hawksnestbeach
kdp59
dboss
gyso
Outside
Sam
14 posters

Go down

FORGETTING ABOUT MONEY, do you feel Rondo is sufficiently well qualified to be the floor general of the Celtics during their rebuilding period?

Poll about Rondo Vote_lcap100%Poll about Rondo Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 12 ]
Poll about Rondo Vote_lcap0%Poll about Rondo Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 12

Poll about Rondo Empty Poll about Rondo

Post by Sam Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:18 pm

There have been so many articles and posts about Rondo's future that I thought I'd run the following poll.  I've made the two answers as simple and unequivocal as possible.

Question: Forgetting about money, do you feel Rondo is sufficiently well qualified to be the floor general of the Celtics during their rebuilding period?

Answers: Yes or No

There is intentionally no middle ground provided for in the answer categories.  If anyone is undecided, I suggest that he or she utilize an approach similar to what is used in political polling.  Simply answer either "Yes" or "No" based on which way you lean.

I recognize that there may be many qualifiers that will make responding difficult.  I would ask that you answer the question as posed and then mention any qualifiers in your comments.  Just remember that the only issue being addressed here involves Rondo's basketball qualifications.  Money should be absolutely no factor in answering this question.

I WANT TO EMPHASIZE THAT THE QUESTIONS IS SPECIFICALLY NOT WHETHER HE SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT STAY WITH THE CELTICS. IT RELATES ONLY TO HIS BASKETBALL QUALIFICATIONS.

Thanks for participating.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Poll about Rondo Empty Re: Poll about Rondo

Post by Outside Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:25 pm

I voted yes, and your instruction about "which way you lean" was particularly important for me, because that's the way I lean. It's not a wholehearted, 100% "yes."

I would have no equivocation about saying "yes" if the question was about whether he is well qualified to be the floor general on the rebuilt team several years down the road. But during this rebuilding period, my hesitation is centered around his offensive liabilities, which hurt the team more when there aren't better scorers around him, and the downward trend in his defense, which hurts the team more when they don't have a big man intimidator.

But given what he does well, I voted "yes."
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:43 pm

I voted yes. That was . . .

Poll about Rondo Easy-b10

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:10 pm

I voted yes. I think that he is an excellent floor general and has adjusted realatively well to moving the ball quicker. Under the Rivers system plays were sometimes long in developing. Under Brad's system shots open up quicker and when they do not open up he is still able to find an open man for a good shot.

At 28 years old he has 5 good years to run this team at a high level.

Even though I voted yes I am not sure he should remain with the Celtics.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:43 pm

You can't answer a question about whether any player should stay or go in a vacuum.

the MONEY is a very important piece of the equation.

so I'll answer the question as it should be posed, IMO.

I would keep Rondo (assuming of course he WANTS to stay) for no more than $14M in salary next year.

Anything more than that and I wouldn't want him here.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:44 pm

I think Rondo's foul shooting (from everywhere on the court!) will improve as the season progresses. My only qualifier is that he take continue to take direction from Brad with a good attitude. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:34 pm

Kdp. The question was not whether Rondo should stay or go. It was very carefully worded to be only an evaluation of his qualifications.

Was Larry Bird a great player or wasn't he? I expect that question can be answered without reference to his salary?

But thanks for the response.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:36 pm

"You can't answer a question about whether any player should stay or go in a vacuum.

the MONEY is a very important piece of the equation."

I'm with you kdp59. Its a loaded question. Of course money is an issue. The Celts are going to need every buck they can get their hands on to be able to sign the caliber scorers and or rebounders that will be needed to become a legitimate contender in the future. Get the horses first , then worry about the jockey later. Say a Mario Chalmers type Jockey for about 4-6 mil a year

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:00 pm

This question contains not one syllable about whether Rondo should stay or go.  That was neither the express nor implied intent of the question.

The question is intentionally limited to one element of many that might come into play as to whether Rondo should stay or go.  (Will Smart suddenly ripen into a viable alternative?  Could Rondo demand a trade?  Might Brad modify the system or the rotation to accommodate Rondo's warts?  Etc.)

If people don't feel qualified to answer the question, that's fine.  But it's a legitimate question and not a loaded one.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:06 pm

I don't know Sam, have to see how the season plays out, its only 15-16 games, but the way hes playing right now, I gotta say No. I'm rooting/thinking he will improve in all areas, he can't shoot this bad the whole season.....right?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Cow,

I would guess he can't shoot this badly over the whole season, but I'm wondering whether we're seeing the real Rondo or whether we're seeing a petulant Rondo out on the court. I do believe he can sometimes take the play of teammates almost personally, leading him to strange behavior when he's disenchanted with what's going on. I've always found it interesting that he seems to perform so well in nationally telecast games. Perhaps that's just a coincidence or perhaps it's understandable that he'd get an extra shot of adrenalin in high profile situations; I don't know.

I just find myself wondering what his game would look like if he suddenly became a member of a contending team. My guess is that the opportunities and pressures of that situation would spur a much better performance by him, partly because he wouldn't feel as though he had to do everything.

I think that, as this season unfolds, it's causing some interesting dynamics in his brain. What's with the uptick in rebounding by a floor general? Is he reasoning that the bigs are deficient in that area? Does he feel that somehow that expedites the fast break? (I would degree, because I'd prefer a crisp outlet pass from a big and less dribbling upcourt by Rondo on the break.

Anyway, we'll obviously have to see what happens.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:00 pm

Yes. Without any doubt.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:15 am

I voted 'yes'.

I understand the concerns about money and salary cap, and they are real, but we don't know what the cap will be with the new TV deal. Danny and Wyc probably have some kind of handle on it but I sure don't. What I do know, though, is that Danny will not starve the team just to pay Rondo. He showed that when he got KG to take a lower salary and when he traded Perk because he thought he was asking too much.

On the plus side, I listed my rationale on the 'Let's be realistic about Rondo" thread.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:28 am

If no(t)

then WHO?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:44 am

Sam,

I cannot make head or tails of the question.  If he is a good floor general overall, it does not matter if he is playing for a team chasing a championship or a team rebuilding.

Rondo brings his superior talent/skill set no matter the type of team.  Therefore, his superior talent/skill set when used in his position as floor general should translate into bring out the best of his fellow floor teammates talents.

If Rondo is playing on the Celtic 2008 team, he used his talents to bring out the talents of KG, PP, RA etc.........and since his teammates are high caliber players.........they were able to execute successfully.

On the 2014 team........again he will use his talents to bring out the talents of his other players...........in this case the player may not have a skill set that matches the skill set of Rondo...so therefore it may not lead to successful execution.

My suggestion is to add another question  to you your poll.

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:06 am

I voted yes.

We know Rondo can do amazing things. Let's just finish developing and acquiring the necessary players.

I think that patience is key. I'm sure everyone already knows that, but it's easy to forget about when you see things you don't particularly like. This team is still in rebuild, and it's only year two.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:07 am

I understand why there is some (perhaps considerable) resistance to answering the question I posed. As you suggested, it seems a lot of people believe the Rondo they've followed through the years is the Rondo they'll get in an extended rebuilding process. And all who actually answered the question seemed to support the notion of Rondo being a vital part of a rebuilding process.

I'm not at all sure that Rondo's a one-size fits-all floor general who "brings his talent and skill no matter the type of team." His qualifications involve far more than skill and ability. Attitude and patience are just two of the more psychological factors that may face a very different test in a rebuilding process than in a winning/contending environment the represented the great majority of his healthy time with the Celtics.

I appreciate the fact that so many people at least considered answering the question; and I respect any reluctance to do so, which may have been more informative than the actual answers to the question.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:11 am

Sam,

This is a great question.  I am going to wait for about 7 weeks to make my decision.

My decision will be based on whether Rondo shows that he can lead this team in the clutch situations.  Some may not think this is a fair way to evaluate Rondo, but there is really no other player on this team who can be expected to handle this assignment if he cannot do it for several reasons.

First and most importantly, is that unless Rondo goes down with another injury he is the guy who is going to have the ball the most between now and the end of January.

Second, the majority of the rest of what I think will be the "rotation" when Stevens gets away from his 10 man approach are all too young to handle this leadership role.  Smart, Sullenger,  Olynik, Bradley and Zeller fit into this area while the other guys just do not seem to be the verbal leader types.   Wallace would be a possibility but he already does not play significant minutes and is not likely to gain more minutes in the next seven weeks.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:13 pm

Clyde,

Smart move to hold off on committing yourself.  The last two games, along, have at least slightly altered my own answer to the question.  If someone else had asked the question, I might have taken the same route you have.  But, knowing how much people on the board love to make predictions, I thought I'd give it a try.

I'd say 11-0 is a fairly good indication of how the board feels.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down