Report: Joel Embiid’s right foot isn’t insured by the Sixers

3 posters

Go down

Report: Joel Embiid’s right foot isn’t insured by the Sixers Empty Report: Joel Embiid’s right foot isn’t insured by the Sixers

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:24 pm

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/16/report-joel-embiids-right-foot-isnt-insured-by-the-sixers/

Report: Joel Embiid’s right foot isn’t insured by the Sixers
Sean Highkin Aug 16, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT

On Tuesday, Joel Embiid will have season-ending surgery to repair a fracture in his right foot. It will be his second surgery on that foot, the first coming shortly before the 2014 draft. Normally, when a player misses time, the league reimburses the team for 60 percent of the player’s salary. But if an injury is deemed pre-existing, that doesn’t apply. Apparently, concerns about Embiid’s right foot were bad enough that the Sixers aren’t going to be able to collect that insurance money.

From ESPN.com’s Darren Rovell:

The $9 million the Philadelphia 76ers ownership will have paid Joel Embiid in his first two years, without having ever played an NBA game, will come out of their pockets.

Although Embiid’s contract is insured, since it is among the five highest salaries on the team, sources say Embiid’s right foot was excluded from the policy because it was a pre-existing injury. Embiid first had surgery on the foot the week before last year’s NBA draft and was subsequently taken by the 76ers with the third pick.

That’s never a great sign. Amar’e Stoudemire’s five-year, $100 million deal with the Knicks from 2010 was famously uninsured against a knee injury, and those injury concerns were part of why Phoenix didn’t offer him a new five-year deal at the time. If Embiid ever gets healthy (and hopefully he does), the right foot is always going to be a red flag to teams thinking about signing or trading for him. And you never want a big man to have foot problems. Everything about Embiid’s situation is a huge bummer.

bob
MY NOTE:  I didn't know that, about how the insurance works, but I find it stunning that Joel Embiid's rookie contract is one of the top 5 most expensive on the Sixers.  It's amazing that Sam Hinkie isn't hunted down by Sixer fans like a rabid dog.  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report: Joel Embiid’s right foot isn’t insured by the Sixers Empty Re: Report: Joel Embiid’s right foot isn’t insured by the Sixers

Post by wide clyde Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:26 pm

bob,

I certainly know that I would have been terribly upset with the Cs if they had gone the "tanking" route this past season, and the 6ers have been doing it for about 3 years already.

Not a 6ers fan, but living in Delaware our local papers cover all Philly teams and no one sounds too disappointed with finishing with such a horrible record yet in 6er land. Kind of hard to believe after the history of the Philly fans booing even Santa Claus a bunch of years back.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Report: Joel Embiid’s right foot isn’t insured by the Sixers Empty Re: Report: Joel Embiid’s right foot isn’t insured by the Sixers

Post by Sam Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:42 pm

It appears that not going out of their way to win games is just scratching the surface of the various ways the Sixers are tanking. A few more gaffes like this one, as well as giving the fans the #1 salute, and they'll be on the verge of financial collapse too.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:24 pm

Even though I am certainly not a 76ers fan, I refuse to go to any of their games unless they are playing the Cs (even if their tickets are free), but I do not read any of their write-ups either just because I cannot stomach their approach.  

Someday, their plan may turn out to have worked, but doing things to lose is just not what athletics at any level are about.  Perhaps they should let their 'fans' into games for free since they are not playing to win again this year?

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down