Optional Thread for Congratulating Sam Jones on the Retirement of his College Jersey

+4
RosalieTCeltics
Berlin-T
Matty
Sam
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Optional Thread for Congratulating Sam Jones on the Retirement of his College Jersey - Page 2 Empty Re: Optional Thread for Congratulating Sam Jones on the Retirement of his College Jersey

Post by Sam Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:49 am

Now that so many people have been so eloquent in congratulating Sam, I realize it's time for me to take a stab at a way to tie it all together and present it to Sam.  Frankly, just about anything I can say will pale compared to the masterpieces you have contributed.  Anyway, here goes.....

Hi Sam and Gladys,

It was a great pleasure to read about Sam’s richly deserved double honors from NCCU and the State of North Carolina.  To say that Sam Jones is a favorite son is, of course, a huge understatement. 

Somehow it doesn’t seem fitting to allow the occasion to pass without adding my two cents worth, considering all that both of you have meant to me.  It’s been a long time since that sad spring day in 1967 when I put that bottle of champagne on your doorstep with a note, “To a real champion.”  Followed, when I learned that you didn’t drink, by the giant coke bottle episode.  (I’ll never forget the stares I got on Storrow Drive as I drove my Mustang Hatchback along with that huge display bottle sticking out the window.)

There’s no question that I only got to meet you because Sam played basketball—really, really, really well.  But it took no time at all for my deep regard for both of you to ripen into respect and love for Sam and Gladys the people.  Through all the times at your house, riding around Sharon, visiting the Ames Estate, playing golf, just plain chatting in person or on the phone, the L.A. trip for the “Balloon Game,” your retirement ceremonies at Boston Garden and in Sharon, having fun with your children at my house as you packed for your move south, and visiting you with Sally, I’ve never had a more meaningful pair of friends.

However,as I thought about how to salute you at this time, I realized I needed reinforcements.  So I turned to the Celtics computer message board that I established going on five years ago.  It’s called “Sam’s Celtics Forum” in honor of you, and I’m sure you’ll remember your kind and generous call to Rosalie, our only female member who was recovering from serious illness and is now doing quite well.

On the message board forum, we basically talk to one another via computer about subjects that are usually, but not always, about basketball.  We have developed such friendships and camaraderie over the years that the conversation sometimes transcends basketball and the forum becomes almost more of a support group.  We talked one member named Jeb through his deterioration and eventual death (we really miss him), and our conversations often drift into what’s happening in our personal lives, our vacation trips, and challenges we’re facing.  Many personal friendships have emerged from the forum, and we’ve had a number of board get-togethers from Boston to New York, Florida and San Francisco.  In addition to representation from all over the U.S., members live as far away as Germany, Sweden, the Philippines, and Japan.

Anyway, I adopted the board name “Sam” (again in honor of you), and I haven’t been bashful in acquainting members with the virtues of Sam’s Celtics teams and both of you.  Some of the “veteran” members of the board had the opportunity to see Sam play, but many have learned about you guys primarily through our message board.

Anyway, it was decided that we should congratulate you as a group on your dual honors, and many members wrote personal notes of congratulations to you.  I’m enclosing a few so you can see for yourselves how highly Sam is regarded.  You’ll see the name “Sam” throughout the writings.  Sometimes they mean Sam Jones, and sometimes they mean my adopted board name.  Sorry about any confusion.

Not much news here.  We’re selling the Deck House.  And Sally’s still walking backwards down stairs as you taught her.  We look forward to an opportunity to say hello in person when we pass through—later this year or early next year.  In the meantime, Sally and I wish you all the best and send our love.

Following are some of the congratulatory message from board members.

(Note: I'll be including all the messages.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Optional Thread for Congratulating Sam Jones on the Retirement of his College Jersey - Page 2 Empty Re: Optional Thread for Congratulating Sam Jones on the Retirement of his College Jersey

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:39 am

sam wrote:Now that so many people have been so eloquent in congratulating Sam, I realize it's time for me to take a stab at a way to tie it all together and present it to Sam.  Frankly, just about anything I can say will pale compared to the masterpieces you have contributed.  Anyway, here goes.....

Hi Sam and Gladys,

It was a great pleasure to read about Sam’s richly deserved double honors from NCCU and the State of North Carolina.  To say that Sam Jones is a favorite son is, of course, a huge understatement. 

Somehow it doesn’t seem fitting to allow the occasion to pass without adding my two cents worth, considering all that both of you have meant to me.  It’s been a long time since that sad spring day in 1967 when I put that bottle of champagne on your doorstep with a note, “To a real champion.”  Followed, when I learned that you didn’t drink, by the giant coke bottle episode.  (I’ll never forget the stares I got on Storrow Drive as I drove my Mustang Hatchback along with that huge display bottle sticking out the window.)

There’s no question that I only got to meet you because Sam played basketball—really, really, really well.  But it took no time at all for my deep regard for both of you to ripen into respect and love for Sam and Gladys the people.  Through all the times at your house, riding around Sharon, visiting the Ames Estate, playing golf, just plain chatting in person or on the phone, the L.A. trip for the “Balloon Game,” your retirement ceremonies at Boston Garden and in Sharon, having fun with your children at my house as you packed for your move south, and visiting you with Sally, I’ve never had a more meaningful pair of friends.

However,as I thought about how to salute you at this time, I realized I needed reinforcements.  So I turned to the Celtics computer message board that I established going on five years ago.  It’s called “Sam’s Celtics Forum” in honor of you, and I’m sure you’ll remember your kind and generous call to Rosalie, our only female member who was recovering from serious illness and is now doing quite well.

On the message board forum, we basically talk to one another via computer about subjects that are usually, but not always, about basketball.  We have developed such friendships and camaraderie over the years that the conversation sometimes transcends basketball and the forum becomes almost more of a support group.  We talked one member named Jeb through his deterioration and eventual death (we really miss him), and our conversations often drift into what’s happening in our personal lives, our vacation trips, and challenges we’re facing.  Many personal friendships have emerged from the forum, and we’ve had a number of board get-togethers from Boston to New York, Florida and San Francisco.  In addition to representation from all over the U.S., members live as far away as Germany, Sweden, the Philippines, and Japan.

Anyway, I adopted the board name “Sam” (again in honor of you), and I haven’t been bashful in acquainting members with the virtues of Sam’s Celtics teams and both of you.  Some of the “veteran” members of the board had the opportunity to see Sam play, but many have learned about you guys primarily through our message board.

Anyway, it was decided that we should congratulate you as a group on your dual honors, and many members wrote personal notes of congratulations to you.  I’m enclosing a few so you can see for yourselves how highly Sam is regarded.  You’ll see the name “Sam” throughout the writings.  Sometimes they mean Sam Jones, and sometimes they mean my adopted board name.  Sorry about any confusion.

Not much news here.  We’re selling the Deck House.  And Sally’s still walking backwards down stairs as you taught her.  We look forward to an opportunity to say hello in person when we pass through—later this year or early next year.  In the meantime, Sally and I wish you all the best and send our love.

Following are some of the congratulatory message from board members.

(Note: I'll be including all the messages.)

Sam

sam,

How about getting him to register and becoming a board member? That way, not only will he be able to read the letters himself, he'll be able to provide us with irreplaceable knowledge and insight into the game and what the players are going through.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:12 am

BobH,

Thanks for the idea.  But one secret of being friendly with someone like Sam is to help shield him from people who want something from him because of his former basketball connection rather than to become one of them.  It's obvious what he could do for the board; but the wonderful tributes in this thread probably represent the most the board could do for him.

His life these days mostly revolves around family and non-basketball friends.  The last time we visited his house, I don't think we mentioned basketball other than looking through the house, including his trophy room.  But we spent between one and two hours poring through his family photo albums.  He seldom watches Celtics games, although Gladys does.  And he has some pretty substantial health problems.

I've always regarded life around Celtics and Red Sox players pretty much like Brad's basketball systems with the Celtics: read and react.  And most of the reacting means leaving sports on the periphery (unless they bring it up) and focusing our interaction primarily on their lives as people.

But thanks again for the idea.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:00 am

I'm about to wrap up the Sam Jones letter thread and mail all the entries to Sam.  I'll leave it up until mid-afternoon today (EST) in case anyone wants to make a last-minute addition.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Not sure if Mr. Jones was watching yesterday's Bulls/Thunder game but if he was he would have gotten a kick out of one of Hubie Brown's comments.  With 7:15 left in the game Russell Westbrook made a spectacular running bank shot to give OKC an 83-82 lead and Hubie remarked, "I saw that shot go in and I said 'Like Sam Jones back in the days of the Boston Celtics!'"

Hope the Celtic legend was watching at that moment as he would no doubt have broken out in a huge grin (as would our sam if he also had been).

I hope he caught that moment from Hubie as he deserves all the accolades and mentions as any of the all-time greats for what he contributed to the Celtics and to the game overall.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Steve, I'm sure Sam would appreciate your comments too.  He seldom watches NBA games on television, leaving that to his wife, Gladys.  I've never second-guessed him on that quirk (or on much of everything), but he seems to be a man who's constantly overjoyed with what life has brought to his doorstep, and any additional satisfaction would be redundant.

Thanks for contributing.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2