Is Sully on his way out?

+2
rambone
RosalieTCeltics
6 posters

Go down

Is Sully on his way out? Empty Is Sully on his way out?

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:56 pm

Looking more and more like Sully is going to be the odd man out.  His body language is terrible on the court and when he is replaced off the court.  I sat there last night thinking "Where is the Sullinger we knew and loved two years ago"?  He just does not fit into this system, or is it me?  It must be a shock to a guy who was receiving accolades when he came here and how hard he worked after back surgery to return to the team.  He just does not seem to want to be here.  Maybe that is why he was so quick to change his twitter account when the rumor was out that he was getting traded to Charlotte.  

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Is Sully on his way out? Empty Re: Is Sully on his way out?

Post by rambone Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:55 pm

Rondo and Jeff Green were his veteran mentors.

Probably better to part ways before he starts mentoring the rookies.

But we would definitely miss his power inside. He can generally play huge guys like Brook Lopez to a stale mate, and we don't have another guy near as strong as Sully.

The way Hibbert is looking for the Lakers, I kind of wish we had traded GWallace and a (2nd round) pick for Roy Hibbert rather than getting David Lee.

But I guess David Lee replaces most all of Sully's skill set and then some, and Danny might also have predicted easy negotiations with Tyler Zeller.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Give Hibbert time, I will be shocked if he plays that good in February.
Just something about him that is not appealing. He had a great team around him and faded. Then when George went down he lost all his fire.

Not a fan, as you can tell.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:00 pm

We have a logjam at 4.  I think it's clear that Brad prefers Kelly over Sully.  Sully is a bull but he hasn't been playing inside much and that is his strength.  Kelly doesn't play inside either, but his outside shooting is better, he runs the floor better, his passing is much better and his defense is no worse.  Sully had the beef to hold his ground against centers, but was getting shot over.  Now, as a PF, he's having trouble staying in front of them.  There are good tweeners, and there are bad tweeners.

Personally, I'm a little stunned at the drop off in Sully.  I thought for sure he'd be coming in here this year breathing fire, what with his new body and being in a contract year, but no.  My gut told me there was something wrong when he showed up with that stupid faux hawk, it's too much about "look at me" and not about business, but I was hoping I was wrong.  Dennis Rodman could get away with shit like that because he was, pound-for-pound, the best rebounder in the history of the NBA and a DPOY.  Sully's no Worm.  

Danny wants to make a trade.  You know he wants to shake things up, preferably sooner so Brad can re-establish chemistry and continuity early in the season.  He wants to move picks, he tried with Charlotte and Miami.  Danny knows who he wants, I'd be fall down shocked if he didn't, he just has to wait until the other GM is ready and is willing to accept what Danny is offering (or Danny decides he needs to do something and sweetens the pot).

I don't think Danny will make a deal he doesn't want but he also won't keep a player like Sully past the trade deadline unless he's convinced Sully is happy, wants to re-sign here and maybe is already talking extension.  He wasn't willing to take that risk with Rondo, he won't take it with Sully.

Just one man's opinion.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:06 pm

Reminds me of the Darko situation. Doc didn't play Darko, and Darko just quit, but we really could have used him later in the season.

We're one injury away from really needing Sully, if only as a 3rd string center/backup center against huge guys.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:28 pm

rambone wrote:Reminds me of the Darko situation. Doc didn't play Darko, and Darko just quit, but we really could have used him later in the season.

We're one injury away from really needing Sully, if only as a 3rd string center/backup center against huge guys.

rambone,

Darko only played 1 game for the Celtics, and Doc was talking up his passing ability. I don't think Darko quit because of minutes, he quit because his mother was sick, as I remember the story. The next year he officially retired from the NBA to take up, of all things, kickboxing.

Here's a quote from the Boston Globe:

"He just needs a chance; he just needs a team that wants him to do his job without asking him to be the No. 2 pick in the draft. We're just asking him to be part of a group and part of a team. We give him roles on the team. I think he likes the roles that we've given him and he didn't feel any extra pressure. So far so good. We just have to keep him in that frame of mind that he's in now.

"You can see that he gets frustrated easy. So we're trying to eliminate those episodes. Our thing right now with Darko is to play forward. From being around for a short time, as a coach I can probably feel he's played his career backwards. He lives in the past a lot and we're trying to get him to live in the future. I told him (Friday), the only time I'll take you out is if you make a mistake and make another mistake because you're thinking about the last mistake. I won't take you out for making a mistake. So hopefully that works."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:44 pm

bobh

Good to see Rodman get the respect he deserved as a player rather than on style.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:16 pm

swish wrote:bobh

Good to see Rodman get the respect he deserved as a player rather than on style.

swish

I'm with you big time on this one Swish. Rodman was an amazing player and my favorite non Celtic of all time. (Ignoring the silly stuff). He could cover Bird, he covered Magic a bit, and told Chuck Daly he would cover Ewing if he wanted. Best defender I ever saw. (Russell was before my time)

Then consider his rebounding.......

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:01 pm

BobC

I really admire players like Rodman and Kerr amongst others on those great Bulls teams for the way they played the team role to perfection. On teams that are dominated by a super star like Jordan the idea of team play is often down played by many who view domination by one or two players as being anti team. Try and tell Rodman that he was on a team that was not team oriented.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:52 pm

I still like Sully

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:43 pm

I remember on media day of Sully's rookie year, he gave a short interview where I was struck by his arrogance. People told me I was reading way too much into it, and I convinced myself they were right for a while. I did the same after his domestic violence situation, tried to brush it off.

But Jay Williams' 2012 NBA Combine comment stuck with me. Jay was saying Sully simply wasn't a hard worker and would basically flop in the NBA. I thought he was being waaay over-critical, but he obviously knew a lot that I didn't.

Interestingly, some GM type said before this latest draft that Jahlil Okafor was a lot like Sully, and would only work as hard as he needed to and no more. That will be something to keep an eye on in a couple years. I remember Okafor dropping his PHI jersey on the floor in front of all the cameras when the PHI rookies were introduced the day after the draft.

That kind of gesture reeks of the entitlement Sully has.

Some McDonalds' All Americans let the "All American" go to their head, and the McDonalds go to their stomach.

Jabari Parker is another husky kid now plagued by heavy rumors about his fitness level and eating habits. He's heavier than ever right now, and small forward has been written off as a possibility by Bucks' brass. They are trying to spin it like Parker is just more buff now, and that the weight is just muscle, which is pretty similar to how Sully has been painted by the Celtics over the years.

Is Sully on his way out? I?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F1013%2Fr16757_1296x729_16%2D9

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13882794/jabari-parker-milwaukee-bucks-rookie-team-coach-jason-kidd-says

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:18 pm

This is a tough story for me. I really liked Sully when he came here, he was definitely overweight, but it seemed like he used his body to rebound (something like Charles Barkley used to do, but I am not saying Sully is a Barkley) and he worked hard.

His attitude has put him in a position now where he will probably be traded but I do not know what Danny can get for him. Coming in to a contract year one would think he would be playing me against the world basketball.
To me I just do not want an unhappy, miserable player sitting on the bench who can upset the chemistry of the team

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:20 pm

I could see Doc Rivers trading a 2nd rounder for Sully, but I'd rather Sully not be toxic and just wait for his opportunity like a professional.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down