+3
jeb
Jerry Tarkanian
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

RealGM Article Empty RealGM Article

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:35 pm

Article in realgm about the state of the Celtics, their chances of winning in 2010 and Danny's options approaching the trade deadline.

http://realgm.com/src_feature_pieces/863/20100209/danny_ainges_critical_juncture/

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

RealGM Article Empty Re: RealGM Article

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:58 pm

bob,

Appreciate the post, attachment speaks volumes. I'd agree with the author the Kings and Bulls are among our most attractive trade partners.

Thanks again,

Tark
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:06 pm

Bobheck

sobering stuff...but well written. I guess we will see.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:52 pm

One of the main weaknesses I see in the article is that it completely writes Garnett off.

Although he wasn't his old self, he was more than capable of giving us what we needed prior to the latest knee injury. If it was truly just a hyperextended knee, there is no reason he shouldn't at least be able to return to his early season form.

The article makes a valid point about rebuilding, but I think it's a little limited in its vision of how and when.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:57 pm

NYC

Garnett aint ever going to be what he was but I feel like the guy was beating on him a little heavy too. And I feel Garnett to the soles of his feet is LIVING to prove some of these choads wrong.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:58 pm

The greatest value I would find in the KG I've seen of late would be his ability to instill in others the Celtics Way; team basketball & defensive intensity, though on one leg he is extremely limited in providing such himself.

Given his mobility issues and propensity to aggravate whatever the injury really is............I tend to agree with the author. Looks a trifle more serious than a hyper extension.

If a trade IS deemed the way to ensure continued success, I'd appreciate the luxury of KG to show the new blood the way.

Tark
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:04 pm

Tark

So you think KG is done as a presence in the association?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:12 pm

Jeb,

I believe he is done as a difference maker in the athletic sense. He can be an adequate piece of a younger rotation and in limited minutes propel the defensive surges that make a team victorious. He can do this as essentially a coach on the floor.

His greatest contribution in that regard, in my opinion and I understand again I will be in the minority here, will be as a veteran presence teaching the nuances and showcasing the dedication necessary to excel in the league.
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:15 pm

Tark

I sure looks that way dont it? I gotta notion KG might heal up a bit and get better but I dont expect 07.

I also think he has sucha great brain specialy for d that he can still make a difference in the role you describe for him.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:23 pm

I don't think KG is done,but I wouldn't include him as an all star this year.What level will KG get back,that is the million dollar question???He can't explode for rebounds or score in traffic,hes trying,but hes human and his legs/knee are not the same.Were all rooting for KG,I thought as the season wore on he'd be getting stronger,sadly it seems hes doing alot less now than first quarter of season.Does he have any double-doubles this year?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:28 pm

cow

what if find alarming is he is not showing much evidence of health. It seems he should be building speed not losing it.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 pm

jeb
I know,sad and painful to watch,hope he gets it back.....right now hes got alot less in the tank than Duncan.I'm not too concerned about speed,he has no balance,I think thats throwing his jumping off.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:09 pm

I just want to see some flashes. A little hope. One athletic block.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:17 pm

There have been some flashes,a good block on a Gasol post up,got 9 boards recently....little glimmers here and there.Our interior D vs LA actually was better than has been lately,it kept us in game.Ray seems to have less in tank than KG.....so many times when we need him this year he has his shot and clank,clank,clank.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:27 pm

I think ray is playing waayyy too many minutes. He is MOVING great.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:05 pm

KG isn't the KG of '08. I'm not sure he'll ever be that again. Having said that, I think this article pounded him a bit hard. I remember when the indomitable Moses Malone was in his last season. He looked OLD (19 years in the league you'd look old too). KG doesn't look like that, not even close. He still inspires on defense, and that's good for the team's defensive mindset. He still plays hard on both ends of the court, and that's good for the team's mindset. He can still hit the 18 footer. He just doesn't scare the pants off of people now like he used to. Players will take a chance and take it to KG now while before they'd back off and reset. We've seen KG's conditioning improve since he's come back from his injury. If the improvement continues then this article's tone will look more and more like it was written by Chicken Little than Walter Cronkite. For right now, though, it's not completely out of touch with reality.

One thing we've seen with Danny of the past 5-6 years is that he's not afraid to pull the trigger. Another thing we've seen with Danny, over the course of his entire athletic career going back to BYU, is that he doesn't like to lose. He's has been quoted by a couple of sources as saying "I won't go back to the abyss". I wouldn't be surprised if the loss to Orlando was the breakpoint where Danny looked in the mirror and decided we can't win without some changes. I'm not saying we can't, although the evidence is suggesting it'd be tough, but I think he's thinking that. Let's face it, would Danny even be listening to offers for Ray Allen if he thought that the 3 Amigos were still the dominant combination they were when we won #17? I don't think he's down on Ray, I just think that Ray and his expiring contract are the best trade chip he's got. Like with Big Al. He loved Jefferson but he coveted KG and Al was the sugar in McHale's tea, and so Al Jefferson was shipped off to Celtics West. To quote Michael Corleone, "It's not personal (Sonny), it's strictly business".

I love Ray Allen. He's a poster boy for Celtics basketball and for the image of the game at-large. I was almost as excited when I heard he had been traded to the Celtics as I was when I heard we were getting KG (almost). A lot of BDC posters were down on his age and on the bone spur surgery he was coming off of and I joyfully dived into the midst of that and defended the trade. There is no doubt in my mind I have been proven right. He has always been a team player and a class act in the locker room and in society. I think his play has suffered because he's being pressed to do too much, and that's not his fault. In fact, his quiet acceptance of the added responsibilities only enhance his standing in my mind. But this isn't personal (Ray), it's strictly business.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:26 pm

What is BDC ?

Tark
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:27 pm

What is BDC ?

Tark
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:32 pm

No one has given up more for the team than Ray Allen. Who's fault is that?
I blame alot of this on Doc. I love Doc, I love the way he approaches the game, but, whenever he needed someone, it was always Ray who he took off the bench. He has run him ragged. 40 minutes the other day! Is that logical?? I know I am partial to Ray, his trade to Boston was the highlight of my last ten years of being a fan. I don't think I was this excited about watching a player since John Havlicek! I will admit that he may have lost a step or two, however, he runs around that floor like a madman, then gets the ball with four seconds left on the clock and everyone screams when he misses. Ray is more important to this team than alot of people are willing to admit. It is a shame that he is the scape goat here. I know, I know, $19 million dollars is alot of money and it is the biggest chip that Danny has.
However, unless there is a deal that is going to keep the Celtics going in a winning direction, I don't believe Danny will pull the trigger. He definitely will not take on a burdensome contract of some player who another team wants to be rid of. Only time will tell, I guess, until then, I, for one, will keep my fingers crossed that Danny decides to keep these three guys together for the rest of the season, at least, and see what will happen.
KG may not be what he was, but I am sure there are tons of teams out there who would love to have him. These guys deserve at least that. How much money has this team made from these three guys?????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Tark,

BDC refers to Boston.com, which is the message board on which many of us originally met. We left and started this board largely because of infestation by idiot Lakers trolls who had no objective but to disrupt the BDC board. That's why I have guaranteed that this board will be convivial and troll-free. Occasionally, there will be natural slippages in the conviviality due to the give-and-take of messaging; but I think the track record for freedom from trolls is pretty good.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:04 pm

Sam,

Appears you brought the right people with ya !

Thanks,

Tark
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down