Celtics Post-Game Thread (Collection of past threads)

+27
Berlin-T
mulcogiseng
swish
dboss
NYCelt
steve3344
MDCelticFan
NESportsfan12
worcester
bigpygme
Jerry Tarkanian
MDCelticsFan
KellyGreen17
spike
swedeinestonia
mrkleen09
bobheckler
jeb
beat
sinus007
dbrown4
bobc33
cowens/oldschool
gyso
Sam
Pumpsie Green
31 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Celtics Post-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 8 Empty Re: Celtics Post-Game Thread (Collection of past threads)

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:38 pm

Pumpsie Green wrote:

pumpsie,

So, you followed the Celtics during the Glory Years (when they were good), didn't follow them during "the lean years" (when they were bad) and are following them again now when they're good.

I don't know if you've been a Celtic fan longer than I've been alive, maybe you have and maybe not, but you've definitely been a "Fair Weather" Celtic fan longer than I've been alive.

Congrats.

bob[/quote]

HAHAHA...partially guilty as charged Bob. Its not like I didn't check basketball scores every morning in the paper or watch the team when they were on national TV-I did those things. I didn't forget about them or start cheering for the Warriors or the Lakers. Its been tough to get Celtics games (or any Boston sports teams for that matter) out here in CA over the years. Now Comcast offers an NBA add-on that I subscribe to and I can watch the Red Sox on MLB.COM for an annual fee too.
I remember going back to Massachusetts to visit family during the lean years and walking into North Station to connect on the T. I walked up to the box office to see if tickets were still available to see the Celtics that evening and the clerk looked at me funny and said "Of course there are tickets still available. Its not as if Larry Bird still plays here. How many do you want?". I guess I had a lot of company in following the team more peripherally when they were really bad.[/quote]

pumpsie,

Speaking as someone who lives in the bay area and tries to root for the Warriors (whenever they're not playing the Celtics) I am completely sympathetic to you not completely converting to a Warrior fan.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Post-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 8 Empty Re: Celtics Post-Game Thread (Collection of past threads)

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:14 pm

Pumpsie Green wrote:While I admit that I didn't follow the team as closely during the lean years, I have probably been a Celtics fan longer than you have been alive. And I think you misunderstood: unless Sam decides to ban me, I am not going to completely stop posting here any time soon. To do so would deprive you all of my divergent viewpoint. You guys are entitled to your opinions; I am entitled to mine. Its the exchange of opinions that makes any board interesting.

I don’t fault you for falling off, especially as a fan living across the country. Heck, most people I know that live in Boston did the same as you.

Problem I have is that you use your age and the length of time you have been a “fan” when it suits you…..but when the team isn’t that great, you bail out and come back later when they are making a run.

I view the Celtics like I view my relationship with my family and my girl. I take the good with the bad, and I certainly don’t turn my back on them during times of adversity. Maybe that is my Irish, loyal to a fault, upbringing….but I bleed green and no number of years between banners will change that.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:25 pm

Mrkleen,

Hey, I love the Celtics as much as anyone. But, in terms of viewing them like I view my relationship with my wife, there are some areas in which I draw the line.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:26 pm

Fair Point Sam....I havent taken the Celtics out for a romantic dinner since the 80s.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:55 pm

Sam, mrkleen

I've know the Celtics a lot longer than my wife.

When we first started out she understood how important they were. Yeah family has certainly supassed the C's in importance of course but the Celts are really the only sports team I have ever followed closely for nigh on 45 years and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:05 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Fair Point Sam....I havent taken the Celtics out for a romantic dinner since the 80s.

mrkleen,

I haven't either, but I have ruined more than one romantic dinner because I had one eye on the TV over the bar in the other room during said dinner.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:13 pm

Problem I have is that you use your age and the length of time you have been a “fan” when it suits you…..but when the team isn’t that great, you bail out and come back later when they are making a run.

Sometimes the effort is not there and if they are not trying I admit that they are pretty tough to watch. So I leave the board for a while; I am still home watching the game until the outcome is no longer in doubt, rest assured. At no time do I wish that the other team would win. I have been Celtics fan for maybe 35 years or so. It was never a matter of "Well, they are not very good, so I guess I should go root for the Knicks/Sixers/Spurs/fill in the blank". So I guess you could say that even when the team is not playing well, it is you guys that I am bailing on, not the Celtics Laughing
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:06 pm

Hey Bob,

Do you find that, when in the company of someone entering a restaurant with tv sets, you have become an expert in learning, within five second, the precise location of every tv? And situating yourself so you have the broadest panorama of "coverage?"

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:09 pm

Sam wrote:Hey Bob,

Do you find that, when in the company of someone entering a restaurant with tv sets, you have become an expert in learning, within five second, the precise location of every tv? And situating yourself so you have the broadest panorama of "coverage?"

Sam

sam,

At this point it's not a "learning" thing, it's reflexive.

Depending upon whether I want to see the lady again affects my positioning. If I like her I'll give her the seat facing the TVs. If I'm lukewarm or if she's just a friend, then I develop compound eyes like a fly.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Post-Game Thread (Collection of past threads) - Page 8 Empty Post-game Thread: Celts 84 @ Bucks 86, 3/9/10

Post by Sam Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:38 pm

Here's the post-game thread for the Bucks game. Probably a more representative showing by the Bucks (Bogut, Salmons, Delfino) than for the Celtics (got relatively little out of Pierce and three shots from Ray). Playoff intensity...a good tuneup. Liked seeing Michael Finley hit a couple of perimeter shots. Will contribute more later.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:36 pm

I didn't watch this game. Only 3 shots by Ray? What happened?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NESportsfan12 Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:12 am

Ick.
NESportsfan12
NESportsfan12

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:04 am

It was a very well played game.

Celtics did not execute offensively down the stretch - Bogut just killled Perk - Allen didnt get enough shots - Pierce was too worried about the refs to buckle down and play hard - and the second unit never showed up in the 2nd half (after a solid first half) - KG and Rondo looked GREAT - Finley hit a few shots - Pierce has a change to tie it at the buzzer with a shot he hits 70% of the time - Oh well.

The Bucks are hot right now, but this was a game the Celtics should have won.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:47 am

Hadn't seen anyone do that to Perk,not Yao Ming,Duncan or either Superman,Boguts got my vote for all star team next year.Was a really bad stretch at beginning of 4th with Nate just putting on a bad dribbling exhibition without accomplishing anything,during this stretch we lost the lead then came close,but never got it back.We had some nice fastbreaks,but with Ray and Pierce so ice cold was not meant to be.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:20 am

Did you guys see KG letting Nate know whats up after all that ball hogging?

What is the story on Pierce anyway? Not meaning the last shot but in general he has just seemed kind of off since the injury when he and KG were out at the same time..

He has not been able to finish good around the basket and just seem a tad bit out of sync all the time more or less. Does have some small injury that is nagging him or just in a slump?
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:56 am

swedeinestonia wrote:Did you guys see KG letting Nate know whats up after all that ball hogging?

What is the story on Pierce anyway? Not meaning the last shot but in general he has just seemed kind of off since the injury when he and KG were out at the same time..

He has not been able to finish good around the basket and just seem a tad bit out of sync all the time more or less. Does have some small injury that is nagging him or just in a slump?

he doesn't look like himself for a long stretch right now,thumb,knee,foot....take your pick

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:49 am

Didn't watch the game. Only 68 fga by the Celtics? Zero steals by Rondo? Rondo 8-9 from the line? Ray Allen only 3 shots? The Celts had no more turnovers than their opponent?

This has the hallmarks of a strange game.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:01 am

Pierce is killing the flow of the offense lately and hurting the ball movement. He is the main reason that Ray Allen didnt get more than 3 shots. He took on this personal vendetta against Carlos Delfino (who had a career game) and was forcing shots, and getting pissed off at the refs on nearly every play.

Other issue is Nate Robinson is thinking too much. He needs to stop pounding the ball into the ground and just go play basketball. Doc needs to cut him loose and tell him that when he is in the game, go score. He seems to be thinking too much and not reacting.

It was a strange game....and after the Davis hard foul, the Bucks got fired up. But the Celtics still had every opportunity to win down the stretch and just did not get it done.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticFan Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:56 am

I did see KG giving Nate Robinson hell on the bench last night. I don't think KG's game now or ever will return to the level that will entitle him to bark at teammates like that. He should always talk while ON the court to set the defense, but he, Wallace, Perk, and any other team member should quit the chirping to the opposition and the zebras and JUST PLAY BALL!-MD.

MDCelticFan

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:48 pm

Late in the game, KG passed the ball into Perk with the shot clock running down. We needed a bucket really bad at the time.

Either Tommy or Mike said that was the wrong thing to do.

Just one more entry to the poor decision/bad execution that led to the loss.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:52 pm

Locker room goings on? i truly hope not !

Globe
"Ray Allen had a difficult time explaining why he attempted only three shots last night against the Bucks. He attributed it to a lack of ball movement, and many times in the 86-84 loss, the ball stopped moving when it got to Paul Pierce...

Boston was 7 for 19 from the field in the fourth quarter and it was apparent that the offensive cohesiveness that allowed the Celtics to lead most of the second half had come to a halt.

“I didn’t think it was good,’’ Allen said about the ball movement. “It wasn’t consistent all night. We really didn’t score. We were down 8 so we had to score. I thought we did an OK job the last minute or two, but we didn’t score.’’

Allen averaged 18.7 points over his previous 10 games before scoring just 3 last night."

So Ray didn't disappear - he was there. they just didn't make the pass that they needed to make to find him. ball stopped moving when it got to Paul, as observers have noted, and PP seemed to take on Delfino mano-a-mano and didn't fare well, as Delfino had a remarkable night.

Sam often comments that there are things can't know and don't see - could this be an example?

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:42 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Hadn't seen anyone do that to Perk,not Yao Ming,Duncan or either Superman,Boguts got my vote for all star team next year.Was a really bad stretch at beginning of 4th with Nate just putting on a bad dribbling exhibition without accomplishing anything,during this stretch we lost the lead then came close,but never got it back.We had some nice fastbreaks,but with Ray and Pierce so ice cold was not meant to be.

Cow,

Brook Lopez did the same thing to him a week and a half ago, outscored him 25-2 and had his way with him all night. David Lee (28 points) did the same a week before that.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by NESportsfan12 Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Perk has not looked anything past mediocre lately. His rebounding numbers have been mediocre, and his defensive effort? Sub par.
NESportsfan12
NESportsfan12

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:01 pm

NESportsfan12 wrote:Perk has not looked anything past mediocre lately. His rebounding numbers have been mediocre, and his defensive effort? Sub par.

I agree. And I'm shocked at how much his game has dropped off at both ends of the court the past couple of months. This can't continue if the Celts are to go deep in the playoffs.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:26 pm

MDCelticFan wrote: I don't think KG's game now or ever will return to the level that will entitle him to bark at teammates like that. He should always talk while ON the court to set the defense, but he, Wallace, Perk, and any other team member should quit the chirping to the opposition and the zebras and JUST PLAY BALL!-MD.

Disagree. Guy is a sure fire, first ballot HALL OF FAMER. He has earned the right to say whatever he wants about basketball to anyone, anytime.

If Nate doesnt like it, he can catch the next bus back to NYC with the rest of those losers.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next