Boston Celtics trade rumors 2016: Team wouldn't put Jae Crowder in Jimmy Butler talks

2 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics trade rumors 2016: Team wouldn't put Jae Crowder in Jimmy Butler talks Empty Boston Celtics trade rumors 2016: Team wouldn't put Jae Crowder in Jimmy Butler talks

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:29 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/04/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_205.html

Boston Celtics trade rumors 2016: Team wouldn't put Jae Crowder in Jimmy Butler talks

Boston Celtics trade rumors 2016: Team wouldn't put Jae Crowder in Jimmy Butler talks 19864504-mmmain
The Boston Celtics reportedly pursued Jimmy Butler (right) before the trade deadline. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on April 13, 2016 at 1:10 PM

The Boston Celtics would not include Jae Crowder in Jimmy Butler talks prior to the trade deadline, according to CSN Chicago's Vernon Goodwill.

Goodwill reported Wednesday that "there was no realistic possibility of a trade" once Boston declined to put Crowder in the discussions.

Boston's pursuit of Butler has been reported before. In early March, the Boston Herald's Steve Bulpett wrote the Celtics were willing to surrender two first-round picks in this summer's draft -- the pick from Brooklyn, which could land in the top five, and the pick from Dallas, which will be somewhere in the teens. That's a big haul, but Butler's one of the NBA's best two-way wings.

The Bulls were a bit of a mess this year, but would still need plenty of incentive to trade a young star who is under contract through at least the 2018-19 season, with a player option for the following campaign. Regardless of Chicago's mentality entering the offseason, expect the Celtics to call again about Butler this summer, just like they will call about plenty of other young studs. If Boston gets lucky on lottery night, team president of basketball operations Danny Ainge will only have more options while he explores whether to trade the Nets pick.

bob
MY NOTE:  I love Jae Crowder, but Jimmy Butler?  Hell yeah, I'd give up Jae for him, Butler is one of the best SGs in the league.  He's a 2x All-Star and a 2x All Defensive 2nd teamer.  That's 2 all-star games more than our current starting SG and just as many defensive credits.  AND, Butler is 6'7".  But a point was made here that is significant.  We have a 25% shot at the #1 pick, I believe.  If we just don't drop below 4th, we might have something to offer.  We were, I believe, tied for 4th worst at the trade deadline, with the expectations that the Nets would eventually pull their heads out of their asses and start winning with the talent they had.

We just need our players to show well in the Atlanta series and in any series we might get to after that.

There was also that rumor of a deal for Jahlil Okafur at the deadline. Can you imagine if both of those deals came off? We'd have:

Okafur at center
Amir at PF
Turner at SF
Butler at SG
IT at PG.

Somebody would have to go for Okie, so that might be Bradley (superfluous with Butler) and probably either Sully (superfluous with Okafur) or Kelly. Still no real shot blocker, but we'd have better size and beef at center and size and strength at SG. With the exception of Thomas, we'd actually be BIG at almost every position instead of small.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics trade rumors 2016: Team wouldn't put Jae Crowder in Jimmy Butler talks Empty Re: Boston Celtics trade rumors 2016: Team wouldn't put Jae Crowder in Jimmy Butler talks

Post by wideclyde Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:11 pm

To make a trade for Butler the Cs would have to give up more than Bradley to make the money work.

I am not big on trade knowledge but Butler would cost Bradley, Crowder, Olynyk and still another piece since he is making nearly $20M on his latest contract.

I can see the Cs trading for a non max type guy this summer, but trading four core guys may be a bit much at this time. When they still had David Lee's salary to use to match incoming salary, trading Lee and some draft picks to get a guy like Butler was solid. I guess Johnson's contract could be used with a lesser paid player along with the Nets pick might be used for a guy like Butler.

Free agency gets quality players without giving away more than money. A top level free agent, a good, young guy who is still on a rookie contract and possibly a draft pick or two are desirable ways to see our team improve again next year.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down