wideclyde
tjmakz
kdp59
bobheckler
international
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Lakers could select Dragan Bender Empty The Lakers could select Dragan Bender

Post by international Tue May 24, 2016 11:02 am

http://www.lakersnation.com/category/news/

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LAKERS MIGHT HAVE INTEREST IN DRAGAN BENDER, MEANING BRANDON INGRAM COULD FALL TO CELTICS

WEEI

By Nicholas Frazier

The Celtics were slotted the third overall pick in this year’s NBA draft last week, which meant to most NBA scouts and fans that Boston would miss out on the draft’s top two prospects, LSU power forward Ben Simmons and Duke forward Brandon Ingram.

However, recent reports suggest that Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge may have a better chance of grabbing Simmons or Ingram than expected.

Lakersnation.com reported that Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak might have interest in drafting international center Dragan Bender with the second overall pick instead of Simmons or Ingram. Therefore, if Ainge holds onto the third overall pick, one of the supposed top two players this year could be wearing a Celtics uniform this fall.

“I’m not sure there’s as dramatic a cliff as people think between 2 and 3,” Kupchak said in an interview with TNT analyst David Aldridge. “Any way you look at it, we feel we’ll get an excellent player at 2.”

Added Kupchak: “If you look at our depth chart, you can make an argument that we need a player in the frontcourt,” Kupchak said. “We need a big. … I think we’re more set in the backcourt than the frontcourt.”

If the Lakers are truly looking for a big man, they could do a lot worse than selecting Bender, a 7-foot-1, 225 pound Croatian who played for Maccabi Tel Aviv in Israel last season. At 18 years old, Bender has plenty of upside, and scouts love his ability to protect the rim and his outside shooting. With 6-foot-9 Laker Julius Randle occupying the power forward position, a true big man like Bender could provide immediate aid to a rebuilding Los Angeles squad.

It would make sense for the Lakers to consider taking Bender over the 6-foot-10 Simmons or 6-foot-9 Ingram, who play more like small forwards than true big men. Most mock drafts, like the one on nbadraft.net, have Simmons going first overall to the 76ers, suggesting that if Bender is taken second by Los Angeles, it’s Ingram who most likely will be available.

Ingram, who turns 19 in September, could provide instant help to a Celtics team that is on the brink of being a true contender in the Eastern Conference. Coming off of a freshman campaign when he averaged 17.3 points, 6.8 rebounds and 2.0 assists in 36 games with the Blue Devils, the ACC Freshman of the Year draws comparisons to Thunder forward Kevin Durant, as he has an impressive wingspan (7-foot-3) and shooting ability.

It seems the Celtics have serious interest in Ingram, as he agreed to work out with the team not too long ago. Ainge also has suggested that he will aim to take the best player available should he hold on to the No. 3 pick, which very well could be Ingram.

“We cannot let a player slip by us just because it doesn’t fulfill our immediate satisfaction, or the objective for the fans to see something more exciting,” Ainge told ESPN. “We have to pick the best player, under any circumstance.”

The NBA draft will be held June 23 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Besides the third overall pick, the Celtics also have picks 16, 23, 31, 35, 45, 51, and 58.

international

Back to top Go down

The Lakers could select Dragan Bender Empty Re: The Lakers could select Dragan Bender

Post by bobheckler Tue May 24, 2016 11:48 am

Now, here's an interesting question (at least I think it is):

IF the Lakers do draft Bender with #2, would you rather have the Celtics take whichever of the pair of Simmons and Ingram that was NOT taken #1 OR do you think we should still take the board consensus pick of Buddy Hield?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Lakers could select Dragan Bender Empty Re: The Lakers could select Dragan Bender

Post by kdp59 Tue May 24, 2016 11:57 am

if I were a betting man, I think the #2 and #3 picks gets traded.

Lakers go after Cousins

Celtics go after any "star" that can be had with the #3 pick and one or more of our young players.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue May 24, 2016 12:10 pm

The odds of the Lakers not taking Simmons or Ingram are extremely slim.

I don't think the Lakers trade for Cousins.
Sacramento seems like they really want to keep him.
The only players who might (slim chance) be available who I would trade the #2 pick for are Cousins, Butler and Paul George. I would not trade it for James Harden.
We really don't know how much trade value there will be for the #3 pick.
Much of this depends on the workouts next month. That is when Porzingis really opened people's eyes.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue May 24, 2016 1:39 pm

I think someone will want one of Dunn, Hield, Bender, Murray or Brown at #3.

will that team have anything Danny wants back is the question.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue May 24, 2016 2:07 pm

If the Lakers are actually considering taking Bender in the second spot there has to be something more about this guy than what seems to have been posted on our forum at least so far.

I have certainly not seen enough of any of these so-called picks, but what I have read about Simmons leads me to think that there could be other teams also thinking that Bender (and maybe some other guys, too) may possibly get consideration for one of the top picks.

This thought process would help increase the value of the Cs third pick. All it will take is one surprise in the top two spots and the third pick could then become one of the supposedly 'best' two guys for the third pick.

Position-wise, for the Cs, I have liked Ingram more than the other guys, but what the heck do I know?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue May 24, 2016 2:12 pm

wideclyde wrote:If the Lakers are actually considering taking Bender in the second spot there has to be something more about this guy than what seems to have been posted on our forum at least so far.

I have certainly not seen enough of any of these so-called picks, but what I have read about Simmons leads me to think that there could be other teams also thinking that Bender (and maybe some other guys, too) may possibly get consideration for one of the top picks.

This thought process would help increase the value of the Cs third pick.  All it will take is one surprise in the top two spots and the third pick could then become one of the supposedly 'best' two guys for the third pick.

Position-wise, for the Cs, I have liked Ingram more than the other guys, but what the heck do I know?

One guy writing a pretty weak article about the Lakers and Bender does not mean the Lakers are considering drafting him #2.

We will know more about Bender when he comes to the US for workouts.

I would bet money that the Lakers will draft Simmons or Ingram.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue May 24, 2016 2:15 pm

tjmakz wrote:
wideclyde wrote:If the Lakers are actually considering taking Bender in the second spot there has to be something more about this guy than what seems to have been posted on our forum at least so far.

This thought process would help increase the value of the Cs third pick.  All it will take is one surprise in the top two spots and the third pick could then become one of the supposedly 'best' two guys for the third pick.

One guy writing a pretty weak article about the Lakers and Bender does not mean the Lakers are considering drafting him #2.

TJ,

For whatever my 2c are worth, I think the Lakers will either trade the pick for a high quality player/all-star or pick one of those two. Not unless Jim Buss has given up all hope of keeping his job. There is no way the Lakers faithful will sit through 3 years of watching Bender grow while the Lakers continue to struggle. Buss needs to make a splash and he needs to make it soon and he knows it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue May 24, 2016 2:23 pm

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

TJ,

For whatever my 2c are worth, I think the Lakers will either trade the pick for a high quality player/all-star or pick one of those two.  Not unless Jim Buss has given up all hope of keeping his job.  There is no way the Lakers faithful will sit through 3 years of watching Bender grow while the Lakers continue to struggle.  Buss needs to make a splash and he needs to make it soon and he knows it.

bob

I agree with you Bob.

Bender is just not a better prospect compared to Simmons and Ingram.
In my opinion, it's not even close.
I don't think Sacramento, Indiana or Chicago will give up players the Lakers want, so the odds are the Lakers will make the pick.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue May 24, 2016 2:29 pm

TJ.  I am not sure if the Lakers have the  Stomach for a long term rebuild.  

However just like the Celtics they have more than enough cap space to sign free agents so why trade a high pick if you can keep the pick and still add free agent talent?

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Tue May 24, 2016 2:29 pm

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

TJ,

For whatever my 2c are worth, I think the Lakers will either trade the pick for a high quality player/all-star or pick one of those two.  Not unless Jim Buss has given up all hope of keeping his job.  There is no way the Lakers faithful will sit through 3 years of watching Bender grow while the Lakers continue to struggle.  Buss needs to make a splash and he needs to make it soon and he knows it.

bob

I agree with you Bob.

I don't think Sacramento, Indiana or Chicago will give up players the Lakers want, so the odds are the Lakers will make the pick.

I think Bender would be a steal for the Lakers at #2. You're selling this kid short. Check out draft express for an idea of how good this kid would be for the Lakers' rebuild.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue May 24, 2016 2:53 pm

dboss wrote:TJ.  I am not sure if the Lakers have the  Stomach for a long term rebuild.  

However just like the Celtics they have more than enough cap space to sign free agents so why trade a high pick if you can keep the pick and still add free agent talent?

dboss

If the Lakers trade the #2 pick plus Lou Williams, Nick Young and some other asset for a star player, they still have room to easily sign two max free agents.
It's also attractive for free agents when your team already has a star player or two.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue May 24, 2016 2:55 pm

arambone wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

TJ,

bob

I agree with you Bob.

I think Bender would be a steal for the Lakers at #2. You're selling this kid short. Check out draft express for an idea of how good this kid would be for the Lakers' rebuild.

Who is a better prospect to you, Bender or Thon Maker?
I think you have Thon in your group 1 or at the top of your group 2.
Maker man crush...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ram Tue May 24, 2016 2:59 pm

bobheckler wrote:Now, here's an interesting question (at least I think it is):

IF the Lakers do draft Bender with #2, would you rather have the Celtics take whichever of the pair of Simmons and Ingram that was NOT taken #1 OR do you think we should still take the board consensus pick of Buddy Hield?

bob

Ummm, Bob, you for real? You take Ingram every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

First off, the Lakers are probably not even considering taking Bender over Ingram. Second thing is, if they are and Philly drafts Ingram #1, LA drafts Simmons #2 and is stocked beyond belief by it.
Ram
Ram

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Tue May 24, 2016 3:24 pm

tjmakz wrote:
arambone wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

TJ,

bob

I agree with you Bob.

Maker man crush...

Maker's the better prospect. The same herd of groupthinkers declaring that Bender is a great athlete are the same herd of groupthinkers that declared that Thon Maker is an average athlete with small hands.

Maker is a much better athlete than Bender, and when combined with his ball handling and length it's an elite combination.

This whole thing just goes to show what a joke the mock draft guys are.

Maker has Hall of Fame potential, easily, and could be one of the greatest of all time.

Maker is everything anybody would want in the ideal futuristic draft prospect, except college experience.

That little detail just throws everybody off, makes scouting him harder, and people resent Maker for making their job harder.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue May 24, 2016 3:24 pm

Ram wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Now, here's an interesting question (at least I think it is):

bob

Ummm, Bob, you for real? You take Ingram every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

First off, the Lakers are probably not even considering taking Bender over Ingram. Second thing is, if they are and Philly drafts Ingram #1, LA drafts Simmons #2 and is stocked beyond belief by it.

When Hield was Ingram's ageas a freshman, he averaged 7.8ppg and shot 24% from the 3 point line.
Give Ingram 3 years and he could be a VERY special player.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue May 24, 2016 3:29 pm

arambone wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
arambone wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

TJ,

bob

I agree with you Bob.

Maker man crush...

Maker's the better prospect. The same herd of groupthinkers declaring that Bender is a great athlete are the same herd of groupthinkers that declared that Thon Maker is an average athlete with small hands.

Maker is a much better athlete than Bender, and when combined with his ball handling and length it's an elite combination.

Maker has Hall of Fame potential, easily, and could be one of the greatest of all time.

Maker is everything anybody would want in the ideal futuristic draft prospect, except college experience.

That little detail just throws everybody off, makes scouting him harder, and people resent Maker for making their job harder.

Your man crush for Maker is pretty incredible.
He could be one of the greatest of all time?
Ok, if you say so...
I bet Danny goes against your wishes and does not draft Maker with the #3 pick.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by international Tue May 24, 2016 3:42 pm

To me this is not a surprise,because the Lakers like Bender a lot.Last year at this time people were saying that Okafor,Russell and even Winslow were better than Potzingis,the year before Nikola Jokic was taken in the second round,in 2014 Giannis Antetokuompo was taken 14.When are you going to realize there is a lot of talent in Europe and those players are more ready to play because they are playing professional basketball since 15 or 16 years old.?

international

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Tue May 24, 2016 3:43 pm

tjmakz wrote:
arambone wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
arambone wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

TJ,

bob

I agree with you Bob.

Maker man crush...

Your man crush for Maker is pretty incredible.
He could be one of the greatest of all time?
Ok, if you say so...
I bet Danny goes against your wishes and does not draft Maker with the #3 pick.

I got the same reaction last summer when I said Porzingis looked like a future hall of famer. Now everybody's desperate to find the next Porzingis, but only among white europeans.

Next year it will be something else. Looking for the next Thon Maker but only among Africans, while some white Euro gets completely slept on.

Just like if Bender was in last year's draft he would have been slept on, because Porzingis fever hadn't happened yet, and Bargnani was still the go-to comparison for tall Euros.

If you can't see Maker's potential, I won't try explaining it again.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue May 24, 2016 3:57 pm

No, I absolutely don't see Maker's potential as a future hall of famer, one of the greatest of all time...
Based on your expectations, he should easily be drafted #1 overall.
You don't need to explain your thoughts about him anymore...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue May 24, 2016 3:59 pm

tjmakz wrote:
dboss wrote:TJ.  I am not sure if the Lakers have the  Stomach for a long term rebuild.  

dboss

If the Lakers trade the #2 pick plus Lou Williams, Nick Young and some other asset for a star player, they still have room to easily sign two max free agents.
It's also attractive for free agents when your team already has a star player or two.

The operative word here is 'Star player"

And who might that be?  I do not follow the Lakers enough to consider what needs they have. Is getting a big their # 1 need?

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 pm

dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

dboss

The operative word here is 'Star player"

And who might that be?  I do not follow the Lakers enough to consider what needs they have. Is getting a big their # 1 need?

dboss

The Lakers need a SF and a C.
The only star players I would give up the #2 for are the ones I mentioned earlier.
Jimmy Butler, Paul George or DeMarcus Cousins.
The Lakers could attempt to fill the C need by signing Whiteside, Ezeli or Horford.
Ingram is a perfect fit at SF for the Lakers.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue May 24, 2016 5:11 pm

Danny may be playing head games with Jim Buss, talking up Bender's value to the Celts but really hoping LA will draft him leaving Ingram for us. I would not put this past poker playing Danny.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue May 24, 2016 5:21 pm

worcester wrote:Danny may be playing head games with Jim Buss, talking up Bender's value to the Celts but really hoping  LA will draft him leaving Ingram for us. I would not put this past poker playing Danny.

I haven't seen anywhere where the Celtics management have talked about Bender. I'm sure the Lakers management are not going to be swayed at all by any other general managers.
Lakers have seen Bender in person just like every other team has. And they have the same video at their disposal. There's definitely no head games going on about who the Lakers should choose. This is not a fantasy basketball league  where you can trick novices into taking the wrong player.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue May 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Au contraire TJ. Methinks there are lots of head games, feints and maneuvers to hype interest in one player over another. Think Danny vs. the Nets a few years ago. But I speak strictly as an uniformed, complete outsider. Sort of like the Donald, but without the comb over.

ma·neu·ver
/məˈno͞ovər/
noun
plural noun: maneuvers
1. a movement or series of moves requiring skill and care.
"spectacular jumps and other daring maneuvers"

synonyms: operation, exercise, activity, move, movement, action
"a tricky parking maneuver"

•a carefully planned scheme or action, especially one involving deception.
"shady financial maneuvers"
synonyms: stratagem, tactic, gambit, ploy, trick, dodge, ruse, plan, scheme, operation, device, plot, machination, artifice, subterfuge, intrigue; exit strategy
"diplomatic maneuvers"

•the fact or process of taking carefully planned or deceptive action.
"the economic policy provided no room for maneuver"

2. a large-scale military exercise of troops, warships, and other forces.
"the Russian vessel was on maneuvers"

synonyms: training exercises, exercises, war games, operations
"military maneuvers"
verb 3rd person present: maneuvers

1. move skillfully or carefully.
"the truck was unable to maneuver comfortably in the narrow street"
synonyms: steer, guide, drive, negotiate, navigate, pilot, direct, manipulate, move, work, jockey
"I maneuvered the car into the space"

2. carefully guide or manipulate (someone or something) in order to achieve an end.
"they were maneuvering him into a betrayal of his countryman"

synonyms: intrigue, plot, scheme, plan, lay plans, conspire, pull strings
"he began maneuvering for the party leadership"
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next