wideclyde
bobheckler
swish
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The RUMOR book Empty The RUMOR book

Post by swish Sun May 01, 2016 11:54 am

Now that the season is over for the Celtics we enter into the RUMOR stage of the off-season. Here's one that you can bet the farm on.
My sources (tongue in cheek) tell me that Danny will stand pat and will not be looking to make any deals.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

The RUMOR book Empty Re: The RUMOR book

Post by bobheckler Sun May 01, 2016 12:06 pm

swish wrote:Now that the season is over for the Celtics we enter into the RUMOR stage of the off-season. Here's one that you can bet the farm on.
My sources (tongue in cheek) tell me that Danny will stand pat and will not be looking to make any deals.

swish

Swish,

More like clear through your cheek...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun May 01, 2016 12:40 pm

Actually, mostly depending upon where the Nets pick lands, I could see Ainge doing very little this summer despite his past quotes about wanting to move quickly into the top tier of teams in the league.

The Nets pick might be the only time in the last bunch of years and also projecting forward for the next several years that a franchise player could be obtained via the draft. If Ainge thinks that either of the top two rated picks are "this" guy and the Nets pick is either number one or two he may just use the pick and then kind of sit back to tinker with his roster again this summer like he did last year as far as big trades are concerned.

Even without a big trade, the team will be better next year with only a couple of tweaks as Stevens and his staff do a fantastic job with player development and usage. Could Ainge be happy with drafting one of those two top college forwards this summer and adding a few smaller pieces via trade and perhaps a lower level free agent or two?

I would hope not, but I can see such a plan as a possibility.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun May 01, 2016 12:44 pm

DA has to make a lot of moves.  He has no choice.

Dboss

Last edited by dboss on Sun May 01, 2016 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun May 01, 2016 1:06 pm

wideclyde wrote:Actually, mostly depending upon where the Nets pick lands, I could see Ainge doing very little this summer despite his past quotes about wanting to move quickly into the top tier of teams in the league.

The Nets pick might be the only time in the last bunch of years and also projecting forward for the next several years that a franchise player could be obtained via the draft.  If Ainge thinks that either of the top two rated picks are "this" guy and the Nets pick is either number one or two he may just use the pick and then kind of sit back to tinker with his roster again this summer like he did last year as far as big trades are concerned.

Even without a big trade, the team will be better next year with only a couple of tweaks as Stevens and his staff do a fantastic job with player development and usage.  Could Ainge be happy with drafting one of those two top college forwards this summer and adding a few smaller pieces via trade and perhaps a lower level free agent or two?

Clyde,

Hmmm, not sure I agree.

Danny wants Durant.  Who doesn't, right?  Durant is a player that can add a half dozen Ws onto any team all by himself.  But he isn't going anywhere where those Ws don't make them a legit threat in the Finals.  Danny knows he needs another big name for him to be more than a longshot at Durant.  Drafting Ingram and Simmons might be great for 3-5 years from now, but I don't believe it will get him Durant this year because Durant won't want to wait 3-5 years for those fruit to ripen.  Furthermore, by doing what it takes to get that other player, and then presenting it to Durant as proof they are DAMN serious about winning #18 and will do/spend what it takes to get it (or, perhaps even more emotionally appealing, as something they did JUST TO GET HIM) that might make the difference that moves them up to the front of the line.

Timing is everything.  Durant could be available THIS year.  Whiteside is available THIS year.  Horford is available THIS year.  There is word that DeMarcus Cousins, despite all the claims to the contrary earlier this year, could be available THIS off-season.  A decision about Sully, or who we should replace him with, has to be made THIS year.

We talk about how important it is to have players who are "not afraid of the moment".  Tommy has said that he thinks Marcus Smart will be a great player in the league because "he is not afraid of the moment".  Well, we have a GM who has proven he is not afraid of the moment too.

My money is on Trader Danny making our heads spin this off-season.  He's going to at least try to swing for the fences.  He offered a boatload of picks to Charlotte so he could get Justise Winslow and was rebuffed.  Based upon past events I'd bet that made an impression on him.  We've seen him flip like a switch if a player coming into their option year even suggests they might not be committed to staying in green (e.g. Ray Allen, Rondo).  After getting punched in the nose by Ray and Tony Allen, he does not respond well to ambivalence anymore.  He, effectively, learned a lesson.  I'm willing to bet the lesson he learned from the failed attempt to trade for Winslowe is that his draft picks might not be as valuable as he thought they would be.  And he has SO many this year, 3 first rounders, that he cannot possibly find room for all of them on this roster.  He NEEDS to move at least one if not two and that means deals.  

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun May 01, 2016 1:27 pm

wideclyde wrote:Actually, mostly depending upon where the Nets pick lands, I could see Ainge doing very little this summer despite his past quotes about wanting to move quickly into the top tier of teams in the league.

The Nets pick might be the only time in the last bunch of years and also projecting forward for the next several years that a franchise player could be obtained via the draft.  If Ainge thinks that either of the top two rated picks are "this" guy and the Nets pick is either number one or two he may just use the pick and then kind of sit back to tinker with his roster again this summer like he did last year as far as big trades are concerned.

Even without a big trade, the team will be better next year with only a couple of tweaks as Stevens and his staff do a fantastic job with player development and usage.  Could Ainge be happy with drafting one of those two top college forwards this summer and adding a few smaller pieces via trade and perhaps a lower level free agent or two?

Wide,

I completely agree, and wouldn't be at all surprised.

Danny WANTS to deal, I'm sure.  Finding young but established veterans via trade or free agency would undoubtedly be the fastest and most desirable route to take.  There are several factors, however, that could lead exactly to the scenario you're talking about.

1. No potential trading partners interested in what we're offering.
2. Less cash for free agents/cash we have not going as far when the new TV deal kicks in and contract demands rise (inflation is a killer).
3. Our draft positions allow for reasonable prospects to gain outside shooting and defense oriented forwards.

In my opinion, not a long-shot picture by any means.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun May 01, 2016 1:46 pm

bobheckler wrote:

Clyde,

Hmmm, not sure I agree.

Danny wants Durant.  Who doesn't, right?  Durant is a player that can add a half dozen Ws onto any team all by himself.  But he isn't going anywhere where those Ws don't make them a legit threat in the Finals.  Danny knows he needs another big name for him to be more than a longshot at Durant.  Drafting Ingram and Simmons might be great for 3-5 years from now, but I don't believe it will get him Durant this year because Durant won't want to wait 3-5 years for those fruit to ripen.  Furthermore, by doing what it takes to get that other player, and then presenting it to Durant as proof they are DAMN serious about winning #18 and will do/spend what it takes to get it (or, perhaps even more emotionally appealing, as something they did JUST TO GET HIM) that might make the difference that moves them up to the front of the line.

Timing is everything.  Durant could be available THIS year.  Whiteside is available THIS year.  Horford is available THIS year.  There is word that DeMarcus Cousins, despite all the claims to the contrary earlier this year, could be available THIS off-season.  A decision about Sully, or who we should replace him with, has to be made THIS year.

We talk about how important it is to have players who are "not afraid of the moment".  Tommy has said that he thinks Marcus Smart will be a great player in the league because "he is not afraid of the moment".  Well, we have a GM who has proven he is not afraid of the moment too.

My money is on Trader Danny making our heads spin this off-season.  He's going to at least try to swing for the fences.  He offered a boatload of picks to Charlotte so he could get Justise Winslow and was rebuffed.  Based upon past events I'd bet that made an impression on him.  We've seen him flip like a switch if a player coming into their option year even suggests they might not be committed to staying in green (e.g. Ray Allen, Rondo).  After getting punched in the nose by Ray and Tony Allen, he does not respond well to ambivalence anymore.  He, effectively, learned a lesson.  I'm willing to bet the lesson he learned from the failed attempt to trade for Winslowe is that his draft picks might not be as valuable as he thought they would be.  And he has SO many this year, 3 first rounders, that he cannot possibly find room for all of them on this roster.  He NEEDS to move at least one if not two and that means deals.  

bob

A very high draft pick can have great "potential" value in 2 ways.

#1 If utilized, at worse - Long term Value
#2 If traded - Immediate value. Example - The Ray Allen deal when we got him for the #5 pick and other players.

We already have a very high pick coming this year and have the potential over the next two drafts to have high draft picks. (The Nets deal)
So it is possible to get back, in a serious way, to be in the hunt for a ring in the next year or two. At worse we have an option for a short term or long range makeover.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun May 01, 2016 3:03 pm

Here's my hopefully, dream come true, Rumor! - Celts land Durant and Whiteside via free agency and still have tons of draft picks to land much needed shooters through the draft or with the option to trade them for long range shooters.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun May 01, 2016 4:15 pm

Devil's advocate time.

Danny doesn't have to sign all the draft picks this year. He can (and should) use many of them in a draft-and-stash scenario, especially the 2nd rounders. It is a perfect opportunity to do just that.

If he cannot get Durant or some other free agent to sign, he may just use the draft and wait for the trading deadline. It takes two to trade and two to sign a free agent. The one single thing that he has total control over is the draft.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun May 01, 2016 4:23 pm

gyso wrote:Devil's advocate time.  

Danny doesn't have to sign all the draft picks this year.  He can (and should) use many of them in a draft-and-stash scenario, especially the 2nd rounders.  It is a perfect opportunity to do just that.

If he cannot get Durant or some other free agent to sign, he may just use the draft and wait for the trading deadline.  It takes two to trade and two to sign a free agent.  The one single thing that he has total control over is the draft.

gyso

Or he can trade current draft picks for future draft picks.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Sun May 01, 2016 4:44 pm

gyso,

I think you might be right. He has been patient lately, which I applaud.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun May 01, 2016 5:16 pm

swish wrote:
gyso wrote:Devil's advocate time.  

Danny doesn't have to sign all the draft picks this year.  He can (and should) use many of them in a draft-and-stash scenario, especially the 2nd rounders.  It is a perfect opportunity to do just that.

If he cannot get Durant or some other free agent to sign, he may just use the draft and wait for the trading deadline.  It takes two to trade and two to sign a free agent.  The one single thing that he has total control over is the draft.

gyso

Or he can trade current draft picks for future draft picks.

swish

Or he can sell a draft pick for cash (less than $3m, I think.) Those are more things it takes two to do.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun May 01, 2016 5:29 pm

pete wrote:gyso,

Pete

Pete,

The last time (2008) had such a short window for success. I believe he is going for the long haul this time. The draft-and-stash supports the long view.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun May 01, 2016 5:43 pm

gyso wrote:

Pete

Pete,

The last time (2008) had such a short window for success.  I believe he is going for the long haul this time.  The draft-and-stash supports the long view.

gyso

I would also prefer the long range future be taken into consideration but a Durant - Whiteside combo would also present a rather youthful combo, and with a bevy of draft picks over the next few years the Celtics could also build for the future beyond the next 5 0r 6 years. The best of both worlds.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun May 01, 2016 7:58 pm

swish wrote:
gyso wrote:

Pete

Pete,

The last time (2008) had such a short window for success.  I believe he is going for the long haul this time.  The draft-and-stash supports the long view.

gyso

I would also prefer the long range future be taken into consideration but a Durant - Whiteside combo would also present a rather youthful combo, and with a bevy of draft picks over the next few years the Celtics could also build for the future beyond the next 5 0r 6 years.  The best of both worlds.

swish

I agree, best of both worlds. Durant costs us none of our assets, just $$. Well, I agree except the Whiteside part. I prefer Horford, even though he didn't overly impress us recently.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun May 01, 2016 8:35 pm

gyso wrote:
swish wrote:
gyso wrote:

Pete

Pete,

gyso

I would also prefer the long range future be taken into consideration but a Durant - Whiteside combo would also present a rather youthful combo, and with a bevy of draft picks over the next few years the Celtics could also build for the future beyond the next 5 0r 6 years.  The best of both worlds.

swish

I agree, best of both worlds.  Durant costs us none of our assets, just $$.  Well, I agree except the Whiteside part.  I prefer Horford, even though he didn't overly impress us recently.

gyso

OPINIONS - The end result of the the saying - "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun May 01, 2016 9:45 pm

Back on topic:

The totally unsubstantiated just made up rumor that no one has ever heard yet, but you heard it here first:

Durant called IT and said, "I'll sign with Boston if you will come off the bench."
IT replied, "I'm a starter now, sorry."

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun May 01, 2016 9:56 pm

gyso wrote:Back on topic:

The totally unsubstantiated just made up rumor that no one has ever heard yet, but you heard it here first:

Durant called IT and said, "I'll sign with Boston if you will come off the bench."
IT replied, "I'm a starter now, sorry."

Gyso,

I would fix this by gorilla gluing IT to a folding chair.  If necessary I would apply the epoxy personally.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon May 02, 2016 9:02 am

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/maxwell-felger-stop-dreaming-about-celtics-moves

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 02, 2016 9:38 am

steve3344 wrote:http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/maxwell-felger-stop-dreaming-about-celtics-moves

steve,

The unofficial music that goes with this conversation...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon May 02, 2016 10:08 am

steve3344 wrote:http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/maxwell-felger-stop-dreaming-about-celtics-moves

I am 100% in agreement with Max on this one.

Durant, Butler, or both, etc.; pipe dreams. Time to get real.

I especially see the same as Max on the Nets pick. How can you talk about trading it if you don't even know what it is yet?

Like this video clip. A lot.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon May 02, 2016 10:19 am

This Kevin Durant talk is a joke.....get a life, not happening.

and his game is suspect right now, hes not near Bird, Magic, Jordan or even Kobe and Lebron. His outside shot isn't always there, hes got no post up game he can be covered by 2's....and he can't defend Kawhi, elite 3's can go right at him too easily.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon May 02, 2016 11:06 am

cowens,

I certainly have to agree with your defensive assessment of Durant and also that he is not Bird, Johnson, James, etc because he is much, much more of only a one way player than any of those legends.

This does not mean that he would not bring many positives for the Cs if Ainge can sign him this summer.
Clearly, he is head and shoulders ahead of any of our forwards at the offensive end of the floor. He rebounds enough and passes fairly well as well. With a bunch of defensive minded guy like Crowder, Bradley and Smart Durant's defensive limitations will be minimized.

Having his 22-25 points per game this season would have projected the Cs much closer to first place in the east during the regular season and would have prevented Atlanta from double and triple teaming Thomas in the recent playoff series.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon May 02, 2016 11:10 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:This Kevin Durant talk is a joke.....get a life, not happening.

and his game is suspect right now, hes not near Bird, Magic, Jordan or even Kobe and Lebron. His outside shot isn't always there, hes got no post up game he can be covered by 2's....and he can't defend Kawhi, elite 3's can go right at him too easily.

Cow,

Name the top players at his position, then tell me any of them are available.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon May 02, 2016 11:20 am

NYCelt wrote:

I am 100% in agreement with Max on this one.

Durant, Butler, or both, etc.; pipe dreams.  Time to get real.

I especially see the same as Max on the Nets pick.  How can you talk about trading it if you don't even know what it is yet?

Like this video clip.  A lot.

Getting Durant is "pipe dream"#2
Getting Allen and Garnett was "pipe dream" #1

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next