Celtics rookies impress on European trip

4 posters

Go down

Celtics rookies impress on European trip Empty Celtics rookies impress on European trip

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:51 am

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/boston-celtics-rookies-impress-on-european-trip?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RssTopHeadlines+%28rss+top+headlines%29

Celtics rookies impress on European trip
October 9, 2015, 5:30 pm

Celtics rookies impress on European trip Byline-blakely-cdc

With a pair of first-round picks and two in the second of the NBA draft last June, the Celtics had every intention of cashing some if not all of those picks in to move up the draft board.

However, Boston could find no takers so they were left no choice but to keep their picks.

And they couldn’t be happier about it.

Yeah, yeah, I know.

Of course they’ll say their happy with their newbies.

Everybody in the NBA is happy with their rookies right about now.

But here’s the difference, at least when it comes to the Celtics: The confidence in their three rookies is rooted in part by how they have handled their opportunities to play.

Three (Marcus Thornton, the 45th overall pick by Boston, is playing overseas) of the Celtics' four draft picks have demonstrated the ability to contribute, potentially as rookies.

A look at what Boston’s three rookies in camp – Terry Rozier, R.J. Hunter and Jordan Mickey – were able to do in the team’s recently concluded European trip which included games in Milan and Madrid.

TERRY ROZIER

Rozier, the 16th overall pick, was able to impact both games, which is a great sign going forward. Although he doesn’t start, he still managed to average 4.5 field goals made per game, which is fourth on the team. He also shot the ball well from 3-point range, connecting on 60 percent of his threes which is second on the squad to Avery Bradley.

Rozier also has a true shooting percentage of 75.1 which is tops on the team.

Defensively, he has been showing good fight to work his way through screens and picks without allowing the opposition too many good looks.

R.J. HUNTER

When he gets on the court, Hunter is not bashful about getting up shots; 3-pointers preferably. Still, in a relatively short period of time, Hunter has shown he can do so much more.

In Boston’s win over Olimpia Milano on Tuesday, Hunter showed some good help-side defense and came away with a blocked shot.

And on Thursday against Real Madrid, Hunter’s better-than-billed, all-around game was at work, too. His 3.0 assists per game is tied for fifth on the team and his defensive rating of 75.1 is the fourth-best on the team.

JORDAN MICKEY

Mickey, the 33rd pick of last June’s NBA draft in the second round, has as much promise as his fellow rookies but getting on the floor won’t be easy for the 6-9 big man.

Boston newcomers David Lee and Amir Johnson figure prominently into the rotation as starter or key reserves. Other bigs coming off the bench for Boston are Kelly Olynyk and Jared Sullinger. Throw in Tyler Zeller and it becomes apparent that Mickey’s chances of playing aren’t good.

Still, Mickey’s activity around the basket defensively and rebounding, are both good enough to contribute if not for the Celtics having so much depth in the frontcourt.

Still, there will be a time when one of Boston’s big men will get in foul trouble and head coach Brad Stevens will give him his shot.

In his two preseason games, Mickey has really distinguished himself on the boards.

He’s averaging 1.5 offensive rebounds per game which is second on the team (Jared Sullinger, 2.5 offensive rebounds per game). His overall rebounding percentage is 16.1 which ranks third on the team, in addition to having an offensive rating of 108.3 which ranks ninth on the team.

Mickey told CSNNE.com earlier that his focus now isn’t all that different than it has been in the past when he had to take his game to a higher level against better talent, competition.

“It’s just like going through school,” he told CSNNE.com. “Middle school, you’re probably the best on the team. You go to high school you have to start over, work your way back up. College, the same thing. I’m just trying to work my way up. I’m a competitor. I love the competition; it’s something I thrive on. I just want to continue to improve and play.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics rookies impress on European trip Empty Re: Celtics rookies impress on European trip

Post by wide clyde Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:02 am

It seems that all three of these guys will have a place in the NBA as they all already have some NBA skills.

It is still very early in their first pre season in the league, but further development and opportunity are the keys to how much they will play. From what I have seen so far, Rozier may get some point time before the other two guys get time at their positions.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Celtics rookies impress on European trip Empty Re: Celtics rookies impress on European trip

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:23 am

Roziers defense and shot making ability really impressed me, at a speed very few can match, with AB and Smart there will be some great defensive wars against the elite points that I'm looking forward to seeing. If this is a small ball/point guard driven league, we sure are ready to defend those little guys.

With our 4th pick doing nothing, not even in camp and the young thriving talent we have at the position, can't believe we didn't take a flyer on Robert Upshaw? I know he has baggage, but hes also a legit 7 foot shot blocking presence, a traditional center that has the attributes needed for the position. What would be the downside? Okay so cut him if hes incompetent on the floor or has a relapse or is a cancer in the lockeroom....I get it.

I would have taken the minimal risk, because if his upside is close to what it could be then that piece could have really helped us.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:55 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Roziers defense and shot making ability really impressed me, at a speed very few can match, with AB and Smart there will be some great defensive wars against the elite points that I'm looking forward to seeing. If this is a small ball/point guard driven league, we sure are ready to defend those little guys.

With our 4th pick doing nothing, not even in camp and the young thriving talent we have at the position, can't believe we didn't take a flyer on Robert Upshaw? I know he has baggage, but hes also a legit 7 foot shot blocking presence, a traditional center that has the attributes needed for the position. What would be the downside? Okay so cut him if hes incompetent on the floor  or has a relapse or is a cancer in the lockeroom....I get it.

I would have taken the minimal risk, because if his upside is close to what it could be then that piece could have really helped us.

Cow,

The Lakers have played 3 pre-season games. Upshaw was a coaches-DNP for the first 2.

I don't know if that means that Byron Scott doesn't think he's ready, or if he just wants to see his likely starting 10 get the minutes and get some rhythm or what. Maybe TJ knows but I don't. It does seem strange, though, that Scott played Hibbert 21 minutes and the Immortal Bob Sacre 15 minutes in game 1 (Upshaw a DNP) and Hibbert 32 minutes and Bob Sacre 5 minutes in game 2 (Upshaw DNP). In game 3 Hibbert played 23 minutes and Upshaw got 25 minutes (Sacre DNP). Hibbert had 4 points, 5 rebounds and 3 blocks in 23 while Upshaw had 6 points, 3 rebounds and 2 blocks in 25. NEITHER of them sound impressive. The only thing that is giving Upshaw a glimmer of a chance is that he is against Sacre. On the other hand, Sacre has a guaranteed contract and Upshaw doesn't. Sounds a little like the Young-PJ3 issue we have huh?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:01 pm

bob you pitbull your looking into stats way too much and its JUST preseason, 2 blocks in 25 is not bad almost 3 in 36 per and if he can do that consistently, thats good, but I don't want to get in a stats war/debate with you. This kid is just developing, I would have took the risk, we'll see where his career goes.....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:42 pm

once thing for sure the "debate" about Upshaw and whether any of the 30 teams that passed on him, should have drafted him...will carry on as long as he finds a way on an NBA roster.

we'll see if he does or not soon enough.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down