what would be a "fireworks" off-season for you?

+5
bobheckler
BaronV
rambone
wide clyde
kdp59
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

what would be a "fireworks" off-season for you? - Page 2 Empty Re: what would be a "fireworks" off-season for you?

Post by rambone Tue May 19, 2015 10:27 pm

Nice post Sam, puts it in perspective.

The only non-game nba entertainment I like is the draft. But with youtube and dedicated draft web sites, it's pretty unbelievable the amount of information and multi-media we have about these prospects.

In general, I'd say the younger generation of Celtics fans is quite disappointing, if the regular commenters on celtics forums are any indication.

A distinct majority of young internet era Celtics fans support tanking any time the team is not a top contender for a title.

I blame fantasy basketball, which I don't play. But it glorifies individual stats, hero ball, and a high volume of trades. This influence has bled into regular fandom, and these young fans have no loyalty or attachment to any Celtic player who isn't a superstar.

Optimism, even with well explained reasoning, is met with derision. These young fans barely remember pre-2007 Celtic basketball, so they expect a championship every single year. And they will comment, all season long, about how the Celtics should be trying harder to lose games, and disrespecting every Celtic player as a "scrub", because the players aren't worshiped on ESPN.

The NBA itself plays a big role in promoting this vulgar form of fanhood, glorifying the individual star, featuring the individual rather than the team, and corrupting the game with special treatment from referees, aka "star calls".

I'm very glad that this forum, and all you guys are here. People who actually see the value in winning games in a non-championship year. It's a sad state of affairs.

rambone

Back to top Go down

what would be a "fireworks" off-season for you? - Page 2 Empty Re: what would be a "fireworks" off-season for you?

Post by Sam Tue May 19, 2015 11:12 pm

Rambone,

You're preaching to the choir in your comments about fantasy basketball.  I don't talk much about it because I realize many board members enjoy it.  I guess the crux of my situation is that, coming from a background of feeling so fulfilled by championship after championship and respect for such exemplary players, I view team performance as enough of a reward that I don't need anything else to enhance the experience.  It's probably a very narrow viewpoint, but I come from a very primitive time in pro basketball terms.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Tue May 19, 2015 11:19 pm

Nothing primitive about it. Teamwork is (almost?) always less primitive than individual work.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue May 19, 2015 11:22 pm

Anyone watching the Rockets? Josh Smith is killing his team taking 3's and missing them - leading to easy Warriof buckets. So glad we don't have Smith.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed May 20, 2015 12:58 am

Rambone,

I don't mean primitive basketball.  I still believe it was the best basketball that has ever been played—and the most fun to watch.  I mean the primitive surroundings—from the lack of media coverage to the rudimentary trappings of the game and the relative accessibility of the players.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Wed May 20, 2015 9:54 am

I know Sam. I just mean it wasn't as primitive as today's game in some ways, like fans knowing the importance of teamwork and chemistry. And the refs calling the games fair and square without star calls.

And fan loyalty to the players and team.

Hopefully Brad and Danny can bring back some of that sophistication to the Celtics' fan base.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next