swish
tjmakz
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
Shamrock1000
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fultz's comments on potentially playing with IT Empty Fultz's comments on potentially playing with IT

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:20 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/potential-no-1-pick-fultz-playing-it-would-be-craziest-backcourt

Sounds like Markelle Fultz is already looking toward a future in green.

Fultz, the 6-foot-5 guard from the University of Washington, projected by many to be the top pick this June in the NBA draft, tells Andrew Sharp of SI.com that he's been close to Isaiah Thomas since working out with the Celtics guard and ex-Washington Husky in the summer. And he forsees them working well together should Fultz wind up in Boston.

The Celtics have the best chance (25 percent) of landing the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft Lottery.

Here's an excerpt of the SI.com feature on Fultz.

I've talked to him [Isaiah Thomas] a lot," Fultz says. And yes, the family is well aware that Boston currently has the best odds at the No. 1 pick. "We always talk about the opportunity. That would be the craziest backcourt. The way he scores, the way I can pass, and the way I can score... we can switch between the one and two.

So, to hear Fultz tell it, the two point guards could co-exist quite nicely together in Boston.

The draft lottery is May 16.

Tags: 2017 NBA Draft, Boston Celtics, CSNNE Newswire, Isaiah Thomas, Markelle Fultz, NBA Draft lottery

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Fultz's comments on potentially playing with IT Empty Re: Fultz's comments on potentially playing with IT

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:09 pm

Yeah, but can he defend like Bradley or Smart? We need someone on the floor, in the back court, who can defend and it isn't IT.

Still, he has a better attitude than Ball, who is much easier to swallow than his father.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Fultz's comments on potentially playing with IT Empty Re: Fultz's comments on potentially playing with IT

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:12 pm

nycelt has told me he is an elite level defender

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Fultz is not an elite defender at all.
I'm not even sure he's a good defender.
I am not as high on Fultz as many are.
He has a reputation for not giving his all.
He seems to play with no urgency or fire in him.
Watch some full game highlights of him on youtube if you can.
In my opinion, Fultz is no lock for the #1 pick.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:38 pm

Is he Fultz of himself?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Draft picks are way to risky - buy or trade for the established elite player when ever possible.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Swish, what options do you see as a trade? For whom could we trade the #1 pick?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:56 pm

worcester wrote:Swish, what options do you see as a trade? For whom could we trade the #1 pick?

worcester

It takes two willing partners to make a deal - and that's easier said than done - but it is doable.

Here are the players that I believe could be available - nothing more than my personal opinion.

*Jimmy Butler
*Paul George
*DeAndre Jordan
*Blake Griffin
*Andre Drummond
*Then there are several elite, like Westbrook, that are fantasy world dreams that I suspect would be boarder line miracles to obtain.
* We are well stocked with desired trading chips - and one thing for sure is that at least one of our Net picks will be in demand - and who knows what other players or draft picks we would have to ante up to make a deal?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:57 pm

If the Clips don't make it to the WCF then I think Griffin is the most likely to be available. Ifthe Bulls have a good run, no way do they trade Butler. Paul George will be a Laker in 15 months no matter what. DeAndre Jordan, possible, but he needs a Chris Paul PG to be effective. We don't have one of those. Maybe with Fultz or Ball, but then what could we give LAC? Andre Drummond I really know nothing about.

Anyways I like your creative thinking. Our departed Sam always favored getting established vets. I personally favor building long term through the draft if we have lottery pickls available, but then again, how is that working for Minny?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:03 pm

swish wrote:
worcester wrote:Swish, what options do you see as a trade? For whom could we trade the #1 pick?

worcester

It takes two willing partners to make a deal - and that's easier said than done -  but it is doable.

Here are the players that I believe could be available - nothing more than my personal opinion.

*Jimmy Butler
 *Paul George
 *DeAndre Jordan
 *Blake Griffin
 *Andre Drummond
 *Then there are several elite, like Westbrook, that are fantasy world dreams that I suspect would be boarder line miracles to obtain.
 * We are well stocked with desired trading chips - and one thing for sure is that at least one of our Net picks will be in demand - and who knows what other players or draft picks we would have to ante up to make a deal?

swish

Honestly, I'm not sure I would give up a nets pick for any of the players on your list. I assume your general logic is that when trading for/signing players, you mitigate risk because they are a known entity. Makes sense. However, I would argue that all the listed players are "known", and none guarantee a thing. DeAndre and Drummond - just no. If Blake were a Celtic, would he really have better surrounding cast than he has in LA. No. George and Butler maybe could thrive on a better team, but I don't see them as "the piece". Westbrook couldn't win with Durant and Harden. Yeah, his numbers are nuts, but they couldn't be maintained on a balanced team. In summary, I to feel like we know the value of all those players, and none would put us over the top.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
swish wrote:

worcester

It takes two willing partners to make a deal - and that's easier said than done -  but it is doable.

*Jimmy Butler
 *Paul George
 *DeAndre Jordan
 *Blake Griffin
 *Andre Drummond

swish

Honestly, I'm not sure I would give up a nets pick for any of the players on your list. I assume your general logic is that when trading for/signing players, you mitigate risk because they are a known entity. Makes sense. However, I would argue that all the listed players are "known", and none guarantee a thing. DeAndre and Drummond - just no. If Blake were a Celtic, would he really have better surrounding cast than he has in LA. No. George and Butler maybe could thrive on a better team, but I don't see them as "the piece". Westbrook couldn't win with Durant and Harden. Yeah, his numbers are nuts, but they couldn't be maintained on a balanced team. In summary, I to feel like we know the value of all those players, and none would put us over the top.

Shamrock,

You provided a perspective regarding Griffin I don't believe I've heard before.  If the Clippers, with all their talent including Griffin, aren't better than GSW, San Antonio or Houston then what will he bring us? Most people look at Griffin and salivate but his team should be MUCH better than ours and they are not. Why not?

Well, he'd be an upgrade over Amir, so that's something.  Still, an All-League player like Griffin with two other All-League players (Paul and Jordan), and Redick and Crawford and they appear to be topped out.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
swish wrote:

worcester

*Jimmy Butler
 *Paul George
 *DeAndre Jordan
 *Blake Griffin
 *Andre Drummond

swish

Shamrock1000

By adding any one of those players I believe that the Celtics would be in a better position to contend for the title - versus the betterment that they could receive from the Nets #1 pick - especially if it turns out to be numbers 2, 3, or 4. If your use of "over the top" is meant to imply that the Celtics would win it all by adding any one of those players then I want you to know that I would just be rating them as a legitimate contender - and that's a rating that generally comes down to about 6 teams a year. I would be happy with that.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:46 am

I hope Ainge doesn't trade the 2017 Nets pick if it's the #1 pick.

The Sixers were asking about Avery Bradley at the trade deadline this year.
Maybe the Celts can get another lottery pick this year if they dangle Bradley.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:56 am

First off... Fierce; welcome to the group!

On to the topic...

Fultz and Thomas in the backcourt together would be incredible.  Fultz ability to rebound and block shots would make up for IT's shortcomings (no pun intended).  Fultz is probably one of the better defending guards at his size and age I've seen in years.  And he is most definitely a scorer.  If you look at most of the scouting combines that contribute to the mock draft boards, they commonly use a 1 - 10 scale in evaluations.  I don't think I've seen a Fultz skill rated lower than 8.  Then again, forget them, you simply needed to watch Fultz play.

It's true his games were tough to follow on TV, since he plays out west and for a team that wasn't high on the network list.  If you enjoy the college game as much as I do, and want to spend the money to see players like Fultz, DirecTV has a package called Full Court.  The various cable operators must have something similar.

The only downside in us drafting Fultz would be adding to a crowded backcourt.  He may be a once in a lifetime type player, however, and could open up trade possibilities using members of our backcourt group.

If we have the #1 pick (I'd be shocked), hard not to go with Fultz.  If it was my choice to make, I'd consider Tatum or Jackson with that top pick as well.  Our current backcourt, with a strong shooting SF and somebody, anybody, who can rebound at one of the other forward spots would be perfect.  If we could strengthen our bench by having players like Crowder, or a further developed Brown, combine with Smart and perhaps some wise free agent choices, we would look really good.

It all begins with the draft this year.  Using that pick wisely, with the abundance of promising NCAA players declaring, could pay dividends for years.  Stocking the backcourt further, and then looking for trade packages, may be a better hand to play than attempting to just trade that Nets pick.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:13 pm

NYCelt I'm glad you have the college broadcast package and sounds like you have seen Fultz play in live/complete games, all I have seen were clips. I'm trusting your judgement that he can defend, other pundits have said he is a very good defender, with long arms and very active. My next question is does he have that elite motor? IT, AB and Rozier all have it, they can be a blur and turn on the juice at the drop of a dime, Marcus Smart does not quite have that elite motor, neither does DeAngelo Russell. Rondo and Dwayne Wade sure had it when they were young.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:55 pm

Cow,

The kid has it all in my opinion, motor too from what I have observed. I've seen some scouting reports that say he has to develop his leadership skills more, but I discount that. I mean, I don't think he's even 19 quite yet, it will take a while for that one. He can guide college upperclassmen now, so my guess is given a few years and all that goes with growing a little older, he'll be fine with older pros too.

I still highly doubt we get him, because I have that same belief that we can't land the top pick that every Celtics fan has down to their very marrow. Someone is going to have a future star in Fultz, but if we can get Tatum or Jackson, that may be more than enough for what we really need.

As for the TV package, I think my wife is getting a little tired of having me pile those on. Basketball packages, MLB, NFL, and half the time we're so busy with other things I have to watch recorded games. You sure can catch almost any game you're willing to pay to see!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:12 pm

NYCelt wrote:Cow,

The kid has it all in my opinion, motor too from what I have observed.  I've seen some scouting reports that say he has to develop his leadership skills more, but I discount that.  I mean, I don't think he's even 19 quite yet, it will take a while for that one.  He can guide college upperclassmen now, so my guess is given a few years and all that goes with growing a little older, he'll be fine with older pros too.

I still highly doubt we get him, because I have that same belief that we can't land the top pick that every Celtics fan has down to their very marrow.  Someone is going to have a future star in Fultz, but if we can get Tatum or Jackson, that may be more than enough for what we really need.

As for the TV package, I think my wife is getting a little tired of having me pile those on.  Basketball packages, MLB, NFL, and half the time we're so busy with other things I have to watch recorded games.  You sure can catch almost any game you're willing to pay to see!

Regards

Agree.

Also, I think the Celts are due to have some good fortune in the lottery after so many disappointments in the past.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:46 pm

fierce wrote:

The kid has it all in my opinion, motor too from what I have observed.  I've seen some scouting reports that say he has to develop his leadership skills more, but I discount that.  I mean, I don't think he's even 19 quite yet, it will take a while for that one.  He can guide college upperclassmen now, so my guess is given a few years and all that goes with growing a little older, he'll be fine with older pros too.

I still highly doubt we get him, because I have that same belief that we can't land the top pick that every Celtics fan has down to their very marrow.  Someone is going to have a future star in Fultz, but if we can get Tatum or Jackson, that may be more than enough for what we really need.

As for the TV package, I think my wife is getting a little tired of having me pile those on.  Basketball packages, MLB, NFL, and half the time we're so busy with other things I have to watch recorded games.  You sure can catch almost any game you're willing to pay to see!

Regards

Agree.

Also, I think the Celts are due to have some good fortune in the lottery after so many disappointments in the past.

Sort of an anti-karma thing?

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Here's the draftexpress analysis of Markelle Fultz.
I generally agree with their full analysis.
The one part that scares me about Fultz, is how casual he approaches the game, on the offensive and defensive end. He is highly talented, but he definitely lacks any kind of internal fire while on the court.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Markelle-Fultz-90302/
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:20 pm

gyso wrote:
fierce wrote:

Regards

Agree.

Sort of an anti-karma thing?

Not really.
Just law of averages.

Getting Markelle Fultz is the closest thing to getting Tim Duncan.
The guy just has no weakness.
He reminds me of Kyrie Irving, only bigger.

Hopefully this is the year the Celts get lucky in the lottery.
If not then there's always the 2018 Nets pick.

The KG and Pierce trade is the gift the keeps on giving.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Here's the part about Fultz motor.
If he's not drafted #1, this will probably be why.

"He has a very casual approach to the game, which manifests itself on both ends of the floor, and makes him look like he's operating at half speed at times. Offensively, he has a tendency to get too cute at times with his finishes inside the paint, passes and shot-selection, as he takes a lot of tough, contested looks in the mid-range area, and finished the season shooting just 50% from 2-point range. He will turn the ball over at times trying to get too fancy with his moves or passes, attempting to thread the needle for impossible highlight reel passes". - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Markelle-Fultz-90302/ ©DraftExpress
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:30 pm

I think part of the reason why Fultz has a casual approach to the game is because he can do whatever he wants on the court.
He makes it look so easy.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:36 pm

fierce wrote:I think part of the reason why Fultz has a casual approach to the game is because he can do whatever he wants on the court.

He was a good scorer on a very bad team.
He plays at 1/2 speed.
He's no Westbrook, Lillard, Lowry or similar players who play at full speed.
The more I watch his game video (not just his best highlights), the more I am concerned about his internal motor.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:35 pm

tjmakz wrote:
fierce wrote:I think part of the reason why Fultz has a casual approach to the game is because he can do whatever he wants on the court.

He was a good scorer on a very bad team.
He plays at 1/2 speed.
He's no Westbrook, Lillard, Lowry or similar players who play at full speed.
The more I watch his game video (not just his best highlights), the more I am concerned about his internal motor.

I think Fultz is more Kyrie than Westbrook or Lowry.

There's always some area of concern for every potential #1 pick.
But I think Fultz will thrive under Brad Stevens.

fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:34 am

I also disagree with trading this years Nets pick. We don't get many chances to get an elite young player that we can salary control for years.

you have to take that chance when you do. This draft is deep enough ( Fultz, J. Jackson, Ball and Tatum) that any of the top four picks could become regular all-star players or better.

and I was one all for trading last years #3 pick in a deal for a payer like Butler last year.

last years draft was not considered as deep or in quality as this one.

I do understand the idea that trading for a player who is already an all-star moves us up the food chain now. I generally agree with that, however not in this years draft.

interesting thought about Bradley moving to Philly. I never saw those rumors this year and with Noel now gone ( and a RFA anyway). I don't think Philly would give the #5 pick for Bradley's expiring contract however. But perhaps a revisit of the Okafor to Boston rumors could start.

of course that's only if we draft a guard with our fist pick. If its Jackson or Tatum, our glut of players would be at the three spot then.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next