k_j_88
kdp59
Sam
gyso
international
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Austin Rivers goes to Boston in the Jeff Green trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Austin Rivers goes to Boston in the Jeff Green trade

Post by gyso Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:34 am

bobheckler wrote:
swedeinestonia wrote:And for most parts they should be in a better position to negotiate with Rondo after this season without him than they would have been if he stayed.

Swede,

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think we can sign Rondo for at least one year after trading him.  I think it is called the "Gary Payton Rule", after Danny traded Payton, who was immediately waived and then resigned with Boston.  It was just too obvious a film flam, so they changed the CBA so other GMs couldn't be as clever as Trader Danny.

bob

bob,

Swede is right, we can sign Rondo next summer. He referenced Rule #100 (When can't a player be traded?) rather nicely.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Austin Rivers goes to Boston in the Jeff Green trade - Page 2 Empty Re: Austin Rivers goes to Boston in the Jeff Green trade

Post by gyso Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:40 am

kdp59 wrote:we're not bringing Rondo back.

If Ainge wanted to pay him max money and build a team around him, he would have kept him.

ship has sailed.

look for the new YOUNGER players that Danny and Stevens are building this team  on.

I agree with you, for the most part. Like the Red Sox - Lester scenario, they traded away a player with and expiring contract in order to guarantee that they would get something. During the off-season, they tried (and failed) to sign him back.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ainge makes him an offer, but like the RS - L scenario, it probably will not be enough.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Does anybody know what year we get Grizzlies first round pick?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:42 pm

Cow,

Although the Green-to-Memphis deal is reportedly final, we don't have all the details yet, including the year of the first round pick from Memphis. Adrian Wojo of Yahoo Sports says that it will "likely" be a 2019 pick.

I found this that lists Boston's draft picks and the related conditions, but Forsberg put this together before the Green trade.

Boston's pile of draft picks
By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4716912/bostons-pile-of-draft-picks

A look at the draft picks that the Boston Celtics now own after Friday's trade that delivered Brandan Wright to the Phoenix Suns in exchange for a conditional future first-round pick:

2015 draft  
1st round: Boston, Clippers, Dallas1, Minnesota2, Philadelphia3  
2nd round: Boston4, Philadelphia5, Washington6  

2016 draft  
1st round: Boston, Brooklyn, Minnesota2, Cleveland7, Dallas1  
2nd round: Philadelphia5, Minnesota2, Miami, Cleveland, Dallas8  

2017 draft  
1st round: Boston9  
2nd round: Boston9, Cleveland, Minnesota2  

2018 draft  
1st round: Boston, Brooklyn  
2nd round: Boston

2019 draft (and beyond)10  
1st round: Boston  
2nd round: Boston

1. [Dallas’ pick is protected selections 1-3 and 15-30 in 2015; protected 1-7 from 2016-2020; unprotected 2021]↑
2. [Minnesota’s pick (via the Suns) is protected 1-12 in 2015 and 2016; becomes 2016 and 2017 second-round picks]↑
3. [Philadelphia’s pick is lottery protected selections 1-14]↑
4. [Boston’s pick is conveyed to Cleveland if between selections 56-60]↑
5. [Philadelphia's pick is conveyed if first-round pick is in lottery]↑
6. [Washington’s pick is protected selections 31-49]↑
7. [Cleveland’s pick is top-10 protected until 2019]↑
8. [Better of Dallas/Memphis second-round pick]↑
9. [Boston has option to swap first-round pick with Brooklyn; second-round pick to Nets if swapped and 45+]↑
10. [If all outstanding picks are previously delivered]↑

Once the Celtics finalize the trade that's expected to send Jeff Green to the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for a future first-round pick, you can add another first-round pick to the pile.

While the protections on all the picks make it a bit difficult to digest, here's the most likely scenario for Boston:

• 2 first-round picks in 2015 (Celtics, Clippers); 3 second-round picks (Celtics, 76ers, Wizards)

• 4 first-round picks in 2016 (Celtics, Nets, Cavaliers, Mavericks); 5 second-round picks (76ers, Wolves, Heat, Cavaliers, Mavericks)

That's as many as 14 potential picks over the next two drafts. Needless to say, unless Boston desires to draft an entire new roster, it will attempt to move those picks for more known assets.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:52 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Does anybody know what year we get Grizzlies first round pick?

Cowens,

Most likely Boston will receive the Memphis pick in 2019.
They owe a protected 1st round pick to Denver who will probably receive the pick in 2017.
Boston will then get Memphis 1st round pick two years after Memphis sends their 1st round pick to Denver.

•2015 — Owe first-rounder (top-five protected and 15-30 protected through 2016, top-five protected through 2018, unprotected in 2019) to Denver Nuggets (Marreese Speights, Timofey Mozgov
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:51 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Does anybody know what year we get Grizzlies first round pick?

In the year 2525............

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:59 pm

Austin Rivers; from top 10 pick to trade throw-in.

Another classic example of a kid who left school for the NBA too soon.

NBA teams take them young for fear of missing the player who realizes his potential in the NBA without really developing in college. Young basketball players declaring for the draft early are often like scotch once it's bottled; they stop aging (their game stops developing).
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by BaronV Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:16 pm

But... but... he was a top 10 pick ... he has to be awesome.

(Sorry - couldn't resist)

-V

BaronV

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:25 pm

I didn't like the Rondo trade because we lost the ability to rebuild fairly soon with our best player gone. But with that move made, I feel better about trading Green, because it gives the team direction. We are blowing it up, casting our fate to the ping pong balls, focusing on the long term. This year is one for winnowing, not winning. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:51 pm

I don't think we could have resigned RR and then he sure was not worth the max....

In his last 3 games with Dallas ( seems by now he'd be finding his nitch there) he's shot 5-31 and scored 10 points. I guess he shot himself silly against us and now has few bullets left. Yes he does have 30 assists during those 3 games. But I have to believe Dallas was expecting more. I believe his injury is more of a factor than even RR wants us to believe.

We will have room to maneuver just hope that at least most of the moves pan out.

Banner 18 might be a few years off.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:03 pm

Thanks guys good to know.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:54 am

Hawk, now that it's a done deal and I believe in looking to the future rather than belaboring the past, I believe the substitution of Crowder for Green in the Celtics' starting lineup is giving the Celtics better definition. So far, without Jeff and with Crowder in there, they're more aggressive at both ends of the floor, more consistently upbeat, and playing more volume basketball rather than relying on a high shooting percentage that doesn't come easily to them. Throw Smart in with Crowder, Bradley and Bass, and it's a pretty fine defensive nucleus (although it could obviously benefit greatly with the arrival of Mr. Intimidator),

I don't mean to imply that this is what they'll be going forward, and who knows what other players Danny may send away. But it certainly seems to be the situation right now. It happens to be the kind of approach I enjoy, win or lose, and I won't be surprised if it contributes to more wins than many fans foresee for them the rest of this season. More important, in the long-term scheme of things, this team seems to have achieved more true chemistry during the last few games than it previously had experienced this season.

This is no knock on Jeff because I had hoped he would remain with the Celtics. But it can sometimes happen that one player is a better "fit" than another for a given team, and I'm starting to believe Crowder is a better fit for the direction in which the Celtics should be headed than Green would have been.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2