Post Game Thread - vs Phoenix Suns, Vegas Summer League Game 2

+3
wideclyde
worcester
cowens/oldschool
7 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Phoenix Suns, Vegas Summer League Game 2 Empty Post Game Thread - vs Phoenix Suns, Vegas Summer League Game 2

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:37 am

Boxscore:

http://www.nba.com/games/20160710/PHXBOS/gameinfo.html

I didn't watch the game, I followed it on an app.

We are getting outrebounded all the time.  That's because Bentil is 6'10" and soft and Mickey is 6'8".  Those are our "bigs".

After deadly shooting in Utah we can't throw the ball into the desert from the edge of the Strip in Vegas.  35% last night.  Jaylen Brown was 0-6 and is now some awful 20% or something like that in summer league play.

Mickey came on in the 4th and ended up the Celtic high scorer with 18.  Hunter with 17 and a duel with Booker who must be one helluva shooter.

We went from the undefeated champions of the Utah league to eliminated from the Vegas playoffs in just two games.  

Marc D'Amico
@celtics about 8 hours ago
Jamie Young on Abdel Nader: "I think he's been a huge surprise. He plays hard. He's aggressive ... Both days (in Vegas), he has brought it."

Reply Retweet Like

Marc D'Amico
@celtics about 8 hours ago
RJ Hunter on how he felt tonight compared to yesterday: "I was forcing it (yesterday), so I just kind of let the game come to me (tonight)."

Reply Retweet Like

Adam Himmelsbach
Adam Himmelsbach
@AdamHimmelsbach yesterday
Jaylen Brown still scuffling with his shot, now 5 for 24 overall in summer league play.

Reply Retweet Like

Brian Robb
@CelticsHub yesterday
Some nice footwork by Guerschon on that And-1.

Reply Retweet Like

Gary Washburn
@GwashburnGlobe yesterday
Yabusele with a nice dribble drive against Marquese Chriss for the and-1. The big man has skills. #Celtics

Reply Retweet Like

Jared Weiss
@CLNS_JaredWeiss yesterday
Yabusele being able to change course and make a nice drive from the top of the key is an ideal trait for a 5.

Reply Retweet Like

Mark Murphy
@Murf56 yesterday
Brad Stevens, asked about remaining needs, summed it up in one word - "Shooting."

Reply Retweet Like

Brian Robb
@CelticsHub yesterday
Stevens on needs: "Whether it’s by development or by addition, whatever the case may be, shooting is going to be the primary need."

Reply Retweet Like

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Phoenix Suns, Vegas Summer League Game 2 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Phoenix Suns, Vegas Summer League Game 2

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:59 am

Jaylen Brown's shot is off, but the defensive intensity is there had a great block on Chriss and Booker. Yabusele looked good as did Mickey with some nice finishes and blocks. Its only SL young guys working on things, I still like Brown and see why Danny drafted him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Phoenix Suns, Vegas Summer League Game 2 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Phoenix Suns, Vegas Summer League Game 2

Post by worcester Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:24 am

Hey gang. It's good to be back in the USSR, especially since I got to watch the 2nd half last night. Impression #1- I am definitely voting for Nader for President. The kid plays big and long, has a great nose for the ball rebounding, has an excellent shot, can drive to the basket, and plays heads up D. In college last year, he shot a career-best 48.7 percent from the field and 37.1 percent from 3-point range. He has a 7'1
wingspan and is everything James Young is not at SF. I say he's a keeper.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:48 pm

worcester wrote:Hey gang. It's good to be back in the USSR, especially since I got to watch the 2nd half last night.  Impression #1- I am definitely voting for Nader for President. The kid plays big and long, has a great nose for the ball rebounding, has an excellent shot, can drive to the basket, and plays heads up D. In college last year, he shot a career-best 48.7 percent from the field and 37.1 percent from 3-point range. He has a 7'1

I did not see the game last night, but it sounds like James Young may have been passed over by yet another guy on the Cs roster.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:55 pm

wideclyde wrote:
worcester wrote:Hey gang. It's good to be back in the USSR, especially since I got to watch the 2nd half last night.  Impression #1- I am definitely voting for Nader for President. The kid plays big and long, has a great nose for the ball rebounding, has an excellent shot, can drive to the basket, and plays heads up D. In college last year, he shot a career-best 48.7 percent from the field and 37.1 percent from 3-point range. He has a 7'1

I did not see the game last night, but it sounds like James Young may have been passed over by yet another guy on the Cs roster.

Clyde,

Rozier and Young were given the night off, so don't read too much into his lack of playing time last night. Personally, I think coach Jamie Young blew it. If the goal was to evaluate as many players as possible then the best way to do that is to win enough games so that you qualify for the summer league playoffs, and play more games. By losing both of our first two Vegas games we are out of the playoffs. I realize summer league isn't about winning or losing but evaluating the players, but telling Rozier and Young they were getting the night off (whether they liked it or not, and Rozier most certainly did not) was very short-sighted.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:09 pm

I like Nader too, Worcester. He is showing up well. I would definitely like to see him on the roster over a few of the other participants. Young is playing better than I would have thought but still not good enuf for a roster spot. Danny makes a trade, he should be included.

I was surprised to look at the box score and see Mickey the leading scorer. He hasn't impressed me yet. I am still waiting to see the high flying shot blocker! He may just be a journey man DLeager. Hope Hunter keeps playing and scoring so he can be included in any trade as well. No doubt he can fill an end of bench kind of role but not on a contender

The keepers are clearly Jaylen and Guerschon. Brown needs to shoot every shot in his arenal 1000 times and then do it again and again. He gets open, he gets fouled, but he needs to finish. I think he will be fine but as many said we needed major help this season and he is one year away. He will probably be one of the most improved players from now till next year.

I've been kind of partial to that #9 for the past few years and I've already started thinking of picking one up, but right now I'm a bigger fan of Yabusele. He is raw but oh so talented and heady. He surprises me a couple of times each game. Can't wait to hear Tommy say "I love Guerschon!"

My biggest disappointment so far in this phase of the rebuild is that Zizic can't play this year. He is what we need in terms of rebounding. Gonna have to dust off a "Wait till next year" for him I guess. I don't know if a decision was made that he wasn't quite ready this year or if there were problems with a buyout of his contract. But the last two games have shown a need for rebounding as well as shooting.

There has been a clear drop off in play from Utah to Vegas. Just wondering if any of this could be a result of the coaching change? I'm going to relish this next week as there will be a long wait for the next game action.

#17goingon18
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:11 pm

Bob, you are so right. The coach did not substitute to win the game and that cost us a chance for two more chances to evaluate, those few of us that is who have a such direct role in determining the Celtics roster going forward.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:14 pm

Totally agree Mulcogiseng. Spot on analysis.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by arambone Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:52 pm

I'm guessing the Celtics don't want to drag summer league on. They don't really need a better look at Rozier, for instance, and why risk injuries. Celtics weren't going anywhere in these summer league playoffs with the roster as constructed anyway.

I doubt the decision to bench Rozier and Young was made by the C's assistant assistant to the assistant.

arambone

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:47 pm

You are probably right arambone, especially after the first game scare with Brown. Hard for me to see two competitive guys like Danny and Brad not wanting these guys to get as many games in as possible though. I'm sure their projecting starting five for summer league hasn't seen the floor yet and that's a shame.  Perhaps the best thing that may come out of summer is the improvement in value as trade chips for Hunter and Young. Both have hit shots and Young has even emerged as a leader of sorts. He may still be a couple of years away from actually being able to play at a high level. But there may be hope if he goes some place else and can play. As far as not going anywhere in the summer league playoffs is concerned, well, I guess we can take solace in being the UtahLeague champs. lol  Time to start thinking of fall rosters and how Danny can change them overnight.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:21 pm

bob,,

I did see from the box score that Young did not play last night, but was making an evaluation that Nader may have passed him on Worcester's statements relating to Nader and my previous evaluations of Young.  

Unlike the Cs brass, I no longer need to see James Young even one more second to tell him that he will not have a roster spot this season.  Two full years of coaching, albeit little game time, and he still has not improved very much with his skills.  He may be literally the only guy that Stevens and his staff have not been able to reach who have been around for the same amount of time.  He has developed his body a good bit from the skinny kid he was two years ago, but that is about it.

Of course, I know that the brass will keep saying good things about him because his trade value would only sink further down the hole (from where it is now, phew) if they said anything negative at all.  So, for hopes of using him in a trade (in any way possible), I will go on record officially telling the world that "he (Young) is still young and improving" even if the second part is a big, fat lie.

He may go on to become a decent player in time (how long??), but I have seen enough of him in a Cs uniform. Oops...

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:16 pm

And in other summer league news not worthy of its own thread...

Tim MacMahon – Verified account ‏@espn_macmahon

Thon Maker managed to foul out of the Bucks' summer league loss to the Grizzlies. Yes, he got called for 10 fouls.
3:01 PM - 11 Jul 2016
115 RETWEETS135 LIKES

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:10 pm

bobheckler wrote:And in other summer league news not worthy of its own thread...

Tim MacMahon – Verified account ‏@espn_macmahon

Thon Maker managed to foul out of the Bucks' summer league loss to the Grizzlies. Yes, he got called for 10 fouls.
3:01 PM - 11 Jul 2016
115 RETWEETS135 LIKES

bob

Well, he got another double double. Just with points and fouls this time....
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down