot is as good as Rondo's then what's the difference?  For Rondo to differentiate himself from Turner he needs to run more or, at least, pass the ball up court quickly.  If he does that then he'll be doing things Turner might not do as well or as much.  In a PnR situation, what I saw Turner do last night, while it was not as smooth as when Rondo does it, was just as effective and Turner's a newbie.

Pressey's quicker up court and is pure pass.
Rondo is not as quick as Pressey but quite quick, is also pass-first, but doesn't do it as much and is a better shooter.
Turner is much less quick full court than either of them and may not be a better, or even as good, a shooter as Rondo 15'+ out.

Unfortunately, none of them are off-the-ball players. That is where Smart might add a wrinkle, as his point guard learning curve starts to flatten out a bit (and that will take time. Point guard takes the longest to learn). I could definitely see him moving without the ball to get to a shooting sweet spot or take advantage of his strength to go to the rim. Pressey's adding his 3. Turner said "I wouldn't call someone a genius who told me to go to the corner and take 3s", so he's not looking to be a face-up shooter like Thornton either. Would Rondo be willing to give up the ball and move without it and take a shot when he got it back? I don't know, that hasn't been his modus operandi so far.

The more Rondo walks, the more he's like Turner.  The more he runs the more he rises to the top because he's better than Pressey in shooting and floor generalling and Turner would be pressed to keep up with him running without the ball much less with it.

Caveat:  This is after only one game and Rondo has not played so I don't know what improvements he has made to his game.  He has improved something every year he has been in the league.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:49 pm

Totally agree Bob. I guess I wasn't clear. There is no doubt Rondo is the better PG. I was just wondering tif Turner's "mere" competence at the position might make Danny more amenable to moving Rajon (assuming he is thinking the rebuild will extend beyond Rondo's prime...)

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:56 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:Totally agree Bob. I guess I wasn't clear. There is no doubt Rondo is the better PG. I was just wondering tif Turner's "mere" competence at the position might make Danny more amenable to moving Rajon (assuming he is thinking the rebuild will extend beyond Rondo's prime...)

shamrock,

I hope not. I wouldn't move one of the top point guards in the league to be replaced with someone who is "merely competent", not unless I'm getting someone in return who fills a major hole, like a high quality rim protecting/intimidating/baseline defending center. In fact, that is the only role that we are so deficient in that I would say "yeah, move Rondo" for. If he wants to leave that's one thing, he's our asset and you don't just give up an asset that you've cultivated for years for nothing, but pulling a trigger on a trade for a player(s) you want and not because you're in a "Kevin Love Catch-22"? It'd have to be that kind of player for me not to shake my head.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:58 pm

I'm with you Bob. Never quite understood the reasoning of trading Rondo to get more "assets". isn't the goal of collecting assets to get a player like Rondo???

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:03 am

sam wrote:Cow, looks like you made it past the log on cops.  Congratulations.

Sam

Thanks Sam

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:11 am

Shamrock1000 wrote:I'm with you Bob. Never quite understood the reasoning of trading Rondo to get more "assets". isn't the goal of collecting assets to get a player like Rondo???

shamrock,

There is no other sport in which one player can have as big an impact on the game as basketball.  Baseball can come close, but it has to be a starting pitcher that can make angels sing (think Ron Guidry's 1978 27-3 season.  No slump lasted past his next start date).  Rondo is a top 5 point guard.  That's what you want, you want players that are all-stars because they are just better than everybody else at their position.  With Evan Turner, we could get by with a trade for Russell Westbrook (not a pass first PG, but Turner could offset that loss of skill) but other than him, who?  CP3?  Sure, love him, but we'd have to pry him out of Doc and Steve Ballmer's cold dead hands.  Parker?  Too old.  Michael Carter-Williams?  Sure, throw in Embiid and we'll throw in Jeff Green to replace Thaddeus Young for you and we're good (more players and/or TPEs might be necessary to make the numbers work, but you get the idea.  I want a rim protector/shot intimidator if I'm giving up Rondo and MCW's good but he hasn't actually done anything yet besides win ROY against a weak field of competitors).  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:37 am

Bob and Shamrock,

Moreover, there's no one position at which a player can impact so many teammates on a regular basis as a true floor general. I think of Rondo as auditioning this season for the long-term job of floor general on this team. Because I'm not completely convinced that Rondo has what it takes to be the main catalyst in Brad's system, to say nothing of being physically equipped to fill that role year after year.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down