Ante Zizic

5 posters

Go down

Ante Zizic Empty Ante Zizic

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:34 pm

I thought I'd give this kid his own thread, since there's a good chance he'll play for us next year (due to Tyler Zeller's weak season and free agency), and he really, really wants to leave Europe and play in the NBA.

David Pick @IAmDPick BOSTON: Ante Zizic was FIBA Center of the Year. I love this kid. Has huge offer in Europe, but wants to go to NBA. 7:12 PM - 23 Jun 2016 31 31 Retweets 32 32 likes

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2016/06/celtics_notebook_third_first_rounder_ante_zizic_likes_physical_play

Celtics notebook: Third first-rounder Ante Zizic likes physical play

Croatian likes physical play

Mark Murphy Friday, June 24, 2016

Ante Zizic Zizic
Credit: AP
Ante Zizic, right, poses for a photo with NBA Commissioner Adam Silver after being selected 23rd overall by the Boston Celtics during the NBA basketball draft, Thursday, June 23, 2016, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)

Ante Zizic, the bruising Croatian center the Celtics took with the 23rd pick in last night’s NBA draft, has not discussed the possibility of being a so-called draft-and-stash player.

“I’m going to see what will happen, but I need a day to think about it, to talk to the guys on the club about it,” Zizic said.

Unlike some European big men, he has a reputation for playing physical basketball or, as some describe it, a mean streak.

“It’s my style of play,” said Zizic, who grew up playing with fellow first-rounder Dragan Bender (No. 4 to Phoenix), but emulated someone who will be familiar to Celtics fans.

“Dino Radja. I know him but not very well,” he said. “But I met him. I know he played for the Celtics.”

Slighting Bender

After seeing Bender in person twice in the last two weeks, once in Israel and on Tuesday in Waltham, the Celtics walked away unimpressed, leading to the decision not to draft the tall, floor-spacing Croatian forward.

Danny Ainge and Austin Ainge both felt his size continued to be an issue.

“He’s just so slight,” Austin said recently of concerns that never abated.

Bender came off the bench for Maccabi Tel Aviv and didn’t break the rotation in a number of games, making it difficult to judge his play this winter. Judgments, instead, were based on his success as a junior in Croatia’s national program.

Phoenix general manager Ryan McDonough, who developed his hoop chops under Danny Ainge, didn’t hesitate. He took Bender with the fourth pick.

Boo party

News of the team taking Jaylen Brown with the third pick triggered a room full of boos from season ticket-holders at the Garden’s draft party, but the 19-year-old certainly left a strong impression with the Celts.

“Danny and his staff feel that he’s got significant upside,” said Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck. “He’s already an accomplished player at a young age. We feel that he’s got the physique and the competitive drive, and the motor, and the skills, and really important the character and the intelligence.

“He’s a very, very smart guy. I chatted with him a bit when he came to work out. Got to know him a bit. I went to Stanford, he went to Cal. We’ll just leave that right there. We can get over that, but really impressed with Jaylen, A to Z. And looking forward to having him in Celtics green, and think it’s the right move for our team at this time and in the future.”

Thomas the tweeter

Last night’s viewing, and listening, wasn’t only uncomfortable for Celtics fans. Isaiah Thomas, after hearing an ESPN commentator say that he overachieved last season, jumped on Twitter, his favorite forum.

“Overachieved? Damn this is a good summer lol. There is always something!” the Celtics point guard tweeted, adding another slight to his sizable pile of motivational material.

Jae Crowder, undoubtedly motivated by all of the talk about the Celtics’ failed attempt to trade for the Bulls’ Jimmy Butler, also got busy with the following tweet: “I HEAR YOU GUYS! #MOTIVATION”

The tweet was accompanied by a “thinking face” emoji.

bob
MY NOTE:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ante-Zizic-68722/

6'11 1/2", 250#, 7'2 1/2" wingspan, 9'3" standing reach.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Ante Zizic Empty Re: Ante Zizic

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:13 pm

Thanks for posting this. What I really liked is that even in the "weaknesses" video, I see a tough kid who is very aware of position, and constantly battling to keep get in position on offense and keep his opponent out of position on D. Even junior high school players understand the importance of this concept, but I really think it takes a particular mental make-up to relentlessly pursue positional battles. He looks tough, and seems like a relentless grinder.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:56 pm

he sure don't look like Olynck

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:04 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:he sure don't look like Olynck

And I don't think you're referring to his hair.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:43 pm

Cowens,

Just because both guys are about the same size does not mean that they have to be identical players.

I am sure that Zizic is not going to shoot 40% on three pointers just as Olynyk is never going to be a low post banger.

There is always plenty of room on a roster for guys with different strengths. I trust that Stevens will make positive use of both guys just like he has done with just about every player that has been a Cs uniform since he arrived from Butler.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down