Jared Sullinger: When do the Boston Celtics Panic?

3 posters

Go down

Jared Sullinger: When do the Boston Celtics Panic? Empty Jared Sullinger: When do the Boston Celtics Panic?

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:03 pm

Jared Sullinger: When do the Boston Celtics Panic?

by Andrew Fine 1d ago

Jared Sullinger: When do the Boston Celtics Panic? Kyle-o-1

In five preseason games the Boston Celtics’ frontcourt rotation is starting to take shape and forward Jared Sullinger is making a weak case for his spot in it. Amidst all the talk that Sullinger was going to come into the 2015-2016 in better shape, there has been little evidence on the court to bolster this claim. He looks like the same player that he was last year, which is a disappointment because his contract is expiring.

If Sullinger states that he’s more fit and in better shape than last year, then isn’t it reasonable to assume that his game should improve? Regardless of whether he’s in shape or out of shape, he’s not playing like someone who is in his contract year. Sullinger’s solid 2014-2015 season set up high hopes for this season, but he might not live up to the expectations based on his preseason performance.

In the first preseason game against Olimpia Milano, Sullinger had a strong performance. He scored 14 points on 7/10 shooting and collected four rebounds off the bench. Since then Sully has shot 20% (5/25) from the field, averaging 4.5 points and 5.3 rebounds in 13.8 minutes, which are not the numbers of someone who expects to be in the frontcourt rotation.

In five games total, his confusing shot chart is far from impressive:

Jared Sullinger: When do the Boston Celtics Panic? Shotchart_1445310074416
Jared Sullinger Shot Chart 2015-2016 Through 10.19.15

In the preseason, Sullinger has only attempted five 3-pointers and has taken 8 shots from 15-19ft (per NBA.com/stats). His decision to take more long 2s is troubling, since he did not shy away from shooting 3s during the last few seasons and our hope is that he would try to improve his 3-point shooting. It’s also frustrating to see him choosing to take difficult contested jump shots, which are considered low percentage shots.

His shots are mostly short and hitting the front of the rim, which could be from tired legs (another sign he’s not in the shape he says he’s in). Four games is an early point to begin strictly assessing Sullinger’s preseason, but if what we’ve seen is any indication of what’s to come, there is a problem.

In addition to Sullinger not doing himself any favors, his frontcourt teammates are playing better than he is. David Lee has filled in nicely as Boston’s point forward; Tyler Zeller has been consistent per usual. Amir Johnson has been a workhorse and Kelly Olynyk has silenced his critics with more aggressive play.

Sullinger is aware that he might be the odd man out and he’s okay with that. He seems fine with it, especially if it means doing what’s best for the Celtics:

I just want us to win. If that’s me cutting back my minutes, that’s me cutting back my minutes, but the ultimate goal is to win basketball games. That’s the ultimate goal as a team, as a unit. Going forward, it’s a long season so you never know what’s going to happen. You just have to stay ready.

Sullinger’s apparent descent in the depth chart is unfortunate, but simply part of the game. If you don’t perform, you won’t play. The Sullinger bandwagon is becoming thinner and thinner and now the question is: when do the Celtics do something about him and what can they do?

It makes the most sense for the Celtics to trade Sullinger, assuming they are not going the extend him. Ainge doesn’t like letting expiring players walk away without getting something in return, so don’t expect Sullinger to go for nothing in the event he doesn’t reach an extension with the team.

However, don’t expect a trade to happen right away. The team will likely listen to offers and at the earliest could decide to deal him near the extension deadline like the Oklahoma City Thunder did when they traded James Harden to the Houston Rockets in 2012. If not, the Celtics could dangle Sullinger around the trade deadline and let him build his value.

I would advocate for trading Sullinger near the trade deadline in order to let him improve his value. The Celtics might be able to get more for Sullinger if they wait. During the regular season as players get injured and/or underperform, the demand for Sullinger will rise, meaning that teams could overpay in order to fill a void on their roster.

That’s what Ainge did with Rajon Rondo (who like Sullinger was also in the final year of his contract) last year and look how well it turned out for the Celtics. There’s a chance that Sullinger can be this year’s Rondo.

The Boston Celtics proved that they can succeed without Sullinger and they did last season when he missed time due to a stress fracture. The team went 14-11 in his absence and with an even deeper frontcourt this season, he is that much more expendable.

On October 26th the rosters will be set for opening night, so around then we might have a clearer idea of what to make of the Sullinger situation. The Celtics need some confirmation that their rotation clicks in the regular season, so Sullinger might remain in the picture—for now.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jared Sullinger: When do the Boston Celtics Panic? Empty Re: Jared Sullinger: When do the Boston Celtics Panic?

Post by kdp59 Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:11 pm

OK this is really getting silly now.

we have yet to play a game that matters first off.so the "stars" of summer league and pre-season games, many times are bench sitters when the real games start. To hear some the silly talk out there Rozier is going to be a star and Sully will never get off the bench. I'll say it now...Sullinger will play more minutes in the NBA this year than Rozier...oooohhhhhh.

OK, enough of the sarcasm about some of the so-called sports writing out here on the web.

Why would the Celtics panic when it comes to Sullinger?

I mean we drafted him with the what #21 pick in the draft. He's played well for three years, mostly as a starter. HELL the Celtic's already got more than most get with the #21 pick in any draft.

Panic....Danny has already beaten the odds with Sully big time.

and who in their right mind would compare Rondo (who was going to be an UNRESTRCTED Free Agent) to Sully (who will be a RESTRICTED Free agent)?

Maybe someone should send the (ahem) writer an explanation of the difference there.

IF Sullinger ends up being the #5 Big man this year, WE still control him as a RFA.

IF Sullinger become an ALL- Star this season, WE still CONTROL him as a RFA.

there is no mandatory need to move Sully at ALL this year.

now maybe IF someone wants Sully and Ainge gets an upgrade, it would make sense. But certainly not just to move him.

Turner and Lee will be UFA's next year

Sully and Zeller are RFA's.

Sully and Zeller do not have to moved at all. And the market will determine their worth ( with Ainge being able to match any deal they get).

please.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Jared Sullinger: When do the Boston Celtics Panic? Empty Re: Jared Sullinger: When do the Boston Celtics Panic?

Post by wide clyde Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:22 pm

KDP is completely right. No need to panic with Sullinger right now or probably even during the course of the entire season.

His situation may be further determined by Saturday if either he or another forward gets traded, but if not solved by Saturday it will work itself out soon enough as there is no rotation in Stevens' mind that will stick completely together for the entire season. And, who knows, Sullinger may find himself playing a lot more in even only two weeks than it appears that he will play next week.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:10 pm

There's no need to panic over Sullinger. As we approach the trading deadline, with him in a contract year, then it might be time to strongly considering moving him (although now, at the beginning of the season, might produce better trade value than when other GMs perceive Danny might be more motivated to take what he can get before the deadline) but the word "panic" is just the author trying to create some drama.

I am, however, dismayed at the shot chart above. Not because his fg% is so bad, we know he can shoot, certainly from mid-range and in, but his shot distribution.

Of the 35 fgas he had taken per that chart, only half of them were in the paint. That he only hit 53% of them from that range is not good neither, but only 53%? That should be right in his kitchen, and that's a metaphor that should resonate with him.

I realize this might not be a fair comparison, but when Larry Bird had a bad shooting night, he starting doing everything else to help the team except shoot. He rebounded like a fiend, he'd hit his teammates with passes for assists, he played defense and he got floor burns. I saw Sully hit the floor once, credit where credit is due, and I saw him battling with Kyle O'Quinn in the Knick game (I thought he lost that battle but, once again, credit where credit is due. He was battling down in the trenches and showing some pride) but he isn't rebounding and that's his strength. The game where he had 10 rebounds, at least half of them were uncontested stat boards.

Panic? Hell no, but he is looking more and more out of place in Brad's motion offense.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down