Devin Booker to Boston Celtics rookie Jaylen Brown: 'You're winning, so you should be more happy than me'

+4
Matty
Ktronic1
swish
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Devin Booker to Boston Celtics rookie Jaylen Brown: 'You're winning, so you should be more happy than me' Empty Devin Booker to Boston Celtics rookie Jaylen Brown: 'You're winning, so you should be more happy than me'

Post by bobheckler Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:22 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/03/devin_booker_to_boston_celtics.html#incart_river_index

Devin Booker to Boston Celtics rookie Jaylen Brown: 'You're winning, so you should be more happy than me'

Posted on March 25, 2017 at 4:00 PM

Devin Booker explains why team celebrated his 70 points even after loss to Boston Celtics

BY JAY KING

BOSTON -- Devin Booker had plenty of fun Friday night.

He became the youngest player ever to score 70 points in an NBA game. He received a standing ovation in Boston. He posed like Wilt Chamberlain for a photo, tweeted about being legendary (a reference to a conversation he once had with Kobe Bryant), and lapped up all sorts of praise for becoming just the sixth player ever to score that many points in a single game.

But Booker's Phoenix Suns also fell to the Boston Celtics, 130-120, after trailing by double-digits for the final 42:17. Even if his entire team felt like celebrating, they did it after a loss, which brought a strange feel to the entire scene.

After the game, Celtics forward Jaylen Brown congratulated Booker on his accomplishment -- and Booker actually told the rookie he should be more pleased with his own situation.

"I told him he's here in Boston," Booker explained later. "'You're winning, so you should be more happy than me."

While Booker received an ice shower from his teammates, Brown changed in the Celtics locker room, a somber place despite the team's win. After letting up for the final two quarters, Boston head coach Brad Stevens ripped into his team for its lingering inconsistency -- and the players appeared to take the message to heart. They dressed in near silence, as if appalled by the underwhelming way they had ended the game.

The contrast stood as one more sign of Brown's unique situation. Most high lottery picks begin their careers on teams like the Suns: reliant on youth, desperate for wins, itching to find something to celebrate, even if that means whooping and hollering after a loss. The Celtics reacted with such disappointment because they know a similar showing could cost them in the playoffs. Brown might have benefited from the freedom of a different role, but he is being molded by a proud, talented group of young veterans that are focused on making a deep playoff run. There is value in learning from winning players, on a winning team, while developing winning habits.

Booker should be plenty fine, too, of course. He can't even drink alcohol legally, but has already hung 70 on the Celtics at TD Garden.

"Jaylen Brown came up to me and said congrats," he said. "I have respect for him also. I think he took a visit to Kentucky when I was there so we had a little relationship there. He's gonna be a young star in this league so he just needs to keep working also so I see a lot of similarities between young players in this league trying to make a name for himself."

bob
MY NOTE:  "There is value in learning from winning players, on a winning team, while developing winning habits."  I agree 100%.  That's why what the Suns have done with Bledsoe and Chandler, and what the Lakers have done with Deng and Mozgov is NOT good for player development.  My old fencing master, an Olympian, used to say "Practice does not make perfect.  Only correct practice makes perfect".  Letting a bunch of kids run wild just to wear them out is what babysitters do.  It isn't what coaches and management of pro sports franchises should do.  They should plug young'uns into a system with other players who know how to lead by example.

On another note, I am quite impressed by the comments in this piece, post-game interviews as well and the youtube videos of Booker's demeanor.  He handled it about as well as anybody could.  His coach, on the other hand, is a shmuck.  "It's about making our kids great.  Don't like it?  Do something!".  Asshole.  You think teaching Booker how to be a ball hog is making him great?  I'm happy for the kid but don't tell me he just suddenly learned how to shoot last night. And what happens in the future when he hits one or two and then starts making bad shooting decisions and starts missing? Very impressed with Booker. Head Coach Earl Watson? Not so much.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Devin Booker to Boston Celtics rookie Jaylen Brown: 'You're winning, so you should be more happy than me' Empty Re: Devin Booker to Boston Celtics rookie Jaylen Brown: 'You're winning, so you should be more happy than me'

Post by swish Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 pm

When they had their 70 point plus games
Wilt was 25 years old
Kobe was 28
David Thompson was 23
Baylor was 26
David Robinson was 28
Booker was 20

With so much emphasis being placed on outside shooting in the modern game the importance of a players college shooting history would seem to me to be very important - especially when the player is coming out of a major conference.
As a 18 year old freshman at Kentucky - Booker shot .411 from 3 point land and.527 on his 2 point shots.
At the tender age of 20 - he sure is showing touch.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Devin Booker to Boston Celtics rookie Jaylen Brown: 'You're winning, so you should be more happy than me' Empty Re: Devin Booker to Boston Celtics rookie Jaylen Brown: 'You're winning, so you should be more happy than me'

Post by Ktronic1 Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:39 pm

I thought that was the stupidest comment for a head coach to make. "Do something about it". Like what? Take all of our players off the floor so that they wont be fouled? What that kid Booker did was epic but the coaching staff cheapened it by the way they chose to end the game.
As for Watson, don't worry, if and when they get a hint at winning basketball he will be long gone. Thats for sure

bobheckler wrote:http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/03/devin_booker_to_boston_celtics.html#incart_river_index

Posted on March 25, 2017 at 4:00 PM

Devin Booker explains why team celebrated his 70 points even after loss to Boston Celtics

BY JAY KING

BOSTON -- Devin Booker had plenty of fun Friday night.

He became the youngest player ever to score 70 points in an NBA game. He received a standing ovation in Boston. He posed like Wilt Chamberlain for a photo, tweeted about being legendary (a reference to a conversation he once had with Kobe Bryant), and lapped up all sorts of praise for becoming just the sixth player ever to score that many points in a single game.

But Booker's Phoenix Suns also fell to the Boston Celtics, 130-120, after trailing by double-digits for the final 42:17. Even if his entire team felt like celebrating, they did it after a loss, which brought a strange feel to the entire scene.

After the game, Celtics forward Jaylen Brown congratulated Booker on his accomplishment -- and Booker actually told the rookie he should be more pleased with his own situation.

"I told him he's here in Boston," Booker explained later. "'You're winning, so you should be more happy than me."

While Booker received an ice shower from his teammates, Brown changed in the Celtics locker room, a somber place despite the team's win. After letting up for the final two quarters, Boston head coach Brad Stevens ripped into his team for its lingering inconsistency -- and the players appeared to take the message to heart. They dressed in near silence, as if appalled by the underwhelming way they had ended the game.

The contrast stood as one more sign of Brown's unique situation. Most high lottery picks begin their careers on teams like the Suns: reliant on youth, desperate for wins, itching to find something to celebrate, even if that means whooping and hollering after a loss. The Celtics reacted with such disappointment because they know a similar showing could cost them in the playoffs. Brown might have benefited from the freedom of a different role, but he is being molded by a proud, talented group of young veterans that are focused on making a deep playoff run. There is value in learning from winning players, on a winning team, while developing winning habits.

Booker should be plenty fine, too, of course. He can't even drink alcohol legally, but has already hung 70 on the Celtics at TD Garden.

"Jaylen Brown came up to me and said congrats," he said. "I have respect for him also. I think he took a visit to Kentucky when I was there so we had a little relationship there. He's gonna be a young star in this league so he just needs to keep working also so I see a lot of similarities between young players in this league trying to make a name for himself."

bob
MY NOTE:  "There is value in learning from winning players, on a winning team, while developing winning habits."  I agree 100%.  That's why what the Suns have done with Bledsoe and Chandler, and what the Lakers have done with Deng and Mozgov is NOT good for player development.  My old fencing master, an Olympian, used to say "Practice does not make perfect.  Only correct practice makes perfect".  Letting a bunch of kids run wild just to wear them out is what babysitters do.  It isn't what coaches and management of pro sports franchises should do.  They should plug young'uns into a system with other players who know how to lead by example.

On another note, I am quite impressed by the comments in this piece, post-game interviews as well and the youtube videos of Booker's demeanor.  He handled it about as well as anybody could.  His coach, on the other hand, is a shmuck.  "It's about making our kids great.  Don't like it?  Do something!".  Asshole.  You think teaching Booker how to be a ball hog is making him great?  I'm happy for the kid but don't tell me he just suddenly learned how to shoot last night.  And what happens in the future when he hits one or two and then starts making bad shooting decisions and starts missing?  Very impressed with Booker.  Head Coach Earl Watson?  Not so much.

Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:47 pm

In today's game vs Charlotte Booker is 6-15 for 21 points in 30 minutes at the end of the 3rd quarter. 20 points is a lot of points for 3 quarters, but so is 30 minutes. He sat 2 minutes/quarter.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:49 pm

had Avery Bradley played Booker would have scored a whole lot less.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Watson isn't the first coach to utter those words. Crowder wants to go on Instagram and run his mouth after a win against a doormat team after getting torched? LOL Congrats to the kid and to those Celtics fans who stood to recognize a great performance. Not often that guys like Jae Marcus or Avery get lit up. In situations like this, let the losers have their small claim to fame, and keep focus on what is most important. Crushing Miami. Getting home court in the ECF. Winning 18!

17goingon18
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:16 pm

Booker with 23 points of 7-17 shooting playing 35 minutes.  Dude must have been tired from the previous game.

Last edited by bobc33 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:49 pm

Just one of 'those' nights. I had one once--went five for five and got a free throw to fall, too. Eleven points, and, we won that game.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:23 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:Watson isn't the first coach to utter those words. Crowder wants to go on Instagram and run his mouth after a win against a doormat team after getting torched? LOL  Congrats to the kid and to those Celtics fans who stood to recognize a great performance. Not often that guys like Jae Marcus or Avery get lit up. In situations like this, let the losers have their small claim to fame, and keep focus on what is most important. Crushing Miami. Getting home court in the ECF. Winning 18!

17goingon18
The coach is an ass but point taken. Guard the guy instead of denigrating his performance after he laid 70 on you.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down