Five Reasons For The Celtics' Recent Success

+3
BaronV
Sloopjohnb
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Five Reasons For The Celtics' Recent Success Empty Five Reasons For The Celtics' Recent Success

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:20 pm

Five reasons for Celtics recent success
March 17, 2015, 12:30 pm

Five Reasons For The Celtics' Recent Success Byline-blakely

BOSTON – The hottest team in the Eastern Conference right now is the Boston Celtics (30-36), winners of five in a row and currently in a three-way tie for the final two playoff spots with Indiana and Miami.

The building up of this team into a playoff contender can be broken down on many levels.

But here we’ll give you five reasons for the team’s success of late:

1. Brad Stevens

He has been the model of consistency for the Celtics, never getting too high after big wins or too down in the dumps after disappointing losses. That said, Stevens has had a bit more of an edge to him lately and it’s obvious that it has been contagious to players.

He’s more in control of what’s happening with this group, in part because he just understands the NBA game a lot better now than he did when he took over in 2013.

Players are almost unanimously quick to give him the credit for their improved play which has included giving them free reign and the kind of freedom on the floor that very few coaches in the NBA have afforded them in the past.

And when you’re talking about Brad Stevens, you can’t help but give him props for what he’s able to do out of time-outs. In close games, those plays could easily mean the difference between a sweet victory and a bitter defeat.

2. Team defense

At the start of the season, the Celtics played as though they wanted to out-score opponents every night. That didn’t work so well.

As we got deeper into the season, the defense showed signs of improvement.

But what they’ve done the past five games is nothing short of amazing when you consider how bad they were as a team defensively to start the season.

During the five-game winning streak, here’s a couple of defensive nuggets to chew on.

- Opponents are scoring 89.6 points per game (3rd in the league)

- Forcing 17.6 turnovers per game (3rd)

- Opponents are shooting 42.4 percent from the field (tied-4th)

- Opponents are averaging 18.4 assists per game (4th)

The list of defensive accomplishments during the winning streak is a lengthy one, with no one statistic standing out head and shoulders above the rest which speaks to some degree as to how the Celtics are getting it done defensively by a variety of players being called upon to play various roles that collectively had added up to lots of success lately.

3. Danny Ainge

Celtics Nation had every reason to believe that Danny Ainge’s moves this season were more about creating flexibility for the future rather than winning in the present.

He traded away the team’s leading scorer (Jeff Green) for an aging veteran (Tayshaun Prince) with an expiring contract who was later flipped for two more players (Jonas Jerebko and Gigi Datome) that didn’t start and in the case of Jerebko, barely in the rotation.

Ainge parted ways with former All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo for what appeared to be a bunch of disposable spare parts in Brandan Wright (traded to Phoenix), Jameer Nelson (traded to Denver) and Jae Crowder.

The only player left on the roster from that deal is Crowder who has been one of the biggest surprises of this season for the Celtics.

But the deal that really pushed Boston into the playoff conversation was their acquisition of Isaiah Thomas from Phoenix at the trade deadline.

Although Thomas is currently out with a tailbone and left elbow injury, he has been arguably the biggest difference-maker in the Celtics turning their season around.

And his arrival would not have been possible if not for Ainge’s persistence and willingness to add a player who can make an immediate impact – a departure of sorts from the other deals he has engineered this season.

4. Bench

This has been one of the Celtics’ strengths all season, but the second unit has really stepped to the forefront in recent weeks.

Without question, Isaiah Thomas has been the biggest reason for Boston’s improved play. Despite coming off the bench in every game for Boston, he has led the team in scoring with a 21.4 points per game average.

But the second unit’s success isn’t limited to just Thomas’ play. Jae Crowder. Jonas Jerebko. Gigi Datome. Go down the line and just about every backup is having a big season.

When you’ve struggled the way Boston did earlier this season, anything short of major contributions from many will simply not get it done.

5. Bradley’s Leadership

We see all the scoring and hustle plays and victories pile up for Boston, but there’s no column to punch in numbers for what may be the most important transformation with this team.

There is no way to quantify the value that Boston is getting now from the leadership of Avery Bradley.

He is the longest-tenured Celtic with five years and counting under his belt. The four-year, $32 million deal he signed in the offseason gives him the kind of contract longevity that none of his teammates have.

But more than just playing well at both ends of the floor, Bradley’s becoming a better communicator on the floor.

And that more than any of his other achievements this season, speaks to both his growth and that of this team.

bob
MY NOTE:  I am, quite frankly, amazed at how good our defense is given we don't have any shot blockers or high quality defensive big men.  It makes me wonder if times and the league have changed and you don't need one of them to excel defensively.  The numbers don't lie, we have a good team defense.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Five Reasons For The Celtics' Recent Success Empty Re: Five Reasons For The Celtics' Recent Success

Post by Sloopjohnb Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:40 pm

There have been great defensive teams that didn't have a classic rim protector/shot blocker.  The 70's Celtics and Knicks come to mind as well as the Bad Boy Pistons. Hell, Jordan's Bulls didn't have exceptional shot blocking.

There's more than one way to skin a cat or get needed stops.

Sloopjohnb

Back to top Go down

Five Reasons For The Celtics' Recent Success Empty Re: Five Reasons For The Celtics' Recent Success

Post by BaronV Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:23 pm

Another way to think about that question.... can you name 15 defensive intimidators playing in the league today? If not, and I can't come up with nearly that many off the top of my head, that means at least half of our opponents don't have one either. So unless we're playing a team with a center who is a huge offensive threat, and there are really only a few of those right now as well, it's really a non issue. Of course having this guy would be great, but I'm not sure it's essential given the current makeup of the league.

-V

BaronV

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:56 pm

Sherrod always confuses me. How can he say "Jerebko, barely in the rotation" and then say "But the second unit’s success isn’t limited to just Thomas’ play. Jae Crowder. Jonas Jerebko. Gigi Datome. Go down the line and just about every backup is having a big season." ????
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:02 pm

worcester wrote:Sherrod always confuses me. How can he say "Jerebko, barely in the rotation" and then say "But the second unit’s success isn’t limited to just Thomas’ play. Jae Crowder. Jonas Jerebko. Gigi Datome. Go down the line and just about every backup is having a big season." ????

worcester,

Especially when Jerebko is playing more mpg than Gigi?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:04 pm

worcester wrote:Sherrod always confuses me. How can he say "Jerebko, barely in the rotation" and then say "But the second unit’s success isn’t limited to just Thomas’ play. Jae Crowder. Jonas Jerebko. Gigi Datome. Go down the line and just about every backup is having a big season." ????

Worcester,

I believe he meant that Jerebko was barely in the rotation in Detroit.

What confused me was that Gigi had significantly less playing time in Detroit (only 17 total minutes in three games this year) compared to Jerebko (703 minutes in 46 games, or 15.3 minutes per game), yet it was Jerebko he characterized as being barely in the rotation. Or maybe you're right and he was referring to their playing time in Boston. I dunno.

Overall, despite that point of confusion, I found it to be one of A. Sherrod's better efforts.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Yes Outside, but he'd set such a low bar to get over.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi,
I'd add #6 - Chemistry and desire to win to achieve something.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:15 pm

It's A. Sherrod.  I guess we have to cut him some slack.  I'm absolutely dumfounded by his amazing revelation that Danny, Brad, defense and the bench have all been instrumental in the Celtics' recent success.  A. has always made a habit of putting together the obvious and trying to package it as huge news.

A's comment about Avery's leadership is probably a direct result of yesterday's interview in which Avery, himself, talked a lot about being very vocal.  I could almost envision the light going off above A's head as he made the connection between talking and becoming a leader.  But, at least, the characterization of Avery as leader comes closest of the five factors to being interesting fodder for conversation.

It would be difficult to refute the fact that Avery Bradley has grown on a number of fronts this season—taking charge on the floor being one of them.  The one way in which he hasn't grown (physically) could be the most important.  He still struggles in finishing at the rim, when being closer to the basket couldn't hurt.  There are still opponents shooting over him with impunity.

But the perfect player has never been invented, and it's clear that the Celtics wouldn't be where they are without Avery's pretty reliable sniping, which (it could be argued) has become an even more important weapon than his defense.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:48 pm

worcester wrote:Yes Outside, but he'd set such a low bar to get over.

Yeah, well, I was trying to be charitable.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:05 pm

It's always good to be kind.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down