Rondo Calls Celtics Assistant Coach Darren Erman 'Baby Thibodeau'

+3
Sam
Sloopjohnb
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Rondo Calls Celtics Assistant Coach Darren Erman 'Baby Thibodeau' Empty Rondo Calls Celtics Assistant Coach Darren Erman 'Baby Thibodeau'

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:10 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/11/rajon_rondo_calls_boston_celti.html

Rajon Rondo calls Boston Celtics assistant Darren Erman 'Baby Thibodeau,' considers Erman a future head coach

Print Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com
on November 20, 2014 at 5:20 PM

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – As Boston Celtics star Rajon Rondo sat next to assistant coach Darren Erman, a reporter decided to put Rondo on the spot:

What’s the smartest thing Erman has ever told you?

The question came in a half-joking tone, but Rondo, after finishing practice Thursday afternoon at FedExForum, responded with the utmost praise.

“He’s the best guy in the league to me as far as scouting reports,” Rondo said. “I call him Baby Thibodeau. Thibs is the best at it, to me, defensively. He’s the best defensive coach I’ve ever played for. (Erman is) pretty much a miniature Thibodeau.”

Those with the Celtics during Tom Thibodeau’s tenure rave about his work ethic, citing all the days he spent 17 or 18 hours at the gym. He routinely leads top-five defenses, helped the Celtics to the 2008 title, and has thrived as a head coach ever since (finally) getting his chance with the Chicago Bulls.

“(Erman) does the same thing, he works just as hard,” Rondo said. “You can’t really beat him to the gym. When Thibs was here, you couldn’t. I’d try to get to the gym at 7 in the morning, the only guy there was Thibs in his office. And (Erman is) pretty much the same way. It’s paid off for Thibs and it’s only a matter of time before (Erman) becomes a head coach.”

Before that opportunity arrives, Erman, in the first season of his second stint with the Celtics, will continue trying to shape the team's defense. Initially brought in as a director of NBA scouting after a weird end to his tenure with the Warriors, he moved to the bench following assistant Ron Adams' departure for Golden State.

Erman and rest of the staff will have their hands full preparing for Friday night's opponent. The 10-2 Memphis Grizzlies have been one of the NBA’s best teams early in the season.

“I think they’re as tough as it gets as far as big men,” Rondo said. “Today, (Erman) was telling us they’re like a football team. They’re going to run it down your throat. They’re very physical, especially with (Marc) Gasol and (Zach) Randolph on the post. They get away with a lot of pushes in the back and offensive rebounds. It will be a tough matchup for us down low, but it’s going to be a team effort (in) collectively rebounding the basketball and getting those guys off the offensive glass.”

Rondo added: “We have to hit first and we have to be the toughest team throughout 48 (minutes). This team can’t outplay us at any position, in any moments or any spurts of the game. We’ve got to be tough for 48.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Rondo Calls Celtics Assistant Coach Darren Erman 'Baby Thibodeau' Empty Re: Rondo Calls Celtics Assistant Coach Darren Erman 'Baby Thibodeau'

Post by Sloopjohnb Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:09 am

Erman may work like an animal and know what should be done on defense. Problem is that we haven't seen the fruits of his labors yet as the Celtics are allowing the third most points per game.

As the saying goes, it's a players' league.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Rondo Calls Celtics Assistant Coach Darren Erman 'Baby Thibodeau' Empty Re: Rondo Calls Celtics Assistant Coach Darren Erman 'Baby Thibodeau'

Post by Sam Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:29 am

Something's amiss somewhere.  Scouting isn't necessarily the same as coaching because scouting doesn't automatically yield a winning defensive system.  On the other hand, it could be possible that the Celtics have as "winning" a defensive system that it's in this team's power to possess.  Enough to keep the scores of mediocre teams low enough so that the Celtics' offense can persevere.  I like to think that there's still the potential for defensive improvement (maybe even substantial improvement) this season.

The Celtics players have tried hard to play better offense, and so far it has paid off this season.  What scares me is that they seem to be putting the same degree of effort into their defense without commensurate results.  Something's wrong somewhere.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:54 pm

I guess Rondo was trying to pay Erman a complement.

Although whenever I hear He's a baby this or he's a baby that, I'm thinking ok will he grow up and and stop being a baby or minature reflection of someone else?

There are some things that are not going to change on a team that has structural problems.  We do not have a rim protector but what else can they do better that has nothing to do with rim protection?

An improvement in the quality of their defense will occur when they are able to make that 2nd and 3rd defensive rotation.  Currently if they are defending the pick and role and  one of our bigs has to rotate over to challenge a driver, no one rotates over to take up the space where he left.  We are not yet a good second rotation team on defense let alone a 3rd or even 4th.

This is particularly evident in our interior defense where the play is not out in front and the opponents have an unchecked clear path to the rim to receive an open pass or bang the offense glass.

When I see the big rotate out to cover a guard that got by his man and at the same time I see a rotation player position himself to dissuade the pass and secure the vacated space, then I will believe that Erman "the baby" Thib may be onto something.

Basically the Celtics must collectively do a better job reading the opponents offense and anticipating where the the rotation needs to come from.    

I think the effort is there but the results are not because this team does not trust one another on defense and they are slow to initiate secondary rotations on a given play.

dboss

Last edited by dboss on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:57 pm

The same "read and react" theory that characterizes Brad's offense needs to influence the defense as well.  I'm not sure how much of the failure to react on defense is more a matter of poor defensive discipline or poor defensive physicality—or some measure of both.  Whatever's the case, it's not likely to be a quick or easy fix.

There have been a few times in this young season when the Celtics have actually mounted a pretty good defensive stand.  But, invariably, the opponent adjusts at halftime and the Celts have no defensive answer by the time the fourth quarter rolls around.  That's the sort of thing that happens when a team learns something from rote and hasn't developed an instinct for reacting.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:52 pm

At this level, the difference between a good defense and a poor one is a) having a good defensive scheme; b) each player knowing his assignments; and c) the half step between being on time with rotations and being late.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:01 am

Outside wrote:At this level, the difference between a good defense and a poor one is a) having a good defensive scheme; b) each player knowing his assignments; and c) the half step between being on time with rotations and being late.

Outside,

Burmese translation:  a) good coaching; b) continuity and chemistry; and c) experience. Right now, at best, we have 1 out 3 but every game we're gaining on the other two.

Yearning for some wins in Yangon

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:16 pm

I am not sure that anyone gets too much credit for the Celtics defense at this point in the season although I am sure that they are all working on it.

Had not heard of Coach Erman until reading this thread, but the numbers, points per game, opponent's shooting percentage, points in the lane, etc, etc do not yet gain him much positive notoriety. He is also working with a roster that really does not have many defensively heralded players so there is a lot of work yet to do by both the coaching staff and the players.

There have been times that there appears to be some defensive success, but maintaining those times has been very elusive. Looking on the positive side, the Celtics have made exemplary improvement on the offensive end so I am willing to wait for the same type of defensive improvement.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm always suspicious of people who throw themselves into their careers at the expense of everything else. Coming in at 7am and staying until 11pm tells me this guy is very inefficient in what he does. He can benefit from working less and producing more. His personal life is non-existent with those hours. Hope he's not married. Eventually he will self-destruct, especially if the results don't follow soon.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sloopjohnb Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:27 am

To paraphrase David Halberstam in "Breaks of the Game" writing about the Portland coaching staff, when you describe a successful coach you are not necessarily painting a portrait of a well adjusted, well rounded person.

The same can be said about many people who are successful in a highly competitive activity.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down