dbrown4
cowens/oldschool
steve3344
RosalieTCeltics
Sam
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

MVP (Most Valuable Poster) of Sam's Celtics forum for 2015 - Page 2 Empty Re: MVP (Most Valuable Poster) of Sam's Celtics forum for 2015

Post by Sam Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:55 am

Beat,

I believe Jeb would have respected my wishes.  It would mean FAR more to me if people would use some of this energy to get behind my efforts to send Sam Jones a congratulatory messages on the retirement of his college jersey.  The title of the thread for doing so is, "Optional Thread for Congratulating Sam Jones on the Retirement of his College Jersey."

Thanks,

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

MVP (Most Valuable Poster) of Sam's Celtics forum for 2015 - Page 2 Empty Re: MVP (Most Valuable Poster) of Sam's Celtics forum for 2015

Post by international Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:36 am

My vote is for Sam.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:28 pm

Thanks, International.  But I have to promise you and everyone else that it's just not going to happen.  It's not what I want.

I wish that, instead, people would post on the thread to congratulate Sam Jones.  That's what I do want.  If people are sincere about making me feel good, shouldn't it be meaningful on my terms?

Please, everybody, go to the Sam Jones thread and leave a message for Sam.  Consider that my award.  I don't need any award to realize that people enjoy this forum.  I'm reminded of that every day.

Thank you so much.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:49 pm

I voted via pm like Sam asked.

I am now publicly repudiating my vote and changing my vote to SAM!

You don't like it, Sam?  Well, heavy is the head that wears the crown.  Personally, I find it ironic and quite amusing that you are refusing it because you want this forum to be run like a democracy and yet are refusing to accept the clear, unambiguous and overwhelming choice of the people.

You want to be the one to present the award?  Why is that?  It's because this forum was formed and chartered by you, the award was created by you so you are the logical person to manage it.  Right?  Well, you can't be the central, consistently guiding force here and then claim you're somehow "just another guy".  Your posts are subject to the same critical review that mine and everybody else's are but that is where things diverge.

The finals MVP trophy is called the Bill Russell Award.  Why?  Because nobody embodied that more than him.  He was the obvious choice.  

The John Wooden Award is given to the best college basketball player.  Why Wooden?  Because nobody embodied excellence in college basketball programs like him.  He was the obvious choice.

Cy Young, Amos Alonzo Stagg, John Heisman, Fred Biletnikoff, Dick Butkus are just some of the people who have had awards named after them because they were the gold standard for that award's particular area of focus.  That's the way it works.  You find someone who is the best at something and then you use them as the paradigm all subsequent recipients should model themselves after.

By your own admission, right there at the top of this page, it's called the Most Valuable Poster of SAM'S Celtic Forum.  In fact, your not already not having been given that award is like not inducting Dr. Naismith into the Naismith Hall of Fame.  It is an oversight whose time for correction has come.

Smile (not that we can see you), say 'thanks' (that we can see), accept the award with grace and do what Steve has said you should do and get back to posting, Dr. Naismith.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:23 pm

APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE,APPLAUSE........LIKE I SAID, JUST ACCEPT IT AND LET'S MOVE ON TO THE REST OF THE SEASON. IT IS EITHER THAT, OR WE WILL MAKE YOU GENERAL, GENERAL MANAGER OF THE CELTICS OVER DANNY.

LOVE
ROSALIE
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:41 pm

No, not Sam for the MVP!!

Not because he probably does not deserve such an award, but rather because he is one of the few people who have done something for the rest of us that has come to be more important to him than any personal recognition.

Sam's almost daily contributions help this fine board stay clear and concise. He is certainly a Cs fan and brings many great ideas and comments.   His roll of moderator keeps the language clean and the topics more important than any personal arguments that you see on so many other similar (but not as good) boards.  He even brings some humor every once in a while.

So, Sam, we appreciate your efforts and contributions, but as you wish you should not be the board's MVP.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by international Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:17 pm

My vote for second in the MVP is for Bobheckler,he does a great job.

international

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:51 pm

Thanks, one again (hopefully for the last time) for all the support.  When I (along with several others) started this forum, I took on a commitment.  I've tried to discharge this commitment as best I could.  All of a sudden, in our fifth year, I'm MVP?  What, did I do a sucky job the first four years?  And that's just the point. Running this board has some of the same elements as a job.  You just go along and do it because it's your commitment.  Nothing more, nothing less.

I've basically tried to say the same thing, now, over multiple posts.  Please read carefully.  I am unequivocally not changing my mind.  I'm not ungracious.  I appreciate all the nice comments.  But it's almost as if this has become a game.  See who's the one who can make Sam budge.  The game just makes me all the more determined not to budge.

I'd be much happier if people would private message me with names other than my own as nominees for the MVP award.  And also go to Sam Jones' thread and write a nice message to Sam.

That's what I really, really, really want.

Thanks.

And thanks to Clyde for trying to stem the tide.

International, no one can win the award twice, and Bob Heckler very justifiably won in 2011. A list of previous winners appears at the beginning of this thread.  But you're right that Bob Heckler does a great job.

Thanks again, everyone.  Onward.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:07 pm

I am done, if it is your wish, then we should follow it. I just want you to know how much I (we) appreciate all that you have done for all of us.

On to the next subject!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:16 pm

Rosalie,

No more than I appreciate all you do for the board just by your presence, your enthusiasm, your love of the Celtics, your knowledge, and your even demeanor.  You are a remarkable person, no question about it.  You were the 2013 winner of this award, and it was richly deserved.  I hope to see you early in April, as I'm working on hatching up another get-together and game attendance.  I'll be announcing it as soon as I speak with the Celtics guy on Monday.

And thanks so much for understanding.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

This thread has reminded me again (as if I needed to be) why I love this forum and my forum family. Rosalie's eloquent and beautiful plea to Sam was so moving it nearly brought me to tears, Beat's post had me laughing maniacally. This is a special place to be and a special group of people. I don't know who our Most Valuable Poster will be but I do know that the Most Wonderful Poster would end in about a 50 way tie for first with no one voting for themselves. It is my pleasure and extreme good fortune to be associated and acquainted with such a great group of people.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:46 pm

Stubborn Slippery Sam, face it. You're just gonna have to take one for the good of the team. Next year think of how much fun you'll have passing on the MVP award.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:56 pm

worcester wrote:Stubborn Slippery Sam, face it. You're just gonna have to take one for the good of the team. Next year think of how much fun you'll have passing on the MVP award.

And remember sam, after you accept it this year you will never have to deal with this again because, as you have specified, no one can win it twice. But you NEVER specified that we couldn't vote for you. You just assumed it and you assumed wrong. It's RIDICULOUS this award has never gone to you (especially since it's something WE are voting on) and after you accept it this year you can go back to what you do best - deflecting praise for your incredible daily contributions here since its inception. Time to take your bow and go along with the board's wishes. You only have to do it this one time! It's like a measles vaccination. It only hurts once.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Sam, William Tecumseh Sherman already gave this speech:
"If nominated I will not run. If elected I will not serve."

Time to be original and graciously accept this wreath of laurel. After all, you are our sports writer laureate.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:15 am

Hey guys, it's over.  It's over.  Not happening.  Period.  End of story!  I mean it!
Thanks anyway.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:24 am

Sam, I've had a wife say the exact same things to me, but guess what? We went to marriage counseling, and...she left me anyways. So I get it. You're not acceping the award.

Cast my ballot for Cowens.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:36 am

Worcester,

Thanks.  I'll record your nomination.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:56 am

sam wrote:Hey guys, it's over.  It's over.  Not happening.  Period.  End of story!  I mean it!
Thanks anyway.

Sam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVdG09fQ8Ek

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:43 am

worse steve

Come on you guys gotta be stronger than that, whoever wins can reject the award like Sam is attempting to do too....just sayin.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:16 pm

I wandered the desert of Internet forums for years, looking for a place where I could have civil discussions about NBA basketball with other knowledgeable people. I stumbled onto the BDC forum during the Celtics' 2007-08 title run and found at least some people who were knowledgeable and civil. When Sam decided to host his own party and leave the riff-raff behind, I jumped at the chance to join. There may be other forums out there that would fit the bill, but I've stopped looking because I found what I need.

All this is due to Sam. He sets the tone for discussion -- thou shalt be convivial -- doesn't allow disagreements to get personal, and makes it a place where people can become friends with get-togethers and events. He has created a place where a non-green-blooded fan like myself can still be welcomed. He has set aside his own desires to be just another poster in the group to perform his duties as moderator. I have a deep respect for what he has done here.

Like others have expressed, I also think Sam should be given every recognition available regarding this forum, but I also want to respect the man's wishes. Sam is obviously the most valuable poster in the forum's history, but the annual Most Valuable Poster is his award that he gives to recognize other posters who has distinguished themselves. We can honor Sam in many ways, and in this case, I think we can honor him by allowing him to give the award in the way he likes.

Besides, the time to have an insurrection was last year, when Sam gave the award to some bozo who doesn't even bleed green. There are worthy candidates this year, and we should devote our attention to them.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2