Interesting Trade Rumor On Allen - CBS SPORTS

+4
bobheckler
MDCelticsFan
mrkleen09
8 posters

Go down

Interesting Trade Rumor On Allen - CBS SPORTS Empty Interesting Trade Rumor On Allen - CBS SPORTS

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:18 am

You can take this with as many grains of salt as you wish, but here is the latest trade rumor.

Celtics, Allen on trade clock
Posted on: February 7, 2010 6:32 pm
Score: 185Log-in to rate:
Log-in to rate:
Few grand conclusions can be drawn from February NBA games. But in this case, the Celtics' latest disappointing loss only underscored what has been a poorly kept secret among NBA executives for weeks: Ray Allen's time in Boston is likely coming to an end.

Thanks to a non-competitive third quarter, the Celtics fell to Orlando 96-89 on Sunday, dropping them to third in the East behind the Cavs and Magic. The struggling Celtics still have three games against Cleveland to prove they haven't fallen from elite status. But after going 1-3 against Orlando and 0-4 against Atlanta, the Celtics have reached a crossroads in their bid to milk one more championship banner out of the Allen-Paul Pierce-Kevin Garnett era.

Don't bet on every member of the Big Three being around beyond the Feb. 18 trade deadline.

Though team president Danny Ainge has publicly ridiculed the Allen trade reports, several NBA executives told CBSSports.com that the Celtics have been actively trying to parlay Allen's $19.7 million expiring contract into an asset that could keep them in the mix during the upcoming playoffs and also help them for the next several seasons. The most recent inquiry, sources say, involved Sacramento sharpshooter Kevin Martin, who'd be a good fit with Boston's remaining core. Kings officials might be talked out of their reluctance to deal Martin if they could pry a prolific big man out of a third team brought into the discussions or in a separate transaction before the deadline.

The bottom line is that Ainge, who saved his job by pulling off the perfect storm of trades that yielded Allen and Garnett three years ago, has made it clear in private conversations that he's "not going back to the abyss," according to one person familiar with the discussions.

"Danny has said, 'I can't go back to square one where we were prior to the Garnett deal,'" the person said. "At the All-Star break, they’re going to look in the mirror and say, 'Cleveland got better, we can't beat Orlando, and we can't even beat the Hawks. We’re not going to win it this year.'"

If the Celtics kept Allen and let his contract come off the books, they'd still be over the cap this summer with no avenues besides sign-and-trades to acquire a starting shooting guard. That's why Boston also has expressed interest in the Bulls' Kirk Hinrich, an excellent defender and ball-handler who would give the Celtics a starting two guard next season at $9 million and in 2011-12 at $8 million. The Bulls' motivation would be cap relief.

The Kings, who are not planning to be big free-agent shoppers this summer, aren't seeking to acquire cap space alone. They want assets -- and the Celtics don't have a young big man to offer. The Bulls, who almost certainly will move Tyrus Thomas, might need to be invited into that conversation to satisfy everyone's needs.

Whatever avenue they pursue, the Celtics don't want to go into this summer with no cap flexibility and no assets that could be used to keep them among the elite. Before Ainge struck the 2007 draft-related deal for Allen and then plucked Garnett from Minnesota with the help of former teammate Kevin McHale, the Celtics had just endured a 24-win season and hadn't been out of the first round since 2002-03. Ainge and Doc Rivers were on the brink of getting fired until the perfect remedy presented itself -- and the Celtics parlayed the Allen and Garnett deals into their 17th NBA title.

"Kevin McHale's out of the league," one rival executive said, only half-joking. "So they're not going to be able to recreate that deal again."

The period leading up to that was so grim that nobody in the organization wants to revisit it. The best way to avoid such a scenario would be to part ways with Allen. It wouldn't be starting over. Instead, it would be a bold attempt to have a chance against Cleveland, Orlando, and Atlanta in the playoffs and avoid going back to the depths of rebuilding.

Back to top Go down

Interesting Trade Rumor On Allen - CBS SPORTS Empty Re: Interesting Trade Rumor On Allen - CBS SPORTS

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:25 am

So Kevin Martin and Kirk Heinrich for Ray Allen?

I would do that deal - yesterday.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Interesting Trade Rumor On Allen - CBS SPORTS Empty Re: Interesting Trade Rumor On Allen - CBS SPORTS

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:36 am

mrkleen: What about Ray & Tony Allen, 'Sheed, Scal, and Perk to Washington for Butler, Jaimison & Haywood!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:27 am

How about the Satch Sanders, Tony Armas and the kitchen sink for Lebron James and a package of skittles. Rolling Eyes

Where do you come up with this stuff man?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:02 am

Smile when you talk about skittles. I love them.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:49 am

bobheckler wrote:Smile when you talk about skittles. I love them.

bobh,

Skittles were the "stealth candy" of all time when they were invented. I'd bite into one expecting the chocolate of an M&M and get puckered instead. Interesting Trade Rumor On Allen - CBS SPORTS Icon_surprised

I don't like them and would expect to get nothing for them in a trade. IMO, you would have to throw in LJ for a trade that includes skittles in any way. Interesting Trade Rumor On Allen - CBS SPORTS Suspect

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:14 pm

gyso wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Smile when you talk about skittles. I love them.

bobh,

Skittles were the "stealth candy" of all time when they were invented. I'd bite into one expecting the chocolate of an M&M and get puckered instead. Interesting Trade Rumor On Allen - CBS SPORTS Icon_surprised

I don't like them and would expect to get nothing for them in a trade. IMO, you would have to throw in LJ for a trade that includes skittles in any way. Interesting Trade Rumor On Allen - CBS SPORTS Suspect

gyso

gyso,

ok by me. Just hand over your "worthless" skittles and I'll use them for trade bait.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:54 pm

...hate to see the big three broken up this year...i've been a believer that keeping them together would pay dividends down the road...but I guess I was wrong...I just keep thinking that they will shake this bug and get it together in the last 1/3
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 pm

LACELTFAN wrote:...hate to see the big three broken up this year...i've been a believer that keeping them together would pay dividends down the road...but I guess I was wrong...I just keep thinking that they will shake this bug and get it together in the last 1/3

What you are now seeing is what you will get for the rest of the season. Frankly, its too bad we can't trade both Allen and Garnett, but KG is now damaged goods. I don't think he has much left in the tank. He isn't moving well, and hasn't moved well for over a year now. We aren't getting the whole story on him. Its time to look into dumping both of them for younger more athletic players.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:16 am

Just my opinion; way too early to be talking about dumping anyone in the starting five. Not to mention the financial decisions and their implications.

I'm more inclined to expect that if any changes come they will be bench related.

We're still in the top half-dozen in terms of overall record, and can probably hang with most in a seven-game-series as presently built. We still need time to see what most of this roster can do together.

Tony Allen, Scal, Williams, Walker, a draft pick or some combination in return for a capable backup point or rebounder to play with the second unit might make a lot more sense than trading Ray Allen.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:16 am

NYCelt wrote:Just my opinion; way too early to be talking about dumping anyone in the starting five. Not to mention the financial decisions and their implications.

I'm more inclined to expect that if any changes come they will be bench related.

We're still in the top half-dozen in terms of overall record, and can probably hang with most in a seven-game-series as presently built. We still need time to see what most of this roster can do together.

Tony Allen, Scal, Williams, Walker, a draft pick or some combination in return for a capable backup point or rebounder to play with the second unit might make a lot more sense than trading Ray Allen.

Regards

NYCelt,

Yeah, that. Nine days. Get somebody for this year and next. Hopefully the other reported trades are all subterfuge.

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down