Celtics have cold feet with Butler, interested in PJ Tucker

+4
cowens/oldschool
wideclyde
sinus007
8 posters

Go down

Celtics have cold feet with Butler, interested in PJ Tucker Empty Rumor: Celtics interested in PJ Tucker

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:56 pm

SB NATION

Add him to the list of minor potential moves.

by Jeff Clark@celticsblog Feb 19, 2017, 5:05pm EST

Buried in an article about Jimmy Butler is a blurb about the Celtics interest in PJ Tucker.

via Sean Deveney

They can do that without Butler, instead trying to make a minor move for a contributor like Suns forward P.J. Tucker. Boston has expressed deep interest in Tucker ahead of the deadline, a source said. Get Tucker, and the Celtics can add depth without giving up on a potential No. 1 pick. And there is cap space available this summer to sign a player in free agency. Without trading for Butler, Boston could keep the pick and get a name player this summer.

Back to top Go down

Celtics have cold feet with Butler, interested in PJ Tucker Empty Re: Celtics have cold feet with Butler, interested in PJ Tucker

Post by sinus007 Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:24 pm

Hi,
This PJ Tucker doesn't make any sense. Unless, of course, he's part of a bigger trade.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Celtics have cold feet with Butler, interested in PJ Tucker Empty Re: Celtics have cold feet with Butler, interested in PJ Tucker

Post by wideclyde Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:01 am

Tucker is not a terrible player, but what would be the cost? His salary will have to be matched and it is somewhere around $5M.  Assuming that some draft picks are part of the deal, I wonder who goes to the Suns in the salary match ups?

I thought that Ainge has said that he doesn't want rental players

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:37 am

I saw that too and wondered what Tucker could bring for us.

he is a small 4 and a stocky 3.

what, he's going to play instead of Amir?

that's not gonna help out our rebounding or defense, IMO.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:39 am

We need him like I need a wart on my foot.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:39 am

The PJ Tucker interest is definitely a head scratcher.

He is an undersized big at only 6' 6" and plays a lot of minutes.  Averages 6 rebounds per game and 7 PPG.  Is a below average 3 point shooter but a solid defender.  He has an expiring $5.3 million contract this year.  At best he is a poor man's Crowder.

The Celtics would need a salary match (Jonas Jerebko or any combination of Young, Mickey, Jackson, i.e)

This deal cannot stand on it's own merits therefore there must be another deal in the works.

The Gallinari rumor is more intriguing.

What about the rebounder?

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics have cold feet with Butler, interested in PJ Tucker Empty Celtics have cold feet with Butler, interested in PJ Tucker

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:38 pm

REDS ARMY

Posted by Chuck M. on February 19, 2017

In his latest story for the Sporting News, Sean Deveney wonders why the Bulls and Celtics haven’t pulled the trigger on a trade for Jimmy Butler. It’s simple. Neither team is sold on it:

There have been tepid discussions about Butler-to-the-Celtics at various times over the past year, though nothing pressing in recent weeks, according to league sources. It’s safe to assume that there will be renewed talks this week. But that does not mean a deal will get done, not with both sides tentative about the wisdom of a trade that the rest of the NBA’s observer class seems to think is such an obvious fit.

But there are questions about how Butler would fit in Boston. Isaiah Thomas has established himself has the Celtics’ marquee player, and Butler would have to be willing to take a secondary role in Boston. That dynamic could be troublesome for the Celtics. Butler is also known in Chicago for his quirky and sometimes demanding personality. That could be a problem in the Boston locker room, a generally laid-back place.

The scuttlebutt is the Celtics are high enough on Markelle Fultz that they don’t want to trade away the chance to draft him. Not even for Butler. And since they won’t’ know their draft position until May, a mid-season deal (involving the 2017 Brooklyn pick) for Butler seems unlikely.

That takes us to Suns SF PJ Tucker:

Boston has expressed deep interest in Tucker ahead of the deadline, a source said. Get Tucker, and the Celtics can add depth without giving up on a potential No. 1 pick. And there is cap space available this summer to sign a player in free agency. Without trading for Butler, Boston could keep the pick and get a name player this summer.

Tucker is an amiable 31-year-old veteran who would fit well in Boston’s locker room.

Tucker’s strength is defense and rebounding (consider him the opposite of Gerald Green). Brian Robb suspects he can be had for a 2nd round pick or a protected 1st. Meh. My preference is to make a move for a rim protector like Andrew Bogut or Nerlens Noel.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:46 pm

I just posted something in another thread, agreeing with you on the Butler part of this.  It seemed worth mentioning again here.

Butler is a lousy fit in Boston.  Can't shoot off the catch well at all and slows pace of play by holding the ball.  Rumors aside, I wonder if there ever has been any real interest.

Tucker almost looks like he would be part of another deal sending someone away.  It doesn't look like we have a need for him in our frontcourt.

I agree with the writer that even the chance we might get to draft Fultz makes it worth sitting tight.  Fultz beside IT could possibly become one of the strongest backcourts around.  Even if we pick somewhere 2 - 4, we're potentially better off in the long run than parting with the Nets pick to get Butler.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:59 pm

DBOSS,

I do not like Galinari in a trade because even though he can shoot, he is not a rebounder that the Cs need, and he is going to cost some of the team's core if only to match his salary. Zeller, Young and Jackson will not get the deal done, and no way I give them Olynyk, Jerebko and Jackson (plus draft picks) for this guy.

I am not a terribly huge fan of Amir Johnson as a forward or center, but he would almost have to be included in such a trade. Johnson is going to be far away better at defense and rebounding than Galinari will/would be for the rest of this season, and rebounding is already our most glaring weakness.

Perhaps checking into Galinari if he gets bought out after the trade deadline would be a better idea.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:12 pm

NY WHY NOT COMBINE THE 2 POSTS?

HOPE ALL IS WELL.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:13 pm

NY WHY NOT COMBINE THE 2 POSTS?

HOPE ALL IS WELL.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:44 pm

Wide

Let me play the part of the Devil's advocate

Galinari is as good of a rebounder as either KO or Joanas. Neither Zeller or Jerebko are long term keepers. Jackson is the 4th PG on the team and is expendable.

Galinari would be a perfect fit on offense for the Celtics. He is not just a good shooter he is a great shooter.

I would keep Amir for at least the remainder of the season.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:01 pm

I haven't ran it through the trade machine but I would definitely give up Jerebko, Zeller and Jackson for Galinari. Would even throw in a 2nd or protected 1st for him. No way would I move Amir and weaken what is already our biggest weakness to attain him. Galinari is due to make 16.1 mil next year and then become an ufa. He also has a 15% trade kicker.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:18 pm

I believe Galinari has a player option for next year. If so , may be a couple month rental.

soft player

often injured

wants to be paid like a star

three reasons I don't like him
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:23 pm

112288 wrote:NY WHY NOT COMBINE THE 2 POSTS?

HOPE ALL IS WELL.

Your wish is my command!

(This offer limited to items considered legal by the US judicial system.)
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down