NYCelt
wideclyde
bobheckler
cowens/oldschool
sinus007
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NBA execs expect Celtics to keep tabs on Anthony Davis Empty NBA execs expect Celtics to keep tabs on Anthony Davis

Post by 112288 Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:27 pm

NBA execs expect Celtics to keep tabs on Anthony Davis

WEEI - Ty Anderson
July 17, 2017 - 8:17 pm

On paper, the Celtics look done. But in reality, C’s president Danny Ainge is never done.

Especially when it comes to his pursuit of the Pelicans’ Anthony Davis, who remains the centerpiece an almost Bigfoot hunter-esque chase for Ainge, even after signing Gordon Hayward to a max deal and seemingly finding a new Big Three in Hayward, Al Horford, and Isaiah Thomas.

“Rival executives expect Boston to be keeping close tabs on New Orleans, which is entering a critical season,” The Vertical's Chris Mannix wrote of this upcoming season. “The Pelicans are committed to seeing if an Anthony Davis-DeMarcus Cousins frontcourt can work, but if the season goes awry, it’s widely believed the Celtics will make a strong run at Davis, who is under contract through 2020.”

As noted by Mannix, the C’s own both the Nets’ and Lakers’ 2018 picks (the Brooklyn pick is Boston’s no matter what, and the L.A. pick goes to the Celtics if the pick falls anywhere between No. 2 and No. 5), which only adds to a treasure chest headlined by even more first-round picks (their own and picks from both the Clippers and Grizzlies still at their disposal), along with some star-studded prospects coming into the NBA mix.

But the Celtics -- ironically enough given the rumors that once linked them to this player, too -- will have to wait to see how DeMarcus Cousins fits into the New Orleans mix.

The ‘BoogieBrow’ combination had just 17 games together last season, with the Pelicans going 7-10 when Cousins played, and they ultimately missed out on the postseason by two spots (they were seven wins behind the eight-seed Trail Blazers). But with Jrue Holiday there to support a loaded frontcourt mix of Cousins (who saw his scoring go down, but his rebounding increase with the Pelicans) and Davis, it’s clear that the Pelicans view themselves as a possible contender, and if so, would obviously like to extend Cousins beyond his current contract, which ends after next season.

Of course, this would not be the first time that the Celtics have allegedly expressed interest in Davis (who wouldn’t?), with his name first coming up when the Celtics officially landed the 2017 No. 1 overall pick, and in fan-driven rumors long before that.

The 24-year-old Davis, who was the No. 1 overall pick in 2012, averaged a career-best 28.0 points, 11.8 rebounds, and 36:06 of action per night in 75 games last season, and has been named to the All-NBA First Team two times in his career, including 2016-17.

Back to top Go down

NBA execs expect Celtics to keep tabs on Anthony Davis Empty Re: NBA execs expect Celtics to keep tabs on Anthony Davis

Post by sinus007 Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:32 am

Hi,
If Danny's hunting for AD and he becomes available my question is is he worth BKN '18 pick?
I'm pretty sure that Pelicans would be asking for it.
I'm leaning towards "yes". You?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

NBA execs expect Celtics to keep tabs on Anthony Davis Empty Re: NBA execs expect Celtics to keep tabs on Anthony Davis

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:35 am

Yes,

IF

AD signs an extension beyond his current 2 years left on his contract.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:00 am

Gonna take a lot more than the Brooklyn pick to get AD.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:22 am

Q:  Would I trade the Brooklyn pick for Anthony Davis?

A:  So fast I would sprain my finger dialing NOP's GM.  A big is what we are hoping for with that pick and does anybody think we'll draft someone better than one of the top 3 bigs in the league?

Q:  Would it take more than the Brooklyn pick to land Anthony Davis?

A:  Hell yeah.  Name the price.  Wings are where the league is going but bigs of his quality are still in high demand and in extremely short supply. Wings, by virtue of their popularity, are a dime-a-dozen.

Q:  Would I insist upon a contract extension?

A:  No.  I would beg, on hands and knees if necessary, for one. Get him here, let Brad show him his magic and let him feel the Pride and I'll trust he'll stay.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi,
Re: AD extending.
I think if he gets into Boston he will stay. Unless, of course, he doesn't care about getting a ring.
IMO, if Danny gets him it puts Celtics in position to beat Cavs and be very close to GSW.
I don't know about situation in the WC teams (cap room, trading assets) but in the EC we are "da man"

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:04 pm

How fast would the Brooklyn pick and the Lakers pick take to change hands between Boston and the Pelicans for Anthony Davis?

Filling the salary equalization requirements would also not take long, in my opinion.

There will be plenty of competition to land this guy if he indeed becomes available, but the Cs may have more of everything to get the trade made.

Of course, the Cs will look into acquiring Davis.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:12 pm

NBA execs expect Celtics to keep tabs on Anthony Davis.

...In further news, The Pelicans and 28 other teams are expected to do the same.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:14 pm

Anthony Davis is under contract for 3 more years.
His 4th year is a player option.
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/new-orleans-pelicans-team-salary/

It's hard to imagine New Orleans would trade AD, especially after just giving a $126m contract to Jrue Holiday.
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-orleans-pelicans/yearly/cap/
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:31 pm

NYCelt and TJ,
What's wrong with you, guys? Why are trying to wake me up from such a wonderful dream?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:37 pm

sinus007 wrote:NYCelt and TJ,
What's wrong with you, guys? Why are trying to wake me up from such a wonderful dream?

AK

AK,

Sorry. I apologize. I won't do it again.

Pleasant dreams!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:38 pm

112288 wrote:Yes,

IF

AD signs an extension beyond his current 2 years left on his contract.

I'd take the chance that after two years in Boston he would sign, so I wouldn't even add that condition.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:58 pm

Current Contract

Anthony Davis signed a 5 year / $127,171,313 contract with the New Orleans Pelicans, including $127,171,313 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $25,434,263. In 2017-18, Davis will earn a base salary of $23,775,506, while carrying a cap hit of $23,775,506 and a dead cap value of $105,054,563.
Contract:5 yr(s) / $127,171,313 Bonus:- Avg. Salary:$25,434,263 Signed Using:Bird Free Agent:2021 / UFA

Looking at his contract...........it's a pipe dream!

You would have to start by giving up multiple #1's plus a Tatum or like player to even begin discussions.

I will not say it cannot happen..............the probability of it happening is 1000 to 1 unless the NOP GM is a nit wit!

NICE MID SUMMER NIGHTS DREAM!

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:26 pm

Big Big question. Who are the players that we trade that would satisfy N.O while at the same time provide matching salaries ?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:34 pm

Does Horford come to mind?

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:41 pm

112288 wrote:Does Horford come to mind?

Hi,
I think Horford for Davis defeats the idea of constructing a team capable to compete with GSW.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Yup. I think Danny would trade anyone on the Celtics to get Davis. I probably would too.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:44 pm

Take on Horford with his 27 mil salary for Davis ! There would be rioting in New Orleans.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:48 pm

You asked for matching salaries I threw it out there. Yes rioting however it would give them a shortened contract and cap space freed up to get other free agents.

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:58 pm

112288 wrote:You asked for matching salaries I threw it out there. Yes rioting however it would give them a shortened contract and cap space freed up to get other free agents.

Horford instead of Davis for the next 3 years ?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:07 pm

Guys, Horford would have to be in the deal. And about 5 picks, Tatum and Brown. Assuming they will max out IT, we can't have 4 max contracts on the books......Now, if IT is in the deal, I think we can keep Horford......pick your poison
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:45 pm

If this is true and they are really thinking of trying to get AD if available, Mike Zarren already has numbers rolling around in his head about how to do it. This guy is a cap genius, Danny's right arm when it comes to the Cap and probably one of the most sought after guys on this team. They must pay him handsomely to stay here

Anthony Davis would be the next coming of KG, only younger. He would be a game and team changer for sure. There is nothing not to like about his game. However, what would make him available instead of Cousens? and, please, keep HIM away. If that experiment does not work, why get rid of AD unless he expresses his displeasure with his situation. He is very loyal to NO right now, it remains to be seen what could happen in the future.

It is nice to dream about this kind of a move though, We never thought KG would come her either.

Which brings me to another question? Since announcing that they will retire Paul's number, what are the chances that KG's goes up at some point in time. Notice they have not given it to anyone to wear since he left. Hayward has Allen's so that answers any question there. What do you think?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:47 pm

The AD pipe dream reflects a serious crack addition.  I would recommend that anyone suffering from this malady report to the clinic on Monday morning to begin treatment.

Seriously

You can have the Crooklyn pick and any other picks. Take Horford and thrown in Jaylen Brown.  do you want fries with that order.  No problem.

Sometimes it defies reality that articles like this even get published but just for fun (summer league is done) I am always game for an amusing exercise.

Anthony Davis is first team all NBA for the 2nd time in his career.  He is the best of the best at his position.  The paring of him and Cousins did not go so well.  Why?  Someone has to decide who gets the ball.  A Celtics style offense could  never fully exploit the amazing talent of a Davis/Cousins frontline.  Why?  because they do not have a single player on this team that could get them the ball when and where they are most productive.  Those players do not just need looks.  They need a lot of looks but the ball must be shared equally.  

Enter x-Celtics Rajon Rondo who just was signed to a 12 month contract.  It is make or break time for Cousins to remain with this team.  Accept the fact that AD is not going anywhere.  The Pelicans want to make it work.  Cousins lobbied for Rajon and rightfully so considering that their one year campaign in Sacramento produced outstanding results.  Cousins had a tremendous year playing with Rondo.  During that year Rondo averaged a league leading 11.7 assists per game to go long with 11.9 points and 6 rebounds.

If Rondo is able to run the offense and maximize the production from the Davis/Cousins paring, NO will not be looking to move either one of them anytime soon.  I think Rondo is a perfect fit for them because he has already established a template while running the Celtics offense with their BIG three

Therefore the notion that the Celtics have a realistic chance to get Davis is more remote than a scientific expedition on Antarctica.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks dboss, exactly how I feel. Why the hell would they get rid of him? and from what I have read about him, he is extremely loyal to New Orleans.
So, if it does not work, exit Cousens, not AD. You say make or break time for Cousens, I say make or break time for Rondo. The guy who wanted to hold Danny up for a max contract, got traded instead, got dumped by Dallas, went to Sacto for small change, ended up in Chicago, where they supposedly were going to trade him at the deadline but hat no takers, played well in the two playoff games before getting injured, got cut, signed with New Orleans for ???? So, Rondo, that personality glitch you have has cost you tons of money, and, if you don't make it here, you may end up over seas!!! So, it is make or break for the two of them.

Sorry, AD is a pipe dream. You should hear them nightly discussing this on the idiot shows. Tanguay guarantees he is coming here! Idiots
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:30 pm

dboss wrote:The AD pipe dream reflects a serious crack addition.  I would recommend that anyone suffering from this malady report to the clinic on Monday morning to begin treatment.

Seriously

You can have the Crooklyn pick and any other picks. Take Horford and thrown in Jaylen Brown.  do you want fries with that order.  No problem.

Sometimes it defies reality that articles like this even get published but just for fun (summer league is done) I am always game for an amusing exercise.

Anthony Davis is first team all NBA for the 2nd time in his career.  He is the best of the best at his position.  The paring of him and Cousins did not go so well.  Why?  Someone has to decide who gets the ball.  A Celtics style offense could  never fully exploit the amazing talent of a Davis/Cousins frontline.  Why?  because they do not have a single player on this team that could get them the ball when and where they are most productive.  Those players do not just need looks.  They need a lot of looks but the ball must be shared equally.  

Enter x-Celtics Rajon Rondo who just was signed to a 12 month contract.  It is make or break time for Cousins to remain with this team.  Accept the fact that AD is not going anywhere.  The Pelicans want to make it work.  Cousins lobbied for Rajon and rightfully so considering that their one year campaign in Sacramento produced outstanding results.  Cousins had a tremendous year playing with Rondo.  During that year Rondo averaged a league leading 11.7 assists per game to go long with 11.9 points and 6 rebounds.

If Rondo is able to run the offense and maximize the production from the Davis/Cousins paring, NO will not be looking to move either one of them anytime soon.  I think Rondo is a perfect fit for them because he has already established a template while running the Celtics offense with their BIG three

Therefore the notion that the Celtics have a realistic chance to get Davis is more remote than a scientific expedition on Antarctica.

dboss

"Therefore the notion that the Celtics have a realistic chance to get Davis is more remote than a scientific expedition on Antarctica."

Quote of the day!

And probably the most accurate take on the situation IMO.

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next