2015 NBA Draft rumors: Willie Cauley-Stein's medical history scaring teams away

3 posters

Go down

2015 NBA Draft rumors: Willie Cauley-Stein's medical history scaring teams away Empty 2015 NBA Draft rumors: Willie Cauley-Stein's medical history scaring teams away

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:37 pm

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/6/22/8823831/nba-draft-rumors-2015-Willie-Cauley-Stein-dario-saric

2015 NBA Draft rumors: Willie Cauley-Stein's medical history scaring teams away
By Yaron Weitzman  @YaronWeitzman on Jun 22, 2015, 11:19a 2

A report has the Kentucky big man falling to the Pacers at No. 11 due to a worrisome background, plus Dario Saric is staying in Turkey and Kristaps Porzingis is working out for the Knicks.

Willie Cauley-Stein's "background and medical history" could cause him to fall in Thursday's NBA Draft, according to a report from Draft Express.

Cauley-Stein, the 7-foot center from Kentucky who's tantalizing athleticism has some envisioning him as a future defensive star, was projected just a few weeks ago as going as high as No. 4 to the Knicks. But health issues are aways a concern when it comes to big men and it appears that some of the teams picking towards the top of the draft are being scared off by something in the 21-year-old Cauley-Stein's background, per Draft Express.

Cauley-Stein revealed he had a sickle cell problem in 2013, which occasionally hurts his endurance. Cauley-Stein said he was on no medication for the issue at the time.

Last season at Kentucky, his third in Lexington, Cauley-Stein averaged 8.9 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.7 blocks in 25.9 minutes per game. He was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Year and a First Team All-American. ESPN's Chad Ford has him as the No. 8 prospect in this year's draft, but has him falling to the Indiana Pacers at No. 11 in his latest mock draft. Draft Express does as well.

bob
MY NOTE: Calling Dr. Worcester! Calling Dr. Worcester!

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

2015 NBA Draft rumors: Willie Cauley-Stein's medical history scaring teams away Empty Re: 2015 NBA Draft rumors: Willie Cauley-Stein's medical history scaring teams away

Post by kdp59 Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:02 pm

here's the origin of that piece, I think

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ukbeat/2013/12/11/cauley-steins-sickle-cell-problem/

Cauley-Stein’s “sickle cell problem”

Posted on December 11, 2013 by Kyle Tucker

Despite his monster defensive performance in last night’s win over Boise State – nine blocks to go with seven rebounds and six points – Kentucky center Willie Cauley-Stein looked seriously winded at times, doubled over on occasion, and played just 25 minutes even though he was never in foul trouble. Afterward, he raised some eyebrows with this revelation:

“I was having a little sickle-cell problem and my chest was starting to hurt, so I had to keep on telling myself, ‘In and out.’ So I wasn’t going to be able to play the minutes that I normally play, but I just tried to go as hard as I could when I could and come out whenever I felt fatigued.”

So what does he mean by “sickle-cell problem”? Does he have sickle cell anemia?

“I have the sickle cell trait,” Cauley-Stein said, noting he’s not on any medication. “So some days it’s just randomly where I’ll have like real bad chest pain and I can’t like breathe and my heart rate won’t come down, so I gotta stop and wait for it to come down.”

ALSO read Cauley-Stein grew into his role as a shot blocker

That’s all the elaboration we got last night, which leaves several unanswered questions. I talked to Jerrod Stanford, who coached Cauley-Stein his first two seasons in high school, and upon learning what his former player said about the issue last night, he said: “I didn’t know that for sure. I know he’s always worked so hard, so him getting winded and a little bit tired, we just took it as him working hard.” I talked to Mike Grove, who coached Cauley-Stein his final two years of high school. His response: “That’s the first I’ve ever heard of it.”

kinda sounds like an excuse for not playing many minutes to me, but who knows.

where's the DOC?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

2015 NBA Draft rumors: Willie Cauley-Stein's medical history scaring teams away Empty Re: 2015 NBA Draft rumors: Willie Cauley-Stein's medical history scaring teams away

Post by Sam Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:46 pm

Sully?  Willie?  Turner?  Is physical well-being destined to be among the leading factors in shaking up every draft?  Yes, we need Dr. Worcester, but we also need a subscription to the New England Journal of Medicine for kdp so he won't go nuts incorporating this development into his predictions.

Good luck to Willie.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:53 pm

already calculating Sam!!

including this one

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/report--concerns-about-willie-cauley-stein-s-foot--could-cause-him-to-drop-a-few-slots-205443081.html

looks like the pin in his ankle may need to be redone also.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Holy mackerel!  It just gets worse and worse.  Counting on you for the latest, kdp.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:19 pm

look at it this way IF Ainge wants him he might have only to sit at #16!

kind of like Sully.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:09 pm

Of course, there would be no assurance that Willie would last until #16.  Danny would have to take a major gamble with a pretty good backup plan in mind (which might include trying to trade for Willie after he's picked by another team).  Not unheard of.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:13 am

I think before the "possible" problem with his ankle, most here would have been happy with Danny moving up to maybe the 10 spot for WCS.

IF he needs the pin redone, his rookie year would probably be a waste. I have no idea about what the recovery time is on something like that, but losing the summer league and training camp are KILLERS for rookies.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down