Post Game 2 - Utah League vs Sixers

5 posters

Go down

Post Game 2 - Utah League vs Sixers Empty Post Game 2 - Utah League vs Sixers

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:01 pm

Ugly shooting, just ugly.

We went up against a 6'11", 270# behemoth with no center on our roster.  Nevertheless, he only had 13 points and 9 rebounds in almost 29 minutes.  Not bad.  We swarmed him on defense and didn't let him just bull his way through.

1.  Mostly a no-show for Mickey.  Not bad, just nothing to write home, or here, about.  Let's see if he's trick-or-treat or if this was just a bad game, the 2nd game of a back-to-backer.

2.  Rozier is quick.  He is.  His shooting is up and down but he does have the speed as advertised.  He made several defensive plays, ran the court and beat people off a crossover last night that were all predicated upon speed and not about craftiness (the crossover was crafty but after he got past his man he was at the front of the rim really fast).  His 2nd game was better than his first.  He was Celtic high scorer with 14 points, which gives you an idea just how bad we were offensively.

3.  If Hunter wants to be a point guard he should have applied for the position.  Shoot, RJ.  He's not shooting.  He's doing a really good job of passing, he has really good court vision but he's passing up shots he must take.  When the team is struggling on offense and you're a shooter, that is when you need to take control and demand the ball, rook.

3.  CJ Fair wants a job.  I don't know who is going to hire him, probably not us, but he has been the most consistent player on the Celtics roster by far through 2 games.  He is getting it done from inside and outside.  6 rebounds last night, 3 of them offensive (including a real man's rebound underneath).  If he was 3" taller and 40# heavier I'd be clinging to him like he was a log on a raging river.

4.  Chris Forsberg wrote a column about James Young.  Everything he wrote is gentle compared to what I would write.  He is 6-22 through 2 games and 2-12 from 3.  The kid looks lost out there.  I don't care how big a hotshot he was at Kentucky, in the NBA he's not a player.  That's silly, of course, because we all know that Kentucky could beat all but the best NBA teams, right?  James Young needs to go back into the oven because he's not done yet.  Adam Silver and the league should raise the minimum age for kids to come out of college and play in the NBA.  I want to contribute to Greenpeace just so I don't have to see baby harp seals like James Young get clubbed like this.

5.  Our defensive rotations in the 1st half were excellent.  REALLY fast and effective.  Not in the 2nd half.

6.  They started off colder than ice and then "warmed up" to where they ended at 41% fg%.  We went from colder than ice to winter on Jupiter.  If the goal was to improve our fg% by adding shooting, it hasn't worked.  Our designated shooter, RJ Hunter, isn't shooting.  Smart sat out last night.  Pressey isn't even suiting up (not that he's a shooter, but he'd be creating good shots for others).

7.  Thornton was 2-11.  He did some good and then wiped it all out with his shooting.  I'd say him and Young will be eating dinner together alot in Bangor but probably the worst thing that could happen to James Young just happened with the Wallace trade.  Now he's stepping out onto the big stage and there's nowhere to hide.  Still, he's probably a good source for late night burger spots.

Winning in summer league means nothing, it's how you play that matters and our shooting through 2 games is excrement.  Ironically, despite not having a real center on the team, we're holding teams to very respectably low fg%.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game 2 - Utah League vs Sixers Empty Re: Post Game 2 - Utah League vs Sixers

Post by gyso Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:49 pm

Bobh,

Bangor?  That's a long drive for the D-Leaguers, just to eat dinner.  (LOL)

I saw lots of outside shooting and when we did take it inside, we couldn't find the blue sky.  That is a bad combo.  No height, so most of our misses went the other way.

Brad said before Summer League that winning the games is important (or words to that effect).  So much for that!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post Game 2 - Utah League vs Sixers Empty Re: Post Game 2 - Utah League vs Sixers

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:26 pm

gyso wrote:Bobh,

Bangor?  That's a long drive for the D-Leaguers, just to eat dinner.  (LOL)

I saw lots of outside shooting and when we did take it inside, we couldn't find the blue sky.  That is a bad combo.  No height, so most of our misses went the other way.

Brad said before Summer League that winning the games is important (or words to that effect).  So much for that!

gyso

Gyso,

Bangor, Portland, Moscow, Mumbai, they're all the same when you're in sunny California.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:40 pm

"Moscow is a town in Somerset County, Maine, United States. The population was 512 at the 2010 census."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow,_Maine

The state has towns with such names as Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Poland, and Peru, as well as Madrid, Moscow, Athens, and Paris.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:19 pm

BobH,

I don't believe we can conclude that the Sixers big men's scoring was held down and then say that Mickey was mostly a no-show.  I think he had to focus on stopping the behemoth you mentioned, and that obviously sapped his energy.  He wasn't able to be as elusive as in the first game, and he had three shots blocked.  He was just a tad late onan under-and-up, and it cost him.

He also had only two rebounds, and I'm convinced he's not a great rebounder.  However, I would expect that rebounding total to increase if, for example, he were flanked by David Lee who could carve out space and attract a lot of attention under the boards.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:20 pm

Were there no other centers that could have been invited?

Danny needs to get a 5 in time for Vegas or we can expect more crappy games.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:27 pm

dboss wrote:Were there no other centers that could have been invited?

Dboss

dboss,

I would prefer that Danny NOT get a center in time for Vegas. If he does, and he is in Vegas, then he's a rookie or a sophomore or a journeyman. If he can get a center by Vegas my preference would be for him to not be qualified for it anyway. Like, say, DeMarcus Cousins.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:28 pm

Dboss

dboss,

I would prefer that Danny NOT get a center in time for Vegas. If he does, and he is in Vegas, then he's a rookie or a sophomore or a journeyman. If he can get a center by Vegas my preference would be for him to not be qualified for it anyway. Like, say, DeMarcus Cousins.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:28 pm

Dboss

dboss,

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:11 am

rambone wrote:"Moscow is a town in Somerset County, Maine, United States. The population was 512 at the 2010 census."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow,_Maine

The state has towns with such names as Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Poland, and Peru, as well as Madrid, Moscow, Athens, and Paris.

Here's your sign . . .

Post Game 2 - Utah League vs Sixers Sign_i10

I have been there.  I have a picture of me in front of that sign somewhere, from back in the 80's when I lived in southern Maine.

gyso

PS: I tried to post this picture a couple days ago, but the process wouldn't work.  I've noticed a lot of double and triple posts as well.  Hopefully it was just a temporary glitch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down