dbrown4
cowens/oldschool
steve3344
RosalieTCeltics
Sam
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

MVP (Most Valuable Poster) of Sam's Celtics forum for 2015 Empty MVP (Most Valuable Poster) of Sam's Celtics forum for 2015

Post by Sam Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:51 am

Each spring since 2008 (in the BDC days), I've been giving an award for the most valuable poster of the board.  Although there are scores of candidates every year, I've tried to select one whose contributions during the previous 12 months have been particularly noteworthy.  

Previous winners have been:

2008 Beat
2009 Matty
2010 gyso
2011 Bob Heckler
2012 112288
2013 Rosalie
2014 Outside

The selection has been a very subjective process.  I'd prefer that it become more inclusive by having the entire board vote.

When we vote for election to our Hall of Fame, we utilize multiple layers of nominations and voting.  I'd like to make the process for the MVP vote much simpler.

If you would like to nominate someone for the honor of Most Valuable Poster of this forum, simply send me a Private Message with the name of your nominee.  (Just send it to "Sam.")  The person with the most nominations will be designated the MVP of this forum for 2015.  Please limit your nomination to just one person.  If you submit more than one name, only the first listed person will be counted.  Please do not post the name of your nominee publicly, such as on this thread.  After I've posted a few reminders to vote and the returns have wound down, I'll post the name of the winner.

Thanks for your participation, and Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

MVP (Most Valuable Poster) of Sam's Celtics forum for 2015 Empty Re: MVP (Most Valuable Poster) of Sam's Celtics forum for 2015

Post by Sam Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:47 pm

Bump
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

MVP (Most Valuable Poster) of Sam's Celtics forum for 2015 Empty Re: MVP (Most Valuable Poster) of Sam's Celtics forum for 2015

Post by Sam Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:50 pm

I should have specified that the same person cannot become the MVP twice.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:09 pm

I do not need to private message you Sam, my vote goes to Berlin What a devoted Celtic fan we have here. It is so enjoyable to turn to Game On and see that he is there, whether it is for a quarter, half, or sometimes luckily, the whole game.

So.....Berlin it is for me!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:54 pm

Thanks, Rosalie.  I'll record it.  The reason i asked for Private Messages is that I didn't want this to be a public process.  Sometimes, I think people can be influenced by the way they see people voting.

But, no big deal.  Thanks again for your vote.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:48 pm

I nominate... sam.

And don't say you're ineligible. That argument don't wash.

And sorry for this not being a private message because the choice is so obvious.

Take your damn bow. Now go sit down and start posting again.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Good call Steve

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:36 pm

Steve,

Many thanks; but, in fact, I choose to be ineligible for the same reason I felt I should be ineligible for our Hall of Fame.  I gave in on that one, but one is all you get.  My feeling is that I don't want to be the kid who blocks other kids from playing in the ball game because he owns the bat.

The board has gone far, far beyond my wildest dreams, especially when it's compared with typical message boards.  It's a forum on which people freely express their regard for one another.  It's a forum that avoids one of my pet peeves—a scarcity complex—whereby the main way one member can feel satisfied is at the expense of another member.  My wife and I frequently talk (still at the amazement stage) about the number of wonderful people with whom we've become friends because of the board.  On the board, we've collectively talked one treasured member through his death.  I recall corresponding with dboss when his mother passed away.  In some ways, it has been as much a support group as a sports message board.  Sally and I love to explore other cultures; and a particular source of gratification has been the membership of people hailing from other than the United States mainland.  And the scores of private messages that members will never see have taken me through the entire range of emotions.  

I just finished writing my memoirs for the umpteenth time.  (I'm beginning to think I'm going to outlive the memoirs.)  I listed this forum as one of the four ways in which I feel I've upheld my favorite motto (it's going to be engraved on my tombstone): "To take a stand and make a mark."  (It's from the Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes.)

I feel this award is intended for people who, day in and day out, make this forum a better place by posting their opinions, insights, discoveries, questions, concerns, etc. It's intended to take a special time out to let them know how appreciative we are for efforts that might seem routine to them.  You have to realize that this form has turned out to be one of the most rewarding elements in my life—ever!

I believe deserving people should feel appreciated.  I feel appreciated every day that so many super people take the time and energy to post on this board.  In fact, in that regard, my cup definitely runneth over.

So, again, thanks for giving me yet one more such moment.  But let's reserve this award for the rank-and-file posters who make this forum what it is.

Thanks again,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:45 pm

"...this award is intended for people who, day in and day out, make this forum a better place by posting their opinions, insights, discoveries, questions, concerns, etc." says sam.

And I agree with the above comment. The rank and file can wait til 2016 to resume getting their bouquets.

This year it's yours. If you don't accept it I'm going to put my snowboots on, come to your neighborhood and smack you around.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:30 pm

Sam I nominate you, lets have a public/forum vote, thats the only fair way to do it?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:51 pm

Sam,

I believe a speak for the whole board in that we all respect your views on the annual MVP and we will all lay down our guns and agree to never bring this up again if you agree to the following terroristic demands:

1) Accept the 2015 MVP Honorary award.
2) Accept the 2015 MVP Honorary award graciously.

Remember, without you, there would be no Sam's Celtic Forum. Let me repeat that. Without you, there would be no Sam's Celtic forum. As a matter of fact, without you we would still be back at BDC flopping around like flounders watching Bob Heckler shred completely deserving posters to tears!

We promise not to bring this up again or elect you again next year and break the rules so you can have back-to-back MVP's!

My vote is for Sam as well. Thank you for all that you have done for this site to make it a great place to call home.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:02 pm

steve3344 wrote:"...this award is intended for people who, day in and day out, make this forum a better place by posting their opinions, insights, discoveries, questions, concerns, etc." says sam.

And I agree with the above comment.  The rank and file can wait til 2016 to resume getting their bouquets.  

This year it's yours.  If you don't accept it I'm going to put my snowboots on, come to your neighborhood and smack you around.

Steve I agree! Let me know when you are heading to Sam's neighborhood I'll join you.

Sam, you are the man!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:28 pm

bobc I'll join you if you make some cheesecake....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:40 pm

I nominate Sam because without him I would not be on this forum and he is a great writer with a wealth of knowledge on both a historic level as well as a contemporary level and he is a longtime Celtics fan and he has been an MVP poster not just for the past 12 months but from inception.

There is NO question or debate needed here.

Sam you are the MVP and that is it.  Count the ballots!

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:31 pm

Sam

being you're a little older than me... you remember the ED SULLIVAN show I am sure, Well the show was named after who?

Well what the hell is the name of this forum...It isn't the ED SULLIVAN FORUM!!  

And one last thing

JEB would agree with ALL OF US ..

take the honor.....take a bow............and keep on posting !!

beat

Last edited by beat on Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:34 pm

I'm smelling a landslide.

Berlin, we love you but you're gonna have to wait til next year!

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:53 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:bobc I'll join you if you make some cheesecake....

Cow Rosalie will make the cheesecake and it will be superb. Trust me you don't want to eat anything I cook or bake.......

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:45 pm

I hate to be thought of as a bandwagoner but some bandwagons are worth jumping on with both feet. I spell M-V-P S-A-M!
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:47 pm

Seriously, guys, I'm the one who created this award, and I've administered it myself over the years.  The reason was basically a selfish one—to have the opportunity to display my personal appreciation to members in a small but tangible way.

At this juncture, I would be EXTREMELY dismayed if I were not able to keep showing that personal appreciation.  For that same selfish reason, I still want to be the one who presents the award.  And I'm totally disinterested in presenting it to myself.  TOTALLY!  I had thought that opening the selection process to the entire board would objectify it.  And, over the past year, I've been carefully trying to ensure that the board will continue to operate seamlessly when I'm no longer available for one reason or another.  (I hope that won't be the reality for a while, but I believe in being prepared.)

I don't mean to be ungracious.  But you might have noticed how tenacious I can be when I believe I'm right about something.  Well none of that has scratched the surface of truly stubborn I can be.  I realize how sincere you are in your offer.  But I ask that you please be gracious in respecting my wishes on this matter.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

We already have several fine candidates.  If necessary, I can just pick a winner from the relatively few nominations we have.  But I'd deem it a favor if many more of you could be heard from via Private Message—NOT on public posts.  And, unfortunately, any nomination that involves my name will have to be set aside.  Thank you so much.

However, Steve, if you want to gather a gang to come over and slap me around, that could get kinky.  Bring shovels.

All the best, and thanks again for respecting my wishes.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:08 pm

I know I publicly nominated Berlin, and still feel he is a most important member of this forum, but, after reading all of the posts of
all of the other members, I have to agree. Sam...you are, without a doubt, the most valuable member of this forum. Many of us can say that we would not be a member of this forum if not for you. When I sit back and think to all of the times we posted, along with so many others, on BDC and were ridiculed and laughed at.

You are a CELTIC, thru and thru. Your knowledge has brought so much banter back and forth with all of us, without you, we a bunch of crazy Celtic fans who were totally frustrated with the conversation, or lack thereof, before this forum.

You are a leader, a historian, a guiding force here. But, most of all,, you are a dear friend to all of us. A dying Jeb, who trusted you with his soul, members who have shared the loss of a loved one with you, and myself, sometimes so sick I did not know that a wonderful friend had show so much caring while I was finding my way through all of my illnesses. I speak of you and all the others here as true friends.

So, I am amending my request to have Berlin receive this award, and I am sure he will understand why, to make sure that you realize just what you mean to all of us. Accept it quietly Sam, you are outnumbered!!!!!

And Berlin, I still think you a a most important poster. When you are on line with us, you make us realize how far the Boston Celtics have reached in popularity. I am sure you will agree with all of us that Sam MUST accept this award . I love you both.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:19 pm

Rosalie,

I have to confess that your eloquence brought me to tears.  Thank you so much for your most generous words.  They mean far more than any award could.

But I'm going to have to stick to my guns on this one.  Your nomination will remain, along with the others already expressed.  And I hope we'll receive a lot more in order to underscore the importance of the award as we present it to the winner.

Thanks again for making me teary.  And you might want to go over and post on the Sam Jones Congratulation Thread.

All the best to you and Bill,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:20 pm

sam - I hope you realize you're going against the wishes of I bet virtually the entire board on this when you should be letting us honor you in this way.  This decision of yours is so one-sided it's starting to feel like NATO vs Vladimir Putin.  Don't be a spoil sport.

Be a good sport.  The masses have spoken.  And spoken.  And spoken.

We will not be denied!  We want to give you your due.  Deal with it.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:57 pm

Sam you should graciously accept this award, because

1 Your outnumbered

2 Someone promised me some home baked cheescake if you accept

3 You defend the Russell Celtics with objectivity, passion and depth

4 Your favorite team and mine was the Hondo/Cowens Celtics

5 Jackie Mac knows you

6 You've hung out with Sam and Gladys Jones alot

7 You had the rare ability to finesse your way into Celtic practices

8 You were on a plane with the 69 team for game 7 the balloon game

9 You still have confidence in Danny Ainge

10 Did I mention you are outnumbered?

For all these rare Celtic accomplishments, how can you not take one tiny MVP award from the team you created....at this point the award will lose significance if you don't take it, kind of like the all star game.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:29 am

Steve and Cowens,

Whenever confronted with a group opinion that's different from mine, I make it a point to consider the group opinion very seriously.  And then I make up my own mind.   The majority doesn't always rule.  As Abe Lincoln once said when his cabinet unanimously voted against him on an issue, "That's 12 ayes and one nay.  The nays have it."

Since this originated as my personal award, I reserve the right to set the ground rules for it, although I feel it appropriate to open up the actual voting to everyone.  One of the ground rules is that I'm not eligible.  I've never before had to publicize that ground rule because I was the only voter and was never about to vote for myself.

I hope everyone will accept my thanks and respect my wishes.  Thanks to all.  The best way you can reward me is to proceed with the nominations of people other than me.

Thanks again,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:22 am

Sam

And what happened to Lincoln?

Jeb would want this for you

that alone should be enough

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next