Post Game Thread - Portland Trailblazers - Away

3 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - Portland Trailblazers - Away Empty Post Game Thread - Portland Trailblazers - Away

Post by worcester Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:21 am

I got to watch this game. It was like the Pats win. Horrible first Q. 2nd was better, 4th was fabulous. Jalen is really getting it. He's a rookie and already stepping up. Yes, he missed a few layups. That timing will come, but he was really good on D and from 3 point land. He made smart passes, and overall is showing himself to be the best rookie in this year's draft.

Marcus was so valuable in every way last night. Superb D, stealing the ball like crazy, passing like a fine PG should, rebounding, even shooting well...the guy is clutch and such a keeper. Gerald Green contributed mightily too. Even Kelly played well, despite having a bunch of fouls weighing on him. Given that we were without Jae and Avery, 40% of our starters out on a back to back 3000 miles from home, it was one hellluva victoire. So proud of these guys. What a team, Great coaching too.

Last edited by worcester on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - Portland Trailblazers - Away Empty Re: Post Game Thread - Portland Trailblazers - Away

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:45 am

Vive La Victoire!  At least I got to watch the first 3 quarters until the the foot-tapping of the waitresses and hard stares of the sushi chef drove me out of Ozumas.  You would think west coast games would be more convenient for a left coaster but they aren't for me.

Must have  been a helluva 4th quarter because we were shooting well under 45% at halftime and ended up over 48%.  8 players in double digits.

Kelly and Jaylen Brown tied for Celtic high rebounders with 7, Kelly's in only 23 minutes.  We got the good Kelly last night.  

It seems like Jonas Jerebko's effectiveness has really taken a hit (no pun intended) since he broke his nose.  He is wearing a mask but he is playing much more tentatively.

91 fgas is VERY nice, as is holding them to only 77.  FG%, FTM, rebounds were all close.  The stats that show separation are TOs (8 vs 15), blocks (1 vs 6) and FGAs (91 vs 77).  Pace won this game.

Despite missing the 4th quarter I had a very enjoyable game.  I spent most of the 3rd quarter on the phone talking about the play-by-play with my friend, Worcester, in Florida.  Also, I got a VERY pleasant surprise at Ozumas.  I found out that BobC called them from Massachusetts and tried to buy me a sake.  They don't take credit cards over the phone, so it didn't work but the thought definitely counts.  I had another one for you, buddy, I owe you one.  It is exactly, precisely stuff like this that makes this board different from every other one.  Because we are convivial and courteous, because we leave politics and religion off a sports board, we can meet for games (as has been done in Boston at the Gahden and Atlanta, where several of our board members live) or hang out together at a bar or someone's apartment and watch a game together (as we have done in NY, and as I have done with with Cowens and Steve1344).  This place, and the type of people it attracts, is special.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400900203

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - Portland Trailblazers - Away Empty Re: Post Game Thread - Portland Trailblazers - Away

Post by worcester Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:51 am

This really is a special board, and if anyone wants a real treat, go for a 189 mile pilgrimage hike from Portugal to Spain with Bob. The most ironic part of that trip was at the very end, when we staggered into the courtyard of the Cathedral de Santiago, who was there but someone from Lynn, Massachuisetts taking photos with the Celtic logo plastered to the back of his camera. God is a Celtics fan, no doubt!
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:19 am

bobheckler wrote:Vive La Victoire!  At least I got to watch the first 3 quarters until the the foot-tapping of the waitresses and hard stares of the sushi chef drove me out of Ozumas.  You would think west coast games would be more convenient for a left coaster but they aren't for me.

Must have  been a helluva 4th quarter because we were shooting well under 45% at halftime and ended up over 48%.  8 players in double digits.

Kelly and Jaylen Brown tied for Celtic high rebounders with 7, Kelly's in only 23 minutes.  We got the good Kelly last night.  

It seems like Jonas Jerebko's effectiveness has really taken a hit (no pun intended) since he broke his nose.  He is wearing a mask but he is playing much more tentatively.

91 fgas is VERY nice, as is holding them to only 77.  FG%, FTM, rebounds were all close.  The stats that show separation are TOs (8 vs 15), blocks (1 vs 6) and FGAs (91 vs 77).  Pace won this game.

Despite missing the 4th quarter I had a very enjoyable game.  I spent most of the 3rd quarter on the phone talking about the play-by-play with my friend, Worcester, in Florida.  Also, I got a VERY pleasant surprise at Ozumas.  I found out that BobC called them from Massachusetts and tried to buy me a sake.  They don't take credit cards over the phone, so it didn't work but the thought definitely counts.  I had another one for you, buddy, I owe you one.  It is exactly, precisely stuff like this that makes this board different from every other one.  Because we are convivial and courteous, because we leave politics and religion off a sports board, we can meet for games (as has been done in Boston at the Gahden and Atlanta, where several of our board members live) or hang out together at a bar or someone's apartment and watch a game together (as we have done in NY, and as I have done with with Cowens and Steve1344).  This place, and the type of people it attracts, is special.

bob

agree Bob and without Sam as the captain of the ship... you certainly are commended for the unofficial one in my book. Not sure the % of threads started by you but suffice to say it's most of them.

As most of you know Marcus is doing his thing with the SU Women's team ( video and stats of all the games and traveling too. ) They flew to Raleigh yesterday for a game against ACC foe Duke this evening. Of course somewhere along the line he talked with the assistant Duke men's coach and snagged a pair of tickets to last evenings NC- Duke game. And being the economist he is...........sold them to the SU coach for quite a few bucks, and supposedly an ongoing job with the team upon his graduation in the spring.

As for the C's last evening we had everything looking against us, coming off a terrible loss the night before going against a pretty good team at home on rest. And in the end we pulled away easily.

Will we see a move/trade in the next 10+ days, my thinking is NO for now.

Come closer to the draft. Perhaps things might change.

The Cavs continue to sail into the berg. I do hope that somehow they get Anthony and the baggage that he will bring. Lifeboats have been lowered on the Knicks cruse ship and right now he appears to be left on board.

Oh well not our problem.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:13 am

beat wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Vive La Victoire!  At least I got to watch the first 3 quarters until the the foot-tapping of the waitresses and hard stares of the sushi chef drove me out of Ozumas.  You would think west coast games would be more convenient for a left coaster but they aren't for me.

bob

agree Bob and without Sam as the captain of the ship... you certainly are commended for the unofficial one in my book. Not sure the % of threads started by you but suffice to say it's most of them.  

As most of you know Marcus is doing his thing with the SU Women's team ( video and stats of all the games and traveling too. ) They flew to Raleigh yesterday for a game against ACC foe Duke this evening.  Of course somewhere along the line he talked with the assistant Duke men's coach and snagged a pair of tickets to last evenings NC- Duke game. And being the economist he is...........sold them to the SU coach for quite a few bucks, and supposedly an ongoing job with the team upon his graduation in the spring.  

As for the C's last evening we had everything looking against us, coming off a terrible loss the night before going against a pretty good team at home on rest.  And in the end we pulled away easily.  

Will we see a move/trade in the next 10+ days, my thinking is NO for now.

Come closer to the draft. Perhaps things might change.

The Cavs continue to sail into the berg.  I do hope that somehow they get Anthony and the baggage that he will bring. Lifeboats have been lowered on the Knicks cruse ship and right now he appears to be left on board.

Oh well not our problem.

beat

beat,

Thanks but I'm just a cut-and-paster, which is not a mod's job, anybody can and should do it.  Board members like dboss, wideclyde and arambone (when he shows up), kdp and a few others are the ones who really produce the original content for this site.  In fact, cutting-and-pasting takes up so much of my time I don't think I could spare time for original thoughts.  GYSO creates EVERY GAme On! thread and NYCelt and others do back room maintenance on this site that I don't even know about.  And I certainly cannot fill Sam's shoes, although I am proud to contribute to helping to maintain a community of basketball junkies I know he was quite proud of.  I know this because San Francisco was one of his favorite cities (Paris being the other) and he would come out here for visits every year and we'd have dinner together and he would tell me that every time we did.

Very happy to hear Marcus is making his way.  I could tell from the first time I met him he had an awareness about him that kids don't usually have at that age (I believe he was 15 when that was?).  So, he is getting a permanent job with SU after graduation?  I guess the Celtics will just have to make him an offer he can't refuse, like they did with Brad.  I'm sure Dad would be making MANY road trips, and see a lot of Celtic basketball, if that were to happen.  That might be the only job that would convince me to come back east and brave the NE winters.  Oh well, if you can't have that at least you're getting your best friend to stick around in Onondaga County after school is done, and that's a very good thing too.   Sorry for the cross-sport metaphor but both Sarah and Marcus are two home runs by you.  Congrats to her on her recent engagement!  Retirement and empty nest.  Peace and quiet or boring and stagnant?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:36 am

Bob

Been subbing pretty regular at the local high school

So I'm keeping busy

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down