Healthy Jones a healthy scratch in New York

2 posters

Go down

Healthy Jones a healthy scratch in New York Empty Healthy Jones a healthy scratch in New York

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:30 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/healthy-jones-healthy-scratch-new-york

Healthy Jones a healthy scratch in New York

October 16, 2015, 11:45 pm

Healthy Jones a healthy scratch in New York Byline-blakely-cdc

No one expects Boston Celtics forward Perry Jones III to play major minutes, even in the preseason.

But on a night when head coach Brad Stevens made it clear he didn’t want to play any one more than 16 minutes, Jones did not play (coaches decision).

After Boston’s 101-95 loss to New York on Friday, Stevens explained why he kept the 6-foot-10 big man on the bench all night.

Jones has missed time with the team during the preseason dealing with a knee injury.

“He’s healthy,” Stevens told reporters afterwards. “I just wanted to see some extended looks for James (Young) and R.J. (Hunter).”

Young had his best game of the preseason, scoring 10 points while Hunter chipped in with seven points while having another all-around solid performance.

Stevens indicated that Jones’ DNP-CD will not become a trend to watch in the team’s remaining three preseason games.

“He’ll play next week,” Stevens said of Jones.

Jones, the only player with a guaranteed contract for this season to not see action on Friday, has appeared in two preseason games for Boston.

Acquired in the offseason in a trade with Oklahoma City, Jones has averaged 2.0 points and 1.5 rebounds while playing 8.4 minutes per game.

bob
MY NOTE: Well, here's the answer to the question "why didn't Jones play?". Young made the most of his extended minutes. Now PJ has to stand up next week. Interesting though. Brad really looks at combos and he wanted to see the Hunter - Young combo. I wonder what combo(s) we'll see a lot of next week with PJ?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Healthy Jones a healthy scratch in New York Empty Re: Healthy Jones a healthy scratch in New York

Post by wide clyde Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:57 am

My prediction relating to Jones earning a starter's spot at the small forward spot is looking weaker and weaker as the pre season rolls along. He has now missed two of the four games for different reasons, but not getting into the Knicks game may have said quite a lot about him even making the team at this point.

Stevens may have already made his roster decisions, but if not Jones is certainly on the hot seat in this week's two games. He may need to show two breakout type performances to get a uniform for next week.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down