Report: 76ers unsure whether Joel Embiid will be ready to begin 2016-17 season

3 posters

Go down

Report: 76ers unsure whether Joel Embiid will be ready to begin 2016-17 season Empty Report: 76ers unsure whether Joel Embiid will be ready to begin 2016-17 season

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:04 pm

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/21/report-76ers-unsure-whether-joel-embiid-will-be-ready-to-begin-2016-17-season/

Report: 76ers unsure whether Joel Embiid will be ready to begin 2016-17 season
Dan Feldman Aug 21, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

76ers general manager Sam Hinkie said Joe Embiid would need 5-8 months to recover from surgery, which the center finally underwent this week.

That timeline could put Embiid back on the court late this season, but Hinkie said he doesn’t expect that to happen.

At least Embiid should be healthy in plenty of time for the 2016-17 season, right?

Well…

Keith Pompey of The Inquirer:

Talking to my sources, they want to see him return around October – not this October, but the next October, for that season. And he may not even return for the start of that season. He may miss a couple games. But that’s their goal.

The 76ers should be patient, and all indications are they will be. That’s easier because they’re not interested in winning right now, but they also seem genuinely concerned with Embiid’s long-term health.

This is a troubling sign, though.

A recovery period of 5-8 months is a red flag (especially after Embiid just missed what would have been his rookie season). Fourteen months? That’s downright scary.

If that’s what Embiid needs to have a fulfilling career from here, that’s fine. A few months here or there will become irrelevant once he gets rolling.

But if this is a sign of just how seriously Embiid is hurt and reflects the likelihood he’ll ever play at a high level in the NBA, yikes.

bob
MY NOTE:  HEY TANKERS!!  WOULDN'T THIS BE WORTH ENDURING THE HIDEOUSNESS OF ONE OF THE WORST SEASONS IN FRANCHISE HISTORY?!!

Hell.  Freaking.  No.

If you ever wonder whether it's better to play hard, play your best, play with pride (Celtics Pride!) and play to win, always, then re-read this article and picture Joel Embiid in green.

A lot of teams are changing their uniform designs.  Philly was considering it, but they couldn't come up with the right color mixture for Philly cheesesteak vomit.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report: 76ers unsure whether Joel Embiid will be ready to begin 2016-17 season Empty Re: Report: 76ers unsure whether Joel Embiid will be ready to begin 2016-17 season

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:05 pm

so what did we learn from our playoff run?

we got swept 4-0 to confirm this team was not ready for a deep playoff run.

while I like the players we ended up drafting, if we could have missed the playoffs to get a rim protector, with a mid range and outside shot also, like Miles Turner....I would have preferred that.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Report: 76ers unsure whether Joel Embiid will be ready to begin 2016-17 season Empty Re: Report: 76ers unsure whether Joel Embiid will be ready to begin 2016-17 season

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:30 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:so what did we learn from our playoff run?

we got swept 4-0 to confirm this team was not ready for a deep playoff run.

while I like the players we ended up drafting, if we could have missed the playoffs to get a rim protector, with a mid range and outside shot also, like Miles Turner....I would have preferred that.

cowens,

1. We got swept by the team that made it to the Finals, not just any playoff team. Compare that to them vs Atlanta.
2. We got swept by a team that made it to the Finals and was at full strength until the last game or so. Compare that to them vs Atlanta.
3. We got playoff experience for our young'uns. You cannot buy that.
4. Why would you think you can go from shit to "deep playoff run" overnight? You have to pay your dues somewhere. You're expecting another Bird/McHale/Parish or KG/Pierce/Allen all coming together at once and all ready to compete for a championship type of situation. Those are rare.
5. Turner was the #11 pick. We not only would have missed the playoffs, we would have had to missed the playoffs by 2 spots to have a shot at Turner.
6. Let's see how Turner turns out before we talk about how he's worth tanking for. He only played one year of college ball. Everybody thought Hibbert was who we needed until we saw him in the playoffs and realized he was The Tin Man.
7. I would rather have playoff experience than a player like Embiid who may never play.

100% of the teams that do not make the playoffs do not win the championship. That includes teams like the Philadelphia Sixers who are loaded with high draft pick talent and Utah, a perennial lottery team (with Favors (#3) and Gobert) and Minnesota (another perennial lottery team who had 2 #1s last year and have a #2 this year). If getting high draft picks was the path to a championship Cleveland wouldn't have traded away two of them for Kevin Love and Charlotte would be in the EC Finals every year.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:53 pm

bob Bob Cousy disagrees with you too.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:13 pm

I am not statistically sure which way is the best way to win a championship, but I am very glad that the Celtics do not adhere to the Philly concept because they would be terrible to watch during the regular season. In my mind, there is just something wrong in sports if you are not doing your absolute best and trying to win every game.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down