+4
Sam
MDCelticsFan
jeb
LACELTFAN
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So what....does it matter? Empty So what....does it matter?

Post by LACELTFAN Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:48 pm

No doubt that Dr. Buss has had the most successful franchise in the last 30 years. He has done what it took to put together winning teams 9 times in that stretch. The Lakers look poised to possibly pull even in the near future...bannerwise....and maybe even pass the Celtics (historically THE most successful franchise, percentwise in history bannerwise, anyway)...Does it matter? Does anyone care? What's wrong with being number 2? How would you feel if it became LAKERS:18, CELTICS: 17 ? Does our culture put to much emphasis on being number 1 or not?
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

So what....does it matter? Empty Re: So what....does it matter?

Post by jeb Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:01 pm

LaCelt

The Lakers got plenty of hassles and Kobe is getting ground into paste by minutes.

I wouldnt start raising banners for those guys just yet. Let's see the great dr Buss address their glaring bench issues and how many minutes gasol and specialy Kobe have on their bad selves come playoff time.

They are a long long way from unbeatable.

And yeah for me I'd hate to see them pass us.

Kinda petty i guess but aint into their action.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:47 pm

jeb65 wrote:LaCelt

The Lakers got plenty of hassles and Kobe is getting ground into paste by minutes.

I wouldnt start raising banners for those guys just yet. Let's see the great dr Buss address their glaring bench issues and how many minutes gasol and specialy Kobe have on their bad selves come playoff time.

They are a long long way from unbeatable.

And yeah for me I'd hate to see them pass us.

Kinda petty i guess but aint into their action.
Jeb-
In honor of your avatar....We'll call it "fear and loathing in the Staples center..."
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:59 pm

perfect!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:45 pm

The Lakers will pull even with the Celtics,but probably not pass the C's until their post Kobe era begins in several years. Rest assured J. Buss will purchase, trade for or sign the necessary free agents to continue sell outs at Staples regardless of the cost. Mitch Kupchak will draft well also. I'm glad I'll be pushing up daisies by that time!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:05 pm

dr buss will also cure every disease in men and most in women and everyone that ever watched a celtic game will be banished to south carolina where they will be tragically forced to take up quilting.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:57 pm

Actually Jeb, South Carolina's a really wonderful place! The old ball coach Steve Spurrier coaches the University's football team, and the lovely legendary Dawn Staley coaches the Universtiy's Womens basketball team!-You'd have to go to Tennessee for a quilt, actually the Vols endzone's more of an orange & white checker board!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:59 pm

md

that damn spurrier! i grew up in tn!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:06 pm

JEB: I'll admit as a Wahington football fan Spurrier didn't work any miracles for the 'Skins!-I love the Lady Vols! Pat Summitt is purely Iconic!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:38 pm

MD

she is tough as a railroad spike. People are scared of her. Men folk.

What a run! and she is still young. Than damn connectucat.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:00 pm

It matters to me. I'm a professional basketball fan. Specifically rooting for the Boston Celtics. Winning the championship is the ultimate goal of the competition. Why wouldn't it matter.

It also matters to me that my wife, kids and grandkids are healthy and succeeding at living life, because I believe that's the goal of drawing breath.

There are certain things in life that, by virtue of their importance to the individual, deserve the ultimate in caring. Is there some reason why those things shouldn't matter? If so, I've been wasting 72 years.

But I don't think so.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:05 pm

Jeb: Geno Auremma is a slime ball. Calhoun doesn't even like him. Geno played dirty getting Mya Moore, his current star player. Mya's Mom went from poverty to a thriving internet business and a luxury condo in Connecticut overnight after Mya commited to UCON. It was more than the illegal tour of ESPN that caused Pat Summitt to discontinue the series with the Lady Huskies. There was more to the Della Donna situation also. Geno didn't want to get burned so he let her walk back to Delaware. No team will derail Geno's express this year. Next year could be a different story. Tina Charles will be gone. The Lady Vols will have Vicki Baugh back and Kamiko Williams will run the point. Also Baylor's 6'8" Brittney Griner will be more experienced. I met Coach Summitt in '02 in D.C. when UT played George Washington. It was an honor!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:00 am

md
def the WRONG kind of geno.

Sam. it means THE WORLD to me.

And what's more we are still in the hunt.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:30 am

LA,

It matters to me, but in a secondary kind of way.

I enjoy playing and watching sports, and I very much enjoy being a Celtics fan.

However, the number of banners the Celtics, or another team, manage to hang has no real baring on my life. That my son and wife are comfortable and doing well eclipses the rest; the Celtics aren't even a close 100th place in terms of relevance.

The more interesting part of your question may be about society placing too much emphasis on being number one. I suspect it does, and that we often forget the enjoyment and satisfaction of playing the game in our all-out effort to win it. I know I have been guilty of this one often enough.

I think it to be more important than titles that the Celtics, Lakers, or any other team may act as a common ground for people like all of us here to come together and talk, share ideas, debate, learn from each other and sometimes even befriend one another.

So to answer your question properly; it only matters in terms of entertainment, and that is of fleeting value at best.

Great question.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:16 am

damn nyc you never cease to amaze me. You are a reasoned calming steady voice on this board.

Well said.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by spike Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:34 am

When the Lakers moved from Minny to Shakytown, they talked about it as if they were starting a new franchise. They only kept the name because Bob Short couldn't afford new jerseys. It's so typical of the false reality of Los Angeles that the only things resembling a lake in the whole L.A. basin are the LaBrea tar pits.

The Lakers will never win 8 in a row. No one will, in any sport. The Celtics of the '50s and '60s reinvented the game of basketball and gave the game more immortal names that any other basketball franchise. They are the mountaintop and every team from now 'til the end of days will be forced to look up at all those banners and drool.

Besides, getting to the mountaintop is vastly overrated. As Hannah Montana, that icon of modern sensibility, sings, "It's the climb."

spike

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:15 am

Jeb,

I appreciate your kind words. In the interest of fair disclosure I must admit that my wife and others might wish to debate the very thought of anything reasoned coming from me!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:19 pm

nyc

Mine too wifewise. In this great place within the hive we have voices up and down the scale of reason. You are not too excitable and keep things level and real in relation to the real world.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:33 pm

It matters alot to me. I have been a Celtic fan forever. I care deeply what happens to this team. This is one of the reasons why I haven't been posting.
Too much negativity. I will keep the faith, wait for the all star break and a rest for some of the guys and hope that the second season goes better.

Funny, I did this is 1968-69.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:24 pm

rosalie t

very nice to see you. so to speak.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:10 pm

Rosalie,

Read the glimmer thread. It's intended to be nothing but positives, although people seem intent on trying to introduce negativity. The positive messages will win out though. I can guarantee it.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:16 pm

Rosalie

I for one really miss your voice around here. Big time.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:51 am

And Rosalie, if you're reading this, I heard about your "mini-award gettogether" recently. I wish I had know it was happening because I would have broken my neck to make it.

Come to think of it, I probably would have slobbered like a St. Bernard and told you how great you are and kissed your hand and junk like that, so you were probably a lot better off without me. But I was there in spirit.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyGreen17 Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:25 pm

It definitely matters to me. Even more so after being at the game Sunday vs. the Lakers. Laker fans should never be able to come into our house and leave feeling satisfied, it's just not right. There were far too many of them there too. It's because of the fans more than the franchise itself that I would hate to see the Lakers pass the Celtics in the banner department. (No offense to the Laker fans that post here, as I feel you are the exception rather than the rule)

Luckily Sam and friends have created this great place where we can come to talk about the ups and downs without having to deal with those awful Laker trolls. There are a lot of negative posts floating around here too, but at least I know they come from people who really care about the C's and aren't taking pleasure in our discomfort. I haven't posted much lately either, specifically because I'm sure I'll say things I'll regret once this ship is righted. I do appreciate the glimmers thread though!
KellyGreen17
KellyGreen17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:31 pm

Kelly, the glimmers thread was written very much for people from whom we haven't heard a lot lately. I know the frustration of (pardon the expression) spitting in the wind. And, frankly, there have been times when I just wished I could close my eyes and reopen them to see April on the calendar. It's a very human tendency to want reassurance sooner rather than later; but unfortunately, overnight is not how good things usually develop.

We know you're out there rooting them on, whether or not you post.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next