BaronV
tjmakz
kdp59
bobheckler
bobc33
steve3344
15 posters

Go down

Cousins trade to Pelicans now official Empty Cousins trade to Pelicans now official

Post by steve3344 Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:36 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/sources-kings-agree-to-trade-demarcus-cousins-to-pelicans-050000759.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Cousins trade to Pelicans now official Empty Re: Cousins trade to Pelicans now official

Post by bobc33 Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:31 am

Wow, assuming Danny was interested couldn't we have offered more?

Back to top Go down

Cousins trade to Pelicans now official Empty Re: Cousins trade to Pelicans now official

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:16 am

VERY interested to see how well the frontcourt of Boogie and Cousins work. What a pair! Wow!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:25 am

So apparently Danny was not interested.

ha

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:47 am

What's ironic about this trade is that Tyreke Evans, who is going to Sacto in the trade, was drafted by Sacto.  Between IT and Evans Sacto has quite the track record of drafting talent and giving it up for peanuts.

What an amazingly dysfunctional franchise...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:27 am

My guess is Danny had Zero interest in Cousins, as he seems to have had the assets to better the deal that NO gave.

most likely his attitude was the kicker, but perhaps the feeling that he and Horford would not be a good match.

Out west though, we may see the era of "small ball" get hammered by the twin towers. if NO sneaks into the playoffs it might be interesting to how GS matches up to THEM (instead of the other way around).

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:20 am

It seems like the value of big men is not that high right now.
Apparently Philly can't get any lottery pick for Okafor.
The package Sacramento got for Cousins seems surprisingly low.
I know there's no guarantee Cousins will re-sign in New Orleans, but I expected more in return for Cousins. Sacramento continues to make poor decisions. Their drafting and trades have been embarrassingly bad.

There's a chance this trade could help Philly.
Philly has the right to swap 1st rounders with Sacramento this year as long as Sacramento's pick is in the top 10. Right now Sacramento has the 11th worst record in the NBA. Without Cousins, they could pretty easily drop down to having the sixth worst record in the NBA. If Sacramento gets lucky and has a top three pick, Philly would swap picks.
Also, Philadelphia owns Sacramento's unprotected 2019 first-round draft pick. Knowing Sacramento, that pick could be gold for Philadelphia.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by BaronV Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:30 am

I think a big part of why Danny and other GMs stayed away was that Cousins' agent came out and said that if the Kings trade him, he wouldn't resign with whatever team he was traded to. This probably also led to the lower return, as no one wanted to give away the farm for a rental player. This could have even been what Danny was referring to in his recent interview where he said he wasn't interested in making a major trade for a short term upgrade.

-V

BaronV

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:44 am

Cousins and his agent are quite upset today and were before the trade to New Orleans when it became known that he was back on the trade block. Sure, the agent said that Cousins would not sign with his new team because they both just lost a ton of money.

Being able to resign with the Kings was worth a total of about $85 M more to Cousins than he will be able to get from any other team after the 2018 free agency season begins. Not sure how much the agent would have gotten out of that $85M, but I would guess that it would be more than just pocket change.

Now Cousins may not actually sign with the Ps, but after the 2018 season he will sign with some NBA team, and he will not sign for pocket change then either if he is still near the player he is currently.

The agent may have scared the Ps a little to cause them to not give up as much, but the rest of the league was not going to offer any more

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:28 am

Ugh..
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:37 am

They gave him away for a bag of peanuts.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:53 am

cousins is under contract for next season, so I don't count that as a rental.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Thankfully, we can now stop hearing rumors about a trade to Boston.

In the long run, probably a good move for both clubs.  Pelicans get a monster frontcourt that might make it worth putting up with Cousins.  SAC gets Hield, a rapidly developing volume scorer.  They can retain Hield, or, if they think WCS is not ready, package him out again in the future to someplace like Philly, where they're loaded with bigs but need wings and any quality backcourt help.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Thank God..........he would have brought his toxic attitude to Boston and destroyed everything Brad has established for 3 years.

Now let's get rid of the Melo and Butler trade rumor and we all will have a good week.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:38 pm

112288 wrote:Thank God..........he would have brought his toxic attitude to Boston and destroyed everything Brad has established for 3 years.

Now let's get rid of the Melo and Butler trade rumor and we all will have a good week.

I'm with you on this one.

Some of the Celtic related rumors seem puzzling at best.  Ainge more or less says he doesn't want a player like Cousins, without directly mentioning his name, yet rumors persist.  We need a big, but not that bad.  Carmelo Anthony, I suppose, won't get the Boston fan base hopped up.  Pretty obvious he doesn't fit the current roster and style of play, not to mention the cost.  

Just like Anthony, however, Butler doesn't really fit our current offense.  He doesn't shoot off the catch well, and he slows down pace of play dramatically by holding the ball.  Yet those rumors persist.

I guess we all need something to debate.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:00 pm

"Now let's get rid of the Melo and Butler trade rumor and we all will have a good week".

I agree. I really want to hold on to the 2017 pick. I think there are 5 guys with the potential to be all stars, Fultz, Ball, Smith, Jackson, and Tatum. We are guaranteed 1 of the 5 (hopefully Fultz) so I see no need to make a move that would still not allow us to realistically win it all. I know the draft is a crap shoot, but does Butler or Melo project as long term, dynasty potential players? My hope (dream?) is that our current core coupled with 2 high lottery picks and a max free agent like George or Hayward will set us up for a long run of greatness. We should also keep in mind the benefits of having your draftees being your key players as it pertains to retaining them long term, bird rights and exceeding the cap to keep "your" players.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Hoping for Fultz.  Would be great to have a potential all-world point guard for once.  And one who would not be getting paid mega-millions for a few years.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Cousin's agent would have gotten out of that $8.5M.

I'm with you Steve, hoping for Fultz.

Glad that Cuz is not the newest Celt.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Cousins will enjoy NO...trust me on that one.

He does not have to sign an extension this year and will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2018 season.  Let's suppose that the change of scenery is good and he turns into a good citizen and the Pelicans start kicking the crap out of teams because they will have the # 1 4/5 combo.  He will get his money.

But if I was placing a bet it would suggest that the Pelicans will soon realize that character is far more important than ability.  He may be traded again within the next 12 months.

Celtics fans should be very pleased that Danny was not seeking to acquire this guy.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:33 pm

To get down to 15 players on the roster, Sacramento will waive Matt Barnes even though he has a $6.4m player option for the 2017-18 season. It looks like Sacramento has had enough of the malcontent personalities.

Bobby Marks @BobbyMarks42

Sacramento will incur a $6.12m cap hit this year on Barnes. Will likely stretch his $6.4m 17-18 cap hit over 3 seasons ($2.13m per year).
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Talk about  a dysfunctional franchise: Sacramento drafted Boogie , IT And Hassan Whiteside , all since 2012. They got Whiteside and Thomas in the second round. What did they do with those guys? They released Hassan in July 2012. They traded mighty mite to the Suns for Alex Oriakhi ( who?) , currently playing in Mexico in July 2014. and now this. To quote , Mr. Thomas; " I don`t even think NBA2K would let that trade happen even with the trade override option off   LOL" . So their return for three allstar quality players is Heild , Galloway and a couple middling draft choices. Adding insult to injury , to make the deal work they had to cut Matt Barnes and take a 6.12 million dollar cap hit. So maybe Cousins was a miscreant . What is their excuse with the other 2 guys? Didn`t fit the King profile of contented losers? They are throwing shade at a former player to mask their inadequacies. My guess is Cousins will thrive and the Kings will continue to stink. They have a nice new arena, though.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:34 pm

Judging the character of people you have never met is risky business imo. Ainge made a choice and he undoubtedly had his reasons. They just might not be the ones everybody is focusing on.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down