Cleveland now dealing for Amare Stoudemire? & Rasheed Wallce a Bobcat?!

+5
bobheckler
willjr
Sam
gyso
Brandon$$
9 posters

Go down

Cleveland now dealing for Amare Stoudemire? & Rasheed Wallce a Bobcat?! Empty Cleveland now dealing for Amare Stoudemire? & Rasheed Wallce a Bobcat?!

Post by Brandon$$ Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:50 pm

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

According to multiple league sources, the Cavs have put their interest in forwards Troy Murphy and Antawn Jamison on the back burner for the moment and are getting serious about a higher-profile name, Phoenix Suns All-Star Amare Stoudemire. Cavs General Manager Danny Ferry and Suns General Manager Steve Kerr, former teammates and friends who have already collaborated on big deals, met this afternoon in Dallas. Suns owner Robert Sarver and Cavs owner Dan Gilbert are also in town and are on the labor relations committee that met. Sources indicate the Cavs, who first started talking to the Suns about their high-profile big man last month, are advancing talks to bring him to Cleveland. Cleveland Plain Dealer

Sources said the Cavs have advanced in discussions with the Pacers as well and could make a deal for Murphy if other deals fall thought. The Cavs still maintain an interest in Jamison and Yahoo! Sports is reporting they are competing with the Boston Celtics to trade for him. The Wizards, according to multiple reports, appear to be headed for their rebuilding as a deal to send forward Caron Butler to the Dallas Mavericks for guard Josh Howard may be getting close. But for now, it seems the Cavs have eyes for Stoudemire. It is a stunning situation considering Stoudemire didn't mesh with Shaquille O'Neal last season when both were with the Suns. He's averaging 21.2 points and 8.6 rebounds this season. He has one year at $17.6 million left on his contract but can opt out of it and become a free agent. Cleveland Plain Dealer
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What do you guys think? Does getting Amare make Cleveland better? Or will a front court of Stoudemire & O'Neal mess things up for them?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Charlotte coach Larry Brown is interested in the Celtics' Rasheed Wallace, according to a report in the Charlotte Observer. But Ainge said Wallace will not be dealt. Ainge said he does not expect any deals to be concluded until closer to Thursday's trade deadline. "It will probably heat up next week," Ainge said. Boston Globe

I haven't liked how Rasheed has played so far this season. He's posted up a bit in my opinion because i feel like he can live down low and every now and then catch the defense sleeping and slip out for a 3. Is trading Sheed a good option for us?
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Cleveland now dealing for Amare Stoudemire? & Rasheed Wallce a Bobcat?! Empty Re: Cleveland now dealing for Amare Stoudemire? & Rasheed Wallce a Bobcat?!

Post by gyso Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:51 am

Banks$ wrote:

I haven't liked how Rasheed has played so far this season. He's posted up a bit in my opinion because i feel like he can live down low and every now and then catch the defense sleeping and slip out for a 3. Is trading Sheed a good option for us?

Banks,

If we trade Sheed and we do not somehow trade for another player with length, we will be less. I still believe that Sheed is needed for his height. I still believe if we can get everyone back to the roles that were planned for them when the team was put together, we can make a run in the playoffs.

I believe we still need to make some changes before the deadline. Once that is done, it is up to Doc to make it work. We don't have all high cards, but if Doc plays out the hand correctly, we will have a good chance to still be playing well into June.

That works for me,

gyso

Last edited by gyso on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : them, not then)
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Cleveland now dealing for Amare Stoudemire? & Rasheed Wallce a Bobcat?! Empty Re: Cleveland now dealing for Amare Stoudemire? & Rasheed Wallce a Bobcat?!

Post by Sam Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:44 am

I couldn't agree more, gyso. The Celtics could actually use one more true big, not one less.

I realize people are down on Sheed. But I still believe he's in the "frontrunner" stage of his career. Not committed enough to buck a negative trend and become a pivotal figure in turning a team around; but capable of getting into the spirit of things once a turnaround occurs and the team has positive momentum.

It may say less about his character than about his self-interest in not being fingered as the weak link in a going venture. But I believe that's the way it may be.

I could easily rationalize giving up a "semi-big" such as Glen Davis in a flurry of trades if I knew one net addition would be—say—a true big like Jamison. But I haven't seen rumors about possibly getting any really tall guy I'd rather have than Sheed. Hawes? Maybe not.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:37 am

I personally would love for the Iguadala-dalembert for ray followed by sheed to charlotte for augustin scenario to work out. I think that those deals would not only allow us to compete this year but also give us a strong transition into the future; Rondo, Perk, Iggy, DJ, Baby, Quis, Dalembert would all be young, athletic guys who could grow together and give us a nice balance of speed and power to take advantage of how (thanks to Stern, Kobe and Lebron) the game is now officiated.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:42 am

According to reports in realgm, Danny is saying that Rasheed will not be dealt.

He also said that there is no deal imminent, that he expects things will heat up next week as we get closer to the Thursday trading deadline and that he still hopes to get something done.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:45 pm

I think Sheed gives s a good chance agin cleve, orlando and lakes.

Man this is such a strange time aint it? Not knowing what the team will be.

I am in limbo...i just got this feeling that nobody gets traded and they roll with what they got. It will have to be a real good thing for danny to do it..
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:48 pm

gyso: If these guys are playing into June, it won't be in the NBA Playoffs. It'll be in a Summer league somewhere. All our cards are gone. We only are left with a pair of Jokers: Ainge & Rivers!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:01 pm

Willjr,

Good to see you on the board.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:08 pm

Sam wrote:I couldn't agree more, gyso. The Celtics could actually use one more true big, not one less.

I realize people are down on Sheed. But I still believe he's in the "frontrunner" stage of his career. Not committed enough to buck a negative trend and become a pivotal figure in turning a team around; but capable of getting into the spirit of things once a turnaround occurs and the team has positive momentum.

It may say less about his character than about his self-interest in not being fingered as the weak link in a going venture. But I believe that's the way it may be.

I could easily rationalize giving up a "semi-big" such as Glen Davis in a flurry of trades if I knew one net addition would be—say—a true big like Jamison. But I haven't seen rumors about possibly getting any really tall guy I'd rather have than Sheed. Hawes? Maybe not.

Sam

Both Davis and Jamison are listed at 6-9. I am not sure why you would categorize Davis as a "semi-big". That said, I'd take Jamison, of course, over Davis, if we could get him.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:49 pm

Pumpsie Green wrote:
Sam wrote:I couldn't agree more, gyso. The Celtics could actually use one more true big, not one less.

Sam

Both Davis and Jamison are listed at 6-9. I am not sure why you would categorize Davis as a "semi-big". That said, I'd take Jamison, of course, over Davis, if we could get him.

pumpsie,

Neither one of them are 6-9. They're both about 6-7. Jamison is 10 years older, but a better player now. Jamison can play 4, but he's not really built for it. Davis can play 5, but he's not really built for that either. So, comparing them (in a very general position-by-position way): Jamison is a 3/4 while Davis is a 4/5 with both leaning towards the smaller position. If we were to trade Ray and Scal, where would we be thinner? At SF/PF or at PF/C?

For what it's worth, though, it doesn't look like this deal's going to happen anyway.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:18 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Pumpsie Green wrote:

Sam

pumpsie,

Neither one of them are 6-9. They're both about 6-7. Jamison is 10 years older, but a better player now. Jamison can play 4, but he's not really built for it. Davis can play 5, but he's not really built for that either. So, comparing them (in a very general position-by-position way): Jamison is a 3/4 while Davis is a 4/5 with both leaning towards the smaller position. If we were to trade Ray and Scal, where would we be thinner? At SF/PF or at PF/C?

For what it's worth, though, it doesn't look like this deal's going to happen anyway.

bob

Here are the links I used to get that information:
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/antawn_jamison/

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/glen_davis/index.html

I am not a Scalabrine fan, so I don't really think that losing him is a big deal.
Davis is not a decent center; he is a power forward. And I think that Jamison is not a power forward; he is a SF. Even if they are the same height, either 6-7 or 6-9. Its not one's height that seems that determines who plays "big"; its their style of play.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Davis is not an inch over 6' 7" but is the beneficiary of the exaggerated reports that benefit that many players (often at the urging of agents). Moreover, in Davis' case, he has very little jumping ability, which exacerbates his lack of height. That's why he qualifies as a "semi-big." Earlier this year, I had been hoping they'd give him a shot at playing small forward, but that's obviously not going to happen. Davis' vertical challenges are the main reason why he probably has more shots blocked per minute than any other Celtics player with the possible exception of Perk (who also has no hops).

Edited addition: For example, I just went back through the Celtics' last eight games; and, of the shots the Celtics have had blocked, Glen Davis took 25% of them.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:59 pm

I feel the Magic and New Orleans games shook Ainge and Rivers to the CORE. Until then I feel they actually believed the players COULD actually right the ship. Now they KNOW this ship is going NOWHERE without some RENOVATING.

I feel they will do what is right for the Celtics in the future, not just this year. They both will be aboard next year and the year after. They will not jeopardize the future for this year. The chances they can turn this thing around before playoffs is almost "0", and matters probably won't get a whole lot worse. They seem to have lost this team and with all the free agents available in off-season, they may just sit tight. Wallace may be much more valuable to themafter season is over. In the off-season, however, look for the majority of the roster to turn over.

If Tom Izzo coached this team you would hear what Ainge and Rivers are thinking!! As it is, you may have to wait for the for the season mercifully ends.

Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:13 pm

If the Cavs get Amare for an ancient Ilgauskas and a couple of spare parts, they are going to be extremely tough.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:18 pm

bobheck

Hickson is not a spare part. He MAKES their otherwise decrepit front line athletic and is winning them games.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:03 pm

Don't kid yourself, Jeb. Stoudemire will help the Cavs greatly offensively. He runs the court very well' Add another 2 - 3 assists for James. This would put the Cavs over the top, unless teams like the Celtics make similiar moves(s).

Shaq would have additional room down low.

The negatives of Stoudemire are defense and rebounding. The Cavs have a team defense that will cover those shortcomings!! Not good news for Celtics if it happens.

Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:44 pm

Sdcelt

Amare would help them big time. But Hickson IS HELPING them big time and they risk screwing up very good current chemistry.

Amare is also very very injury prone.

Inregards to shaq having room down low. It damn sure didnt play out like that in the valley of the suns last year.

I think it very well could put the Cavs over the top...but could also hurt em. I'd take a wait and see attitude.

It also indicates to me that they dont feel sure they can win it without a move...having won 13 in a row. Go figure.

Best regards

Jeb

Also...didnt mean to disparage amare...like him. Just every game I have seen the Cavs play (including the last one agin the mag) Hickson has been right in the mix doing good things.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:45 pm

The Cavs want to give James another reason to stay. Also, if James leaves, the Cavs have Stoudemire on roster.

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:20 pm

Yup. exactly.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down